• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

People Are Forgetting Something Important In Benjamin Lim’s Suicide

chittychitty

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the Benjamin Lim blame game, we fail to discuss this important subject.

Most of the news I read in the past couple of days was whether the police’s treatment of Benjamin the day of his suicide caused him to jump, if the Ministry of Home Affairs is covering its backside, or whether The Online Citizen opportunistically used his death as a lever of anger against the police.

But in this blame game, besides harping on the procedures, who did what and who said what, we are losing a huge opportunity to have a nationwide discussion on why people commit suicide.

There are about 400 suicides and another 1000 attempted suicides, per year from 2000-2014.

What makes a person want to kill himself? Is life in Singapore really so bad?

Those who have never contemplated suicide may not understand the turmoil and trauma that suicidal people experience. I want to change that.

I’m not a psychologist nor philosopher, but I’ve been there before, wavering between deciding on the value of life, and the value of ending it. This is what I went through. It may be different for each suicidal person, but I hope my sharing helps those who criticise Benjamin’s actions to understand a bit more about the feelings and thoughts that possibly went through his head, and whether there was any chance things could have been different.

1. It can be hard to tell who is suicidal

Suicidal people may not tell anyone that they want to end their lives. Sometimes it’s a surrender to their assumptions that no one can truly understand them, they cannot express the depth of their suffering in mere words, and they can’t handle ridicule and scepticism from their loved ones who may not take their feelings seriously.

2. It is an accumulation of many setbacks, not just one

Suicidal people may not be daunted by one major setback, but because their lives have recently accumulated multiple failures, disappointments and obstacles to future happiness, it is easy to tip them over the edge with just one more negativity.

3. Suicidal thoughts come and go, and they usually have a root in the person’s mind even before the tipping point comes along

I’m not sure about others, but I had long internal debates with myself about the point of staying alive, before moving onto thoughts about suicide, and how I would get it over and done with quickly.

Would I need to write a will or farewell letter before I went (I actually did), what kind of wake/funeral arrangements would I want and how to tie up loose ends?

I think that a suicidal person would most likely have contemplated the consequences of suicide and planned for it, before something comes along to hasten the final decision.

See more at People Are Forgetting Something Important In Benjamin Lim’s Suicide

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
With due respect, I can somewhat agree with above points if the person is an adult, or someone who went through very tough period of life even if they are young.

From Benjamin's case, it doesn't seem like he went through the above given his age and family environment. However, having said that, only Benjamin will know.

My thoughts are, besides the molest case, the school counsellor who called, as well as he being barred from school camp, may well be the trigger point. How tactful was this councellor? What was said by him? That may well push, pun not intended, Benjamin over the edge.

The school, imo, also has obligation to inform his parents/Guardian as the school owes them a duty of care to parent when they send their children to school. School should not release the child to anyone, including police. Police can go to his home to invite him for investigation, as crime was not committed within school compound.

One may like to know that in nursing homes, ONlY the person who brought in the patient can bring/sign the patient out, including determining which doctor or care the patient need. Not any other person including parents if the adult patient was brought in by his/her spouse or adult children. Court cannot even allow the parent to bring patient out of nursing home if the patient's spouse is the one who admitted him/her there.