• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Retail is DEAD

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal
MAR 30, 20165:50 AM
Singapore

FACED with a challenging retail environment, the Al-Futtaim group will continue to close stores in Singapore, but expand its footprint elsewhere in promising Asian markets.

The group, which owns Robinsons, will shutter at least ten stores this year as it restructures its bleeding Singapore operations. This comes after it announced a number of closures last year, including its Marks & Spencer (M&S) outlet at Centrepoint, John Little at Marina Square and Tiong Bahru Plaza, along with several other Royal Sporting House (RSH) outlets.

"For retailers, everyone is facing tough competition," said group chief executive officer (Asia) of Al-Futtaim, Christophe Cann, who assumed the position in January.

"We are going to close the loss-making stores - at least 10 - across the brands," he added. The 60-80 affected full-time staff will be offered other positions across the group.

Singapore retailers are facing headwinds on multiple fronts, including high operating costs, a tight labour market and the strong Singapore dollar vis-a-vis regional currencies, not to mention the growing popularity of online shopping. In response to the latter, the group will launch an online shopping site in Q316, with pricing that's similar to those in its brick-and-mortar outlets.

With the slowing economy, attractive discounts are needed to lure customers, which continues to put pressure on margins.

To keep a tight lid on costs, Al-Futtaim is cutting back on recruitment, boosting staff efficiency and trimming capital expenditure as well as general and marketing expenses. "If we could get a bit of help from landlords to cross this difficult period, it will give me more incentive to go faster in getting new brands (and) investing," Mr Cann said.

He warned that the situation could deteriorate if more retailers close shop with the additional capacity from new malls coming onstream.

For its part, the retail industry needs a change in mindset to think out of the box and should work closely with partners such as government agencies, he suggested.

Today, Al-Futtaim has some 850 stores across South-east Asia, of which 125 are in Singapore. In addition to the Robinsons Group of stores and RSH, it also carries brands such as John Little, Zara, Massimo Dutti, Bebe and Ted Baker in its portfolio.

"At the moment, for big players like us, there is no real incentive to bring new brands into the Singapore market. It's a pity because that means we don't rejuvenate the fashion scene here and customers are waiting for that," he highlighted.

While the group is currently in talks with a number of Asian and European brands, he is looking for a "win-win" deal with landlords before taking on the risk of introducing new entrants to the market. Mr Cann suggests landlords consider a lower rent per square foot but take a higher cut of sales; negotiations with its landlords thus far are going slowly.

"If I can't find deals with landlords, I am more interested to invest in Indonesia, Malaysia or Thailand," he said. This is because costs in these markets are lower.

Last year, ebit (earnings before interest and taxes) for its South-east Asian operations rose 4 per cent although the group is losing money in Singapore, said Mr Cann, without divulging figures. But that is not stopping the group from investing in the city-state for fear of losing ground to its competitors.

Robinsons at Raffles City will undergo a S$12 million renovation in stages starting from July, while a facelift is also planned for its M&S stores at Raffles City, Parkway Parade and Paragon. In addition, it will, together with a local partner, introduce new food outlets at Robinsons at The Heeren, and will also launch an M&S cafe at its flagship M&S store in Wheelock Place. In addition, there are plans to bring in a new RSH concept in VivoCity.

Elsewhere in the region, it will launch three new M&S stores and potentially a new Robinsons store in Malaysia next year, while it will introduce retail brand Old Navy in Indonesia this April, before rolling the brand out in Malaysia and potentially, Singapore.

Overall, Al-Futtaim will put aside some S$80 million per year over the next five years to grow its presence and enhance its existing stores in the region. Aside from Malaysia and Indonesia, it is also eyeing emerging markets such as Vietnam.

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retail is slowly dying in Sinkeepoo. Many will prefer to just cross the causeway for better deals and more bang for their buck. Even going to places like Thailand, Indonesia or Phillipines is so cheap, it makes more sense to go for a shopping spree there.

Nobody in their right mind will want to shop in Sinkeepoo...

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
New Entries:The Immigrants [joo chiat],Paper Market,Ah Lo carrot cake,Lao Ma at East Coast Lagoon

Peyton Place,
The Ginviry,
Smoothie King [Established in 1973],
Covelli,
Meds,
Blue Mountain Café,
Computer Bookshop
Chen Fu Ji Fried Rice ,
La Fondue
Homestead
Balcony in The Heeren,
Lana Cake Shop,
Canele patisserie,
Shizahanzu,
Bistro Soori,
Bistro One Zero Three,
Commune Bistro,
Bistro Amigo,
Seasons Bistro,
Magma German Wine Bistro.
Bice bistro.
Angel's Bistro.
BROTH,
Verve Bar & Bistro.
Wishing Well Bar & Bistro.
Jiv Jago Vegetarian Cafe,
De La Creme,
Egg3 Cafe,
De'Pop Culture,
Ciel Patisserie [online only]
Cafe 18 (H K),
Cafe 'D' Manila,
Cafe Epicurious,
Cinda's Corner Cafe,
The Kool Moose Cafe,
Secret Hideout Cafe,
Beanberry Cafe,
Coffee Stars by Dao,
The Alley Cafe,
Broun café,
Cafe de Paradiso,
Snowy Village,
The Orange Thimble,
The Little Prince Café,
Woodshed 204,
Bridge Café
Life Is Beautiful Kitchen & Bar
Liberty Coffee
Kaiming Enterprises
Gluck,
Alley cafe,
Laserfair,
Champaigne yard
Quaruba’r
The Ground Cafe & Bar,
Canto Disco,
BarCelona Wine Bar
Spanish Doughnuts – Orchard Central
Aoyama Collaborative
Anythingz Café
Maison De The
Frozen – Clementi
Tamper & Co
Beegurt
Honeycomb – Bali Lane
Flea Away
Rouse – Dunlop Street
The Dispensary – Tiong Bahru
Kisses Bakery
Audacious Cakery – Everton Park
Wednesday Café – Tanjong Katong
Muffet’s Room
Teapot @ Westgate
Snowy village
Batterworks
The Marshmallow Tree Cafe
Dr. Cafe Coffee Big [Big Aust Franchise]
Trung Nguyen Coffee
Coffee Stars by Dao
Liberty Coffee
Buen Café
Bentley's Courtyard Cafe
Loysel’s Toy
7atenine
Malones Irish Restaurant and Bar
Empire
Brewbaker's Kitchen & Bar
Bar Stop
Venom
Sugar
Cafe del Mar
Rakuten
Balcony in The Heeren
Club Momo
dbl-0
Happy
Mink & Royal Room
Play
Mad Monk's Pub
Cyberactive,
Donut Empire,
Clementi Bookshop,
Hogs Breath Cafe,
Orange gal,
Ixis
Virgin,
Funzone,
Clinic,
Barfly by Buddha Bar,
Bice bistro,
Kandi Bar by Hed Kandi,
Zirca,
Yello Jello,
Rebel,
Circus Circus,
Fashion Bar,
Borgata Trattoria Osteria,
Aquanova,
Coco,
Fenix Room,
Dream,
Hopdog,
Pasta Cafe,
Buttero,
Bontá Italian Restaurant and Bar,
Trattoria Bonissima,
Mezzanotte,
Amici Authentic
Italian Restaurant,
Bontá Italian Restuarant & Bar,
Baci Italian Cafe.
Oca Grassa,
Nuvo
Link Boutique.
California Fitness
Fish & Co glasshouse
Korean Ice dessert,
Israda Silk
Play house Rochester Cafe
Straits Rest
China II
Skoob books
Mana Mana Beach club
Banquet
Oversea Restaurant
Dada
Wok & Barrel
Gattopardo
Fat Cat Bistro
Wild Rocket
Relish
Mont'dor Cafe Bar
Applebees
Silver Spoon
Boon Lay Rajah
Tivoli
Singa Inn
Shashlik
GGB Bistro Demsey
Prima taste Ctr pt.
Laksamania
Rainforest cafe
Kheng Luck seafood
Terry's Shaw centre
Guy Savoy
Wendy's
Billy Bomber's
Othello’s Café Bar
Troika
The Dempsey Brasserie @ Dempsey
Cathay Rest
Skillet Coffee
Milanos
Old Empire Gastro
Denny's
Gurame Indo restaurant
Dong Log Wee Cakeshop
Sam Hoagies
Eagle Piano
Garuda Nasi Padang [OC]
Gold Leaf Twn porridge.
Borshch Steak House
The Royal Mail Restaurant & Bar
A&W
M)phosis,
Growing Paints
Banquet
Shop & Save
Hardee's
Mrs Fields
Rotiboy
1.99 shop
Cost Plus
Cafe Cartel
Angie's the Choice
Blue Diamond Restaurant
Indochine Waterfront
Au Jardian
Zhen Zhuo Dao
Butter Factory
Chuck E Cheese
Shakey’s Pizza
Big Rooster
Mr Potato
Hot Stones
Red House bakery
Sin Sin Chicken Rice
Addictions Cafe & Remedy Bar
La Salsa
Backyard@Dempsey
Pamplemousse Bistro & Bar
The Still Bar @ 22 Dempsey
Garuda Indo Orchard central
Berwkwez Demsey
Flam
Ponderosa
Sanur Indo restuarant
Swizzler
Wimpy's
Harry Ramsden
Kuriya Jap
Taco Bell [Market Cap US$35Bil,6500 outlets,200k staff.Singapore cannot make it]
Freshness Burger
Saint Horner
Breeks
New York,New York
Playhouse
Boy London
Ben sherman
HMV Records
Scissorshands
Comics Collection
OshKosh B'gosh
Color Me Mine
National Geo retail shop
GOD
Banana Republic
Fancl
Perlini's
Five Star Tours
Sia Choon gaming
Color Me Mine
Link Boutique
Lim's Art and Craft
Ixi.z
2nd Chance
Euro Asia
FrancFranc
Sembawang Music
Aussino
River Island
U2
This Fashion
Big O Cafe
Ocean Pacific
Lane Crawford
Athletes Foot
Habitat
Emporium Holdings
WyWy
Stussy
Manolo Blanik
TS Video
Perlini's
Fancl
Heshe
Gramaphone
Tower Records
FrancFranc
Union Bay
More Than Words
WyWy Wonderspace
Keller Piano
Kwong Sia's music store
The Orchard Store
Video Eazy
TMA Music
Ong Records
Sembawang Music
Beethoven Music
Supreme Records
Heshe
Victor Bowl
Valentine records
Giftland

Book Shops:

Skoob Books
Borders
Pageone
Prologue
Leisure bookshop
Harris
EPB Book shop
Big books
Murazen Book shop
Bookaburra Books
Sunny Book Shop
EMF Books

Supermarkets:

Carrefour
Seyui
Au Printemps
Sogo
Yaohan
Daimaru
Dairyfarm [HK]
Galeries Lafayette
Kerry's
K-Mart
Tops
Tokyu
Hakku Kimisawa
Metro Jaya
Meitesu
Seyui
Au Printemps
Sogo
Yaohan
Daimaru
Oriental
Fook Onn
Welcome
Yokozo
Mitsukoshi
Econ Mini
Yuyi

Clubs/Night spots:

Home club
Sadhana Sanctuary
Sultan Jazz Club
Fire Disco
Sparks
Studebakers
Europa Group
Xanadu
Peppermint Park
Rumors
Scandals
Wherelse
Anywhere
Woodstock
TGIF
Bar None
Cheers!
Second Change
Wizard of Oz
Barcelona
KM8
Madam Wong's
First Pagen
Brannigan's
Paangea
Avalon
Lunar
MoS

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retail isnt dead...but stores are.

John tan and i have been pooling together our online luxury purchases and getting up to 3 deliveries a week.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why does a terrorist conglomerate own so many ang moh brands?

Al is obviously a terrorist/god prefix

Al allah
Al Qaeda
Al Futtaim

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only f n b will thrive. Uniqlo, h n m is expanding. Marks n spencer can go fuck spider, their products r boring. Fire all the FTs leave some space for Singaporeans.

They like Indonesia so much, go. See if they can ppl to spend like Singaporeans or not. Or before JI put a bomb in their shop

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if dunkin donuts and krispy kreme can thrive in sg by selling lots of doughnuts not just for breakfast but for dinner, f&b retail is not dead yet. sg is the only place on earth where donuts sell by the bushels for dinner. are sinkies that hungry and sweet-toothed? :confused:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP govt is SO SLOW to realise it is the KILLER RENTALS and HIGH SING$ that is doing the most damage to the retail and tourist industry that supports it. Almost every currency in the world is going SOUTH except the SING$. Won't be long before ORCHARD ROAD becomes GHOST TOWN ROAD

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP govt is SO SLOW to realise it is the KILLER RENTALS and HIGH SING$ that is doing the most damage to the retail and tourist industry that supports it. Almost every currency in the world is going SOUTH except the SING$. Won't be long before ORCHARD ROAD becomes GHOST TOWN ROAD

the problem is Capitaland controls a lot of retail space and even when 1 shop CMI, another will open up. A lot of sinkies out there think they have good retail sense and capitaland just maintain the rent at high levels....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only f n b will thrive. Uniqlo, h n m is expanding. Marks n spencer can go fuck spider, their products r boring. Fire all the FTs leave some space for Singaporeans.

They like Indonesia so much, go. See if they can ppl to spend like Singaporeans or not. Or before JI put a bomb in their shop

Was surprised to see a Marks Spencer branch in Pattaya. If you have been to Pattaya then you know that it gets plenty of international visitors.

It's become too expensive in Spore even for Sporeans:eek:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
More Pinoys will go home as the retail sector/orchard/scotts roads are dominated by Pinoys staff.

If the retail sector does not realise by now, having cheaper Pinoy staff will not save your sinking ship-as some have mentioned earlier, its the high rental that's killing the sector. Also, why buy from a staff whose English I cannot even understand and who cannot speak Mandarin, Chinese dialects, or Indonesian/Malay ?

GLC's are the biggest landlords here and the govt is therefore the main cause of this malaise.
The 70% are still happily sucking on to the sweets given to them (silver support, pioneer generation package, GST vouchers ect2 ) while things are getting worse . An example is the BT report today that "Singapore's reign as the premier destination for initial public offerings in Southeast Asia may be coming to an end.Singapore's stock exchange had the smallest haul of new share sales among the region's four largest stock markets in 2015. Listings this year on Southeast Asia's biggest bourse have totaled US$34 million, lagging Thailand and Malaysia."

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/singapore-getting-trounced-in-ipos

Even deaths amongst locals (as in SGH hepatitis, Pte Tan, dengue,) don't seem to wake the up!

Last edited:

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last year I bought some Levi jeans at the Levis store in AMK Hub, but later I found that what I bought was only half the price in US. That American expat family is right to buy their clothes in US instead of Sinkieland, it's much cheaper and would save them quite a lot.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last year I bought some Levi jeans at the Levis store in AMK Hub, but later I found that what I bought was only half the price in US. That American expat family is right to buy their clothes in US instead of Sinkieland, it's much cheaper and would save them quite a lot.

us$29.99 plus tax for any pair of jeans at any outlet mall.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
us$29.99 plus tax for any pair of jeans at any outlet mall.

I paid SGD 120 for a pair of Levis jeans in the Sinkieland Levis outlet last year, I bought 2 pairs so it cost me SGD 240.

I bought the "cheaper" jeans, there were more expensive jeans in the Levis shop.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I paid SGD 120 for a pair of Levis jeans in the Sinkieland Levis outlet last year, I bought 2 pairs so it cost me SGD 240.

I bought the "cheaper" jeans, there were more expensive jeans in the Levis shop.

round trip airfare would cost you at least us$1299. :p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When I'm at the neighbourhood mall I often pass the Levis store. It's either empty or has only 1 or 2 people browsing.

If you are going to Bangkok just visit one of the department stores. I think they still carry levis:confused: That's where I bought my last Levis a decade or two ago. It was from the Robinson store in Thailand.