• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How much cash do you need

MovieStar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just after Chinese New Year, Rakuten surprised about 30 of its employees in Singapore by telling them they were being made redundant and having them leave the office immediately. Over the last couple of months, employees at Shell, Barclays, Yahoo and Resorts World Sentosa have faced redundancies too. While some of these people may have found a new role right away, a key question for others is how to pay the bills until they find a new job.

HOW MUCH CASH IS ENOUGH

Experts suggest keeping about six months’ worth of expenses available for just such a situation.

Investment management firm Vanguard says most experts believe you should have enough money in your emergency fund to cover at least three to six months’ of living expenses, for instance, and some experts suggest even more. AXA suggests that since we often hear cases of friends or relatives falling on tough times, such as an illness like cancer or being retrenched, “the usual recommended emergency fund should be large enough to provide for at least six to 12 months of living expenses”.

Factors that affect how much to save include how secure your job is, how marketable your skills are, and the likelihood of healthcare or other emergencies.

The reason for saving, as personal finance portal MoneySmart explained, is that building an emergency fund gives a financial “buffer” to pay out-of-pocket expenses. “You don’t have to rely on loans or credit cards to cover any financial emergency, from your home loan repayment to your phone bill.”

Those recommendations tally with Ministry of Manpower data, which recently showed that 54 per cent of people made redundant found “re-entry into employment” within six months and 67 per cent within 12 months.

They also fit with Singaporeans’ current practices and goals. The Financial Planning Standard Board’s 2015 Singapore Survey showed that 55 per cent of Singaporeans say building savings or an “emergency” fund is one of their top five priorities. The Blackrock Global Investor Pulse Survey also found that Singaporeans are generally risk-averse and need to have an average of seven months’ worth of salary in savings before feeling comfortable enough to invest.

HOW TO SAVE

While putting money aside may seem difficult, the UK Money Advice Service offers highly practical suggestions on how to set up an emergency fund. The first step is to estimate amounts for critical expenses such as food, housing, healthcare, utilities and transportation. Then, start saving by “stashing away smaller amounts on a regular basis, like every week. If you keep it up, over time you’ll eventually meet your goal”. Those funds should go into investments that are safe from market risk, easy to access and interest-bearing.

To make saving easier, financial advisor Suze Orman suggests opening a savings account and naming it something like My Emergency Fund, so you feel great knowing you are building security and also remind yourself of your goal. “Sure, it could take years to reach your goal,” Ms Orman advised. “The important issue is that you are starting to save today.”

It can also be beneficial to set up separate funds for unexpected expenses and for emergencies. University of Minnesota Extension Educator Susan Hooper noted a difference between “set aside savings”, for periodic expenses such as replacing a broken appliance or travelling to visit a sick relative, and ”emergency income savings”, to pay the mortgage and utilities if income stops for a few months. “This money could prevent eviction,” she said.

MAKING THE MOST OF THE CASH

One challenge, as MoneySmart noted, is that “savings accounts in Singapore tend to offer rather pathetic interest rates”. Even so, “you want to stick with a savings account for one major reason – liquidity. If you tie up your emergency funds in stocks, bonds or mutual funds, you’re not only putting your cash at risk if the market dips – you’re making it harder to get to your cash quickly if disaster strikes.”

A team led by Prairie View A&M University Faculty Member Janine Scott has a different view, however, as they found that keeping all of your emergency fund dollars in cash may be a bad idea, especially for more affluent investors. Their research showed that allocating six months of expenses to cash resulted in both lower overall wealth at retirement than investing that money in stock and bond funds, and also more frequent situations in which the fund failed to cover emergencies.

It may be preferable for some people, then, to put funds into an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) that invests in short-term bonds or another investment that pays more yet is still immediately accessible and less volatile.

WHAT TO DO

While the amount to put into an emergency fund and where to keep the money may vary from person to person, it is essential to put money aside so you are prepared for any situation. Even though few of us expect or even want to think that we may be made redundant or face a healthcare scare anytime soon, being prepared for uncertainties can ensure that we don’t face even more calamities if an unexpected emergency does indeed happen.

http://www.todayonline.com/business/how-much-cash-do-you-need

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This article only deals with the short term. Far more important is set a goal of accumulating enough in income generating assets to attain financial independence before 50 and preferably before the age of 45.

