• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SOON KUEH - where is the best?

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Need to buy some good soon kueh for overseas friends visiting any idea where is the best? I like those very thin skin type.

soon-kueh-05-3.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i've been looking for it ever since my favorite stall at tekka stopped selling it and juijiapao decades ago. found a soon kueh stall in bedok central and never look back.

Ralder

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bengawan Solo use to have nice thin skin Soon Kueh, but standards have dropped.

If I want to eat Soon Kueh now, I would buy from Fatt Soon Kueh below.

P1100670.JPG

Lizzert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone know where to get juijiapao ?
I ve forgotten about this until this post..must've been at least 20 years since I last ate this

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
shunfu market at upper thomson , very nice hakka soon kuey, very thin skin and tasty ingredient. better than ah yong at upper serangoon

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS picture not soon kueh lah. that is ban kwang aka radish.

soon is bamboo shoot, more expensive.

Ralder picture location is hougang street 21 market cum hawker centre. people now call it kovan market. personally I think its anggu kueh better.

if u stay in the western side, a nearer alternative will be the Alexandria village opposite queenway shopping centre. The soon kueh stall located inside a coffeeshop. That stall recently in the news when its founder lost her fight against cancer for the third time. remember to tell the seller u want ban kwang kueh as they do sell the more expensive soon version.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My wife always buys soon kueh and png kueh from this shop along Upper Serangoon Road, the taste is quite good and this shop is popular. I prefer the png kueh though.

The review of this shop's soon kueh: http://eatwithroy.com/2014/08/07/yongs-teochew-kueh-hougang-singapore/

001.jpg

while it Teochew kueh are good, I always buy the fried spring roll that they make beside the cashier. The spring roll and fried beehoon were food prepare for their employees to eat, not meant for sale but after customers persistent, they now make extra for sale. As the spring roll fresh from the fryer so it taste great and the size of it mean just one is good enough for breakfast.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
another place that sell good and real soon kueh is at Alexandra, terrace shop there, near to Ikea and previous Guilman Heights

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A big thank you to all members in this thread for your suggestion. I will go buy this Sunday.

452SAR

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is much better:
P1100670.JPG

I used to eat this but the standard dropped
001.jpg

So you tried the first one, you will not consider the second one anymore.

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Once again thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

I actually need the soon kueh tomorrow however when I wend to People's Park Complex food ventre for the famous yong-tau-fu this afternoon I was pleasantly surprised to bump into this.

And there was a notice that says they don't open on Sundays so its really my lucky day if not I'd have gone to their Serangoon shop tomorrow and come back emty handed and my overseas friends would have miss the treat

Too bad for me they ran out of kuchai kueh but what the hack bought 20 soon kuehs and 10 png kuehs only $27

Was advised to keep in fridge after cool and steam for just 5 minutes.

currypuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try the tecohew kueh store located at Mei Tien Yuen Eating House along MacPherson Road directly opposite the Mazda car showroom. You will go for more. :wink: