• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Muralli: I will only be a Part Time MP, BB Voters for $17K you don't get me full time

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Muralli: I will only be a Part Time MP, BB Voters for $17K you don't get me full

Both Sam and I specifically mentioned the Westminster Model because we know that US politicians in Senate and Congress are full-time. That is the reason why lobby groups in the US are big business because these politicians have no clue about the outside world. The Medical, Pharmaceutical etc are multi-dollar business in the US with offices staffed with hundred of people in Washington just to hold each Rep and Senators hand. The Singapore government also engages lobby firms in the US to look after out interest.

Murali is an idiot for using the term part-time. It belittles the work of genuine members of Parliament. Take the example of Chiam, JBJ and Low. They all had a day job still spent hours and days doing constituency work. Low even attends funerals without talking about it. And he has a business to run.

Just because you are a full time MP does not mean you have stopped being a lawyer, doctor, etc. A wide range of professions represented in the Parliament is desirable. But this is increasingly becoming extinct as more and more politicians in singapore are coming from just one profession. i.e. Soldiering. In many countries, MPs that are professionals in their respective fields before joining politics, continue to use their private practice know how in the politics. For example, a MP who was an accountant or financial planner in private life can be assigned or nominated for Parliamentary finance or budget committee. Do you see this happening in the Parliament? You don't see it at all. Therefore, your comments about how its good to have a diverse profession in Parliament means didily shit as their collective knowledge is not being utilized at all. Once in Parliament, they toe the party line, and they are not consulted on govt policies that concern their areas of expertise. In other words, they vote the way they are told. So, you theory is nice, but flawed in singapore.

In many countries, MPs and other politicians are paid only a small allowance. maybe a couple of thousands $ a month. And they are usually councilors or mayors running a town. these clowns are running a country. They have to vote on matters of national concern like laws and national budgets. They are equivalent to a US Senator or Representative in the US. Kindly point out to me which one in the US Senate is doing it on a part time basis. In any case, if they are paid a small stipend, then its totally understandable that they retain their other jobs. this is not the case here. An MP is paid well enough never to work at another job. If they want to know what is wrong in their ward, and what is going on, they can't be in an aircon office on the 30th floor meeting millionaire clients. that is not the reality of their constituents.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Muralli: I will only be a Part Time MP, BB Voters for $17K you don't get me full

I see. So, by your own admission, you are supporting a PAP candidate that is dumb? And also planning to work part time only?
Huh? Where did I express my support for Murali.

I would like CSJ to win the seat as it would enhance the democratic process in the country.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

MP is not a full time job i agree,they are just being bribed 17,000 a month to say Yes to whatever PAP says in parliament and act as spokesmen and advertising agent for PAP and give handouts to the occasional poor destitute constituent voter like they are Father Christmas,infact PAP should change their uniforms to red and require every MP to say Ho HO HO merry christmas.the whole system from top down to the destitute voter on the street is just one big elaborate bribe job.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

MP is not a full time job i agree,they are just being bribed 17,000 a month to say Yes to whatever PAP says in parliament and act as spokesmen and advertising agent for PAP and give handouts to the occasional poor destitute constituent voter.the whole system from top down to the destitute voter on the street is just one big elaborate bribe job.

Nothing to do with $17,000 MPs have to vote along party lines unless the whip is lifted. It's the same in all counties that have adopted the Westminster model.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nothing to do with $17,000 MPs have to vote along party lines unless the whip is lifted. It's the same in all counties that have adopted the Westminster model.

the combination of the 17,000 dollars a month and the party whip is sufficient to ensure that the mps' cocks are in full erect and salute everytime in front of the PAP's mast flag.nothing hurts more than a loss of income,everyone can attest to that feeling,its enough to make one go mad and go on a rampage.iv seen company directors gas themselves in their car garage after losing their jobs and fat paychecks and becoming redundant poor and destitute.