MovieStar

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article only deals with the short term. Far more important is set a goal of accumulating enough in income generating assets to attain financial independence before 50 and preferably before the age of 45.

so how much is needed for retirement?

3-5m?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
so how much is needed for retirement?

3-5m?

How long is piece of string? Everybody has different needs and lifestyles.

It all depends upon what sort of lifestyle you want to lead.

Work based on $40,000 yield (after taxes) pa for every million in assets.

So $3 million will give you an annual passive income of $120,000

$5 million will yield $200,000.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

totally agree. I just need $600 per mth for retirement.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just after Chinese New Year, Rakuten surprised about 30 of its employees in Singapore by telling them they were being made redundant and having them leave the office immediately. Over the last couple of months, employees at Shell, Barclays, Yahoo and Resorts World Sentosa have faced redundancies too. While some of these people may have found a new role right away, a key question for others is how to pay the bills until they find a new job.

HOW MUCH CASH IS ENOUGH

Experts suggest keeping about six months’ worth of expenses available for just such a situation.

It is best to have at least 12 months of emergency reserves. In this job climate, don't count on getting another job so soon if you have been retrenched.

Also, you must take into account the possible need for sudden medical bills or unexpected expenses like needing to go overseas to attend a function.

Emergency funds must be as liquid as possible. This is not a fund where you invest to make returns. It is simply to provide you liquidity in a situation whether you have not retired yet but find yourself out of a job.

KopiMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is best to have at least 12 months of emergency reserves. In this job climate, don't count on getting another job so soon if you have been retrenched.

Also, you must take into account the possible need for sudden medical bills or unexpected expenses like needing to go overseas to attend a function.

Emergency funds must be as liquid as possible. This is not a fund where you invest to make returns. It is simply to provide you liquidity in a situation whether you have not retired yet but find yourself out of a job.

if cannot find job after 12 months, how?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cash is just a temporary solution,its best to have a constant flow of passive income that can sustain you indefinitely.....full financial independence is not necessary,im hoping to achieve semi financial independence state at least.maybe a 200k portfolio that can generate 10 to 12k dividends a year.every single dollar counts,even a 1k per month passive income can offer me flexibility in life choices and reduce my dependence on employment income......it can also help to sustain me on my trips to australia and sustain my lifestyle instead of having to rely on limited funds/budget....

not too concerned about achieving full financial independence though,im scared if i achieved full financial independence and a high passive income,i might lose the propensity to work and just sit around and do nothing all day for the rest of my life.

MovieStar

Alfrescian
Loyal
cash is just a temporary solution,its best to have a constant flow of passive income that can sustain you indefinitely.....full financial independence is not necessary,im hoping to achieve semi financial independence state at least.maybe a 200k portfolio that can generate 10 to 12k dividends a year.every single dollar counts,even a 1k per month passive income can offer me flexibility in life choices and reduce my dependence on employment income......it can also help to sustain me on my trips to australia and sustain my lifestyle instead of having to rely on limited funds/budget....

not too concerned about achieving full financial independence though,im scared if i achieved full financial independence and a high passive income,i might lose the propensity to work and just sit around and do nothing all day for the rest of my life.

naive la. 200k portfolio to generate 12k dividend.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont dream, got money boh?

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

u is master of retirement,tell me what is it u do with ur life after retirement?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
u is master of retirement,tell me what is it u do with ur life after retirement?

I'm working very hard doing things that enjoy and which also earn me a nice income.

Retirement does not mean you don't do any work. It only means that you don't have to.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's easier and less costly to retire in sg, thanks to the pap.

in the u.s., the 2016 eitc income limit per person filing taxes (every resident must file tax every year even though one is retired) is us$14,880. per couple filing taxes, it is us$20,430. for investment income, e.g. capital gains, it is us$3400. if you're earning an income, receiving social security payments, or drawing cash from your 401k, collecting interest payments from savings accounts, whether through part time work, contract work, or in total retirement, the amount exceeding the eitc limit will be taxable. it is also known as the poverty line. the problem with paying additional taxes after one's retirement is ludicrous. it's like a retiree is taxed again, sometimes the third time, for wise decisions and planning that one carefully crafts since young. imagine you've been paying taxes all your working life, and when you retire at 60, the cash withdrawals from your 401k retirement account or interest earnings from savings accounts are taxable beyond eitc limits. in order not to pay any additional taxes, the retiree can only withdraw less than us$14,880 per individual or us$20,430 per couple per year. but if the retiree earns capital gains from his investments exceeding us$3400, the gains are added to the withdrawals which may exceed the limits. not only that, if a retiree has annuity or dividend payments from other investment accounts, these are considered income and added to the total eitc. it is therefore extremely difficult to juggle retirement earnings to go below the eitc radar to avoid taxes. moreover, for lifestyle purposes and desires, a retiree may wish to live on us$96k per year without touching the principal rather than the paltry us$14k. by withdrawing the additional us$82k ($96k - $14k), the retiree now has to pay tax on us$82k. what a crock of a tax system!

