• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good White Boy Came Back To Serve NS! No Complaints Unlike Whining Sinkies! NDU Leh!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A slip of paper he had received in 2010 - when he was 16 - turned Aneirin Flynn's whole life upside down.

The Singapore-born man recalls how he was uprooted from his life in England - a place he had called home since he was three years old.

The letter was a call to report for a pre-enlistment medical screening here for national service.

Mr Flynn, now 22, is among the Singaporeans who returned here from overseas to serve.

The issue has recently been in the spotlight after news site stuff.co.nz published an article about 19-year-old Singapore-born Brandon Smith.

The teenager, who has lived in New Zealand most of his life, was reportedly ordered to turn up for his pre-enlistment medical screening and faces a jail term and a fine if he does not.

In Mr Flynn's case, he decided he would go through NS and adjust to life here.

Speaking with an English accent, he says: "I was always aware that Singapore is a part of my life, and that I had to go through NS some day."

His family uprooted their lives in England, just so that they could relocate back here.

His lecturer-father and artist-mother had to give up their established careers, a cosy two-storey house, a car and close friends.

Mr David Flynn, 53, a lecturer at Nanyang Technological University, says: "Our son is also a son of Singapore, so it was a given that he would have to serve.

NP_20160131_HBSERVICEFLYNN_1152444.jpg

"Our family had always been adaptable so we saw the move as a new adventure."

The younger Mr Flynn confesses that the move was scary: "It was very sudden. I had so many people who cared about me there, and it was difficult to leave the place that made me who I am."

But once he had made up his mind, Mr Flynn came back two years ahead of the 2013 due date. He was 17 when he returned and did his A levels at Victoria Junior College.

By the time he started his NS stint at the Naval Diving Unit (NDU), he had eased into life here.

He says with a chortle: "I could speak Singlish and even picked up some Hokkien swear words."

Yet no amount of local immersion prepared him for NS.

He stood out because he looked and spoke differently from others. That meant being noticed from day one, recounts Mr Flynn.

"From my accent and the way I look, it was obvious I stood out a bit. Everything I did was more or less amplified," he says.

And because he stood out, Mr Flynn was chosen to be the first in-charge (IC) for his platoon - an experience he still remembers.

He says: "I had no idea what the commands were in Malay and I remember staying up, frantically memorising them."

PLATOON COMMANDER
Mr Flynn went on to excel and was one of five men chosen to attend Officer Cadet School. He eventually became a platoon commander in the NDU.

Going from being an outsider to giving out commands was a drastic change for Mr Flynn.

"It was a steep learning curve, but I learnt a lot about mutual respect and had great fun," he says.

A year has passed since Mr Flynn finished his NS. He is now a graphic designer.

He admits that he misses life back in England occasionally - especially berry-picking in the countryside, but he is also a self-professed prata-eating, complain king Singaporean.

"I am a Singaporean, and this is my home," he says with conviction.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...cial&utm_source=Facebook#sthash.5PsGzeVI.dpuf

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Good White Boy Came Back To Serve NS! No Complaints Unlike Whining Sinkies! NDU L

He realised his nz heritage goes down well with colonial judges n his sinkie background stench with his colonial masters. He has no where else to fark off.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Good White Boy Came Back To Serve NS! No Complaints Unlike Whining Sinkies! NDU L

thats some weird inbreeding nazi genetic experimentation dna splicing over there......a ugly chink plus a ugly honkie coming up with some mixed anglo asian oriental dish.

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal

If their family wasn't rich, they wouldn't be so casual with their adventure in Singapore.

Unlike whining sinkies who are saddled with 10 years of reservists and yearly IPPT, he has a backdoor back to England if he had enough of PAP rule and overcrowded Singapore through his British father.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Father probably couldn't get a teaching position in the UK and hence the move to sinkieland was like an FT coming to work here. I know several UK lecturers teaching English in Malaysia now, and they were certified teachers in the UK. Must be a lot of lay offs there in the education field. I guess its not really a hardship for them, if the father can find long term employment at Nanyang Poly. Mother as an artist, don't what she can do here.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

How come MINDEF know his address in the UK and can send him a letter for pre-enlistment medical screening? You mean his parents are so fucking stupid, they give their address to MINDEF? Let them find him lah. Sure cannot if they don't tell MINDEF.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How come MINDEF know his address in the UK and can send him a letter for pre-enlistment medical screening? You mean his parents are so fucking stupid, they give their address to MINDEF? Let them find him lah. Sure cannot if they don't tell MINDEF.

It is like, drawing the circular target at the backside....that 'points to , come f%$%%k me'.....the parents must be damn desperate to get 'fed' here in Singapore....I will f$%$%&%*&k my parents if I have spent growing up years outside to come back here for NATIONAL SLAVERY.....I would have gone & seek asylum....f$%$^k I serve "national slavery'..no way, no way!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

they might have left a friend's or relative's address in sg, and the letter could easily be forwarded to them.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

None of the sons of the sinkies that I know who have emigrated to NZ and OZ have had to go back and do NS so I don't know why these stupid Ang Mohs have been forced to return.

There is obviously more to the story than meets the eye.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

...I don't know why these stupid Ang Mohs have been forced to return. ....obviously more to the story than meets the eye.
This sounds like a propaganda piece. To counter the other negative non-return.
Isn't trade off that ex sinkie cuts off all prospects of darkening shores of tiny red dot?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

You people seem to make such a big deal about serving NS. What's the big shit about it??? If one has to serve, then just do it. If one doesn't have to, its that person's fate. Just do your part, and let others do theirs!

Cheers!

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You people seem to make such a big deal about serving NS. What's the big shit about it??? If one has to serve, then just do it. If one doesn't have to, its that person's fate. Just do your part, and let others do theirs!

Cheers!

obviously its a big deal,if not why the trumpeting of the white man's return to serve his motherland duties?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

I can understand it to be a big deal if it is one's own son, but if there is no relation, why does it matter? Every male citizen goes through it, so it is a routine procedure for every male citizen. What's so special about this case? For his immediate family, it is an occasion, but what is it to you? Or anybody else?

Cheers!

obviously its a big deal,if not why the trumpeting of the white man's return to serve his motherland duties?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I can understand it to be a big deal if it is one's own son, but if there is no relation, why does it matter? Every male citizen goes through it, so it is a routine procedure for every male citizen. What's so special about this case? For his immediate family, it is an occasion, but what is it to you? Or anybody else?

Cheers!

thats because no one wants to do it,its a shitty deal,but we are all forced to,thats why its a big deal.precisely everyone's son has to do it,every singapore son has to do it,thats why we all understand and sympathise,all 1.5 million of us victims who have been thru NS.now if u are one of the 8 percent of the population super patriotism looney ones who think its no big deal ready to jin zhong bao guo like yue fei,why dont i recommend u sign up to the US armed forces and go fight ISIS.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i congratulate this white boy,now that he has bowed down to the fictional might and power and influence of the SAF and Sinapore law,he is now fully sinkified,hes gonna be a daft and stupid sinkie and PAP's bitch for the rest of his life until he repents and wakes up.being a sinkie is the worst deal of all.even pinoy maids are more highly esteemed than daft sinkies.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i have said it before, NS instill discipline in a young man but after he goes out to society to work, all will be back to square one, the 2 years which he spent to dig trenches and charge up the peng kang hill will just be a memory. he will enjoy after work life, drink and make merry and surely, i bet he will return to UK once he 's done with PAP!:eek::biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i have said it before, NS instill discipline in a young man but after he goes out to society to work, all will be back to square one, the 2 years which he spent to dig trenches and charge up the peng kang hill will just be a memory......D

It doesn't just end after 2 years. Don't forget about the IPPT, reservice obligations, need to inform mindef when travelling, .... & the disadvantages when competing with foreigners for jobs in Spore.

I think he will regret the decision to serve NS.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The cases I see are usually because

1. the father have not served NS and therefore do not know what the son will be in for.

2. having a domineering sillipore mother who is concerned that the son cannot come back to attend her family
events (grandparents funeral, cousins wedding ect2 ).

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Isn't this a fine example of "Ang Moh the Best!"

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro, I am not saying one has to like/enjoy serving NS. In Singapore's case, at the time it was introduced, there were legitimate and sound reason(s) for its implementation, and everyone enlisted hated it. Before I enlisted, already, my uncles and older cousins who entered earlier already bombarded me with all kinds of horrid stories that during the medical screening, I already tried to downgrade my physical status, but not successful, Having gone through it, yes, it was demanding, but not to the extent my elder made it out to be. And from what I understand, today, ill-treatment and cases of sadism, abuse, vulgar-language and all that terrible stuff has reduced, to focus more on military efficiency. So it has improved. (Although some may say it has "softened.")

But whatever it is, it is part of the law in Singapore. I'd say that NS is now accepted as part of Singaporean life.

If it is so unpopular, or detrimental to one's life and/or career, someone (eg; opposition party) should be speaking out for its abolishment. But all seems quiet. From this, I gather that NS is an accepted part of life in Singapore.

Cheers!

thats because no one wants to do it,its a shitty deal,but we are all forced to,thats why its a big deal.precisely everyone's son has to do it,every singapore son has to do it,thats why we all understand and sympathise,all 1.5 million of us victims who have been thru NS.now if u are one of the 8 percent of the population super patriotism looney ones who think its no big deal ready to jin zhong bao guo like yue fei,why dont i recommend u sign up to the US armed forces and go fight ISIS.