• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkieland: Most expensive Real Estate with the least Buyer protection in the world.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Thank you very much PAP. There is absolutely no end user consumer protection here for buyers of condos. Considering how much money developers make and how much the owners have to pay, you would think the govt would enact some laws to make it at least an even ground between buyer and developers. In many countries, the law is even skewered in favour of the buyers. Looking at the case of The Seaview condos in

So, High Court justice Chan Sen Onn ruled that the Management Company representing the owners of Seaview cannot sue the Developer, Architect, or the Main Contractor for the numerous defects in their condos. What the fuck? SO, I guess there is now an open license for any shit developers to cut corners and get away with it. The implications of this ruling are huge. It means that developers can promise this and that, but when they don't deliver, there is no penalty to them. How can this be? The logic used by Justice Chan is ludicrous. Almost as bad as the not loitering outside the polling station ruling by then Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong. Some of this defects included water seeping into the underground carpark, wooden planks rotting in the pool area, foul smells, leaking windows, blocks of concrete falling, pool tiles popping, paint peeling from the walls, etc.

Apparently, Justice Chan S O ruled that since all the accused parties hired competent independent contractors, they cannot be held liable for these shoddy works. WTF? If the accused parties had really hired competent independent contractors, then non of these problems should have been happening, right? The existence of these problems is prima facie evidence that these contractors are not competent and the onus was on the accused party to hire competent ones in the first place. It seems they were remiss in their duties.

Added to this is the apparent lack of monitoring and supervision the accused parties had over their independent contractors. Surely, that has to be a point against them when the Judge considered all the facts, but apparently it was not. How can they just hire independent contractors and leave them alone, and just say everything is fine and dandy? What about the reputation of the developer Wheelock? Who will buy further projects from them? Is their reputation not worth $32 million? Its peanuts money to them. If developers and main contractors can simply use the independent contractor defence, then what recourse does the buyer have? Non, it seems. Even worse, buyers of resale units of Seaview are not even eligible to sue the developer for the defects because they did not buy the units from them directly. This is bullshit. No sane country recognizes this. If you were to buy a second hand Volkswagen diesel car before the emissions scandal, does that not mean that you cannot now be part of the class action lawsuit against Volkswagen? I don't think so. Volkswagen misrepresented its product, just like the developer in Seaview misrepresented theirs.

In many countries, developers are required to give a warranty for their properties to new buyers and this property warranty is transferable to subsequent owners who buy the property on the resale market. Portions of the new development could be warrantied up to 10 years. Why is this not available in Singapore, considering how expensive it is to buy condos? where is the consumer protection for the most expensive item that most Sinkies will buy?

Furthermore, what is the role of BCA in this whole process and why were they not named in the lawsuit too? BCA is a stat board that regulates, inspects and approves the engineering and construction plans for Seaview. They must have made inummerable site inspections and visits to such a large development and signed off on all the stuff they inspected. Did their inspectors just walk on the job site, collect some kopi money, sign a few forms and then leave? Truly, this is a big mystery, or are the BCA staff really that incompetent. I can tell you that an experienced inspector can already determine by visually looking at the concrete pour, the consistency of the concrete, the colour, etc. and know whether its done right. A strength test on the concrete later on just confirms it. And if it fails the strength test, they then order the whole pour to be removed and re-done. So what happened in the Seaview case? Blocks of concrete falling off does not indicate to me they were build to spec.

The only conclusion I can draw is the involvement of the GLCs. The PAP has them all owning land development divisions. We are not only talking about Capitaland, but Keppel also has its development arm, and even fucking SPH, the most tightly controlled GLC. In theory, an adverse decision in this case against the developer could also impact all the current and future projects of these GLCs, and I am sure they put out several thousand units a year. The PAP is just protecting them from condo owner lawsuits in the future. What a piece of shit the PAP is.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: Sinkieland: Most expensive Real Estate with the least Buyer protection in the wor

Seaview condo defects: Residents hit snag

High Court rules developer, main contractor, architect can use independent-contractor defence

Residents of The Seaview condominium, who sued four parties involved in the development over numerous alleged defects, have hit a snag in their fight for $32 million in damages.

Three defendants - the developer, the architect and the main contractor - are largely off the hook for negligence claims following a landmark ruling on construction liability by the High Court.

In a written judgment on Wednesday, Justice Chan Seng Onn ruled that Mer Vue Developments, a subsidiary of Wheelock Properties; main contractor Tiong Aik Construction; and RSP Architects Planners & Engineers can rely on the independent-contractor defence.