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal

Both Sam and I specifically mentioned the Westminster Model because we know that US politicians in Senate and Congress are full-time. That is the reason why lobby groups in the US are big business because these politicians have no clue about the outside world. The Medical, Pharmaceutical etc are multi-dollar business in the US with offices staffed with hundred of people in Washington just to hold each Rep and Senators hand. The Singapore government also engages lobby firms in the US to look after out interest.

Murali is an idiot for using the term part-time. It belittles the work of genuine members of Parliament. Take the example of Chiam, JBJ and Low. They all had a day job still spent hours and days doing constituency work. Low even attends funerals without talking about it. And he has a business to run.

Agreed with scroobal on this. Full time politicians have to use their time in office to call potential donors instead of using their time to push and implement policies for their voters. This is not fair to the voters who voted the person in. See the video below regarding this issue.

[video=youtube;Ylomy1Aw9Hk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylomy1Aw9Hk[/video]

Since we are on the topic on MP's duties, perhaps what this by election has shown is the flaw in the TC's act. The TC act actually muddles the role and function of the MPs. In this by election, we have seen bickering between the 2 sides about what is the town council and URA's role in the NPR program. The NPR program end up becoming a debate about semantics and one of the main thing I hate about politics is the argument about semantics.

One example is the oppies blasting Murali's 1.9 million to upgrade HDB flats and withdrawing them if he is not elected and saying that it is a veiled threat. Murali is not really wrong as he cannot implement the NPR program if he is not part of the town council. Murali could have phased it better but as we all know, PAP MPs are mainly bureaucrats and tend to fall short on the PR side.

Sigh, it appears any future by election is mainly about who can run a TC better instead of the issues they can bring to Parliament.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you are tired of high chief executive compensation, you’re probably not going to like the latest issue du jour: rising director pay.

The issue is front and center because of litigation brought against the Internet behemoth Facebook, claiming that Facebook’s directors voted to pay themselves too much by raising the average compensation of outside directors to $461,265 for 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/business/dealbook/no-clear-answer-on-director-pay.html

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

$17,000 is hardly a princely sum. It's what an MD of a small company will get for running an outfit of 50 people or less.

The $17,000 is an allowance to enable the MP to do his job of REPRESENTING his constituents in Parliament.

pls dont tell me these jokers are worth 17,000 a month,they are nothing but small town politicians in charge of a tiny village,in china they would not even be the lowest of the low,ikan billis size.in china the hierarchy is massive,they would have to fight thru thousands and thousands of politicos and village chiefs and battle for provinces and territories,before they even get to the executive level,the level of xi jin ping.these PAP maggots are not even worth $1000 USD for the value they produce compared to their PRC counterparts.

jw5

Loyal

Huh? Where did I express my support for Murali.

I would like CSJ to win the seat as it would enhance the democratic process in the country.

It's good to know that you are so concerned about SG even after being away for so many years. :wink:

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wah first they come in from the back door. Now they are half in half out?

This shows how PAP MPs are popular and committed!

Only in Singapore unpopular and uncommitted people gets elected into Parliament.

Enthusiastic politicians like CSJ and JB gets defamed bankrupted jailed and kick out of Parliament and remained out of politics till this day.

What a sorry state of politics in Singapore.

I really feel very sorry for the country!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

One example is the oppies blasting Murali's 1.9 million to upgrade HDB flats and withdrawing them if he is not elected and saying that it is a veiled threat. Murali is not really wrong as he cannot implement the NPR program if he is not part of the town council. Murali could have phased it better but as we all know, PAP MPs are mainly bureaucrats and tend to fall short on the PR side.

Murali is a lawyer for fucks sake. And a very expensive one too. If he can't put it any better then that, he does not deserve to be a lawyer.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I know for sure that many of the BB residents don't earn $17K a month. Many , in fact, are struggling to make ends meet and they hold down full time jobs. Some even have to work two jobs to survive. To hear from their candidate that he will be drawing $17K a month, but he will not be dedicating full time to the job of looking after the constituency doesn't go down well with the residents in BB. Why doesn't he dedicate full time to his legal profession which he probably makes hundreds of thousands a year and let someone else more willing to go full time to be the MP elect instead ? Is the $17K a month MP pay that much to hanker for ?