the best investment vehicle in the u.s. currently that minimizes tax risks and exposures is real estate. if you have rental incomes, they are offset by depreciation of your properties over a 20-year span. in areas where housing values are high (>us$1m per home), the depreciation per year is typically higher than the annual rent collected, thus providing a negative balance on the tax filing. the negative balance can be used to offset gains that exceed the eitc limit. moreover, rental incomes do not add to the eitc before and after retirement. a retiree can earn well over us$14k from rental income alone without worrying about paying taxes. this is the reason why the more well off in the u.s. who are reaching retirement tend to put almost all their eggs in properties. it's much less of a hassle when taxation is involved. moreover, they build equity over time and can be handed down to future generations via family trusts with little to no penalties or exposures, e.g. death tax (quadruple tax) or probate.

sinkies should consider themselves lucky that when one plans wisely and put much money into a diverse portfolio and or instruments with good yields, they can reap the rewards for retirement without being double-taxed or triple-taxed like in the u.s. moreover, sinkies pay no taxes on capital gains. that is huge when one considers parking one's wealth for investment income or trading stocks for chump change with spare cash.

in sg, one can easily retire with flat paid off, basic medical care, no car, no vices, and live frugally on s$969 per month. :wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wish to add that when one reaches 62 in the u.s. and is eligible to collect on social security, albeit at minimum benefits with respect to monthly cash payments, the amount collected is considered earned income and is taxable beyond the eitc limit. sucks. sg is the best! :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's easier and less costly to retire in sg, thanks to the pap.
Not true.

in the u.s., the 2016 eitc income limit per person filing taxes (every resident must file tax every year even though one is retired) is us$14,880. per couple filing taxes, it is us$20,430. for investment income, e.g. capital gains, it is us$3400. if you're earning an income, receiving social security payments, or drawing cash from your 401k, collecting interest payments from savings accounts, whether through part time work, contract work, or in total retirement, the amount exceeding the eitc limit will be taxable. it is also known as the poverty line. the problem with paying additional taxes after one's retirement is ludicrous. it's like a retiree is taxed again, sometimes the third time, for wise decisions and planning that one carefully crafts since young. imagine you've been paying taxes all your working life, and when you retire at 60, the cash withdrawals from your 401k retirement account or interest earnings from savings accounts are taxable beyond eitc limits. in order not to pay any additional taxes, the retiree can only withdraw less than us$14,880 per individual or us$20,430 per couple per year. but if the retiree earns capital gains from his investments exceeding us$3400, the gains are added to the withdrawals which may exceed the limits. not only that, if a retiree has annuity or dividend payments from other investment accounts, these are considered income and added to the total eitc. it is therefore extremely difficult to juggle retirement earnings to go below the eitc radar to avoid taxes. moreover, for lifestyle purposes and desires, a retiree may wish to live on us$96k per year without touching the principal rather than the paltry us$14k. by withdrawing the additional us$82k ($96k - $14k), the retiree now has to pay tax on us$82k. what a crock of a tax system!

Ay, of course you have to pay tax. Your social security contribution is before tax. So when you get social security upon retirement, it is income. Likewise, when you draw down your 401k. Your contribution is before tax.
It is crock system only because you like to have free lunch. Then come back to sinkapore ....and see what kind of 'free' lunch, the PAP gives you.

in sg, one can easily retire with flat paid off, basic medical care, no car, no vices, and live frugally on s$969 per month. :wink:

Then why you no want to move back?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wish to add that when one reaches 62 in the u.s. and is eligible to collect on social security, albeit at minimum benefits with respect to monthly cash payments, the amount collected is considered earned income and is taxable beyond the eitc limit. sucks. sg is the best! :biggrin:

Social security is income lah ...when you contribute to SS, it was using pre-tax income and you didn't have to pay tax for that amount.