• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bata

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone in all probability knows what BATA is.

Some of us wore the white canvas shoes when young, others ingeniously call it “Buy And Throw Away”.

Aside from our visit to a Bata boutique last evening, I guess the last time I ever stepped into one was when I was 16 or 18 year old.

We were walking in a mall last night when his shoes gave way.

Lo & behold! There was a BATA shoe boutique right in front of us. He said let's go in and grab a pair of new shoes. I was hesitant, but nonetheless went along, pondering what a scrooge I am with.

He selected his shoe, tried them on, paid, asked the salesgirl to throw away his broken pair of shoes, put on his new BATA shoes and we left. It costs him $49.90.

I never knew BATA shoes were that decent. Putting aside the infamous "Buy And Throw Away" reputation, I thought it was really a bargain for a nice fitting pair of leather working shoes.

I had always thought BATA was some brand of Indian origin. To my surprise, it isn't.

I did a search, and according to Wikipedia, it's a Swiss brand!

"BATA (also known as Bata Shoe Organisation) is a family-owned global footwear and fashion accessory manufacturer and retailer with acting headquarters located in Lausanne, Switzerland. Organised into three business units: Bata Europe, based in Italy; Bata Emerging Market (Asia, Pacific, Africa and Latin America), based in Singapore, and Bata Protective (worldwide B2B operations), based in the Netherlands, the organisation has a retail presence of over 5200 retail stores in more than 70 countries and production facilities in 18 countries."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bata_Shoes

In fact, while he was trying on his new leather shoes, I had a walk around to see some of the other stuff they sell. I must say that BATA has re-invented themselves, innovated well, with worthy design of shoes, bags and accessories.

Well, I admit I am little snooty, but that's probably due to my teenage perception of BATA, no more, no less.

I did ask him after he donned his new pair of shoes ∼ whether it would create “adverse reactions” with his business partners, clients or colleagues ~ given that it is not a Cole Hann, Berluti or Armani.

He boldly said - "I will tell them to FXXK OFF!”

Well, I learnt an important lesson. Never judge a product by its brand name. It's what it is that is key. I am proud of him. He is not like the snooty me.

Have a fabulous Thursday evening! :smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FYI, Bata sometimes carries branded shoes e.g. running shoes Depends on the branch you go to. If you want more selection go to the downtown store at Peninsula Plaza aka little Burma.

Raider

bata-white-boys-school-shoes-8391979.jpg

my fav bata shoes. swee boh? lol:biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Although I don't wear BATA shoes anymore, the brand still occupies a place in my heart. Went through countless pairs when in primary and secondary school.

jw5

Loyal
Although I don't wear BATA shoes anymore, the brand still occupies a place in my heart. Went through countless pairs when in primary and secondary school.

First to Bata then to school...that was how it was advertised.

Looks like it should be first to Bata then to school, then back to Bata then to school, then back to Bata then to school........................... :o

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone in all probability knows what BATA is.

Some of us wore the white canvas shoes when young, others ingeniously call it “Buy And Throw Away”.

Aside from our visit to a Bata boutique last evening, I guess the last time I ever stepped into one was when I was 16 or 18 year old.

We were walking in a mall last night when his shoes gave way.

Lo & behold! There was a BATA shoe boutique right in front of us. He said let's go in and grab a pair of new shoes. I was hesitant, but nonetheless went along, pondering what a scrooge I am with.

He selected his shoe, tried them on, paid, asked the salesgirl to throw away his broken pair of shoes, put on his new BATA shoes and we left. It costs him $49.90.

I never knew BATA shoes were that decent. Putting aside the infamous "Buy And Throw Away" reputation, I thought it was really a bargain for a nice fitting pair of leather working shoes.

I had always thought BATA was some brand of Indian origin. To my surprise, it isn't.

"BATA (also known as Bata Shoe Organisation) is a family-owned global footwear and fashion accessory manufacturer and retailer with acting headquarters located in Lausanne, Switzerland. Organised into three business units: Bata Europe, based in Italy; Bata Emerging Market (Asia, Pacific, Africa and Latin America), based in Singapore, and Bata Protective (worldwide B2B operations), based in the Netherlands, the organisation has a retail presence of over 5200 retail stores in more than 70 countries and production facilities in 18 countries."

In fact, while he was trying on his new leather shoes, I had a walk around to see some of the other stuff they sell. I must say that BATA has re-invented themselves, innovated well, with worthy design of shoes, bags and accessories.

Well, I admit I am little snooty, but that's probably due to my teenage perception of BATA, no more, no less.

I did ask him after he donned his new pair of shoes ∼ whether it would create “adverse reactions” with his business partners, clients or colleagues ~ given that it is not a Cole Hann, Berluti or Armani.

He boldly said - "I will tell them to FXXK OFF!”

Well, I learnt an important lesson. Never judge a product by its brand name. It's what it is that is key. I am proud of him. He is not like the snooty me.

Have a fabulous Thursday evening! :smile:

Yes, was in a Bata shop recently. Same situation, needed to buy a pair quickly and Bata was the only option. Decent, solid, if unspectacular shoes.
Nothing wrong with buy and throw away. Keep it for a year, discard, and buy another. How long would a $400.00 shoe last if you wore it everyday or every other day?

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
First to Bata then to school...that was how it was advertised.

1981 advertisement in Straits Times

12-Aug-1981.jpg

The old Bata Badminton Master, my old school shoes.

DSC07355.JPG

I still buy my office shoes at Bata, they are comfortable, durable and relatively cheap. I like their office shoes.

bata-black-men-formal-shoes-8546034.jpg

Ralder

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are wrong. Bata is Czech. Not Swiss.

[video=youtube;yblGH71_pi4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yblGH71_pi4&nohtml5=False[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My time wear converse school shoes

During my school years we weren't allowed to wear any branded shoes except Bata because it would encourage snobbery:eek:

We were also not allowed to wear jeans because it would encourage snobbery. My tailor made trousers were certainly more expensive than some of the jeans that were available in the market.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Looks like it should be first to Bata then to school, then back to Bata then to school, then back to Bata then to school........................... :o

Always played football then. Really beat up my Bata shoes. I remember they had a green accented and a red accented version of Badminton Master.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, Bata sometimes carries branded shoes e.g. running shoes Depends on the branch you go to. If you want more selection go to the downtown store at Peninsula Plaza aka little Burma.

Hello Johnny

I seldom go to that part of town. I recall that Peninsula building you mentioned. That place has a funny smell.

Enjoy your evening :smile:

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, was in a Bata shop recently. Same situation, needed to buy a pair quickly and Bata was the only option. Decent, solid, if unspectacular shoes.
Nothing wrong with buy and throw away. Keep it for a year, discard, and buy another. How long would a $400.00 shoe last if you wore it everyday or every other day?

Hi Sat. That is exactly what he said too :smile: