• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Any former or active police officers in this forum?

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because I would like to know more about laws regarding cycling and the powers of private security guards in Singapore.

I am working as a school guard and, recently, a senior colleague at work told me that I have to force cyclists onto the road, even after they have dismounted and are just pushing their bicycles along the side of the pedestrian walkway.

I don't feel good about this order because:

1) After a cyclist has dismounted from his bicycle, he's really just like any other pedestrian using the walkway. Except he's pushing a bicycle along so he's actually slightly slower.

2) The main road, with a regular flow of fast and heavy vehicles, is really no place for a cyclist on a bicycle. So when we force cyclists to go on the road, there's really only the very edge, along the yellow lines, where they can maneuver.

Now, since the narrow strip of tarmac is being used by speeding cyclists, a slow pedestrian pushing a bicycle is at serious risk of getting hit by a cyclist. AND let's say a cyclist wants to avoid a bicycle-pusher, he would have to swerve further out to the main road where he would run the risk of getting hit by a faster and heavier vehicle.

I am really worried that my orders might be illegal and might actually get someone killed in a tragic traffic accident.

What I want to know is if my concerns are valid.

A friend (not a security guard) also suggested that I write to the Singapore Police Force to seek their advice regarding this issue. But which department do I ask? Which email address should I address my concern to?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If they push their bikes they are pedestrians and you cannot stop them from using the footpath.

Tell your superior that by law cyclists are supposed to dismount at pedestrian crossings so they can legally use the crossing to get across the road. This proves that they become pedestrians once they have got off their bikes.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask your senior colleague this: who owns the pavement? You? The mall? You only jaga dun act like big fuck! It is own by government, so u cannot suka suka do as you like huh.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sam is right. You cannot force a dismounted cyclist onto the roads. There is not law or rule before, now or ever.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Above everything else, Love is the greatest!

Love your fellow humans.

More than enforcing the laws.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because I would like to know more about laws regarding cycling and the powers of private security guards in Singapore.

I am working as a school guard and, recently, a senior colleague at work told me that I have to force cyclists onto the road, even after they have dismounted and are just pushing their bicycles along the side of the pedestrian walkway.

I don't feel good about this order because:

1) After a cyclist has dismounted from his bicycle, he's really just like any other pedestrian using the walkway. Except he's pushing a bicycle along so he's actually slightly slower.

2) The main road, with a regular flow of fast and heavy vehicles, is really no place for a cyclist on a bicycle. So when we force cyclists to go on the road, there's really only the very edge, along the yellow lines, where they can maneuver.

Now, since the narrow strip of tarmac is being used by speeding cyclists, a slow pedestrian pushing a bicycle is at serious risk of getting hit by a cyclist. AND let's say a cyclist wants to avoid a bicycle-pusher, he would have to swerve further out to the main road where he would run the risk of getting hit by a faster and heavier vehicle.

I am really worried that my orders might be illegal and might actually get someone killed in a tragic traffic accident.

What I want to know is if my concerns are valid.

A friend (not a security guard) also suggested that I write to the Singapore Police Force to seek their advice regarding this issue. But which department do I ask? Which email address should I address my concern to?

i was with the Police FARCE for 6 years................sad to say, i've forgotten all laws liao...............can't help you............

if i recall correctly............cyclists not supposed to cycle on pavements.............but can push their bikes

by the way, what do you school guards do during school holidays ?

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Sam and Scroobal, I appreciate the advice.

But one of my senior colleagues (I am the most junior with only 2 months experience at the school), used to be a CISCO officer. Suppose he pulls rank on me and says "bullshit" to what you all just said about pedestrians and cyclists?

So I would also like to know if there's any department in the SPF that answers such queries from the public? If I can wave such a letter in front of them, then they should believe me.

Currently, our method of enforcement is to yell loudly enough at such bicycle-pushers and intimidate them into moving onto the road. But there are some (pushers) who voiced their concerns, saying the same things you guys just mentioned. So I am afraid that one day, one internet-savvy cyclist will retaliate with an expose.

Of course, I am sure the school authorities will be quick to avoid responsibility. They will probably say things like, "We never gave our guards such instructions" and leave me out to hang. All because I have such over-zealous colleagues.

Mind you, I don't hate them for this. I am sure they mean well but, because I am the sort of person who tends to think several steps ahead, I am already worrying about potential law suits etc. Like culpable homicide even, because someone died after I forced him to walk on the road.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

But one of my senior colleagues (I am the most junior with only 2 months experience at the school), used to be a CISCO officer. Suppose he pulls rank on me and says "bullshit" to what you all just said about pedestrians and cyclists?

So I would also like to know if there's any department in the SPF that answers such queries from the public? If I can wave such a letter in front of them, then they should believe me.

Currently, our method of enforcement is to yell loudly enough at such bicycle-pushers and intimidate them into moving onto the road. But there are some (pushers) who voiced their concerns, saying the same things you guys just mentioned. So I am afraid that one day, one internet-savvy cyclist will retaliate with an expose.

Of course, I am sure the school authorities will be quick to avoid responsibility. They will probably say things like, "We never gave our guards such instructions" and leave me out to hang. All because I have such over-zealous colleagues.

Mind you, I don't hate them for this. I am sure they mean well but, because I am the sort of person who tends to think several steps ahead, I am already worrying about potential law suits etc. Like culpable homicide even, because someone died after I forced him to walk on the road.

Yes, once dismounted, a cyclist is just another pedestrian. For your purpose, you can check out and write to the Singapore Road Safety Council

http://srsc.org.sg/contact-us/

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

just go to nearby police post and ask can get answer liao..........

Black Swan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they push their bikes they are pedestrians and you cannot stop them from using the footpath.

Tell your superior that by law cyclists are supposed to dismount at pedestrian crossings so they can legally use the crossing to get across the road. This proves that they become pedestrians once they have got off their bikes.

Yes. Those wheelchair and pram users must also dismount and push their wheelchair and pram at pedestrian crossings so they can legally use the crossing to get across the road. This proves that they become pedestrians once they have got off their wheelchairs and prams.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Those wheelchair and pram users must also dismount and push their wheelchair and pram at pedestrian crossings so they can legally use the crossing to get across the road. This proves that they become pedestrians once they have got off their wheelchairs and prams.

Wheelchairs and prams do not speed on pavements at 40km/h

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Not yet but soon. Just FYI

http://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=58df0753-54c0-42d4-971e-220bef2e991f

20160317_AMAP-DevicesType.jpg

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why bother with part of law enforcement which is done by someone else paid to do. I traffic marshal. If your duty doesn't warrant you to Engage with pedestrian Pls refrain from doing it unless sanctioned in writing by management. Don't take Jude law in your own hand

PTADER

Alfrescian
Loyal

Firstly, the definition of "driver" under the Road Traffic Act (Cap 276) includes
“the rider of a bicycle and any person propelling a tricycle or trishaw or pushing or pulling a cart, and “drive” shall be construed accordingly;”

So, it's important to note that there is a law (Road Traffic Act) for cyclists. What they can or cannot do is governed under the "RTA Rules" known as the Road Traffic (Bicycle) Rules. In addition, Town Councils have their own set of by-laws governing the conduct of cyclists in common areas like void decks, badminton courts, etc.

Now, back to the RTA Rule which states that unless a "part of a road or a path adjacent to a road has been set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, no bicycle shall be used on any other part of the roadway". Cyclists are therefore banned from riding on pedestrian footpaths. The fine for doing so is about $20.

The RTA does not define what a "pedestrian" is as the accepted meaning of a "pedestrian" is that of a person walking and not one travelling in a vehicle (including bicycle). So If you dismount your bike, walk and push it, you are no longer a cyclist but a pedestrian pushing a bike, no different from those aunties pushing their marketing trolleys to and from the markets or someone pushing a disabled person in a wheelchair along a pedestrian path. No one, including your "senior" colleague or security officers, is permitted to demand bicycle pushing pedestrians to get off pedestrian paths.

The "Private Securities Act (Cap 250A)" specifies the "powers" of security officers but it won't go into details like the type which you are seeking. What you are looking for is found under Sect 142B "Authorisation of security officers to regulate traffic" of the RTA which states:

Authorisation of security officers to regulate traffic

142B.—(1) The Deputy Commissioner of Police or the Authority may, for the purpose of assisting him or it in the regulation of traffic under any provision of this Act, authorise, subject to such restrictions as he or it may impose, such number of security officers as he or it thinks necessary to regulate traffic under that provision.

(2) Every security officer who is authorised to regulate traffic pursuant to subsection (1) shall, when in uniform and while carrying out his duties in regulating traffic under any provision of this Act, comply with such directions as the Deputy Commissioner of Police or the Authority (as the case may be) may give.

So, it's best to write to the Police if you feel the advice given to you is insufficient and you still want something in writing from an "authoritative" body.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are a school guard. Your responsibility only empowers you within the school compound.

If you are talking about outside the school, that's none of your responsibility nor empowerment. Leave that to the police.

If within the school compound, you can even ask the cyclist to dismount, walk on the road and carry the bicycle on their heads. You are the king.......within your area of responsibility, i.e., within the school compound.

Anything else, call the police or traffic authority.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
school guard need to work night shift ?

need to work during school holidays ?

if no to both..............this job velly good leh............no need scared retrench some more...........

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because there is no such law or rule, just ask your colleague to produce the law if he thinks there is one. The onus is on him.

I would also stop telling the public to move to the road. If they pushed the bike on the road based on your direction and there is an accident, they will blame it on you.

If you go to the Police and tell them your situation and because it such a bad misrepresentation of a law or rule that does not exist they will probably call up your security agency for clarification rather than giving you something in writing ( which would be right thing to do) and it may cause an issue to your employment knowing how these companies operate.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
For a Security Guard, you write fantastically well. Much better than many graduates. You convey your thoughts clearer than most Diploma holders.
I salute you

May I presume you are a retiree and a former manager of sorts? You could even be from an Elite school.

I am not surprised. I know of an ex-Rafflesian prefect who on retirement, became a caretaker for a club/clan association. Sympathetic friends later gave him a decent job as a clerk ......