• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A view from a WP GE 2015 Polling Agent - quite an interesting take

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://theindependent.sg/the-deafen...kers-party-and-confessions-at-the-ballot-box/

The deafening silence of the Workers’ Party and confessions at the ballot box
By The Independent - April 21, 2016 2 1626
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

By James Leong

As another by-election in Bukit Batok looms near, has the opposition learned anything about the electorate since the PAP’s shocking landslide victory six months ago? A Workers’ Party volunteer at GE2015 reflects and tells all.

Shortly after 70 per cent of voters gave a resounding nod to the PAP, sending the opposition and its supporters into a tailspin and even surprising the men in white, I ran into a crestfallen ex-colleague who best summed up his disappointment when he said, “Singapore should just do away with elections altogether and assign a fix number of seats to the opposition. No votes, no expectations.”

His suggestion was absurd but that was his way of coping and this is mine.

It was a night I will never forget. I had just finished my 10-hour shift as a polling agent for the Workers’ Party (WP). At the stroke of 8.30 pm, everyone in the polling centre heaved a sigh of relief and clapped their hands, as if to usher in a new Singapore. Weeks of campaigning coupled with the growing role of social media and resentment on the ground gave many like me a brave new hope for change, and I was on the cusp of it all.

The ballot boxes were quickly sealed and so was Singapore’s future, so to speak.

I later joined many other supporters at the WP headquarters in Hougang Stadium and it was there that everything suddenly came crashing down. The best way to describe this is the sickening feeling of dying over and over again and I felt that way every time the poll numbers came in. I could take it no more and hailed the next cab home.

I could not reconcile the results with the ground sentiment and went into a state of shock. The next few days were a heady mix of scouring political websites, talking to like-minded individuals and attending post-GE 2015 discussions to make sense of it all.

“Just who is the Singapore voter and what does he truly want?” I repeatedly asked myself. I soon gave up and self-declared a media blackout on Singapore politics altogether.

Six months have passed. I’m done grieving and I must confess that I now feel like a fool.

The WP’s watershed victory in Aljunied at GE 2011 was still fresh on the minds of many in the weeks leading up to GE 2015. I answered their call to empower the future and joined the team in drench-filled blue tops united in spirit and purpose, knocking on door after door of residents’ homes. I attended their rallies and hung on to their every word like the Gospel, as if with every cheer to would nudge them closer to another win.

Then it suddenly occurred to me that in all my five years of living in the same home, the WP never once visited nor slipped a pamphlet under my door. Instead it was the men in white who showed up. I wonder what the residents were really thinking when we suddenly came a-knocking two weeks into the elections. I felt embarrassed.

I experienced another epiphany at the WP Appreciation Lunch. Across the room was a candidate who joined me at a house visit. Thinking he could make more sense of the results, I asked for his thoughts on the loss.

“The people have chosen” was his pursed-lip reply.

At my lunch table were two rather fanatic WP supporters sitting next to a man engrossed with feeding his daughter chips for lunch. He hardly said a word but I recognised him as a candidate who spoke loud and proud at the rallies but cut quite a different figure playing doting daddy. The silence was awkward so I stood up to introduce myself and shook his hand.

I also didn’t quite know what to make of the whole event, but the disconnect I felt was hard to ignore. Apart from Low Thia Khiang’s passing mention of a disappointing result, everyone seemed happy merry making, as if the trashing WP received at the ballot boxes never happened. I didn’t stay long.

Where was the WP I saw at Aljunied GE 2011? Where is the hope, passion and conviction you displayed at the rallies? Where were you when we were sitting right under you noses?

If there is something we have learned about the results of GE 2015, it is that the opposition has to work harder than ever before. The stakes couldn’t be higher.

After months of soul searching and talking to fellow Singaporeans, I’m inclined to believe Singaporeans are largely apolitical and an unquestioning lot. Yes, he will occasionally rant about train breakdowns and the influx of foreign workers. But if it doesn’t affect him, he doesn’t really care. What he cares about is the here and now; keeping his job so he can pay his mortgage and go on vacations at least once a year. And if he did care, he is probably too afraid to do anything about it.

Sadly I believe this is your Singapore voter and what he wants, but there are others and I’m guessing they make up a big part of the remaining 30 per cent. Let me tell you who they are.

Like me, they’ve attended almost every Hong Lim Park event from the Population White Paper, Return our CPF, the 50th Anniversary of Operation Cold Store commemoration events to the Solidarity with Occupy Central Hong Kong. Why? Because we’re just wired that way to do something we care enough about. We can’t sit still and visiting the ballot box once every five years is not sufficient.

Truth is I haven’t read every page in your manifesto or even completely understood some of the allegations thrown your way, but standing up against the powerful PAP machinery and be that other voice in parliament is more than what many of us could ever do. So we put our faith in you, do what we can and ultimately look to the opposition to make it all happen.

After the elections, a fellow WP polling agent and neighbour shared that he wasn’t surprised the WP lost because he admitted that the PAP wasn’t doing such a bad job. Your voters might stand on your side, but they are also watching and listening.

I wonder where the WP now stands on MP David Ong’s resignation? Surely you must have an opinion on MP Denise Phua, whom you contested against in Jalan Besar, when she called our South Asian workers walking bombs? Your silence is rather deafening.

Have I lost complete faith in the opposition? No, because it would mean I would have to stop caring and asking questions. But what’s more frightening is how many more people like my ex-colleague, who muted the idea of abolishing elections altogether, have grown to stop caring.

God forbids that this 30 per cent should shrink!

As we approach yet another by-election in Bukit Batok come May 7, and voters are given a chance to relook at their choices, the opposition and WP must step up its game.

Parliament 2007, non-constituency Member of Parliament (MP) and now the MP for Aljunied Sylvia Lim in her speech on ministerial salaries said, “Public service must remain a noble undertaking for which people are prepared to make sacrifices in exchange for the benevolent power to improve the lives of others. If we corrupt this by money, we can be efficient but never a country of high ideals.”

This speech, which was also made famous for the bowed-head response of some ministers in attendance, reminds me of the WP’s sense of compassion and fairness that resonated strongly in so many of us.

But talk is cheap and now more than ever before it’s time for WP to walk the talk so that same roaring victory heard in 2011 can be heard again when and where it matters most. You know who we are.

For the sake of our future we must all remain optimistic and keep the faith. Are you with us, WP?

James Leong is a media consultant, writer and a counsellor-in-training. He awoke to his own political consciousness after discovering the horrifying acts of injustice dealt by the Internal Security Act against the country’s political exiles and alleged communists. He also hopes to receive a knock on his door from the Worker’s Party in the very near future

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But if it doesn’t affect him, he doesn’t really care. What he cares about is the here and now; keeping his job so he can pay his mortgage and go on vacations at least once a year. And if he did care, he is probably too afraid to do anything about it.

Ah Gong understood how people think. He survived and learned a lot about human nature under the Brits, the Japs, the Brits again, the m&ds and finally he was king for the first time. And he was king again and again because at each GE, sinkies felt that key national issues like the economy, personal livelihood, housing, security, reliable utilities, were all being taken care of.

As long as all these key national issues are handled well, PAP will never lose. Singapore has never been directly affected by waves of recessions that came and went. We were never hit as bad as USA, Dubai, PIIGS, Indonesia during the global recessions. People grumbled a bit, but vast majority survived and thrive.

Even today, while some loser PMETs are being retrenched, vast majority of sinkie PMETs get to keep their jobs.

Don't expect a massive vote swing against the PAP or some sort of 'Arab Spring'. You opposition cocksucking losers would stand a greater chance of having some mediacock actress sucking your cocks than PAP losing power!

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't expect a massive vote swing against the PAP or some sort of 'Arab Spring'. You opposition cocksucking losers would stand a greater chance of having some mediacock actress sucking your cocks than PAP losing power!

I can't fucking agree more. Take comfort the End is near. The earth is burning. At most it will last another 50 years.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why would anyone who is passionate with issues like isa, political exiles etc join WP? Obviously he helped the wrong party.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got the same impression. I also think that he probably overhyped his own expectation. He might not even understand how political parties evolved or their history in Singapore. After Yaw affair he actually wanted WP to comment on the David Ong matter.

Why would anyone who is passionate with issues like isa, political exiles etc join WP? Obviously he helped the wrong party.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Gong understood how people think. He survived and learned a lot about human nature under the Brits, the Japs, the Brits again, the m&ds and finally he was king for the first time. And he was king again and again because at each GE, sinkies felt that key national issues like the economy, personal livelihood, housing, security, reliable utilities, were all being taken care of.

As long as all these key national issues are handled well, PAP will never lose. Singapore has never been directly affected by waves of recessions that came and went. We were never hit as bad as USA, Dubai, PIIGS, Indonesia during the global recessions. People grumbled a bit, but vast majority survived and thrive.

Even today, while some loser PMETs are being retrenched, vast majority of sinkie PMETs get to keep their jobs.

