• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Occifer laopeh tells soon to enlist son to chao keng in NS

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Father pens letter to son before he enlists in NS

ASIAONE
Thursday, Mar 10, 2016

The developments in the court case of Private Dominique Sarron Lee who died in 2012 while he was serving National Service (NS) troubled one Singaporean parent enough for him to pen his thoughts in a letter to his son who is due to enlist in National Service (NS) soon.

Mr Philip Wu, who wrote the online letter on Monday (March 7) to his son, Jonathan, on Medium.com said he was "pretty troubled" by the case and described his own in NS experience when he enlisted in 1987.

Recalling his two-and-a-half years as an "enthusiastic" recruit on Pulau Tekong at Kilo company, he said he fought hard to get into the Officer Cadet School and was eventually selected for conversion to become a Guardsman and ended up a platoon commander.

Mr Wu talked about the risks of his training and cited the death of a fellow officer cadet trainee during a night-time live firing exercise.

He wrote: "I was barely 200m away and heard him shout 'I'm shot'. I was selected to be part of his honour guard at the funeral, and tears streamed freely as we sent off an excellent friend and soldier."

In the letter, he also posed a few questions to Jon like whether he has been doing the "right thing" and whether he has been "teaching him wrong".

Despite the "Singapore system" not been "entirely good to his son", Mr Wu said he still wants him to serve NS with a positive attitude.

He wrote: "Because only then will you be able to make the most of these 2 years. I also want you to learn to look after yourself, and not just depend on the system to protect you.

"And if you ever get into a position of authority, contribute to the system to continue to protect and love the soldiers who are training to defend our country."

While Mr Wu did say that the Singapore Armed Forces seems "impersonal, cold and uncaring", he also made it a point to tell him that this does not reflect reality.

He went on to explain that his peers who trained along with him are "people of integrity and character".

On the need to defend Singapore, Mr Wu briefly spoke about MacDonald House bombing in 1965, World War II and the future threats posed by the Islamic State.

"It is our duty, Jon, as Singaporeans to know the threats facing our country and it is actually quite meaningful to be part of a force of arms equipped and disciplined to defend a country," he wrote.

Despite the difficulties he forsees his son facing, Mr Wu hoped that he will teach Jon right in learning from the past and applying it to the future.

He added: "Train Hard, Be Strong, Be Safe."

[email protected]

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A LETTER TO MY SON BEFORE HE ENLISTS FOR NATIONAL SERVICE…

philipwu1200_internet.jpg

Hi Jonathan,

I’m pretty troubled by the recent court case of the soldier who died of an allergic reaction to zinc chloride from smoke grenades. The soldier’s family did not win the case. His grieving mum regretted on-line that she had taught her son to have faith in the very people who have now defeated her in court and apologised to her dead son.. that she had “taught him wrong”. It was heartrending.

Before you enlist for NS …

Jon, you are going to enlist for National Service one day soon. I have been teaching you to love your country and to be prepared to defend it. We both hope that you will be able to serve your 2 years in a capacity that you are keen on.. Unarmed Combat Training Instructor perhaps?

But in the light of what had happened, am I doing the right thing? Am I “teaching you wrong?”

Dad served out my 2.5 years back in 1987. I was an enthusiastic recruit on Pulau Tekong at Kilo company. I fought hard to get into OCS, and I was privileged to be part of 2/87, Infantry Officer Cadet Course. I was thrilled to be selected for conversion to the Guards and ended up a Platoon commander at Alpha company, 2nd Battalion, Singapore Guards. I jumped out of helicopters, ran around in jungles and cheong sua.

During these training, there were many risks. My batch of officer cadet trainees witnessed our own tragedy. One of our own was shot and killed during a night live firing exercise in 1987. I was barely 200m away and heard him shout “I’m shot”. I was selected to be part of his honour guard at the funeral, and tears streamed freely as we sent off an excellent friend and solider.

Do I still want you to enlist with a positive attitude?

We all know you have to enlist. But do I want you to feel positive about it? The Singapore system had not been entirely good to you. You didn’t benefit from the education system here, and you did not meet a teacher who cared for and inspired you. Things had not been easy for us as a family over these last years. You had received so much more care, consideration and nurturing from outside of Singapore. So how do I advice you?

My answer, Jon, is Yes, I still want you to enlist with a positive attitude. Because only then will you be able to make the most of these 2 years. I also want you to learn to look after yourself, and not just depend on the system to protect you. And if you ever get into a position of authority, contribute to the system to continue to protect and love the soldiers who are training to defend our country.

The SAF seems impersonal, cold and uncaring, but I don’t think that’s the reality. My peers at 2/87 IOCC, who are now colonels and generals in the Army — are people of integrity and character. Their good character cannot be hidden over 9 months during gruelling training at Officer Cadet School. They tell me that every single safety incident, heat exhaustion, accident etc are reported to the highest level and stern action taken — to the point of being demoralising sometimes. They love Singapore, they love their soldiers. They are also fathers with children who will serve in the SAF. It somehow doesn’t quite fit the public image of the SAF, but there it is.

That aside, some Singaporeans argue that “We have no enemies, NS is an unnecessary risk and a waste of time.” Is that true? Or have they forgotten the past?

It is my personal view that the ideas that made Singapore what it is, is worth defending. Not many countries in the world are founded on the concept of “regardless of race, language or religion.” Fewer still have meritocracy or incorruptibility in their DNA. The SG system is far from perfect, but the foundational ideals are precious. And not everyone around us agrees with these ideas.

Is the need to defend SG still relevant?

On 10 March 1965, the MacDonald House along Orchard Road was bombed by Indonesian Marines, Harun and Osman. Elizabeth Suzie Choo, 36, Juliet Goh, 23, and Mohammed Yasin Kesit, 45, a driver, died. 33 others were injured.

These innocents were caught up in “A year of living dangerously” — a phrase coined by then Indonesian President Sukarno. The period marked a season of instability and insurgent terror in the region. Did you know that Indonesian fighters were parachuted into Johor? Somehow, things evolved and the threat passed — our fledgling country survived.

The lesson learnt then is still relevant today. Singapore’s existence as a sovereign nation is not a fact that everyone accepts. Extremists groups with a different view of the future have and do continue to see the existence of our Country as a mere road bump in history.

Fast forward to 2015. Some 500 Indonesian and Malaysian nationals had gone to fight alongside the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq. They have formed a Unit — “Katibah Nusantara” (Malay Archipelago Combat Unit). 17 of them have been killed, 6 carrying out suicide bombing attacks which killed 30 people in Syria and Iraq[1]. ISIS had expressed clear intent of setting up a Caliphate in South East Asia, and by violent means. A caliphate that would adopt Sharia Law, swear allegience to its Emir. Such a Caliphate would not recognise Singapore’s status as an independent nation, and they are ready to shed blood, theirs and ours, to prove their point.
“Never Again — What you cannot defend, is not yours..”

In my mind, never again should this country be vulnerable as it was during WW2. The fate of its inhabitants in the hands of 1 set of foreigners, and handed over to another set of foreigners — powerless to resist, without dignity. Grandad’s generation could not defend their homes. We can.
It is our duty, Jon, as Singaporeans to know the threats facing our country and it is actually quite meaningful to be part of a force of arms equipped and disciplined to defend a country. It’s not just about ISIS — it’s about having the military power when all else fails, to stand-up against those who may wish to destroy what we know to be true, good and valuable.

If there should ever be a real conflict, your primary role is NOT to die for your country. Your primary role is to help the aggressor die for their mistaken beliefs that they can take away ours.
In war, as in training, your role is to accomplish your mission. And then, it is to bring your fellow soldiers or your men — and yourself back home safely, and in that order of priority.

All said, when you start enduring mosquito bites, m&d and lack of sleep, all these ideals will evaporate. Nobody will enjoy sitting out in the rain for the whole night, not bathing for days or eat food out of a tin can or foil. In the end, you will just be shouldering the load for your buddy beside you. You will be digging the shell scrape because you are instructed to do so, and you will be cussing under your breadth at the seeming futility of what you will be doing, and the wasted waiting time. That’s real life buddy. But that will pass. The difference between a pessimist and optimist in life is that both go through the same laughter and pain in life — but the optimist have a better experience of life and more opportunities will open up because you have a higher threshold of endurance and a more positive attitude.

To sum up, we have our individual responsibility to be part of one united Singapore in peacetime. In our own small ways to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality. So that we can contribute to a country where our fellow citizens can be happy, can prosper and can progress as a nation.

I hope I am teaching you right Jon. At the end of the day, you should know the past, understand the present and choose to shape your future.

Train Hard, Be Strong, Be Safe.

DAD

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy is a dreamer ... there are already so many foreign imported shits who got their shitizenship without doing NS ... what is so glam about contributing to the defence of sinkie land? When war comes to sinkie land, these imported shits will flee and local sinkies will die. If there is no war, the imported shits will enjoy the good living in the island while the locals will struggle through NS.

Dumbhead to be proud about serving NS.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some foreign shit on fully paid scholarship will be f*cking his son's girlfriend while his son is shouting "any sweat no sweat ..." in the m&d.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Phillip Wu mentioned that in 1987, in his OCS company 2/87 IOCC, there was one fatality whereby a trainee was shot and died during one life firing exercise... I would like to know what was the findings of the COI, BOI and coroner's enquiry (and the learning points there off)?... Did the officer order trainees to shoot at each other or had planned the operation so poorly that trainees were expected to run in the line of fire at night???!!! We're trainees aware where live bullets were flying or were trainees just ordered to shoot randomly at anyone/ anything that moved???

This surfaced fact casts doubts over the safety and validity of SAF infantry officer's training / the instructor's concern for NSmen... I think more light should be shorne on the ill fated night of 1987 so all parents and NSmen can sleep well at night...
https://medium.com/@philipwu/my-son-is-going-to-enlist-for-ns-soon-726e38705542

A LETTER TO MY SON BEFORE HE ENLISTS FOR NATIONAL SERVICE…
Hi Jonathan,
I’m pretty troubled by the recent court case of the soldier who died of an allergic reaction to zinc chloride from smoke grenades. The soldier’s family did not win the case. His grieving mum regretted on-line that she had taught her son to have faith in the very people who have now defeated her in court and apologised to her dead son.. that she had “taught him wrong”. It was heartrending.
Before you enlist for NS …

Jon, you are going to enlist for National Service one day soon. I have been teaching you to love your country and to be prepared to defend it. We both hope that you will be able to serve your 2 years in a capacity that you are keen on.. Unarmed Combat Training Instructor perhaps?
But in the light of what had happened, am I doing the right thing? Am I “teaching you wrong?”
Dad served out my 2.5 years back in 1987. I was an enthusiastic recruit on Pulau Tekong at Kilo company. I fought hard to get into OCS, and I was privileged to be part of 2/87, Infantry Officer Cadet Course. I was thrilled to be selected for conversion to the Guards and ended up a Platoon commander at Alpha company, 2nd Battalion, Singapore Guards. I jumped out of helicopters, ran around in jungles and cheong sua.
During these training, there were many risks. My batch of officer cadet trainees witnessed our own tragedy. One of our own was shot and killed during a night live firing exercise in 1987. I was barely 200m away and heard him shout “I’m shot”. I was selected to be part of his honour guard at the funeral, and tears streamed freely as we sent off an excellent friend and solider.
Do I still want you to enlist with a positive attitude?
We all know you have to enlist. But do I want you to feel positive about it? The Singapore system had not been entirely good to you. You didn’t benefit from the education system here, and you did not meet a teacher who cared for and inspired you. Things had not been easy for us as a family over these last years. You had received so much more care, consideration and nurturing from outside of Singapore. So how do I advice you?
My answer, Jon, is Yes, I still want you to enlist with a positive attitude. Because only then will you be able to make the most of these 2 years. I also want you to learn to look after yourself, and not just depend on the system to protect you. And if you ever get into a position of authority, contribute to the system to continue to protect and love the soldiers who are training to defend our country.
The SAF seems impersonal, cold and uncaring, but I don’t think that’s the reality. My peers at 2/87 IOCC, who are now colonels and generals in the Army — are people of integrity and character. Their good character cannot be hidden over 9 months during gruelling training at Officer Cadet School. They tell me that every single safety incident, heat exhaustion, accident etc are reported to the highest level and stern action taken — to the point of being demoralising sometimes. They love Singapore, they love their soldiers. They are also fathers with children who will serve in the SAF. It somehow doesn’t quite fit the public image of the SAF, but there it is.
That aside, some Singaporeans argue that “We have no enemies, NS is an unnecessary risk and a waste of time.” Is that true? Or have they forgotten the past?
It is my personal view that the ideas that made Singapore what it is, is worth defending. Not many countries in the world are founded on the concept of “regardless of race, language or religion.” Fewer still have meritocracy or incorruptibility in their DNA. The SG system is far from perfect, but the foundational ideals are precious. And not everyone around us agrees with these ideas.
Is the need to defend SG still relevant?
On 10 March 1965, the MacDonald House along Orchard Road was bombed by Indonesian Marines, Harun and Osman. Elizabeth Suzie Choo, 36, Juliet Goh, 23, and Mohammed Yasin Kesit, 45, a driver, died. 33 others were injured.

These innocents were caught up in “A year of living dangerously” — a phrase coined by then Indonesian President Sukarno. The period marked a season of instability and insurgent terror in the region. Did you know that Indonesian fighters were parachuted into Johor? Somehow, things evolved and the threat passed — our fledgling country survived.
The lesson learnt then is still relevant today. Singapore’s existence as a sovereign nation is not a fact that everyone accepts. Extremists groups with a different view of the future have and do continue to see the existence of our Country as a mere road bump in history.

Fast forward to 2015. Some 500 Indonesian and Malaysian nationals had gone to fight alongside the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq. They have formed a Unit — “Katibah Nusantara” (Malay Archipelago Combat Unit). 17 of them have been killed, 6 carrying out suicide bombing attacks which killed 30 people in Syria and Iraq[1]. ISIS had expressed clear intent of setting up a Caliphate in South East Asia, and by violent means. A caliphate that would adopt Sharia Law, swear allegience to its Emir. Such a Caliphate would not recognise Singapore’s status as an independent nation, and they are ready to shed blood, theirs and ours, to prove their point.
“Never Again — What you cannot defend, is not yours..”
In my mind, never again should this country be vulnerable as it was during WW2. The fate of its inhabitants in the hands of 1 set of foreigners, and handed over to another set of foreigners — powerless to resist, without dignity. Grandad’s generation could not defend their homes. We can.
It is our duty, Jon, as Singaporeans to know the threats facing our country and it is actually quite meaningful to be part of a force of arms equipped and disciplined to defend a country. It’s not just about ISIS — it’s about having the military power when all else fails, to stand-up against those who may wish to destroy what we know to be true, good and valuable.
If there should ever be a real conflict, your primary role is NOT to die for your country. Your primary role is to help the aggressor die for their mistaken beliefs that they can take away ours.
In war, as in training, your role is to accomplish your mission. And then, it is to bring your fellow soldiers or your men — and yourself back home safely, and in that order of priority.
All said, when you start enduring mosquito bites, m&d and lack of sleep, all these ideals will evaporate. Nobody will enjoy sitting out in the rain for the whole night, not bathing for days or eat food out of a tin can or foil. In the end, you will just be shouldering the load for your buddy beside you. You will be digging the shell s****e because you are instructed to do so, and you will be cussing under your breadth at the seeming futility of what you will be doing, and the wasted waiting time. That’s real life buddy. But that will pass. The difference between a pessimist and optimist in life is that both go through the same laughter and pain in life — but the optimist have a better experience of life and more opportunities will open up because you have a higher threshold of endurance and a more positive attitude.
To sum up, we have our individual responsibility to be part of one united Singapore in peacetime. In our own small ways to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality. So that we can contribute to a country where our fellow citizens can be happy, can prosper and can progress as a nation.
I hope I am teaching you right Jon. At the end of the day, you should know the past, understand the present and choose to shape your future.
Train Hard, Be Strong, Be Safe.
DAD
[1] http://thediplomat.com/2016/01/mala...ide-bombers-kill-more-than-30-in-middle-east/

https://medium.com/@philipwu/my-son-is-going-to-enlist-for-ns-soon-726e38705542