• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I envy Cantonese . Why are Cantonese so lucky and priveledged ?

HonkieSingie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Growing up I used to think I was Cantonese but sadly I'm not as I recently found out :( My father is a Teochew Hong Konger and my mother is Hoklo Singaporean. I can speak Cantonese but not Teochew. I had watch cantonese dramas, TV, movies all my life. I chat and write in Cantonese. I listen to Cantonese, English, Japanese music but never Teochew music. I had never watched anything in Teochew. I'm a truely Cantonized Teochew Hong Konger.

Cantonese have huge media success, with large international exposure and reconigtion on te world. They have their own official status in Hong Kong, Macau every since they migrated to those region from Guangzhou and parts of western Guangdong. They have their own movies, TV shows, dramas, music, cinema, video games. Their cultural and linguistic impact is extremely significant in Asia and during the 70's to 90's when it reached it's Golden age in Asia. While Hoklo Hakka was also one of indigenous groups of Hong Kong but they have literally 0% linguistic reconigtion.

keep-calm-and-promote-dialect-equality-1.png

If you speak Mandarin in other Asian countries, people would just assume you come a 3rd world China. If you speak Cantonese at least people will treat you with some distinctiveness, at least in most of Southeast Asia and Japan, Korea, Taiwan they would just assume you come from Hong Kong. If you a English speaking Singaporean people would just assume you're a Asian/Chinaman speaking in English. And if you speak other dialect, you're a isolated sub-group who no one knows about.

No matter how hard a Teochew, Hakka, Wu , Gan, Xiang, Jin speaker does.... they will never have the same privledges.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cantonese got hk and Macao....
Hokkien got Taiwan.....
Even the lingua franca of the world's Chinatowns is Cantonese.....
The rest of the dialects can fuck off back to their kampongs in china

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
here is a nice teochew song for you. I thought Li Kah Sin is Teochew as well ?

[video=youtube;ZGgFFFTIV10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgFFFTIV10[/video]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Growing up I used to think I was Cantonese but sadly I'm not as I recently found out :( My father is a Teochew Hong Konger and my mother is Hoklo Singaporean. I can speak Cantonese but not Teochew. I had watch cantonese dramas, TV, movies all my life. I chat and write in Cantonese. I listen to Cantonese, English, Japanese music but never Teochew music. I had never watched anything in Teochew. I'm a truely Cantonized Teochew Hong Konger.

Cantonese have huge media success, with large international exposure and reconigtion on te world. They have their own official status in Hong Kong, Macau every since they migrated to those region from Guangzhou and parts of western Guangdong. They have their own movies, TV shows, dramas, music, cinema, video games. Their cultural and linguistic impact is extremely significant in Asia and during the 70's to 90's when it reached it's Golden age in Asia. While Hoklo Hakka was also one of indigenous groups of Hong Kong but they have literally 0% linguistic reconigtion.

keep-calm-and-promote-dialect-equality-1.png

If you speak Mandarin in other Asian countries, people would just assume you come a 3rd world China. If you speak Cantonese at least people will treat you with some distinctiveness, at least in most of Southeast Asia and Japan, Korea, Taiwan they would just assume you come from Hong Kong. If you a English speaking Singaporean people would just assume you're a Asian/Chinaman speaking in English. And if you speak other dialect, you're a isolated sub-group who no one knows about.

No matter how hard a Teochew, Hakka, Wu , Gan, Xiang, Jin speaker does.... they will never have the same privledges.

Cantonese got balls, you got one?

when you got balls, you got status, your got your own movies, your own culture.

balls means you fuck the govt and bring it down when you dun like it, then you can have your own status.. get it???

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hokkien got Taiwan.....

No use. We Hakkas in Singapore even got our own army and UN recognition. Best of the best win all other places hands down.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By simply confessing that "Wah buay hiao ta Teo Chew wei", I was able to establish rapport and win business from my comrade ........

[video=youtube;hGUgNaWRhnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGUgNaWRhnE[/video]

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.. confessing that "Wah buay hiao ta Teo Chew wei", I was able to establish rapport and win business from my comrade
Could have sniggered, "pak see boh siang kan", or proverbial "kah chng ang ang" :p

...We Hakkas in Singapore even got our own army and UN recognition. Best of the best win all other places hands down.
Not "guests"?:cool:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pretty Teochew ah niah! :biggrin:

[video=youtube;MktKBVHmOVk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MktKBVHmOVk[/video]

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Orly?
My belief is you who make yourself proud regardless what races, nationalities, dialects.
Not the races, nationalities, dialects who make you.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This video is one of my favorites. It is a Cantonese song about the Teochew people.

葉振棠 - 我來自潮洲 - 勝利雙手創

[video=youtube;YaKI33W75Yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKI33W75Yg[/video]

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hokkien got Taiwan.....

Yes Cantonese is the most superior amongst all the chinese languages. Mandarin is nothing but a bastardised Manchurian language tat was enforced by the Manchu rulers. So when ass hole ah tiongs say mandarin is the chinese language i cant help wonder on their ignorance...but in future Cantonese will die out due to ah tiong dominance. Sad but true.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cantonese got balls!

[video=youtube;SW_2_9yhb70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW_2_9yhb70[/video]