• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Taiwan] Too simplistic to equate being pro-China to economic prosperity

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Geraldine Phneah

There are many Singaporeans who believe that the Taiwan election results will cause the country to be badly affected because the new president is not as pro-China.

Some comments are along the lines of how "Taiwan should be 'pragmatic' and have more pro China policies like Singapore" and how "Taiwan is so small like Singapore and can't survive alone!" -.-"

It is simplistic to equate being pro-China to economic prosperity for everyone. Statistics have shown otherwise.

Taiwan’s economy grew by a meagre 1% last year despite 馬英九’s guarantees that his pro-China policies would deliver real benefits to the 23 million citizens of Taiwan. Ma also promised 6, 3, 3: 6% growth, 3% unemployment and $30,000 per capita income but this never materialised. Instead, real income has declined and social inequality has worsened in the past decade.

In fact, during this election, both major parties 國民黨 and 民主進步黨 agreed that the Taiwanese economy has become too dependent on China, and needs to diversify.

Perhaps the rich and businesses may benefit but it is naive to think that these will all translate into benefits for the ordinary citizens as well. Read: http://qz.com/429487/a-new-imf-study-debunks-trickle-down-economics/

On the side note, I wish to express how impressed I am by the young people in Taiwan who have always been so active in participating in public affairs and monitoring the government. I wish more young people I Singapore could be like that too instead of only being concerned with themselves; pop culture; cafe hopping etc.

Rising youth political engagement is what sets Taiwan apart from other democracies in Asia and I hope we can follow in their footsteps
smile emoticon

加油台灣!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
China today is no longer the elixir to a prosperous world economy. Its economy itself is also slowing and real wages are ever rising. Neighboring countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, etc, are eagerly opening up their economies and thus offering viable alternatives for the world's manufacturers. Wages in Indonesia are also cheaper than in China.

A Taiwan without the support of China will not collapse. Yes, its GDP may slow down in the initial years, but definitely not to the extend of causing political and economic chaos for the islanders. The Taiwanese, like the Japanese, are born to be self-reliant and will pick up again within a short time. One must remember that the world is not made up of only China, not to mention also that this commie country is becoming more of a big bully to its Asian neighbors, from India to Japan. Because of the fucking China, an arms race is now building up by countries in this region, which is totally unnecessary if not for all those fucking unilateral decisions always made by China. This fucking commie country has no real regards nor concern for a harmonious and peaceful Asia.

A Chink had once told me: "We have been bullied for such a long time, so it's now our turn to bully others". How can one ever trusts such people with this kind of mentality?

Last edited:

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who the fuck commented taiwan is so small like sinkapore?:biggrin:
We are talking about taiwan not taipei.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Who the fuck commented taiwan is so small like sinkapore?:biggrin:
We are talking about taiwan not taipei.

They have a history that stretches back to the Qing Dynasty, to their founding father of Chung Hwa Ming Guo, then to the Japanese Rule of Taiwan till the end of WWII. We only have history going back to Lee Kuan Yew founding of The Republic Of Singapore ( aka China III ha ha ha)....what the younger generation know??:p

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
The orang Asli and Japanese taught Taiwan Chinese " sopan santun" and " adat". That is why they think so differently than china PRC Chinese.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's too simple to equate economic prosperity with PRO CHINA. My pastor always say that Good leadership of a country is very important. You open up your country to China, the people will behind poorer. That's a fact.

istana_pest

Alfrescian
Loyal
Immediately after rigging in a DPP Lesbian LCB the heaven gave Coldest Weather and SNOW On The Way!

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/吳德榮-入冬最強冷空氣-高山有機會下雪-035647811.html

吳德榮:入冬最強冷空氣 高山有機會下雪

-A
+A

中央社中央社 – 2016年1月18日 上午11:56

(中央社記者陳葦庭台北18日電)今年首波寒流將在週六揮軍南下,中央大學大氣系副教授吳德榮表示,這將是入冬以來最強冷空氣,溫度和水氣條件有利高山下雪。

寒流將在週六報到,中央氣象局預測台北市低溫將下探攝氏8度,沿海空曠地區低溫有機會出現7度低溫,就連中南部低溫也只有9到10度,適逢大學學測,提醒民眾和考生一定要注意保暖。

針對有人預言週末北市低溫探3至4度,吳德榮表示,電腦數值每天都在變化,現在談預測溫度都會有誤差,因此只要提醒民眾,將有寒流報到,得先做好準備即可,至於低溫是幾度,應等時間接近再說。

他說,從去年入冬以來,只有一次強烈大陸冷氣團報到,其他都是大陸冷氣團和東北季風,因此這波冷空氣可說是入冬以來最強冷空氣,溫度和濕度等條件都符合的話,週六高山地區將有機會下雪。

他補充,這波寒流將由濕轉乾,前期濕濕冷冷,後期則轉為乾冷的天氣型態,提醒民眾注意保暖。1050118

Last edited: