• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP - Bukit Batok By-Election 2016

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
26 April:

This morning at Bukit Batok MRT Station meeting and greeting the residents.
We hope our smiles brighten up your morning commute to work.

13100739_10154423722543455_6704805051716952660_n.jpg

13094332_10154423721968455_7854437416835319297_n.jpg

13096223_10154423722318455_5664714265556308651_n.jpg

13087546_10154423722358455_654261568262745798_n.jpg

13051648_10154423722448455_6991400964742115224_n.jpg

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP - 27 April 2016 - Nomination Day!

Good Morning Singapore!
It is Nomination Day and the SDP Team is ready to BRING IT!
‪#‎NowIsTheTime‬ ‪#‎BukitBatok

13043206_10154425839573455_1126848774707090574_n.jpg

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Chee Soon Juan for Bukit Batok SMC By-Election 2016

2016年武吉巴督单选区补选候选人徐顺全博士

Dr Chee Soon Juan untuk Pilihanraya-Kecil SMC Bukit Batok 2016

புக்கிட் பாத்தோக் SMC இடைத்தேர்தல் 2016க்கு டாக்டர் ச்சீ சூன் ஜுவான்

‪#‎NowIsTheTime‬ ‪#‎BukitBatok

13092184_10155074949053849_459629186497770038_n.jpg

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
cope from FB

Xiao Yu Toh Exactly. I share your sentiments too. I mean if his mentor Chiam See Tong really retired from politics, at least Dr Chee is still of good character. But to have Chiam See Tong out of SDP which he himself founded to form another party, speaks a lot about Chee's character. If Dr Chee is an honourable man, he should have resigned from SDP n created a new party himself, instead of riding on the successes of the former party.

I lived in Bukit Batok for 28years of my life, and have no wish for such person to run in my old home.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
How Chiam See Tong was ousted from the SDP by Chee Soon Juan

If you think that the PAP made it tough for the opposition, may I remind readers of very recent history. The following are facts from public domain, newspapers and published decisions of the Court.

On the 10th of December 1993, one Chiam See Tong took the Singapore Democratic Party to court for wrongful expulsion and to sue for consequential reliefs.
Chiam See Tong was once the Secretary General of the SDP.

On 17th of May 1993, Chiam had attended a regular meeting of the Party’s Central Executive Committee (CEC). At this time, one of the CEC members, a young Dr. Chee Soon Juan, had gone on a hunger strike in protest against the termination of his employment with the National University of Singapore on account of some alleged misuse of the university’s research funds.

Chiam was concerned that the manner of protest that Dr. Chee had chosen would damage the reputation of the SDP.

At the Party’s CEC meeting, Chiam sought to table a motion of censure against Dr. Chee, however, no one supported him.

Disappointed, he took this as a vote of no confidence in him as the Sec-Gen and consequently resigned the position. He gave up the position to a Ling How Doong, whom was Party Chairman at that time.

(Ling How Dong, Member of Parliament for SDP, Bukit Gombak 1991)

Chiam then took to the press with his frustrations.

Soon, at another CEC meeting (of which was now run by Ling), the Committee decided that Chiam should be disciplined and on the 28th of July 1993, Chiam received a notice requiring him to appear before the Party’s CEC for a hearing.

Chiam raised an objection that the hearing should not proceed – because some of its members were the very persons he criticised. This would bring about an unfair hearing. The CEC disagreed and this was overruled.

During the hearing, Chiam was subjected to questions, challenges and refutes “in random fashion” by the members. At the end of it all, it was decided that Chiam should be expelled.

The Court ruled for allowing Chiam’s claim against the SDP. This was based on the decision that an important element of natural justice, that of fair hearing, was the person whose conduct was sought to be impugned should be told clearly what case he was to meet. In this case, Chiam was not told of the real grievance against him.

Moreover, the proceedings required the participation in an adversarial way between the CEC and himself – this was not satisfactory and did not comply with the norm of fairness of which a disciplinary tribunal must observe. There was prejudice by the adjudicators from the start.

Chiam spoke to the press at length about the reasons for his resignation. He revealed that some of the party leaders were not credible, whilst others were motivated by self-interest. In particular, he commented on one of the members, Mr. Wong Hong Toy’s criminal record and Dr. Chee’s dismissal from NUS for misappropriation of research funds. He spoke of how Mr. Ling and Mr. Cheo Chai Chen (who were then party Members of Parliament for Bukit Gombak and Nee Soon Central), were running town councils like their own “little kingdoms”.

The PAP did not deliver Chiam as much damage as the old SDP CEC did.

Chee eventually was released from his bankruptcy because of sympathy from his litigants. He is now a free man, free to campaign at the elections.

But what about the Singapore Democratic Party that Chiam fought so hard to build (and eventually did win seats in Parliament?) Who is going to return the party back to him?

(Chiam lost the Toa Payoh campaign against the PAP in 2011)

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aiyo, please lah, brother @SDPhopelessParty, you know how much time I have spent on posting all these pictures in this picture thread (for the benefit of those readers who do not read Facebook), and you have such an evil heart to spoil it by making it so ugly now?

Why, O why, brother, I cannot understand why as the whole wide internet is so big, and boss Sam has such a big forum for you to create as many new threads as you want, and you must purposely choose to come to my thread here and spoil all my work?

Please be courteous. You can always start a new thread and post anything you want to bash the SDP and CSJ to your hearts content.

Ian6690

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cosmos, don't be disheartened. I am sure there are many others who appreciate the efforts you have put in so far.

I for one, thank you for the photos you have uploaded so far.

You have also been gentlemenly in relaying your feelings to that spoiler without resorting to vulgar language.

Please continue to be that perpetual optimist and do note miracles do happen.

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does SDP has any election podcast for download? Does not have to be related to this BB byelection, just on political and social issues in Singapore.

Want to listen to their policies on:
- Health issues
- Housing issues
- Transportation issues
- Retirement issues
- Education issues
- NS Issues

mei mei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course, best if CSJ do the podcast, want to listen to his beautiful English. Paul Tambyah also can.

But not people who cannot speak Singlish...

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Murali, in his nomination speech, pledges to make Bukit Batok a
"beautiful place for all of us". Pray tell us how beautiful is your "beautiful"?

What's is the meaning of "beautiful"?

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Cosmos, don't be disheartened. I am sure there are many others who appreciate the efforts you have put in so far.

I for one, thank you for the photos you have uploaded so far.

You have also been gentlemenly in relaying your feelings to that spoiler without resorting to vulgar language.

Please continue to be that perpetual optimist and do note miracles do happen.

Hi bro. @Ian6690, thank you for your kind words of encouragement :smile:

Nice to know that you like these SDP/CSJ photos that I posted in this thread.

I will be very busy in the coming days and may not have much time to login to this SBF forum. If time permits, I will login to post a few photos now and then.

You know, there are many many photos on the Facebook pages of the SDP and also of Dr Chee Soon Juan.

Don't worry if you do not have a Facebook account, you can still view all the posts/pictures/videos on the Facebook pages of the SDP and CSJ if you click the links below:

For SDP Facebook page, click this ---> https://www.facebook.com/yoursdp/

For Chee Soon Juan Facebook page, click this ---> https://www.facebook.com/cheesoonjuan/

Important note: You need to use these links to get directly to the SDP and CSJ facebook pages. If you go through the facebook homepage, then you will be required to have a registered FB account to login before you can view anything on facebook. Cheers!

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
‘Ji Pa Ban’ (一百万)' A Million Dollars.

If you had a million dollars? What would YOU do? Spend? Save? Donate? The SDP does not have a million dollars. But what we have is beyond anything money can buy. You can't buy votes. You can't buy hearts. And you certainly cannot buy minds. We know that and that's why despite the obstacles in our way, we are pushing ever onwards, with enduring passion and dedication for our beloved country. Won't you support us?

