• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Benjamin's eyes refused to close.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
bros ,

anyone pls update SPF definition of molest ?

i google found this online -

molest/məˈlɛst/
verb

assault or abuse (a person, especially a woman or child) sexually.
pester or harass (someone) in an aggressive or persistent manner.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG Polis Cockedup BIG THIS TIME!

sibumingmu.jpg

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought the matter has died down ... no it didn't. It has now blown into a conflagration

Asian Correspondent reports :

IF the truest test of a society’s integrity is how it protects its most vulnerable members, the death of a 14-year-old following an unaccompanied and unrecorded police “interview” is tragic proof of our abject failure.

Benjamin Lim was a 14-year-old student who allegedly molested a girl. After obtaining positive identification from the school, police officers “took” him away for a three-hour “interview” without his parents’ consent. During Benjamin’s “interview”, his mother’s request to see him was denied. When she asked to review the evidence, she was rebuffed. Upon release, Benjamin tells his mother that he confessed to a crime he did not commit. Hours later, he killed himself.

Questions abound. Why was Benjamin taken away without the permission of his parents? Did the police overstep their authority and unlawfully detain an innocent individual? Or were they arresting a suspect based on sound evidence? If Benjamin was indeed arrested, why is his interrogation being called an “interview”? What happened during the course of this three-hour interrogation and why was he not allowed to see his mother?

Crowning these questions is the nagging suspicion that Benjamin killed himself because he had been compelled to confess to a crime he did not commit—the punishment and stigma of which would ruin the rest of his life.

Although suicide is, by definition, the victim’s own action, it does not mean that no one may be held liable for causing it. Even if the victim were mentally sound, the chain of causation, while disrupted by the intervening act of suicide, is still relevant. In a 1960 ruling, the California Court of Appeal reasoned that since an individual who abuses his victim may be held liable for his victim’s self-inflicted injuries, the same logic applies if the self-inflicted injury causes death. Or in other words, if abuse leads to suicide, the perpetrator’s abuse may be considered a proximate cause of the victim’s death. Therefore, moral and legal culpability apply (subject to other considerations such as intention and foreseeability). Some may disagree with the example and cite that Singapore is not California, but since the logic here is not place-dependent, we may consider the objection irrelevant.

“Justice demands that we determine if there was any police misconduct.”
All of this is not to say that the police officers involved should be held liable for Benjamin’s death. Rather, it means that we cannot exclude the possibility that these officers were responsible, which in turn means that a transparent and thorough investigation into possible police misconduct is necessary. And if there has been any misconduct, questions need to be asked about the flaws in our justice system which allow officers to compel false confessions out of minors.

As with all unnatural deaths, a police investigation is routine. However, it cannot merely be routine—as is so often the case with the opaque institutions in power. This is not merely a matter of appeasing the public or dispelling doubts about the police’s integrity—it is a matter of justice.

Unquote

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I thought the matter has died down ... no it didn't. It has now blown into a conflagration

That's just some liberal hogwash. Don't worry about it.

In a few days the whole of Singapore will realise that the police were perfectly justified in their actions and life will carry on as if nothing ever happened.

Singaporeans have very short memories. Remember the upsurge of indignation over the Roy Ngerng saga and the flood of donations he received soon after. Well all was forgotten well before the election. :rolleyes: 70% decided that CPF was in perfectly safe hands after all.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could it be BL just wanted to hold her hands -

When a touch means molest​

Hold My Hand by Lim Gee Tiong - Song & Lyrics

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's just some liberal hogwash. Don't worry about it.

In a few days the whole of Singapore will realise that the police were perfectly justified in their actions and life will carry on as if nothing ever happened.

Singaporeans have very short memories. Remember the upsurge of indignation over the Roy Ngerng saga and the flood of donations he received soon after. Well all was forgotten well before the election. :rolleyes: 70% decided that CPF was in perfectly safe hands after all.

I have memory loss after listening to this scrawny girl talks.

PICT0393.jpg

Last edited:

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
From swift police reaction and the numbers of canines its sent,

the complainant and the alleged molest victim could be PAP ft pets

1. ft ah neh
2. ft ah tiong
3. ft ah noy

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Father with dementia, forced to confess to a offence by PAP police

http://tinyurI.com/z7rzjk8

The following experience was submitted to TOC by a member of the public, and as the mentioned case is still under investigation, a couple of details have been omitted for privacy reasons.

L recounts the story of her father who was investigated by the police for an offence he clearly did not commit

The story of 14-year old Benjamin Lim who jumped to his death after unaccompanied police interrogation is the by-product of a relentless abuse of power by the Singapore Police Force that has gone unchecked over the years.

My father has had dementia for the past four years, and he lost his ability to make any sound decisions or engage in any meaningful conversation two years ago. Last August, a huge team of 6 to 7 police officers came down to my house to apprehend my father for a spate of theft cases that have been happening in my neighborhood for the past month.

My family immediately advised the investigating officer that it was not possible for my father to be involved in this crime because of his illness, and he would definitely be unable to answer any of the officer’s questions due to his inability to comprehend any conversation.

However, without explaining the nature of the crime, nor accounting to the family members, the investigating officer brought my dad back to the police station, ignoring our protests and insistence that he was unfit to be kept in detention.

A week after my dad was released, we were still struggling to figure out what was going on. The investigating officer had made no attempt to communicate with the family, despite repeated reminders to the officer that my father had no capacity to be in interrogation and that the officer should be talking to my dad’s immediate family members.

The investigating officer said: “This is all part of protocol.” We later discovered that “protocol” meant that mentally ill patients could be freely interrogated by a group of police officers from 2 pm to 4am, with the police officer repeatedly telling him: “Sign this document, and everything will be alright”. My father was FORCED to sign a statement confessing to the crime before he was allowed to be released on bail. He told us that he spent the entire night shouting “I am innocent” through the bars of the jail cell.

Three months later, a separate investigation led to a thief being apprehended in the neighborhood, and the thief was linked back to my father’s case. A police officer visited us and asked my father, “Why did you confess to a crime which you did not commit?”. My father didn’t respond. He had no idea what the police officer was even saying.

If the real thief had not been apprehended, my father would just be yet another victim of this intolerable abuse of power. Why is the Singapore Police Force allowed to run unchecked when investigating minors and disadvantaged citizens in this society? If this is “protocol”, then perhaps it is time to revisit this “protocol”. How many more “Benjamin Lim” incidents do we need before the Singapore Police Force realizes the need for a change in protocol?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh i so miss the days of infraction where mods can send children to the naughty corner to cool it for 24 hrs. Half this thread is just posts from noisy children fighting out their silly vendettas. :rolleyes:

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tinyurI.com/hjaaad6

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), in its latest statement, calls upon the Singapore Government to fully account to members of the public over the incident involving the death of 14-year-old, Benjamin Lim.

On 26 January, Benjamin was visited by five plain-clothes police officers at school during school hours over an alleged case of molestation. He was then brought to the police station to be interviewed for over 3 hours without the accompaniment of his parents. Soon after reaching home, he locked himself in his room and jumped to his death from the 14th floor of his flat. (read more)

The party statement, penned by Dr. Wong Souk Yee, SDP Chairperson said it would have been common sense for authorities to proceed with caution while dealing with minors and the priority of the school authorities should have been the protection of students’ welfare.

SDP also voiced its concern over the silence of the ministers from the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Home Affairs and said that the ministers should address the situation and see how the matter can be resolved and future incidents prevented.

The statement by SDP in full

The SDP expresses our deepest sympathies to the family of Benjamin Lim. His suicide is a tragedy that could have been avoided.

There is a reason why the law and society treat minors differently from adults: They are presumed to not possess the full maturity in thought and deed as adults. Common sense would have indicated to the authorities to proceed with caution when dealing with minors. Yet, five police officers were dispatched to arrest the boy.

Even if the police were concerned that Benjamin would not be co-operative and could overpower the officers and escape, how far could he have run? And even if he did make a getaway, did the police not have his family, school and classmates that they could contact?

Also of concern is whether the number of officers sent to arrest Benjamin signaled an aggressive police mindset that was carried over into the interrogation room.

School officials must be aware that their duty is, first and foremost, to protect students’ welfare as well as their families’ interests. Doing this would not impede law enforcement officers from carrying out their duty. It would, on the other hand, help to prevent tragedies like Benjamin’s suicide from taking place.

But there is something else that is equally disconcerting. The Ministers for Law, Education, and Home Affairs have kept silent on the matter. Given that a teenager has committed suicide resulting from a series of actions involving the police and the school, it behooves the Ministers to, at the minimum, address the situation and see how the matter can be resolved and future incidents prevented.

Instead of looking into the matter, Todayonline runs a headline saying: “MPs, experts laud police review of interview process involving minors”. Why are MPs and the media not speaking up on investigating the circumstances that led to a 14-year-old committing suicide after police interrogation? Instead, they are lauding the review of a procedure that should not have been in practice in the first place.

In any developed country, the standard operating procedures (SOPs) would require minors to be accompanied by a parent, guardian or lawyer during interrogation. Its SOPs would also require video recordings of all police interrogations. Without these protections of minors’ rights, indeed the rights of all persons under interrogation, we will never know the treatment meted out to Benjamin during the three hours or so in police custody.

The public is upset over this incident and deserves full accounting from the Government.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://tinyurI.com/hjaaad6

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), in its latest statement, calls upon the Singapore Government to fully account to members of the public over the incident involving the death of 14-year-old, Benjamin Lim.

On 26 January, Benjamin was visited by five plain-clothes police officers at school during school hours over an alleged case of molestation. He was then brought to the police station to be interviewed for over 3 hours without the accompaniment of his parents. Soon after reaching home, he locked himself in his room and jumped to his death from the 14th floor of his flat. (read more)

The party statement, penned by Dr. Wong Souk Yee, SDP Chairperson said it would have been common sense for authorities to proceed with caution while dealing with minors and the priority of the school authorities should have been the protection of students’ welfare.

SDP also voiced its concern over the silence of the ministers from the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Home Affairs and said that the ministers should address the situation and see how the matter can be resolved and future incidents prevented.

The statement by SDP in full

The SDP expresses our deepest sympathies to the family of Benjamin Lim. His suicide is a tragedy that could have been avoided.

There is a reason why the law and society treat minors differently from adults: They are presumed to not possess the full maturity in thought and deed as adults. Common sense would have indicated to the authorities to proceed with caution when dealing with minors. Yet, five police officers were dispatched to arrest the boy.

Even if the police were concerned that Benjamin would not be co-operative and could overpower the officers and escape, how far could he have run? And even if he did make a getaway, did the police not have his family, school and classmates that they could contact?

Also of concern is whether the number of officers sent to arrest Benjamin signaled an aggressive police mindset that was carried over into the interrogation room.

School officials must be aware that their duty is, first and foremost, to protect students’ welfare as well as their families’ interests. Doing this would not impede law enforcement officers from carrying out their duty. It would, on the other hand, help to prevent tragedies like Benjamin’s suicide from taking place.

But there is something else that is equally disconcerting. The Ministers for Law, Education, and Home Affairs have kept silent on the matter. Given that a teenager has committed suicide resulting from a series of actions involving the police and the school, it behooves the Ministers to, at the minimum, address the situation and see how the matter can be resolved and future incidents prevented.

Instead of looking into the matter, Todayonline runs a headline saying: “MPs, experts laud police review of interview process involving minors”. Why are MPs and the media not speaking up on investigating the circumstances that led to a 14-year-old committing suicide after police interrogation? Instead, they are lauding the review of a procedure that should not have been in practice in the first place.

In any developed country, the standard operating procedures (SOPs) would require minors to be accompanied by a parent, guardian or lawyer during interrogation. Its SOPs would also require video recordings of all police interrogations. Without these protections of minors’ rights, indeed the rights of all persons under interrogation, we will never know the treatment meted out to Benjamin during the three hours or so in police custody.

The public is upset over this incident and deserves full accounting from the Government.

The fire is getting bigger by the day.

If I were the Minister, I would come out and make a statement quickly.

Last edited:

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many forum are discussing this matter, especially parents with young children.
If the Minister don't make statement even better, that would piss off a lot of concerned people.

As usual the Minister would be informed by their canines that everything is well taken care of.
You can see LHL in traditional costume trying to promote himself oblivious about peoples' grievances.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

you know the whole society is screwed up esp the police and teachers and some civil servants are full of shits and useless. damn useless without commonsense and arrogant and full of shits.
the principals and teachers and MOE are all full of shits, cowards and basically selfish bastards. you know it when for past few years you hear nothing put teachers having sex with students, principals having sex with vendors, principals taking kick backs from vendors, teachers raping students, pedophiles amongst teachers , 1 to 2 cases reported every month fro past few years. for every case reported you know 100 cases goes unreported or undetected.
as for the bastard cops, i warned a few years ago that they full of shits. look at little india and you see cowards when confronted by FT. look at the rogue cop like the Kovan murder cases, useless cops who bungled up a recent rape case by even forgetting to take a DNA sample(IO got scolded by judge),. even CNB director having sex with vendor and got away scot free.
to add insult when 2 stupid policemen rescue a cat from a tree, they splash their faces ALL over the papers and internet as if they saved the whole world, highlight how good looking they are and publish they faces for a few days, how heroic they are in saving a cat(come on, any idiot can climb a tree and rescue a cat).
as for civil servants, all they are good at is taking selfies and criticising others. one even when so far as to call for others to harakiri for a small accounting blunder. how come all these farkers suddenly so quiet???
they only time they open their stinking mouth esp the MOE is to quickly say they follow procedure . Fark them . no common sense. teachers have no Farking common sense.

The Ministry of Education (MOE)hurriedly issued a press statement on last Tuesday that schools in Singapore have the obligation to cooperate with the police and “not stand in the way of law”, .......
This statement from MOE is most uncalled for , unprofessional and very insensitive to issue it given that kid has just passed away a few days earlier and their parents are still in mourning!!
That statement also is high handed and without any legal basis as it means any policeman can make an arrest for even the smallest crime without any arrest warrant or higher supervision. It basically means any damn cop even a small fry can walk into a school without an arrest warrant and says he suspect any kid of molest or shoplifting or any kid he dislike for any reason and effect an arrest on the spot and bundled him for interrogation at police station and the stupid teacher or principal would tell you they cannot do anything??? any cop can do it. so much potential for abuse. no blardy common sense and we are talking about people who are supposedly paid to teach our young ones how to think!!!!!

BTW the police called it interview. Fark them . interview is what you use for a job application. a 3 hours interrogation of a kid without any legal counsel and being deprived of his rights and without food or water or toilet breaks IS CALLED Psychological harrassment or mental TORTURE. DON'T FARKING CALLED IT AN INTERVIEW, THESE POLICE idiots. interview means he can walk out and call his parents or anybody anytime. interview is voluntary. interrogation is NOT.
even interrogation is too mild a word for his case. a 14 year old kid made to answer questions for 3 hours against a professional adult in an alien environment and told he cannot speak to his parents and no legal access. sheesh. even I get scared by it. who knows he might even tell the kid that he cannot go home and can detain him for up to 48 hours until the kid sings what he wants to hear!!!! If I am the kid I would sure say " since you say I am guilty, then so be it" after 3 long hours. It seems to me a statement of resignation of a helpless kid in a hopeless situation that could possible drag on for 48 hours in his mind. The cops even has the gall to say they did no detect any sign of distress inn their statement. you mean they are psychiatrists? even professional experience psychiatrist would tell you they have difficulty predicting which patients are the ones who would jump and kill themselves suddenly , like leslie chung case or robin williams!! most suicidal people look very normal on the outside. in case these stupid cops doesn't know depression is a psychological thing and you cannot see it!!! there is no sign on his forehead to tell people that that he is going to kill himself. stupid statements. how unbelievable.

Only in serious crime can an arrest be made without a warrant i.e. an arrest can be made without the need for a warrant when the police officer . reasonably suspects a man of committing a serious offence. Such offences include rape, robbery, theft, drug consumption or causing serious hurt.
Molest or suspected molest is not classified as an arrestable offence under information provided by the websites .
For non-arrest able offences however, warrants will have to be made out to allow the police to make an arrest. For example, when a police report is made regarding a case of voluntarily causing hurt, the police will conduct investigations first before deciding whether to issue a warrant of arrest.
. An arrest cannot be made without a warrant. Therefore, a police report must first be made before the Magistrate decides whether to issue a warrant for the perpetrator’s arrest.
According to legal laws stated in websites: quote
"Upon arrival at the police station or detention centre, the accused is allowed to consult a lawyer while under police custody within a reasonable time, in accordance with Article 9 of the Constitution
sO THIS BOY WAS DETAIN AGAINST HIS WILL AND PROBABLY MADE TO SIGN A SELF INCRIMINATING statement or staTements taken in the absence of legal guidance which violates his rights .
If I am the father I would demand the MOE officials, principal, counsellor, 5 cops, IO and even the police commisioner step down and negligence charges be brought against tehm for gross and criminal negligence.
In most countries, If a pilot or doctor or engineer or firemen or ship captain grossly neglect to do their duties professionally, resulting in death, they can be charged with criminal negligence.
eg in the Korea Sewol trial case with resulted in death the Ferry captain sentenced to 36 years in jail
same for the costa concordia case 5 seamen were convicted for 2012 shipwreck of Costa Concordia near Italy for negligence. The guilty verdicts for multiple manslaughter and negligence were the first reached in the tragic sinking of the cruise liner that killed 32 crew and passengers.
you have to punish these idiotic people otehrwise anotehr case would happen again .
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/5-convicted-costa-concordia-shipwreck-article-1.1404333
may this boy soul rest in piece. i really feel very sorry for him as society have let him down. reading his father open letter makes my blood boil . and I am very angry as you can see alot of people are tryng to wash their hands and tai chi away the blame now. the very people in whom they are supposed to protect this kid. no wonder he jumped as his world came crashing down as the policemen and teachers whom all along he believed were his protectors turned out otherwise. RIP benjamin. at least you no longer have to face such idiots and hypocrites in the next world.

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you know the whole society is screwed up esp the police and teachers and some civil servants are full of shits and useless.

The chief natural aristocrat's seat will be very shaky if he doesn't pamper the teachers, policemen and civil serpents.

Even 东海龙王 has to give his fishes and prawns some slack. Will 2016 be the year when the fiery 齐天大圣 snatch away his 定海神针 and wreck havoc on the island?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

In a week or so the furore would have died down and in a couple of weeks time all we be forgotten.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In a week or so the furore would have died down and in a couple of weeks time all we be forgotten.

sinkies will be kpkb'ing louder and more pre-occupied with more pressing issues if they don't get their abalone and bak kwa fix and crisp bills for angpows. :p

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
sinkies will be kpkb'ing louder and more pre-occupied with more pressing issues if they don't get their abalone and bak kwa fix and crisp bills for angpows. :p

Yeah remember this :

HLP-26213.jpg

02+May+Day+Protest+2013+-+For+a+Better+Singapore+-+Say+No+to+6.9+Million+%2528Large%2529.JPG

By the time the elections came by, it was but a distant memory.