• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kiwi teenager forced to do Singaporean NS or risk jail time and fines

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a person is not interested in becoming a SG citizen, should he come back to do NS?

A New Zealand teenager born in Singapore has been threatened with jail time and hefty fines unless he returns to the Asian nation to complete two years of national service in the army.

Brandon Smith,19, moved to Dunedin with his family when he was eight years old and holds dual citizenship with New Zealand and Singapore.

But Singaporean authorities are demanding he report for a pre-service medical or face two years in jail, or a S$10,000 (NZ$10,780) fine.

Brandon with his mother Cindy, who was born in Singapore, and his NZ-born father Shane.

Brandon said spending two years doing national service would be difficult and pointless.

"I don't see the point of it, really. It's sort of a waste of time to go there and just come back anyway," he said.

Brandon said he does not speak Chinese, and as a New Zealand citizen he would be treated as an outsider.

After an initial three-month training period in which service personnel are housed and fed, they are then expected to find their own accommodation.

Although they receive a small monthly payment, it would not be enough to cover rent and food, and he would not want to impose on family, he said.

Under Singaporean law, Brandon cannot relinquish his citizenship until he is 21 years old.

An application to defer his national service until the age of 21 has been declined on numerous occasions, despite the Singaporean authorities granting his younger brother Kristen a deferment.

His father, Shane Smith, said after a long battle with bureaucrats in Singapore they have run out of options.

"Obviously for Brandon, it's not what we want. If he doesn't go back to Singapore to serve his NS, then he can never enter Singapore because he runs the risk of being arrested," said Shane.

Shane, a New Zealand-born Kiwi, served in the New Zealand Air Force and married Brandon's mother Cindy , who was born in Singapore but is a permanent resident in New Zealand.

Shane has been corresponding with Singaporean MPs and bureaucrats for years in a desperate bid to help his son avoid conscription.

"Absolutely no one would accommodate us. It was always the same answer; 'we regret to inform you that Brandon has to serve National Service'," he said.

Dunedin South MP Clare Curran said in September last year she appealed to Minister for Foreign Affairs Murray McCully in a letter to help the family.

"We have a 19-year-old who has left school with his life in front of him, he considers himself a New Zealand citizen and has no identification with Singapore and yet he is expected to do a national service," she said.

"I think it's a really good case for New Zealand to be sticking up for its citizens."

In a statement released on Saturday, McCully apologised for the late response to Curran's letter and said he had received it shortly before he took time off work to have major surgery to remove a tumour.

He said that he intended to take the matter up.

"While the Singapore Government is responsible for determining their own citizenship policies, I have considerable sympathy for the situation this family has found themselves in," he said.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
His parents thought they were smart. Get his dual citizenship, skip NS and get a better passport than NZ's. Have the best of both worlds without any liability.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I speculate that one of the possible reasons and considerations is that the said individual was born in Singapore.
If he was born in NZ, and his mother applied for him to be a SG citizen, I believe that the Sg government and/or MINDEF would be more likely to grant him a deferment from NS until he is age 21,
which at that time, he will probably renounce his SG citizenship.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
His parents thought they were smart. Get his dual citizenship, skip NS and get a better passport than NZ's. Have the best of both worlds without any liability.

whats so valuable about our passport?200 thousand trash received our passe porte last g.e.,it is worthless than toilet paper.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I believe that if he skips NS, he has to renounce his SG citizenship at age 21.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that if he skips NS, he has to renounce his SG citizenship at age 21.

Not too sure.
But even if he renounce at 21, I think if he enter SG, he'll still gets fine and jail.
Anyway, the article if I understand correctly, he does not intend to be a SG citizen.
So, why not let him renounce earlier, be it Singaporean or foreigner.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hope that they allow him to renouce SG citizenship now,
and avoid further stress and strain.
What is the SG government going to gain by "maintaining is principle"

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If this fucking kiwi wants to avoid doing NS, can Singapore get Interpol's help to nab this traitor?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
all these foreign trash are the same,when they want the citizenship,they say they identify with singapore,they love singapore,they are 100 percent true blue sinkies......when they dont want citizenship,hundred and one excuses,cannot identify with the country,cannot speak chinese wtf,all sinkies know how to speak english???

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sg passport IS NOT better than NZ passport.. Dun try to PAP your bullshit here.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The new Zealand first world ang Moh should know that this sort of baggage and unnecessary liability will surface when he married a sinkie woman.

I suggest his son give up on sg and stay being a NZ citizen.. Nothing to be missed anyway.. Let me suggest Thailand and even Malaysia..

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Not too sure.
But even if he renounce at 21, I think if he enter SG, he'll still gets fine and jail.
Anyway, the article if I understand correctly, he does not intend to be a SG citizen.

Sounds like the parents was benefiting from both countries and was probably waiting for something

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not too sure.

The shit was born in sinki land, gone to school in sinki land, enjoyed all the perks, benefits and privileges of a local born sinki and then scooted from sinki land at age 8 (or is it really 8?).

Dumb pappies, not so dumb this time, demanded that the shit should return to do NS. After NS, he can FO to New Zealand and give up shitizenship. Pappies do not allow dual shitizenship except in certain special cases as claimed by forumers here.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like the parents was benefiting from both countries and was probably waiting for something

Mother is a sinki and father is a Kiw, both hoping to have their legs on NZ and Sinki land at the same time. Foreigners are getting smarter but pappies are still catching up.