In other words, they can put up a defence against negligence claims on grounds that they are not vicariously liable for the negligent acts of the independent contractors to whom they had delegated work.

Developers have been able to use this defence to absolve themselves of blame for building defects since a seminal ruling in 2005, but this is the first time a court has clarified that the main contractor and architect can also rely on this defence.

However, Tiong Aik and RSP can still be held liable for work not delegated to independent contractors.

The implication is that if the management corporation (MC) of the Amber Road condominium wins its lawsuit, which is due to be heard in July, the amount of damages that the homeowners can get will be limited.

To pursue the negligence claims, the MC will have to go down the chain to sue the sub-contractors responsible for the design or construction of the development.

The fourth defendant, mechanical and electrical engineer Squire Mech, did not rely on this defence.

The ruling does not establish negligence and it has no implications for contractual liabilities.

Besides suing all four parties for negligence, the MC had also sued Mer Vue for breach of contract.

But only those who bought units directly from the developer can sue for this. In the current case, original buyers make up a small minority of the residents represented by the MC.

The Seaview, which was completed in 2008, comprises six blocks with a total of 546 units. In a suit filed on behalf of homeowners in 2011, the MC alleged many defects in the common areas, including foul odours, falling concrete and popping swimming pool tiles.

Last July, a hearing started on the preliminary issue of whether Mer Vue, Tiong Aik and RSP could rely on the independent-contractor defence, which is based on the principle that the employer should not be vicariously liable for the negligence of an independent contractor.

In 2005, the Court of Appeal applied this in the context of a developer delegating the duties of design and construction to independent competent contractors.

Mer Vue's lawyer, Mr Christopher Chuah, had argued that the developer had taken care to appoint independent contractors who were professionals. Justice Chan agreed and rejected the MC's arguments that Mer Vue could not use the defence as it had exerted control over the works of Tiong Aik and RSP.

In a statement through its lawyer, Mr Samuel Seow, the MC said it was disappointed with the decision and is discussing its options with its legal team, including the filing of an expedited appeal.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Sinkieland: Most expensive Real Estate with the least Buyer protection in the wor

I agree with the judge's ruling.

How would you like it if you built a house by hiring licensed architects and builders and then sold it because you realised that you can make a profit.

The house then collapsed and killed the owner and his family.

The relatives of the deceased then haul you to court for causing the deaths. Do you think that would be fair to you? You did not build the house and you did not sign off on the design and the plans. You left that to the professionals.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ownself check Ownself....
Sg is one messy and torrid mass orgy

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Excuse my ignorance (since I am not legally trained), but why can't the owners sue on the basis of contract instead of tort?

Maybe not all the owners bought from the developer. Those who bought on the secondary market are not party to the contract.

Why can't the original contract (probably based on some standard form frequently used in the industry) in the primary market include clauses for the protection of those who buy on the secondary market? Developer can take out insurance.

Why "far sighted" Lightning never constantly review and reform gaps in the law to protect consumers' interest?

Why, why, why?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Excuse my ignorance (since I am not legally trained), but why can't the owners sue on the basis of contract instead of tort?

Maybe not all the owners bought from the developer. Those who bought on the secondary market are not party to the contract.

Why can't the original contract (probably based on some standard form frequently used in the industry) in the primary market include clauses for the protection of those who buy on the secondary market? Developer can take out insurance.

Why "far sighted" Lightning never constantly review and reform gaps in the law to protect consumers' interest?

Why, why, why?

These are all good questions that I posted in this thread. As I have said, the only thing I can think of is to protect the many GLCs involved in the construction and development of properties in Singapore. And perhaps to protect the biggest one of all, HDB, from future lawsuits.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

These are all good questions that I posted in this thread. As I have said, the only thing I can think of is to protect the many GLCs involved in the construction and development of properties in Singapore. And perhaps to protect the biggest one of all, HDB, from future lawsuits.

I think all your questions are dumb and they show just how naive you are regarding the ways of the world.

When governments pay out money it costs them nothing. Governments meet all outgoing expenses from money collected from taxpayers in the first place.

If HDB is forced to pay out millions, it will simply replenish it's funds when it sells more flats to sinkies at prices which have been increased to cover any shortfall as a result of legal action.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I think all your questions are dumb and they show just how naive you are regarding the ways of the world.

When governments pay out money it costs them nothing. Governments meet all outgoing expenses from money collected from taxpayers in the first place.

If HDB is forced to pay out millions, it will simply replenish it's funds when it sells more flats to sinkies at prices which have been increased to cover any shortfall as a result of legal action.

