• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top Ten Reasons why Religion Is Bullshit

dlwtsla

Alfrescian
Loyal

As an American of course I do tend to focus on Christianity's idiocy, but they're all baloney. I tried to find something less offensive than Christianity, but all the other religions fail.

1. Basis in the personal revelation of one person or a string of a few loonies. Personal revelation can be lies, misrepresentations, migraine auras, hallucinations, delusions, or hoaxes. Just not a reliable source of information for basing an entire lifestyle on.

2. Precarious transmission of the "Word." Again, lies, misrepresentations and hoaxes are possible sources of "information." There's also scribal errors, interpolations, deletions, and organizational or personal agendas to consider. Just because a text is "ancient" is no reason to grant it any kind of status. Just the reverse.

3. Fairy tale explanations for the natural world. Genesis is only one of hundreds of creation stories. Every culture on Earth seems to have one. This would indicate there's something innate about the human intellect that needs answers for things like the movement of the stars and why humans can talk but frogs can't. The fact that there are so many of these stories leads to only one conclusion: they are all false. The scientific method is showing all of them to be false, too.
4. Human qualities of "gods." The Genesis story gets around this by saying that God made us in his image, not the other way around, but it's not very convincing if you think about it.

5. Tribalism. Us vs. Them. Our group of primates wants to survive and make the other group not survive. If we dehumanize them by making their belief systems wrong, it's easier to kill them. They may look like us, but it's not murder if you kill someone who's different on the inside. How do you know if they're different? If they're our neighbors, only their gods will be different.

6. Bullshit rules. Rules about food. Rules about sex. Rules about hair. Rules about clothes. Rules about bullshit ceremonies. WTF? I can see how societies might want to regulate some antisocial behaviors, but what's antisocial about cutting your hair or eating a ham sandwich?

7. Bullshit ceremonies. Speaking of bullshit ceremonies, again, I can see how a society might want to put its seal of approval on marriages or say goodbye to the deceased (in a way that won't bring maggots into the town) but the rest...? Christians have their cannibalistic ritual. Hindus have magic powder that they dribble around. Muslims stick their asses in the air five times a day. Haitians dance around until they believe they've been possessed. What a bunch of hooey. I don't do any of those things and I don't think I'm missing out at all.

8. Life after Death fantasies. This is another commonality. Sure, we don't want to die. We also don't want to believe that our loved ones are truly gone when they die, but this life is very likely (like 99.99999%) all there is. Again, the fact that every culture has this fantasy and that none of them have the same fantasy is pretty good reason not to believe any of them. Notice that when people talk about Heaven they never mention anyone but the people they knew in life as hanging out there? And maybe their pets. They don't think that their granny might be in Hell or that they'll be sharing praise duty with millions of babies that died from cholera and dysentery before society started cleaning up water supplies.

9. Fantasy of being able to make things go your way. This has probably been going on since before recorded history. Make it rain. Make it stop raining. Make the crops grow. Make the antelope slow down. Make the stock market improve. Make my team beat your team. Make the little girl with leukemia survive. None of religion's promises to change events has ever been shown to make a difference except to give comfort and false hope to the people entertaining the fantasy. Comfort and hope are not bad things, but do you really have to deny reality to feel better in times of stress? And doesn't it create more stress when things don't go your way despite praying or dancing or chanting for the supernatural being(s) to intervene?

10. Resistance to change. Sure, tradition is one of the things that binds a community but religion gives people an excuse to resist positive change. People are against marriage not because of their prejudices. Believers who aren't prejudiced seem to handle the idea of people making a lifetime commitment just fine. Ditto, in the old (I hope) days when it was illegal for people of different races to marry.

That's my list off the top of my head. From what I've read about current affairs, history, and other cultures, these things seem fairly universal and they are all detrimental. The population of the world is about to hit seven billion. That's twice what it was fifty years ago (if that). Our species won't survive if we allow bullshit to keep us from solving our shared problems.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is. But our species needs bullshit. Can a publicly outward atheist become a President of the United States? Can a person announce that s/he does not believe in God be popularly elected to become President of the United States? You see, the people, for some reason(s) prefer to believe in a God. That he (how come God is always perceived as male?) is good and fair. Religion provides our species some comfort, that there is something nice, at the end of the tunnel (our life's journey). Which is one of the main reasons people turn to religion, or bullshit, for want of a better word.

Cheers!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

As an American of course I do tend to focus on Christianity's idiocy, but they're all baloney. I tried to find something less offensive than Christianity, but all the other religions fail.

1. Basis in the personal revelation of one person or a string of a few loonies. Personal revelation can be lies, misrepresentations, migraine auras, hallucinations, delusions, or hoaxes. Just not a reliable source of information for basing an entire lifestyle on.

2. Precarious transmission of the "Word." Again, lies, misrepresentations and hoaxes are possible sources of "information." There's also scribal errors, interpolations, deletions, and organizational or personal agendas to consider. Just because a text is "ancient" is no reason to grant it any kind of status. Just the reverse.

3. Fairy tale explanations for the natural world. Genesis is only one of hundreds of creation stories. Every culture on Earth seems to have one. This would indicate there's something innate about the human intellect that needs answers for things like the movement of the stars and why humans can talk but frogs can't. The fact that there are so many of these stories leads to only one conclusion: they are all false. The scientific method is showing all of them to be false, too.
4. Human qualities of "gods." The Genesis story gets around this by saying that God made us in his image, not the other way around, but it's not very convincing if you think about it.

5. Tribalism. Us vs. Them. Our group of primates wants to survive and make the other group not survive. If we dehumanize them by making their belief systems wrong, it's easier to kill them. They may look like us, but it's not murder if you kill someone who's different on the inside. How do you know if they're different? If they're our neighbors, only their gods will be different.

6. Bullshit rules. Rules about food. Rules about sex. Rules about hair. Rules about clothes. Rules about bullshit ceremonies. WTF? I can see how societies might want to regulate some antisocial behaviors, but what's antisocial about cutting your hair or eating a ham sandwich?

7. Bullshit ceremonies. Speaking of bullshit ceremonies, again, I can see how a society might want to put its seal of approval on marriages or say goodbye to the deceased (in a way that won't bring maggots into the town) but the rest...? Christians have their cannibalistic ritual. Hindus have magic powder that they dribble around. Muslims stick their asses in the air five times a day. Haitians dance around until they believe they've been possessed. What a bunch of hooey. I don't do any of those things and I don't think I'm missing out at all.

8. Life after Death fantasies. This is another commonality. Sure, we don't want to die. We also don't want to believe that our loved ones are truly gone when they die, but this life is very likely (like 99.99999%) all there is. Again, the fact that every culture has this fantasy and that none of them have the same fantasy is pretty good reason not to believe any of them. Notice that when people talk about Heaven they never mention anyone but the people they knew in life as hanging out there? And maybe their pets. They don't think that their granny might be in Hell or that they'll be sharing praise duty with millions of babies that died from cholera and dysentery before society started cleaning up water supplies.

9. Fantasy of being able to make things go your way. This has probably been going on since before recorded history. Make it rain. Make it stop raining. Make the crops grow. Make the antelope slow down. Make the stock market improve. Make my team beat your team. Make the little girl with leukemia survive. None of religion's promises to change events has ever been shown to make a difference except to give comfort and false hope to the people entertaining the fantasy. Comfort and hope are not bad things, but do you really have to deny reality to feel better in times of stress? And doesn't it create more stress when things don't go your way despite praying or dancing or chanting for the supernatural being(s) to intervene?

10. Resistance to change. Sure, tradition is one of the things that binds a community but religion gives people an excuse to resist positive change. People are against marriage not because of their prejudices. Believers who aren't prejudiced seem to handle the idea of people making a lifetime commitment just fine. Ditto, in the old (I hope) days when it was illegal for people of different races to marry.

That's my list off the top of my head. From what I've read about current affairs, history, and other cultures, these things seem fairly universal and they are all detrimental. The population of the world is about to hit seven billion. That's twice what it was fifty years ago (if that). Our species won't survive if we allow bullshit to keep us from solving our shared problems.

No doubt you are going to take offense in what I am going to say. Anyway, in my view, the atheist takes the most offense at Christianity, or find Christianity most offensive, is because the Christian worldview is superior to the atheist worldview.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is. But our species needs bullshit. Can a publicly outward atheist become a President of the United States? Can a person announce that s/he does not believe in God be popularly elected to become President of the United States? You see, the people, for some reason(s) prefer to believe in a God. That he (how come God is always perceived as male?) is good and fair. Religion provides our species some comfort, that there is something nice, at the end of the tunnel (our life's journey). Which is one of the main reasons people turn to religion, or bullshit, for want of a better word.

Cheers!

The need for something is not to be confused with the existence of that something. Similarly, for atheists who feels they have no need for God, that by itself does not mean God does not exist.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
God, and religion(s) exist, because men created them.

Cheers!

The need for something is not to be confused with the existence of that something. Similarly, for atheists who feels they have no need for God, that by itself does not mean God does not exist.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one really knows for sure. However, the current notions we have of God(s) and religion are all man-made. They formed from our consciousness and imagination.

Cheers!

Or so the atheist claims.

Therefore the question is, Did God Create Man, or Did Man Create God?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one really knows for sure. However, the current notions we have of God(s) and religion are all man-made. They formed from our consciousness and imagination.

Cheers!

Hmmm...you made a claim (that man created God) that you really do not know for sure?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was never one who asked so many questions to find the "truth." What I know is from what I observe. I wasn't around at the dawn of civilization when our wise ancestors debated over these questions, so I just go by what I can obtain in present times. And so far, God has taken on many forms. Some picture god as a pig, a monkey, some other animal. But mostly God is depicted as an elderly bearded man. And he has appeared to a well-respected sage as a burning bush. So we still do not know what God looks like. And some of our species have claimed that God created us in his image. So God has human-like traits? Certain groups of people believe that God rides a Harley. What do you know of God? Please share.

Cheers!

Hmmm...you made a claim (that man created God) that you really do not know for sure?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was never one who asked so many questions to find the "truth." What I know is from what I observe. I wasn't around at the dawn of civilization when our wise ancestors debated over these questions, so I just go by what I can obtain in present times. And so far, God has taken on many forms. Some picture god as a pig, a monkey, some other animal. But mostly God is depicted as an elderly bearded man. And he has appeared to a well-respected sage as a burning bush. So we still do not know what God looks like. And some of our species have claimed that God created us in his image. So God has human-like traits? Certain groups of people believe that God rides a Harley. What do you know of God? Please share.

Cheers!

Asking good questions and employing critical thinking would be steps in the right direction, if truth is what you are seeking. But if you do not believe there is truth to be found, or that truth is relative (which is ironically an absolute truth claim), then it doesn't matter anyway. Agree?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This question will be answered differently by different peoples, depending on their station/status in life. For many, the day-to-day hardships of making ends meet is of higher urgency than philosophical issues or human morality. For yet some others, environmental, ecological issues are more important than economics. And yet for others, food and sex is all that matters! So, what is absolute truth? Whether there is a God, and if there is, does it matter to him what we do in our insignificant lives?

Cheers!

Asking good questions and employing critical thinking would be steps in the right direction, if truth is what you are seeking. But if you do not believe there is truth to be found, or that truth is relative (which is ironically an absolute truth claim), then it doesn't matter anyway. Agree?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
This question will be answered differently by different peoples, depending on their station/status in life. For many, the day-to-day hardships of making ends meet is of higher urgency than philosophical issues or human morality. For yet some others, environmental, ecological issues are more important than economics. And yet for others, food and sex is all that matters! So, what is absolute truth? Whether there is a God, and if there is, does it matter to him what we do in our insignificant lives?

Cheers!

The issue of truth is hardly a matter of academic interest. It affects us all. We want it, even demand it. Our lives depend on it everyday, even when we do not think about it consciously.

Without going through the whole cycle…perhaps you can share if you believe objective truth exists, and that truth is absolute.

As to whether there is a God and whether it matters to Him what we do…I can only reply that there IS a God and that we matters to Him. How do I know that? Simple answer is “For the Bible tells me so”.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was BORN of a VIRGIN. He ROSE from the DEAD. How truthful can these statements be???

Cheers!

It's either true or false...see how the issue of truth comes up again? It is is false, nothing matters, if it is true, do you think it matters?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one believes, it is only because of faith. Else, it cannot be explained.

Cheers!

It's either true or false...see how the issue of truth comes up again? It is is false, nothing matters, if it is true, do you think it matters?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one believes, it is only because of faith. Else, it cannot be explained.

Cheers!

You completely sidestepped my question. It seems you may not be aware of the difference between truth and belief.

In any case, every moment of our lives we exercise faith and belief. Even atheists’ most revered scientists have a host of beliefs while engaging in their work.…..believe it or not. Peruse any scientific literature and you would often find words like “scientists believe” peppered throughout. Ask yourself why.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because it is more acceptable (by mainstream society) to believe in a God than to publicly deny its existence. Society is tuned to believe that those who believe in the almighty stand on a higher moral ground and will be an acceptable and better respected in the society in which they work and make a living. Not just scientists, but politicians as well, who are in the public's eye. These belief is hot-wired into much of society's thinking. At this juncture in our civilisations/communities, to denounce religion is non-conformist in behavior, still.

Cheers!

You completely sidestepped my question. It seems you may not be aware of the difference between truth and belief.

In any case, every moment of our lives we exercise faith and belief. Even atheists’ most revered scientists have a host of beliefs while engaging in their work.…..believe it or not. Peruse any scientific literature and you would often find words like “scientists believe” peppered throughout. Ask yourself why.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because it is more acceptable (by mainstream society) to believe in a God than to publicly deny its existence. Society is tuned to believe that those who believe in the almighty stand on a higher moral ground and will be an acceptable and better respected in the society in which they work and make a living. Not just scientists, but politicians as well, who are in the public's eye. These belief is hot-wired into much of society's thinking. At this juncture in our civilisations/communities, to denounce religion is non-conformist in behavior, still.

Cheers!

The acceptance or popularity of a belief is irrelevant to whether the belief is true or not. If God exists, it doesn’t matter even if 90% of the population are atheists! But it is interesting that you mentioned about beliefs being hot-wired. If we are hot-wired to believe in God, it means someone has made us. So if there is a God, we would expect that man would be hardwired to believe in God.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many people are "hot-wired" to believe in the existence for a God, or Gods because this has been drummed into their thinking ever since they were kids. And it has been so for a long time already. At first there were many Gods, then there becamse only ONE God, and now, some are even thinking there may not be a god at all. Or if there was, s/he does not get involved with us mortals anymore.

Cheers!

The acceptance or popularity of a belief is irrelevant to whether the belief is true or not. If God exists, it doesn’t matter even if 90% of the population are atheists! But it is interesting that you mentioned about beliefs being hot-wired. If we are hot-wired to believe in God, it means someone has made us. So if there is a God, we would expect that man would be hardwired to believe in God.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many people are "hot-wired" to believe in the existence for a God, or Gods because this has been drummed into their thinking ever since they were kids. And it has been so for a long time already. At first there were many Gods, then there becamse only ONE God, and now, some are even thinking there may not be a god at all. Or if there was, s/he does not get involved with us mortals anymore.

Cheers!

OK…so now you redefine hotwired as being indoctrinated…rather than that man is innately religious by nature. In any case how you get to embrace certain beliefs is not to be confused with the truth of those beliefs. If you atheist dad indoctrinated you in atheism, does that make atheism true?