• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What If Dr Chee Soon Juan Wins or Loses Bukit Batok SMC

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
We all wanted to have more opposition voices in parliament and more importantly diversity in the parliament so that it is not restricted to the usual PAP-WP rhetoric.

The Bukit Batok SMC by-election is a perfect opportunity to have this additional voice in parliament.

If Dr Chee Soon Juan wins Bukit Batok SMC, then it is big time celebration and congratulations to him.

If Dr Chee Soon Juan loses Bukit Batok SMC, do you think if he should:

- accept that the people have made up their mind over him permanently that they have no desire to hear him in parliament

- pass on the Secretary General position to someone else like Paul Tambyah

- let others from SDP contest in future by-elections so that there is a better chance of electing a SDP member into parliament

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
cope from Facebook

Jeremy Chen

You see, this reasoning is problematic. Let me tell you why... But as background, let me state that I was an active SDP party member for three years and played a major role in developing public policy recommendations (and helped out a bit with the "ground operations team"). I think I did a good job there (feel free to assess them for holes in reasoning; just don't expect everyone to be happy). I left the party because Chee Soon Juan and most of the CEC had integrity issues.

Now back to the reasoning of this whole "forgive and forget"

When I joined the party, I had known about, but had set aside, the information about CSJ's spotty past. I give him the benefit of the doubt that those integrity issues had been worked out. I refer to:

- his taxi fare inflation (which are acts of wilful dishonesty not at all comparable with actions like using the office printer to print examination scripts for one's kids)
- big breakfast + "doctor's orders" glucose fuelled hunger strikes (which seem to be a rather dishonest way of running a hunger strike)

Note that I view his heckling of then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong as merely ill advised politicking, but not an integrity issue.

But in various ways, CSJ demonstrated that he was a liar and deceiver within the party over those three years. For some that might have been fine if he were also effective, but he was also incompetent and wilfully ignorant. The only thing he has been good at is pretending to be reasonable.

I left because of his integrity issues. I made my resignation and the reasons public and they promptly targeted me in a really badly done act of character assassination. (To see how plain the fabrications are, see this: https://www.facebook.com/convexset/posts/10153906114451335 ; Should I also sue TRS?) So that's integrity for you.

What I think is, if you feel generous, by all means do "forgive". But if you choose also to "forget" then you are just cheating yourself.

STOP DREDGING THE PAST, CSJ IS THE MP SINGAPOREANS NEED RIGHT NOW!
www.allsingaporestuff.com | An online community with Real Singapore News
allsingaporestuff.com

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee's past is non-issue.

Jeremy Chen probably has a grudge on Dr Chee or the SDP. Even if Jeremy is right, Dr Chee's past is non-issue.

But if Dr Chee is unelectable like Bernie Sanders, no matter how brilliant he is, then he is a waste of time.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Priceless
JSaLwzP.jpg

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We all wanted to have more opposition voices in parliament and more importantly diversity in the parliament so that it is not restricted to the usual PAP-WP rhetoric.

The Bukit Batok SMC by-election is a perfect opportunity to have this additional voice in parliament.

If Dr Chee Soon Juan wins Bukit Batok SMC, then it is big time celebration and congratulations to him.

If Dr Chee Soon Juan loses Bukit Batok SMC, do you think if he should:

- accept that the people have made up their mind over him permanently that they have no desire to hear him in parliament

- pass on the Secretary General position to someone else like Paul Tambyah

- let others from SDP contest in future by-elections so that there is a better chance of electing a SDP member into parliament

Your questions are moot.

BB is un-winnable. It is solid, sacred PAP territory, untouchable. Even if LTK were to contest there he wouldn't get more than 35% against a monkey.

So if CSJ wins – which he won't – it will be a miracle, even more so than Anson '81. If he loses, it doesn't reflect badly at all on him. It will be status quo for him and the SDP as if the BE never occurred.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your questions are moot.

BB is un-winnable. It is solid, sacred PAP territory, untouchable. Even if LTK were to contest there he wouldn't get more than 35% against a monkey.

So if CSJ wins – which he won't – it will be a miracle, even more so than Anson '81. If he loses, it doesn't reflect badly at all on him. It will be status quo for him and the SDP as if the BE never occurred.

If BB is not winnable, Sadasivam Veriyah or some other unknown SDP face will be fielded there.

Because BB is winnable, CSJ offered himself as a candidate :smile:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If BB is not winnable, Sadasivam Veriyah or some other unknown SDP face will be fielded there.

Because BB is winnable, CSJ offered himself as a candidate :smile:

Sada has already lost. Putting CSJ there – even if he loses – sends the signal that SDP respects the opponent, respects the residents of BB, and is willing to put their best guy there. At the very least it will be a moral victory if CSJ gets significantly more votes than Sada, say 35%.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sada has already lost. Putting CSJ there – even if he loses – sends the signal that SDP respects the opponent, respects the residents of BB, and is willing to put their best guy there. At the very least it will be a moral victory if CSJ gets significantly more votes than Sada, say 35%.

That is an interesting argument. BB is unwinnable, you say. Yet, CSJ offered himself there to send signal... get moral victory if more than 35%. You may cut it anyway you want. If CSJ loses again, this will be his third loss. He may end up in the same league as Desmond or others and an unelectable candidate like Bernie Sanders. Let's hope he win and have a different voice in parliament.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Because BB is winnable, CSJ offered himself as a candidate
Fun Fun blog here.

Well, if CSJ didn't stand, people would say he chickened out. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Anyway, methinks it takes a lot of guts to go into a contest where your chances of winning are so low. BTW, CST tried 3 times before he won Potong Pasir.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, if CSJ didn't stand, people would say he chickened out. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Anyway, methinks it takes a lot of guts to go into a contest where your chances of winning are so low. BTW, CST tried 3 times before he won Potong Pasir.

Ok, Good luck to CSJ then. Looking forward to hear a different voice in Parliament. :smile:

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally by-electon called.

Dr Chee, check and double check your forms, don't get disqualified from a technicality. Think some politician got disqualified last time, maybe that was James Gomez or someone ..

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee will unlikely win. It's as unlikely as Singapore being attacked tomorrow by aliens.

Not that I support the PAP guy. I prefer to have an alternative voice and I think Dr Chee is capable of challenging the PAP and its government.

But you must know that many Singaporeans have been supporting the ruling party for decades. Dr Chee won't stand a chance.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
If csj wins which is very unlikely, it will be good news for pap and bad news for WP.

If csj insist on going alone to attack pap, he will soon find himself overwhelms by waves after waves of pap counter attack and by then he will expect WP to come to his aid. So should WP allow csj to drag them down, sit back and watch or criticize csj? Either way, it a no win situation for WP.

Lemon

Alfrescian
Loyal
If csj wins which is very unlikely, it will be good news for pap and bad news for WP.

If csj insist on going alone to attack pap, he will soon find himself overwhelms by waves after waves of pap counter attack and by then he will expect WP to come to his aid. So should WP allow csj to drag them down, sit back and watch or criticize csj? Either way, it a no win situation for WP.

why u so worried for the wp to win and not worried for Singapore. wp is already down, no need for csj to drag it down. if anything, csj if elected, might even be a help to wp. after 6 years in parliament, wp very little good results too show, always court case after court case and wasting time on town council mis-management. they better work hard or they may not even have aljunied grc after the next ge.

if wp not so arrogant n selfish, but cooperate with other opposition parties after ge2011, they would not have lost punggol east smc in ge2015. wp problem was: wp bite off more than they can chew

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
The political landscape will only change in the long term but by then we will all be dead. Map your own destiny in the short term. Good luck.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chee under fire for ‘misrepresenting’ data
http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/chee-under-fire-misrepresenting-data

SINGAPORE — Responding to comments relating to the local employment growth last year by Dr Chee Soon Juan at his rally on Thursday (May 5) night, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said it is “disappointed” that Dr Chee “continues to deliberately misrepresent our employment data”. It noted that during the rally, Dr Chee had said: “MOM took issue with me, saying that the number of jobs created for locals was not 100 as I pointed out. Instead it is 700.”

Oh dear, why does CSJ always like to get himself into such controversy? It is as though he never learned from the misrepresentation of health data many years ago.

Regardless of whether it it true or false, the damage is done. The damage is more severe if it is true. We don't hear other opposition politicians being accused of misrepresenting data, why can't SDP and CSJ be more responsible?

This is why the SDP or CSJ cannot get elected, this is also why there is a perception that CSJ is unelectable.

And because CSJ has acquired such a reputation over the years, the question of whether CSJ should step aside and let others contest in future. This would give others a chance of getting elected into parliament, should CSJ loses this BB byelection.

If CSJ wins BB, then all the best to him and the SDP.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
My fellow citizens, Mr. Chiam and I understand that the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has been circulating an image of Mr. Chiam See Tong and Dr. Chee Soon Juan in SDP’s newsletter, The New Democrat.

We would like to clarify that Dr. Chee did not seek nor receive permission to include Mr. Chiam’s image in this newsletter. Mr. Chiam has not given his endorsement to any candidate for the upcoming Bukit Batok by-election.

Mr. and Mrs. Chiam See Tong