Which fucking country are living in? Are you still in NZ? We are all aware its the PAP aka Hakka Jew Govt. They don't even one to pay $1 no matter how in the wrong they are. What is this pay millions $ and then simply replenish the fund shit? They killed the kid in NS with smoke grenade and are still siaming here and there to avoid paying even one dollar of $ in the lawsuit. If the parents did not kpkb, they were going to make them pay for the MINDEF legal costs too.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Which fucking country are living in? Are you still in NZ? We are all aware its the PAP aka Hakka Jew Govt. They don't even one to pay $1 no matter how in the wrong they are. What is this pay millions $ and then simply replenish the fund shit? They killed the kid in NS with smoke grenade and are still siaming here and there to avoid paying even one dollar of $ in the lawsuit. If the parents did not kpkb, they were going to make them pay for the MINDEF legal costs too.

The kid died because he was allergic to smoke grenades. It is not the PAP's fault he was born with allergies.

Regarding building defects there was a similar issue with leaky homes in NZ.

The courts decided the council was at fault for approving a poor design and ordered them to co-pay for the costs of repair. Of course the council did not have billions in cash reserves so the councillors had a meeting to solve the problem of a gaping hole in their budget.

The following year my council rates went up by 20% and have continued to rise ever since to cover the shortfall.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think this is a great thread and another issue of not relying on the govt to look after their citizens.

I can understand why the Courts made that ruling but this where a good government comes in to protect consumers especially when these matters are complicated and buying a house is a huge commitment financially. It is took years of lobbying before Singapore's lemon laws came into play. Similar protection must also come into play for the housing industry. I hope people realise that this ruling will also encourage developers especially the mediocre ones to start taking shortcuts. There is nothing to lose and more money in their pocket.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

To put it bluntly Ah Loon is no Hammurabi
Tho' he writes computer programs or something
On taxpayers' time while indulging in his hobby
Daft Sinkies deserve to have such a useless king

Note: King Hammurabi ruled the kingdom of Babylon from 1792 to 1750 BC

Cut and paste from somewhere (http://www.fenwickelliott.com/)

Liability for defects under the Contract

Contracts have been around for a long time. One of the first could be said to be the code of Hammurabi.

As one would expect, this dealt with payment:

If a builder builds a house for someone and completes it, he shall give him a fee of two shekels in money for each sar of surface.

The code also dealt with responsibility for any defects. Here the position was admirably clear, if ultimately a little harsh:

If a builder builds a house for a man and does not make its construction meet the requirements and a wall falls in, that builder shall strengthen the wall at his own expense.

If a builder builds a house for a man and does not make its construction firm and the house which he has built collapses and causes the death of the owner of the house that builder shall be put to death.

If the son of the owner dies, the son of the builder shall be killed.

[video=youtube;2FgDles4xq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FgDles4xq8[/video]

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

At this rate we are going we will be on par with Philippines soon.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

i think this is a great thread and another issue of not relying on the govt to look after their citizens.

I can understand why the Courts made that ruling but this where a good government comes in to protect consumers especially when these matters are complicated and buying a house is a huge commitment financially. It is took years of lobbying before Singapore's lemon laws came into play. Similar protection must also come into play for the housing industry. I hope people realise that this ruling will also encourage developers especially the mediocre ones to start taking shortcuts. There is nothing to lose and more money in their pocket.

You would think that since so many of Familee and KwajiaLee are avid buyers of new condos, they might want to protect themselves from unscrupulous developers. Or is it that the developers are so scared of them they will fix every little thing that goes wrong in units purchased by Familee.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

At this rate we are going we will be on par with Philippines soon.

I have it on good authority that Whore Jinx has 2000 pairs of shoes, mostly men oxford style and sensible black shoes.

jw5

Loyal

I have it on good authority that Whore Jinx has 2000 pairs of shoes, mostly men oxford style and sensible black shoes.

Imelda Marcos was quoted to claim she had one thousand and sixty, and not three thousand as rumoured. :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Niece Kwa Kim Li took over from Aunty Kwa in Redas which is the developers interest group. This is the same industry group that hired PAP MP Heng Chiew Meng as their President and Goh Chok Tong went public that his role of MP and pushing the agenda for developers is not acceptable.

You would think that since so many of Familee and KwajiaLee are avid buyers of new condos, they might want to protect themselves from unscrupulous developers. Or is it that the developers are so scared of them they will fix every little thing that goes wrong in units purchased by Familee.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Imelda Marcos was quoted to claim she had one thousand and sixty, and not three thousand as rumoured. :biggrin:

Whore Jinx can beat that. But no pumps, ok.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Niece Kwa Kim Li took over from Aunty Kwa in Redas which is the developers interest group. This is the same industry group that hired PAP MP Heng Chiew Meng as their President and Goh Chok Tong went public that his role of MP and pushing the agenda for developers is not acceptable.

I guess when you are Familee and your new condo unit for paint peeling, leaking ceiling, etc. One call, and immediately the developer will come and remedy it. All other peasants who bought is tough shit. that is why I always keep an ear out on which unit MIWs buying. U buy in the same project with them, nothing will happen to you. hahahaa

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

How the Seaview is a gigantic warning to Singapore’s property buyers
December 4, 2015

The most common line from property agents is that it “never goes wrong”. Property always increases in value, because Singapore is land scarce. And sure, that sounds good in theory – but the Seaview and its current $32 million lawsuit is a good example of what can go wrong:
The Seaview situation

When the residents of the Seaview first purchased their units, they did so at the exorbitant cost of around $1,600 per square foot. It didn’t seem unreasonable at the time: the Seaview was developed by Wheelock Properties, which has a reputation for quality, high-end properties.

The Seaview is also within walking distance to Parkway Parade (the neighbourhood mall), and was marketed as the “Ardmore Park of the east.”

But problems started early, and by 2011 residents were attempting to sue Wheelock Properties for damages amounting to $32 million. And even that amount doesn’t highlight what they’ve had to put up with.
Lethal swimming pool, falling debris, and apartments that stink

The Seaview’s problems started within a year of being occupied. Signs of the problems are still apparent, as the trial is still pending. Here’s one of the most obvious:

Rooftop disaster Sea View Condo

Notice the discrepancy the right hand side of the roof, where part of the grille like structure is missing.

It’s not there because, during the middle of a storm, it fell off and crashed near the swimming pool. No one was out at the time, but “chance of being killed by falling debris” was probably not a highlight of the property brochure.

Again, this is not an old condominium; and the management informed me that the incident happened sometime within the first year of occupancy.

Now take a look at the swimming pool:

Swimming Pool Sea View

Those green patches are not slime. They’re much worse. That’s where the tiles have popped loose, and form razor sharp patches. At one point this cut into a pregnant resident. The medical bills amounted to over $20,000.

The same happens at the edge of the pool, where people often sit or stand:

Swimming Pool Sea View

The management discovers new patches of loose tiles every day. It’s gotten to the point where parts of the pool are regularly cordoned off, to avoid someone requiring stitches:

Swimming Pool Sea View

When it’s not threatening people, the pool is busy threatening the carpark. This is what you find on the ceiling of the carpark (located under the pool):

Swimming Pool Sea View

Those are tiny stalactites, formed from the liquid in the swimming pool. While I am not an expert, I suspect there is no school of architecture that recommends letting the swimming pool leak into the carpark.

The wooden deck around the swimming pool is thoroughly rotted in parts, and the management explained that at least one resident has put a foot through the platform. Currently, the deck is made of a mismatched, different coloured wood: each darker coloured plank is where a rotted piece had to be replaced:

The Sea View Flooring

The wood problem is also in the Seaview’s clubhouse:

The Sea View Doors

Those are very welcoming doors, in that they will never close. They are literally too small, and don’t meet in the middle. Tape measures were apparently in short supply when the Seaview was being built.

All of these issues pale in comparison to the sewage problem. Now I can’t go into someone’s house and take pictures, but it’s not needed in this case – the problem is the stench.

In the linked article (see The Seaview situation), it mentions that residents complained of “foul smells” and “infestations of flies.” While I didn’t see flies, I can attest to the smell.

A sickly sweet smell would sometimes seem to come out of the walls. This is due to the lack of a U-trap: a device that separates waste from the kitchen and the toilet. Refuse from the two just merge into a common pipe, and choke up.

One of the residents complained that the cost of hiring a contractor, every time he needed to clear up the pipes, ran into hundreds of dollars every month. The alternative was for him to go arm deep into the pipes, and clear it himself.

Other bizarre design decisions include windows that leak, and not using primer before the buildings were painted (primer is the base layer onto which paint adheres. Without it, the paint will crack and peel).
Financial consequences for residents

Most residents were torn between openly discussing resale issues, and keeping it quiet. On the one hand, many of them would rather offload their units right now. On the other, they can’t openly say it because it would just drive their property values down even more.

One resident claimed that he was struggling to sell at around $1,000 per square foot (remember, the original price was around $1,600 per square foot). However, his prospective buyer ran into problems with the bank, which refused to grant the loan due to the Seaview’s pending legal issues.
Legal frustrations and the “independent contractor” defence

You’d think this is a clear cut case in court, but it isn’t. Wheelock Properties, like many other developers, can invoke the independent contractor defence. This is basically a claim that certain third parties, hired to build the property, are the ones responsible for the defect – not the developer.

These independent contractors, to whom the blame might be pushed, can in turn invoke the same defence when they are sued. They might also be able to claim another contractor they hired is responsible, and deflect the legal heat.

This can eventually result in residents suing small sub-contractors, who probably cannot pay the amounts needed for proper compensation.

As annoying as that may sound, it’s not unusual turn of events. The independent contractor defence has been used by property developers for a long time.

This is where the Seaview becomes important: the law firm representing the Seaview is arguing that the independent contractor defence cannot be used in this case. If the courts agree with them, it will be a landmark case: it would shift significant power into the hands of property buyers, as developers would be much more accountable for their work.
A warning that every property buyer should heed

The Seaview is a monumental reminder to every property buyer in Singapore: never make assumptions based on the name of the developer. Each and every property development should be viewed in isolation – judge it as a unique case; don’t look at other works by the same developer, and expect the same quality.

It is also a warning against attractive “early bird” discounts for under-development property. It may be cheaper to buy before you can see the end result. But if the end result is something like the Seaview, the discount will be more than compensated for by the potential losses.

Do your homework before you buy. Shop around, ask difficult questions, and get some expert advice. You can always speak to us at 99.co for a better view of the property you want.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Recourse for condominium - The Seaview defects: Condo residents sue for $14m
By Amanda Tan

Residents in the condo, billed originally as the 'Ardmore Park of the east', claim that problems surfaced from mid-2008, shortly after they moved in. Complaints include shoddy workmanship and bad smells in their units.

Home owners of The Seaview, an upmarket condo in the east, are seeking $14 million for defects that have allegedly plagued the estate since 2008.

In what is believed to be one of the largest amounts that a developer here is being sued for, the residents of the 546-unit project in Amber Road are suing Mer Vue Developments, a subsidiary of listed Wheelock Properties.

Also named in the suit - filed by the condo's management corporation (MC) - are main contractor Tiong Aik Construction, RSP Architects Planners & Engineers and engineering firm Squire Mech.

Residents in the condo, billed originally as the 'Ardmore Park of the east', claim that problems surfaced from mid-2008, shortly after they moved in.

Complaints include shoddy workmanship and bad smells in their units.

In another incident, the estate's water bill for common areas spiked to about $20,000 a month, from $4,000.

Maintenance staff from the condo and experts hired by the MC found a leak in a pipe supplying water to the swimming pool.

The estate has temporarily installed valves to curb the leak and now uses a hose to top up the pool.

The MC claimed that the developer had asked its contractors to rectify some of the problems but they kept recurring.

In late 2009, the MC engaged independent chartered building surveyors who found at least 32 cases of defects in areas such as lift lobbies, swimming pool, residential units and basement carpark.

Among other things, the MC claimed that waterproofing was not carried out properly in areas such as the basement carpark, causing damage and safety risks.

Residents said it was the same problem on the rooftops which meant that higher-floor residents had to deal with water seepage and stained ceilings and walls.

Inside the units, residents claimed that they had to regularly deal with foul smells and flies.

According to experts hired by the MC, this was because floor traps and pipes in the kitchen were not installed properly, leading to food waste being stuck in the pipes.

Last week, residents were given more details of the case via the condo's newsletter. In it, it was reported that joint inspections of the defects by the developer and MC in 2009 did not help to resolve the issues.

The MC said it decided to file the suit after Wheelock's lawyer wrote to it last year, stating that the firm would no longer listen to complaints of defects.

In its claims, the MC said it was 'reasonable to believe and expect' that Wheelock would construct the development in a 'good workmanlike manner' and that the residents can seek recourse against defects.

Defence statements show that all four parties have denied any responsibility for the defects and claimed that the MC had failed to maintain the property.

Mer Vue Development said it had not carried out the construction and had engaged a reputable contractor.

Wheelock is also behind other luxury projects such as Ardmore Park and The Cosmopolitan.

Tiong Aik Construction argued that the defects arose from wear and tear and were due to the management's own failure to maintain the property.

It said it had hired reasonably competent sub-contractors to carry out the works.

A High Court pre-trial conference is due to be held next month.