Last edited:

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal

The issue for voters is not about greed. It boils down to the fact that PAP MPs regard their role in the constituency as just a stepping stone to better places in life, and hence, their commitment to the welfare of residents is suspect. Take for instance philanderer David Ong's grandiose million dollar plans for BB - if not for the By Election, we would not know that not much has came out of those plans thus far.

With Murali's statement, it is clear that he wants to be no different from the hordes of PAP MPs who are doing the same thing - having a full time career and moonlighting as an MP at night for $14,500 per month. He wants to be nothing more than average. Why should BB residents accept that?

Look at Murali...He needs Tharman and GF to speak for him...Is he a leader or a follower? Do we vote for a leader or follower at the BB BE?

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know for sure that many of the BB residents don't earn $17K a month. Many , in fact, are struggling to make ends meet and they hold down full time jobs. Some even have to work two jobs to survive. To hear from their candidate that he will be drawing $17K a month, but he will not be dedicating full time to the job of looking after the constituency doesn't go down well with the residents in BB. Why doesn't he dedicate full time to his legal profession which he probably makes hundreds of thousands a year and let someone else more willing to go full time to be the MP elect instead ? Is the $17K a month MP pay that much to hanker for ?

Problem is few BB residents want to stand up for election!

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal

$17k is nothing for a lawyer. The cocksuckers in here think $17k is big fuck!

17k per month can live comfortably in angmo countries with good social policies!

Singaporeans always think they have no enough even when they make millions!

That is why Singaporeans dun smile!

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bukit Batok voters, consider the following recent comments from the PAP Candidate Mr. Murali.

There is no need for Members of Parliament (MP) to serve residents on a full-time basis and give up their day jobs, said Murali Pillai, who is contesting in the Bukit Batok by-election.

First, this Indian fork tongue says that he will unswervingly serve BB residents and that he will be a great MP, and do everything he can for them. In the same breath, he says he will only discharge his MP duties part time, as there is no need for a full time MP. So what is he really saying?

He is saying that BB residents don’t deserve to get him for his full time service even though he is paid $17K by them per month. He is not a Minister or some important figure in the Govt. He is merely a lawyer. No doubt, a highly paid lawyer. He law practice is so lucrative and profitable that basically $17k a month gets a only a few hours with him. Is this what BB voters really want, a part time very expensive MP? In this case, Chee is a much better bet, as he has promised to make this his full time job.

I personally think that when a politician is paid this huge amount of money ($204,000 per year), he does not need another job. Even in ultra expensive Singapore, $204,000 is more than enough to live on. The fact he cannot even be bothered to make himself available full time to the voters of BB is a big fat slap on the face for them. He is telling them that his rich millionaire clients that come to him for legal work are more important then the voters. What a bloody hypocrite. What is he afraid of? Being poor? Even after he leaves politics, he will be easily in demand by top law firms and will be paid handsomely for his name to be on their door.

It just boils down to greed. BB Voters need to ask themselves whether they want another greedy, money grubbing PAP candidate, or someone who will be in his office all the time, and will Do nothing else but work in BB with the residents? On top of that, this ungrateful son has the audacity to insult his late father’s memory by claiming his father would approve such a part time MP arrangement.

Remember, the PAP dropped the ball in Bukit Batok already by putting in a candidate that resigned after only a few months due to an affair. The PAP need to make it up to the people of BB by putting in a candidate that will be with them all the time and compensate for the copulating ex-MP. But the PAP is so arrogant that they not only did not put forth the best possible candidate, they have actually put forth a Part Time Candidate!! How is this in anyway making it up to the people of Bukit Batok? If our friend Murali only shows up at his constituency 10 hours a week, and makes 40 hours worth of appearances a month, that works out to $425 per hour. I supposed he is offering a discount to the BB residents as his hourly billing rate at Rajah and Tann should be more? What a joke. Of course, all the PAP porlumpars will say that he does not need to be there full time because everything is run smoothly by his PAP office. If that is the case, why do we need a MP for BB? And if that is the case, why don’t we make the office manager the MP? Chee should use this latest information to whack Murali. Not much time left.