Don't expect a massive vote swing against the PAP or some sort of 'Arab Spring'. You opposition cocksucking losers would stand a greater chance of having some mediacock actress sucking your cocks than PAP losing power! (emphasis in bold red font added)

I do not believe that it is necessary to use "cocksucking losers"

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The WP is not a true opposition. It is placed there to give a semblance of an opposition. There is no explanation to why an Opposition would not dare to criticise the government at every opportunity. The WP is timid and avoids raising the issues that sinkees are talking about. WP would raise issues that sinkees don't even care about.

The PAP made so many booboos, yet it didn't face a barrage of criticisms from the opposition.

Let's face the facts and put your faith in a party that is willing to go head on against the PAP.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
im done grieving too for myself and this country,i say we all vote PAP next election from now on and give them a astounding victory.dont rub it in our face and add insult to injury with that 70 percent bullshit,PAP should have 99 percent of the votes!!!!!!Vote PAP to love sinkies deeper!!!!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
don't be surprised that PAP give lucrative government contracts to WP LKL team to shut their mouth and be on their side.

LKY did to the BP people he locked up by giving them contracts to supply HDB projects if they willing to sign document to go over to him to declare they are not communist.

Lee Con You is good at bride his own enemies.

The WP is not a true opposition. It is placed there to give a semblance of an opposition. There is no explanation to why an Opposition would not dare to criticise the government at every opportunity. The WP is timid and avoids raising the issues that sinkees are talking about. WP would raise issues that sinkees don't even care about.

The PAP made so many booboos, yet it didn't face a barrage of criticisms from the opposition.

Let's face the facts and put your faith in a party that is willing to go head on against the PAP.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man power, resources, money. WP needs deeper pockets.

PAP played dirty in abusing resources, hurridly brought in 248,000 new shitizen votes; changed electrol boundaries; trumped up charges against WP........... no glory winning like that!!!
dun forget Whore Jinx disappeared a few months before GE and re surfaced a few months after...........do you think she wasn;t doing anything to tweak the outcome??? dun be naïve........ that election was the dirtiest ever; even Dr LWL din like the idea that her dead papa was not allowed to rest in peace but exploited to garner votes for PAP

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
im done grieving too for myself and this country,i say we all vote PAP next election from now on and give them a astounding victory.dont rub it in our face and add insult to injury with that 70 percent bullshit,PAP should have 99 percent of the votes!!!!!!Vote PAP to love sinkies deeper!!!!

as deep as the arsehole...........??
what has PAP done all these decades to provide jobs for PMEs? they din care if ex general manager now drives taxi or clean toilet in fast food joints while f trashes with fake MBA stole his job and earn indecent salaries doing nothing buy shopping during office hours...........PAP has turned traitor

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Man power, resources, money. WP needs deeper pockets.

They are in Parliament, yet they hardly speak up for sinkees. How many times have the WP MPs whack the PAP? By not behaving like the Opposition, the PAP whacks them all the time.

The WP is a lost cause.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are in Parliament, yet they hardly speak up for sinkees. How many times have the WP MPs whack the PAP? By not behaving like the Opposition, the PAP whacks them all the time.

The WP is a lost cause.

keyboard warriors such as you should just go out and do what u kpkb about. everything want WP to front while u hide behind your PC screen.

had u volunteer for even sdp or any opposition parties during GE or post GE. JBJ rants about everything but what had that done to JBJ? u can call LTK coward but he just choosing the place and time to fight, know when to back down. No point being a headless chicken charging headlong to its death. Anyway i think WP still on the right path as proven by voting pattern. majority of Sporeans have no concept of what democracy is about, everything is bread and butter issue. Who can bring the bread, and they will vote for the bread griver, period..

all of you rants against the medishield life but papigs is putting a lot of efforts to explain the benefits to the people. Other that using the traditional PA/RC route, they are actively going to condo and clan/business associations to promote and explain to the elderly folks the benefits of medishield life. these are stuff not shown on tv but are reaching to the ground. voters will only vote with their wallets, only siao langs such as ppl here think govt can be bring down with idealogy.

as for the polling agent claiming WP didnt visit his house, i dunno where he stay, but at HG, i can see ah huat regularly. it one thing to be disappointed with the result but there no need to attack WP for it. the WP candidates for the GE are also normal human, they too make mistake. The main thing they still soldier on, still believe in the cause. the whole article just show the writer belief in the Opposition causes was very weak. what dont kill WP in the first round will only make WP learn from their mistakes and become stronger in the nexr GE.

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal

The WP is a lost cause.

in 2 lines, you summarize the report card for the opposition; ....yes, my fren, the WP is a lost cause indeed...
cannot disagree more.... :(