• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

One way Singapore’s schools make you stupid: the fixed mindset

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Statement 1: Intelligence is set in stone at birth. (If a person is really stupid, he can work hard to learn new things, but he will never be very good at anything.)

Statement 2: Intelligence is dynamic, changeable, and is able to be improved. (If a person puts in the proper effort, he can learn anything he wants to, within reason.)

I remember wanting to do well for some kind of IQ test when I was in Primary 3, so that I could get into the Gifted Education Programme (GEP). My parents were obviously and understandably proud of me for passing the first round of testing, which was given to all the students in my school, but they told me that passing the test was unimportant — all that mattered was that I tried my best. The second round of testing was held on a Saturday, and was purely voluntary.

The school corridors were comfortingly quiet when I took the test. I was used to the corridors being a deafening maelstrom of prepubescent boys (ACJS, noisy kids in the 90s), and the silence only helped me to focus more on the questions in front of me. There were several questions I had trouble with, but I wasn’t worried about them. I figured that the other boys would be having problems as well. My confidence came from the happy fact of a machine telling me that I was a genius — the machine being one of those fortune telling machines that doubled as a weighing machine, at 20 cents a go. After being told by that machine that I was a genius, I spent way too much time dancing around my sister singing I’m a genius, I’m a genius! And if memory serves me well, I truly believed it — my parents’ friends calling me “The Little Professor” (I wore really thick spectacles) probably didn’t help my sister’s case that I was being an obnoxious brat.

It was thus an earth-shattering blow to my views of myself and the world when the test results came back. Something like: Sorry, Kevin has not been accepted into the Gifted Education Programme. Still, he is a very bright boy. Keep up the good work!

I had to relinquish my former status as a genius. As the months and years rolled forward, I would watch the GEP boys as they paraded around the school like the precocious geniuses everyone thought they were (and some of them did strut) with a mixture of envy and something close to disgust. It was a disgust at how proud they were of themselves, and a disgust with myself that I couldn’t be one of them. Mine was an injured pride.

It was in Primary 3 that I stopped consistently getting 99s and 100s for almost all of my tests — I started getting 95s and 96s, and in the case of Chinese, 85s (all over 100). My parents kept on reinforcing this message: just try your best, that will be enough. A 100/100 test score would have been meaningless to them if I didn’t put in my full effort, but a 60/100 score would have been wonderful if I had struggled with all my might to get there.

I persuaded myself that I was still trying my best, even though my scores were dropping. I comforted myself with the fact that, besides Chinese and Art, I was still close to the top of the class almost all the time.

These days I wonder: how much damage did that test do to me?

It gave me the unconscious belief that there were people who were simply more intelligent than me, that they had something special in their skulls that allowed them to solve more difficult problems. Then there were those GEP students who were school athletes — those superboys gave me the unconscious belief that there were people who were just downright better than me.

I was developing what is now called a fixed mindset of intelligence. I believed that people were inherently and naturally clever or stupid. I still believed in hard work, of course, but I came to view it as a half-and-half combination — hard work could only get you half the way, and you would need innate intelligence to go the rest of the way.

Psychologists now know that the fixed mindset causes drops in levels of motivation, confidence, and performance. I developed the fear of doing badly in tests, because that would only confirm that I wasn’t a genius. I was focused on scoring well, because that would help to strengthen the belief that I was still more intelligent than average, even if I wasn’t a genius.

More at One way Singapore’s schools make you stupid: the fixed mindset

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
juz like dat 154th make u tink dat skolars r haven sent 2 save sinkiez lives ... n there is 1 exceptional family in sinkielan ...

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scholars are the foundation of our meritocratic society. Do you want to shake the foundations of our fragile nation? Of course you don't.

jw5

Loyal
juz like dat 154th make u tink dat skolars r haven sent 2 save sinkiez lives ... n there is 1 exceptional family in sinkielan ...

Couple Of Points:

1. The exceptional family is a myth. :wink:

2. Scholars make the bestest Internet Forum Tua Pau Xians. :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe those tests in primary school are a little overated or premature though,it might be good at telling if a child is above average but not if he or she is a genius.that because when we are in primary school we are still doing things that are relatively easy,but when u get to jc or uni age or the adult world and u start doing things that are extremely difficult or complex beyond the realms of normal human difficulty u realise u might not be as smart or genius as u thought.primary school testing or streaming is just overemphasis on a child's natural abilities.its better to start judging them when they reach their teens or late teens.I know of some kids who spent an inordinate amount of time studying in their youth,and managed to slipinto the cracks of gep,but in their later years they started struggling in their jc and uni years and that increased the pressure even more.very stressful way of living even though it might feel gratifying and impressive earlier on,scoring 26x or 27x or what not.sinkie kids spend too much time and effort overinflating their expectations and self egos,might lead to serious dunning kruger syndrome later on and reality not aligning with their own ideals of perfection and perception, nervous breakdowns and inability to cope with failure.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Moral of the story is Meritocracy is bullshit.onnly a handful of us can be "gifted" or the best.maybe the top 5 or 8 percent,the rest of the majority are just losers and should just suck it.when u encourage mediocrity and the delusional,u get a country of.better sinkies accept reality early in life and learn to embrace their destiny.sinkies are destined to be taxi drivers and hawkers,they cant even dominate their own industries and economy.how to build a samsung when all u have is a "singaporean core" of taxi drivers and hawkers?

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Moral of the story is Meritocracy is bullshit.onnly a handful of us can be "gifted" or the best.maybe the top 5 or 8 percent,the rest of the majority are just losers and should just suck it.when u encourage mediocrity and the delusional,u get a country of.better sinkies accept reality early in life and learn to embrace their destiny.sinkies are destined to be taxi drivers and hawkers,they cant even dominate their own industries and economy.how to build a samsung when all u have is a "singaporean core" of taxi drivers and hawkers?

Not just taxi drivers and hawkers, don't forget insurance agents, financial advisors, credit card promoters and charity salespeople. :wink: