• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Cheebye promises 4 social initiatives

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) yesterday promised to roll out four social initiatives for Bukit Batok residents should its candidate Chee Soon Juan be elected in the May 7 by-election.

The programmes, which target a broad swathe of residents from youth to the elderly, will help those who have fallen through the cracks, Dr Chee said, adding that existing social assistance programmes had not gone far enough.

Speaking at a news conference at the SDP's Ang Mo Kio headquarters, Dr Chee, 53, who is the party's secretary-general, acknowledged it might be normal for some to be left behind in a "big bureaucracy". "But this is where the MPs have a big responsibility," he said. He said he would be a full-time MP if elected, and that he would contribute a portion of the MP's monthly allowance to help fund the initiatives.

The SDP's plans came ahead of those which People's Action Party (PAP) candidate, lawyer Murali Pillai, 48, has said he would also unveil for the constituency. He said previously that he would do so by Nomination Day, which falls on April 27.

Mr Murali has been uploading videos of his interactions with residents on his Facebook page. In a recent video, he was shown doing push-ups with a resident identified only as Mr Razali. "I am amazed with Mr Razali! At his age of 66, he can do more push-ups than I do. I certainly need to learn how to keep up with him," Mr Murali wrote. Another clip shows him playing the piano in the Ho family's home. "It's been some time since I played," he said. Some 25,727 Bukit Batok residents will vote in the by-election that was triggered by the resignation last month of former PAP MP David Ong over an alleged extramarital affair.

Dr Chee said yesterday he hoped the by-election will be "a contest of ideas, of the vision where we want to take Singapore, and by that, to be able to build Bukit Batok as this constituency that Singaporeans can look up to". The programmes the SDP unveiled yesterday are part of this vision, he said.

They are:

• Hearts for Bukit Batok: Led by private tutor Wong Hwee Lin, 42. Under it, households will be encouraged to "adopt" a needy family and contribute their time and resources to help them. The SDP will set up a trust fund, and Dr Chee said he will use part of the MP's allowance to help 10 families.

• Pathfinder: Book clubs, science fairs and youth sports clubs will be organised under this initiative led by allied educator Rajakumari Ashukumar, 23. Subsidised private tuition will also be given to students of low-income families.

• Dollars And Sense: A financial clinic facilitated by business consultant and former presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian, 68.

• Legal Lifeline: A legal clinic providing advice run by "at least seven lawyers", who SDP vice-chairman John Tan said cannot be named due to "ethical guidelines".

Dr Chee said his groundwork in Bukit Batok showed the need for such initiatives. He cited, as an example, a family he met who have been trying to get the town council to build a ramp for wheelchair users like their mother. "These are people we can help. It's not rocket science. It's just where your priorities are," he said.

Bukit Batok resident Tan Siew Bee, 65, said yesterday that she felt the Government had done a lot for the elderly, including those from the Pioneer Generation.

But Madam Tan, who is single, said she has not worked since she was retrenched six years ago. The former factory worker also has to look after her 96-year-old mother, who has diabetes and dementia. "It will be better if there are more communal areas where old people can gather," she told The Straits Times. "I'm not able to go out because I need to watch my mother. "But if there are areas where I can chat with people, maybe they can help me watch my mother if I need to run some errands."

Although the contest looks to be a straight fight between Dr Chee and Mr Murali, former opposition candidate Abdul Rahim Osman collected nomination forms from the Elections Department yesterday. Shin Min Daily News quoted him as saying that he will run as an independent candidate. He has contested in previous general elections with the Workers' Party and also the Singapore Democratic Alliance.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reminds me of PAP's attempts to capture Hougang after Yaw Shin Leong's resignation. They also came out with all these ancillary services. Even Subash Anandan volunteered to offer free legal her if PAP won.

By the way Chee mentions that he cannot name the lawyers for ethical reasons. Thats pure BS. PAP mentioned Subash for Hougang. This is only worsens his limited credibility. Just say that he want to setup the legal clinic.

Why would he tap the loser Tan Kin Lian who lost his deposit despite starting first, campaigning for nearly year and offering everything under the sun.

He should at least raise issues on PAP conduct, the death of 8 patients, PA budget and resources abused. He should state to the residents what things he is keen to ask the PAP and the Government when he enters Parliament. So far it all about welfare, food packages and feel-good.

This is poor planning and short of tactics. I think he does not know how to moderate his confrontational style. No Opposition candidates or parties focused so much on resident welfare. The hot topics that they raised are - high cost of HDB flats, jobs, cost of medical care, role of PA, etc.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reminds me of PAP's attempts to capture Hougang after Yaw Shin Leong's resignation. They also came out with all these ancillary services. Even Subash Anandan volunteered to offer free legal her if PAP won.

By the way Chee mentions that he cannot name the lawyers for ethical reasons. Thats pure BS. PAP mentioned Subash for Hougang. This is only worsens his limited credibility. Just say that he want to setup the legal clinic.

Why would he tap the loser Tan Kin Lian who lost his deposit despite starting first, campaigning for nearly year and offering everything under the sun.

He should at least raise issues on PAP conduct, the death of 8 patients, PA budget and resources abused. He should state to the residents what things he is keen to ask the PAP and the Government when he enters Parliament. So far it all about welfare, food packages and feel-good.

This is poor planning and short of tactics. I think he does not know how to moderate his confrontational style. No Opposition candidates or parties focused so much on resident welfare. The hot topics that they raised are - high cost of HDB flats, jobs, cost of medical care, role of PA, etc.

Don't rule out surprises. May not be just Murali vs CSJ. Latter may do the unthinkable along the way. Whatever, Murali will be in parliament soon.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So far it all about welfare, food packages and feel-good.

You TPX twit! CSJ has learnt his lessons well. Take care of daft sinkies' stomach first and the votes will come along. Nothing beats a full stomach that gives you the feel-good factor, especially when the food is free. Add in some welfare toppings to dress up the ice cream.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Instead of clamoring about what their MP can do for them, the residents should be far more concerned about what they can do to help their MP.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
he hot topics that they raised are - high cost of HDB flats, jobs, cost of medical care, role of PA, etc.

high cost of HDB flats: sorry, can't help you there
jobs: lol, forget it
cost of medical care: can lower a bit la
role of PA: hmmmm
etc: let me get back to you

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Really?how come PAP never offered me these ancillary services in my constituency?I would like some financially planning and legal aid

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal

All politics is local but Over emphasize on local issues will not give csj the edge as he got limited resources to compete with pap on this. What he needs to do here is to assure the residents that everything will function as normal, the rubbish will still be cleared, streets sweep. Legal clinic, health clinic, trust funds and whatever initiatives are basically value added and good to have. He need not promise the sky to match what pap offers instead be frank to the voters what he can do and what he can't due to his constrains. Voters in general appreciates honesty and sincerity.

What he can't do on local level, he can certainly make up for what he can do on national level. Like what national issues he is going to champion, cost of living, HDB, transport etc. in short the ratio of national - local issue for his campaign should be 70-30.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
At this juncture, it is prudent to consider the plight of the Kiwi and other flightless birds of NZ.

The same thing happens to a society which is spoonfed and where no effort is required in order survive.

Flightless Birds of New Zealand

April 9, 2013 by Editor
Filed under Features

Leave a Comment

lg.php

There are around forty species of flightless birds in the world today, with New Zealand being home to the greatest number of these species. Among New Zealand’s flightless birds are the kiwi, takahe, kakapo and several species of penguins. It is thought that these New Zealand birds never developed the ability to fly because they had no land-based predators to escape from – until the arrival of human beings.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Voters in general appreciates honesty and sincerity.

Yah. 70% daft sinkies voted for the ultra honest and super sincere PAP as their government. All crooked opposition wannabes please keep out.

Please lah, tell me a better joke!

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All politics is local but Over emphasize on local issues will not give csj the edge as he got limited resources to compete with pap on this. What he needs to do here is to assure the residents that everything will function as normal, the rubbish will still be cleared, streets sweep. Legal clinic, health clinic, trust funds and whatever initiatives are basically value added and good to have. He need not promise the sky to match what pap offers instead be frank to the voters what he can do and what he can't due to his constrains. Voters in general appreciates honesty and sincerity.

What he can't do on local level, he can certainly make up for what he can do on national level. Like what national issues he is going to champion, cost of living, HDB, transport etc. in short the ratio of national - local issue for his campaign should be 70-30.

Yes, I do agree that there must be a balance of local and national issues discussed. Dr Chee should also not over promise on what he can bring to the table. It makes it appear insincere and trying too hard.

Dr Chen is good at using social media to bring attention to the fact he is doing a lot of ground work. But only the internet will be impressed. Locally people may not even be aware as sdp presence in bukit batok was not strong to begin with to put it politely

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The opposition will always be handicapped as long as the political system is manipulated by the incumbent PAP.

SDP will always be even more disadvantaged due to people's memory of the relentless attacks made on it in the past. Chiam's wife's haughty attitude last week helps no one. No one except the pure hard core Chee lovers will think that chiam's wife is doing the bidding of the establishment. They will instead think negatively of Chee. That is the kind of uphill battle SDP is up against. Its like I punch your face, but people say you are wrong.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The opposition will always be handicapped as long as the political system is manipulated by the incumbent PAP.

SDP will always be even more disadvantaged due to people's memory of the relentless attacks made on it in the past. Chiam's wife's haughty attitude last week helps no one. No one except the pure hard core Chee lovers will think that chiam's wife is doing the bidding of the establishment. They will instead think negatively of Chee. That is the kind of uphill battle SDP is up against. Its like I punch your face, but people say you are wrong.

So hate Chiam love Chee?

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
One question for CSJ!

Are his initiatives scalable?

Imagine supporting 60,000 residents with only few people!

Few can benefit only!