This video was produced by an Independent filmaker, Tay Bee Pin and his crew of three. Production cost was not a million dollars but funded solely by his passion and belief in what Dr Chee and the SDP can do in Parliament. ‪#‎NowIsTheTime‬ ‪#‎BukitBatok‬

[video=youtube;Mj6dy6XypkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6dy6XypkI[/video]​

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
cope from FB

Xiao Yu Toh Exactly. I share your sentiments too. I mean if his mentor Chiam See Tong really retired from politics, at least Dr Chee is still of good character. But to have Chiam See Tong out of SDP which he himself founded to form another party, speaks a lot about Chee's character. If Dr Chee is an honourable man, he should have resigned from SDP n created a new party himself, instead of riding on the successes of the former party.

I lived in Bukit Batok for 28years of my life, and have no wish for such person to run in my old home.

The truth about Chiam See Tong's departure

http://yoursdp.org/publ/the_truth_a...about_chiam_see_tong_39_s_departure/11-1-0-16

Mr Chiam See Tong has accused Dr Chee Soon Juan of usurping his post in the party and challenged him to resign if he really had not sought to lead it. He also criticised the acting secretary-general of the SDP for "hopping onto a power vehicle, a ready-made party” which he, Mr Chiam, had founded 13 years ago.

This report appeared in the Straits Times on 3 Jul 93. Since then this idea that I usurped Mr Chiam's position has been so extensively repeated - and continues to be repeated - that it has become historical fact.

The PAP was only too happy to propagate this falsehood. That same year it published a cartoon (above) in its magazine Petir showing a series of drawings which related the story of a camel with my face on it being invited by a man resembling Mr Chiam into a tent. The camel was very well taken care of inside the tent. The cartoon then shows the camel kicking the man out of the tent, dazed and bruised.

This cartoon was obviously meant to drive home the point that I had ungratefully forced Mr Chiam out of the SDP after he had so kindly taken me in. For maximum effect, the story was repeated in the Straits Times (14 Aug 93).

Seventeen years later, the Straits Times is at it again this time reporting Mrs Lina Chiam as accusing me of "oustering her husband from the party he founded in 1980." (29 Mar 10) Mrs Chiam is quoted as saying: "If he (Dr Chee) really wanted to keep Mr Chiam, he could have politely declined the position of secretary-general.”

It has come to a point where even an academic has documented in his book, which he uses to teach his political science class, this falsehood as fact. I will provide the details of this matter in Part 3 of this series.

For too long this story has circulated and it has been ingrained in the minds of Singaporeans that I had actually usurped Mr Chiam's post. Worse, the issue is still being resurrected today.

The PAP and the media must be stopped from continuing to spread these untruths about the SDP and me as and when they like it, especially whenever the elections draw near.

It is for these reasons that I need to present my side of the story which has hitherto been largely obscure. For the sake of my party, my colleagues and my supporters, I must set the record straight.

I will do this not by depending on my memory because that will give rise to criticisms about selective remembering on my part. Instead, I rely on facts that were presented in newspaper reports and on what was recorded in court. I provide the dates of these reports so that readers can independently check and verify what I have written.
Even before I joined the party...

Problems were already brewing between Mr Chiam and his CEC colleagues even before I had joined the SDP. This was revealed in court when he sued the SDP in 1993. Even he had admitted to this:

Mr Chiam: "To me, the problems started in 1988, when Wong Hong Toy and about 15 other Workers' Party members joined the party...there was backbiting and other problems..."

Former SDP chairman Mr Ling How Doong confirmed this: "In my view, all the troubles between Chiam and Wong Hong Toy started after the 1991 General Elections, when Wong came to help me full-time."

Mr Ashleigh Seow (Mr Francis Seow's son), then a CEC member, testified: "Most people have had a difficult time with [Mr Chiam] at one time or another." Mr Seow was referring to the period between 1988-1991 and to CEC members like Messrs Jimmy Tan, Cheo Chai Chen, Francis Yong and himself.

Mr Kwan Yue Keng, another CEC member had, in 1987 spoken up against "one-man shows" referring to Mr Chiam.

Mr Chiam replied: "Someone must lead. Who initiates? The leader." He claimed credit for the winning "by-election effect" strategy.
Mr Ling retorted that it was actually the idea of Mr Mohammed Jufrie Mahmood (then) of the Workers' Party.

Mr Chiam: "Who implemented it?"

Mr Ling: "The CEC."

Mr Chiam: "Collective leadership is nonsense."

Mr Ling: "You're talking of dictatorship."

( Chiam's 'strained ties' with SDP, Straits Times, 24 Nov 93; SDP split: Chiam against the rest, Straits Times, 4 Dec 93)

Readers must note that all the above happened between 1988-1991 before I had joined the party. But after the split, I am suddenly blamed by the PAP for kicking Mr Chiam out. Like all the rest of the CEC members, I had only one vote. How could I have single-handedly forced Mr Chiam out?

We persuaded Chiam to return

The unalterable truth is that it was Mr Chiam who first resigned as the secretary-general of the party on 17 May 93. When the CEC refused to support his motion to censure me for going on a hunger strike, Mr Chiam tendered his resignation on the spot:
chiamletter.jpg

Chairman
SDP
Singapore

Dear Sir,

Resignation as SG of the Party
In view of the whole CEC voting against me on the question of the hunger strike of Dr Chee Soon Juan, there is in effect a no confidence vote in the S-G.
The only decent thing for him to do is to resign.
According I resign as the S-G of the party forthwith.
Yours faithfully,
(signed)
Chiam See Tong

Immediately after he handed over his letter, a few CEC members chased after him and told him not to be so rash. Mr Chiam nevertheless drove off in his car.

In the following days and weeks a few CEC members, including me, made several overtures to persuade him back.

But Mr Chiam insisted that he would return as secretary-general only if the CEC gave him sole power to appoint and dismiss CEC and cadre members. He also wanted us to sack Mr Wong Hong Toy, then vice-chairman.

This was clearly undemocratic and, more importantly, against the Party's constitution. It was a demand that we could not accede to.

What was Mr Wong's transgression? Mr Chiam pointed to Mr Wong's four criminal convictions in 1986 when he was the Workers' Party chairman. Mr Wong was fined $5,000 and jailed for one month for making a false declaration of the party's accounts. (It's Wong Hong Toy that Chiam wants out of party's CEC, Straits Times, 16 Jul 93)

The problem was that Mr Wong was convicted together with the late J B Jeyaretnam who was subsequently struck off the rolls because of the convictions. On appeal by Mr Jeyaretnam, London's Privy Council wrote that both men, "by a series of mistrials...have suffered a grievous injustice. They have been fined, imprisoned and publicly disgraced for offences of which they are not guilty."

We, of course, subscribed to the Privy Council's ruling and that was why we could not agree with Mr Chiam's condemnation of Mr Wong, which was akin to condemning Mr Jeyaretnam.

Besides it was Mr Chiam who, as the secretary-general, had negotiated and approved Mr Wong's entry into the SDP. The irony of ironies was that he did this without the knowledge of party chairman Ling How Doong. (SDP split: Chiam against the rest, Straits Times, 4 Dec 93)

We kept Chiam's resignation under wraps

Through all the negotiations, the CEC kept Mr Chiam's resignation under wraps for one full month. It was only when we felt that we could not conceal the matter anymore that Mr Chiam's resignation was made public.

Important questions that readers must ask are: First, if the CEC wanted to force Mr Chiam out, why did we wait one whole month to announce the matter? Second, why did we repeatedly visit Mr Chiam and asked him to change his mind if we really wanted him out? Why did we not, instead, pounce on the opportunity and quickly announce his resignation? After all, we were in possession of Mr Chiam's hand-written resignation note - complete with signature.

The truth is that nobody - including me - wanted Mr Chiam out. Yes, CEC members differed with him about the censure motion but this didn't mean that we wanted him to step down as secretary-general.

What it does mean is that Mr Chiam could not have everything his way in the CEC. But what democratic leader could? Is this not what we criticise the PAP for?

The truth is that Mr Chiam was having a rocky relationship with his colleagues in the CEC way before I had come onto the scene because of his own leadership problems. It was at bursting point when I joined the party. I certainly was not the one who forced him out.

But some may ask why, if we did not want to force Mr Chiam out, did we expel him fom the party? I will explain this in Part 2.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
[h=1]Chee Soon Juan…Vote For Re-LIAR-bility[/h]
chee-soon-juan1.jpg

Chee Soon Juan. He really is re-LIAR-ble.

You just have to scroll through google and you find not one, not two, but many people and articles questioning his reliability.
Sure, since the last General Elections in 2015 he seems like he’s a changed man. But I don’t quite buy that.

Just look at what a former member of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) which Chee is the Secretary General of said:

CSJ.1.jpg
Jeremy Chen's Website

CSJ.2.jpg
Jeremy Chen's Website

sdp-polling-day.jpg
Channel NewsAsia

And if that’s not enough, Singapore’s Consul-General to Hong Kong Jacky Foo went on to the Wall Street Journal in 2014 to respond to Chee’s op-ed (some interesting points are highlighted):
In his op-ed last week (“A New Vision for Singapore,” Nov. 28), Chee Soon Juan rehashes old arguments without a sense of reality.
He takes issue with income inequality in Singapore. Indeed it has increased, as it has in many other countries. But in Singapore, the low-income have access to high-quality education, health care and public housing, like other citizens. Families earning just 1,000 Singapore dollars ($800) a month can afford to own a two-room apartment. Indeed, 80% of households in the bottom income quintile own their homes, with an average of more than S$200,000 net housing equity. Their wages have also grown by 10% (in real terms) in the past decade, unlike the stagnation often seen elsewhere. There is no parallel in other countries. Our model is not perfect, but it is dishonest of Mr. Chee to claim that it has failed, or that we have done nothing.
Mr. Chee criticizes government-linked companies. His charges are absurd. GLCs include highly successful, internationally renowned companies, such as Keppel, SembCorp and Singapore Airlines. They provide good jobs and opportunities for Singaporeans, but they make up just 10% of the economy. Privately owned small and medium-sized enterprises employ seven in 10 Singaporeans and enjoy the bulk of government support.
But Mr. Chee is not interested in facts. He is out to make a political case and trim his sails to the wind. When he writes in The Wall Street Journal, he attacks GLCs, but when he writes for the Huffington Post, he attacks free-trade agreements, in particular the U.S.-Singapore FTA.
Mr. Chee claims Singapore lacks a democracy. The reality is that elections in Singapore are free and fair. Every time Mr. Chee and his party have contested, Singaporeans have rejected them. He might do better to take the interest of Singaporeans to heart, rather than pander to the editorial tastes of the Western media.
Oh, and all good things comes in threes, so here’s a third one.
During the lead-up to GE2015, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong himself used a quote which Chee himself used during a lunchtime rally:
“I was very surprised to hear Dr Chee Soon Juan here yesterday on this spot say: ‘Reputation is temporary, but character is permanent’. I agree. Of all people, Dr Chee should know character is permanent, doesn’t change,”
#Burn
Don’t even get me started on a history class on what Chee has been doing by badmouthing Singapore when he travels around the world.
Chee-Soon-Juan.jpg
Singapore Democrats

And when he’s unable to travel, he goes to YouTube and podcasts to badmouth our democratically elected government.
So you can see for yourself. It’s not just me saying things about Chee. But many others who are. I’m just stringing all of them together for you. You judge.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can we buy a "Feel the Cheeze" t-shirt to support CSJ? :biggrin:

hDrAlAL.jpg

sUwzRoN.jpg

"Feel the Bern" t-shirts are an overwhelming success!

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear SBF brothers, please share the following video with your friends,
who are uncles and aunties in Bukit Batok. Thanks
:smile:

[video=youtube;aW5YrcSO-Ms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW5YrcSO-Ms[/video]​