• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Bad experience with New Balance any suggestions on walking shoes?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the lats 3 years I've purchased 3 pairs of New Balance walking shoes. I recently had problems with the soles of 2 of the oldest the pairs. These 2 pairs were manufactured in the USA & China. One of the shoes which was bought locally in Spore & the other one from Amazon. The Amazon pair was manufactured in the USA.

What usually happens is that the sole starts to give way. On one pair I found a large gash on the sole of the shoes. It surprised me because I use the shoe on the streets of Spore & not in the outdoors. I thought nothing about it until recently I had a problem with another pair. The back part of the sole started coming off:eek:

When I was using New Balance runners, I think they were the 660 model, I never had any problems problems. Of course the shoe had normal wear & tear but never had a catastrophic failure. Now I am down to my last pair & I expect it to fail soon.

I am looking for a walking shoe that I can use daily & not a flashy pair of runners. I do have Timberland boat shoes but I find them heavy.
Looking for recommendations on a good pair of walking shoes:confused:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Skechers try them. Love their walking shoes since a year ago.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
keen shoes. best for tropical climates and hot weather. climb, bike, hike, run, jog, work, rest.

image.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
prefer the keen shoe where front and back are covered but sides are partially open to aeration. no need for sweaty socks.

image.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about vibram 5 fingers?

great in the gym and on the indoor rock climb wall but horrible for outdoors as sole wears out quick. moreover, stepping on poo, pee and phlegm gives you an intimate touchy feeling with the sorry substances. :biggrin:

Raider

How are they in terms of durability? Do you think they can last 3+ years of street use?

I have been wearing my first pair of geox walking shoes for 6 years now. Not veryday use, but regular use. Still as good. I have to change insoles once in 6 years. lol:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Reminds me of the ugly birkenstock shoes.
May be comfortable but too unconventional :smile:

wearing a teva now for almost all occasions except semi-formal to formal functions. my flip flops are just for home and yard use. even at the beach, the pair of teva is excellent. upgrading to keen as keen quality is superb. my feet are breathing well again with aeration and without socks.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Do you find them in the stores of BKK or Spore?

Don't buy sports shoes in Bangkok. All Thais who have chance to travel buy sports shoes overseas as it's cheaper.

Skechers is great for walking and they even have great running shoes surprisingly. It's available almost everywhere in sports shops but if you like can go Raffles City second floor have a stand alone store. http://www.skechers.com.sg/store-locator.php

Here's my fav walking shoe for casual which I bring everywhere bought 3 pairs for my 3 location of stay.

later wearing this old pair of Skechers to the mountain

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have been wearing my first pair of geox walking shoes for 6 years now. Not veryday use, but regular use. Still as good. I have to change insoles once in 6 years. lol:biggrin:

Geox shows have holes at the bottom of the soles to allow breathing. So do you go to a normal cobbler or a Geox approved cobbler?

Raider

Geox shows have holes at the bottom of the soles to allow breathing. So do you go to a normal cobbler or a Geox approved cobbler?

I have no chance to visit a cobbler with geox yet. :biggrin:. I change insole once. Just walk into any geox outlet and buy.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

geox with holes through the soles is not good for wet ground. holes act as capillary tubes sucking water, m&d, poo, pee, phlegm onto bottom of feet. need to protect bottom, toes, and heel. in jungle hikes, advice is to wear fully covered shoes as snakes sense body heat and can bite exposed feet. however, i survived hiking in costa rica rainforest jungles with a pair of teva for a week. i used athletic tape to cover exposed feet.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't buy sports shoes in Bangkok. All Thais who have chance to travel buy sports shoes overseas as it's cheaper.

Skechers is great for walking and they even have great running shoes surprisingly. It's available almost everywhere in sports shops but if you like can go Raffles City second floor have a stand alone store. http://www.skechers.com.sg/store-locator.php

Here's my fav walking shoe for casual which I bring everywhere bought 3 pairs for my 3 location of stay.

later wearing this old pair of Skechers to the mountain

Froggy your feet small....

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
skecher shoes is my fav..

i can walk from sukhumvit soi 2 ( nana area) to param 9 wearing my skecher shoe and still feel good after the long walk. I love to walk in bkk.

That is about 15km i think.

Actually i walk more that that as i also visit a number of sois along sukhumvit to check out restaurants, pubs and cafe.. many themes and nice design of restaurants.

so i think i walk more than 20 km at that time.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
great in the gym and on the indoor rock climb wall but horrible for outdoors as sole wears out quick. moreover, stepping on poo, pee and phlegm gives you an intimate touchy feeling with the sorry substances. :biggrin:

Applies to keen as well I supposed.