All PAP MPs are part time since 1965. The one who passed away was 0% time for the last decade.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Full-time MPs is not something I would agree with especially under the Westminster model. We need representation from a wide range of recognised and proven professionals and achievers. In an ideal parliament the would come from practising doctors, lawyers, academics unionists, entrepreneurs, small business owners, corporate captains, NGOS, cultural and sports identities. What we do not need is full time politicians except for political appointees to run government such as Ministers and political secretaries.

If it was meant to be a full-time positions, the qualified pool that you are able to tap would be small as many are not prepared to abandon their career and we certainly do not need a whole bunch of retirees. A member of Parliament is not a care giver for the constituency.

Look at PAP MPs Baey Yam Keng and Foo Mee Har. They are the first full time PAP MPs and they are not renowned for their professional background. Every one knows that Standard Chartered Bank could no longer carry her. She has reached her competency level. Baey is selfie king and thinks that he is fashion icon and have you heard anything wise this guy has ever said.

Look at Low Thia Kiang, JBJ, Marshall, Gerald Giam, Png Eng Hat, Chiam etc. They are all effective and they have their own business or are employed. The Parliament here is only 5 years and no one is assured of a full time career in parliament. So anyone with common sense is not going to be putting all his eggs in one basket unless he is wealthy, does not need to work or cannot be employed gainfully. I am sure that we do not need such people in numbers.

MPs and their party members provide the resources to man meet the people sessions which is vitally important but these come from party funds primarily membership fees, donations and the volunteers elbow grease. There is also the allowance provided by law to engage legislative assistants to help in parliamentary work and research.

Take the example from PAP camp of Dr Lily Neo and Dr Tan Cheng Bock. Both ran clinics and knew the ground very well due to their work. I would dread the day when we have useless people who cannot find work or too rich to work. No professional or an achiever is going to spend 5 years of his life being an MP and doing nothing else. Local municipal govts such a town councils and he government at large serve the residents and the voters. We need the MPs for their minds, skills and their ability to represent their voters in parliament and not do grunt work. That is done by someone else.

I do however suggest dropping the pay of an MP which is too high and attract the wrong sort of people rather than someone genuinely concerned about the people and country and does not do it for money.

UK MPs are full time MPs with only a portion sitting on boards bu this must be declared to parliament and their parties. They travel hundred of miles weekly between parliament, home and their constituencies. They earn their pay.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

$17,000 is hardly a princely sum. It's what an MD of a small company will get for running an outfit of 50 people or less.

The $17,000 is an allowance to enable the MP to do his job of REPRESENTING his constituents in Parliament.

Oh, didn't know MD's job is so relax and easy, just like a part time job with no accountability of such.

I thought usually MD are fired if they could not achieve business objectives.

At $17,000 a month guaranteed for 5 years, assuming no extra curriculum activities, that's really a nice part time effort ( note: not a job).

He's dumb to use that term. What do you expect from an Ah Neh.

Oh, now BB may even get a dumb part time estate manager that get paid $17,000 till next GE. Assuming he did not eat out but just wayang through it after BE, assuming he won?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Oh, didn't know MD's job is so relax and easy, just like a part time job with no accountability of such.

I thought usually MD are fired if they could not achieve business objectives.

At $17,000 a month guaranteed for 5 years, assuming no extra curriculum activities, that's really a nice part time effort ( note: not a job).

Oh, now BB may even get a dumb part time estate manager that get paid $17,000 till next GE. Assuming he did not eat out but just wayang through it after BE, assuming he won?

Saying an MP's job is easy is like saying it's easy being a parent.

It can be as easy or as hard as you make it to be.

Try telling your mum that parenting is a breeze and see what her response is.