• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dont migrate to Canada, it could become Zimbabwe..LOL

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Investment dollars are leaving and they aint coming back. And now Queen Notley making U turn...supporting pipelines, royalty review must not hurt corporate bottom line etc.
Comparing Alberta with Norway??. Please tell us how much Alberta sent to Ottawa to support those eastern bums, esp Quebec for the last 40 odd years. Please tell us how much Norway sent to Brussels to support the southern bums??

And don't blame the NDP for the failures of the CON government in Alberta. Alberta has a Heritage Fund that was supposed to be like the Norwegian sovereign fund. The former has accumulated little while the latter has made every Norwegian a millionaire.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah Lion .It's going to get worse. Usually takes some 18 months to 2 years before full impact is felt. Once EI and savings runs out. Several Vietnamese co workers telling me their friends kena chow yeow yee between Jan 4 and 8. Also, since lat year, many Albertans are on work sharing program.... work 3 or 4 days and the other 1 or 2 days on EI. Once the EI money runs out, that;s when the axe comes out

I was shocked to hear that despite the troubles in Alberta, the unemployment rate here is 7% which is the same as in Ontario for god knows how many years! Geez Ontario must be the shits.

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pleae lah. Jean had to slay the deficit. Remember New Zealand in the mid 90s??? Did you intentionally left papa Trudeau out??? The mid 80s was terrible eh??? Ontario and Quebec were the rust belt.
Are you going to blame 2008 crisis on Harper?? Didnt the Libs and NDP demanded Harper spent or they would bring the govt down??? Didnt Harper had a minority govt t that time??

It was a Liberal government under Jean Chrieten that slayed the deficit that was created by a CON government led by Brian Mulroney. Disputing that?
It was a Liberal government under Paul Martin that handed a government with surplus to Harper. And Harper blew it all by giving $60 billion in corporate tax cuts. It

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite all the so called 'problems', Canada will still remain a long time around when SINGAPORE is HABIS after the 70% wake up one day to a KAPUT state!

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Despite all the so called 'problems', Canada will still remain a long time around when SINGAPORE is HABIS after the 70% wake up one day to a KAPUT state!

Some 25 years ago, after being in Canada for more than 5 years, during one of my visits to Singapore, an old friend from Raffles Hall (SU), told me the above (minus the 70% part).
His rationale was "Singapore is like a fly wheel, spinning very fast (its economy is growing rapidly and the residents are becoming financially wealthy), but Canada will be around for a very long time inspite of the slow economic growth).

mayliewwan

Alfrescian
Loyal
But didnt Grant Devine doing what you will approve...spend spend spend trying to stimulate the economy and failed. Isnt the Liberals trying to do what Grant Devine did... spent spent spent
Yes Roy Romanov balanced the budget Let see Roy was Premier from 91 to 01. New Zealand mid 90s crisis ring a bell??? He balanced the buget via slash and burn and raise taxes. How many companies and people fled to Alberta during his reign???

Sasketchewan was a basketcase until the NDP took over and balanced the budget. Then Brad Wall took over. Credit is due to the progressive parties, not to right-wingers.

[/QUOTE]

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some 25 years ago, after being in Canada for more than 5 years, during one of my visits to Singapore, an old friend from Raffles Hall (SU), told me the above (minus the 70% part).
His rationale was "Singapore is like a fly wheel, spinning very fast (its economy is growing rapidly and the residents are becoming financially wealthy), but Canada will be around for a very long time inspite of the slow economic growth).

Deep down in their hearts, those SINKIE stayers (GCT termed as Bah Si Buay Chao) know that in the long run SINGAPORE is FINISHED, KAPUT despite all that glossy outward 'success' facade. They are however in a state of total denial (cannot handle the truth) and try to put up a BRAVE FACE when told how their friends who have emigrated to other 1st world countries are doing well.

Why do you think there is so much anger and rage on the roads (road bullies) and in the home (maid abuse)? There is a sense of despair and disappointment amongst the SINKIES that leads to a venting of their anger on others.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deep down in their hearts, those SINKIE stayers (GCT termed as Bah Si Buay Chao) know that in the long run SINGAPORE is FINISHED, KAPUT despite all that glossy outward 'success' facade. They are however in a state of total denial (cannot handle the truth) and try to put up a BRAVE FACE when told how their friends who have emigrated to other 1st world countries are doing well.

Why do you think there is so much anger and rage on the roads (road bullies) and in the home (maid abuse)? There is a sense of despair and disappointment amongst the SINKIES that leads to a venting of their anger on others.

It is true. I pek chae all the time. I bang my horn at the slightest excuse. Day in, day out, work like dog. For what? All my money goes to pay the salaries of the PM and his ministars. My CPF becomes their OTM to play, play. I don't even know if I will get my hand on it. It is a matter of time before they raise the minimum sum to 1 million dollars which then means you will never see your CPF money again except for the small amount they dole out to you.
Life sucks in sinkapore.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well said.
And the perception that many sinkies are doing well.....there are many poor souls slogging it out to make ends meet.....those looking well to do are also highly geared. Imagine a murder case over $10.....many are living from hand to mouth.
I want to be around when this time bomb explode in pappies fuckfaces

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Winnipegjets. I did read that article on CBC news. Hindsight is 20/20. I do recall Dalton Mcguinty blaming Alberta for Ontario's woes back when oil was $100 a barrel. Well, was Alberta to blame for $100 oil? A plan to build Canada as an energy superpower when oil was $100 seemed plausible of course. What should have we have done? Dismantle the Alberta Oil Industry?
McGuinty wasn't blaming Alberta - the right-wing press always like to play up the East vs West conflict - but rather at Harper. Alberta is not responsible for $100 oil but unfettered development of the tarsands does not benefit Alberta or the country in the long run. The Harper government could have done some to pace the development.
Oil will get depleted ...and a paced development process would have ensure that the CAD not go sky high. Also, wages and development cost would not have jumped as much. Royalties could have been raised and the money go into the Heritage Fund. Subsidies and tax breaks could have been eliminated for a hugely profitable oil companies.

Anyway, I am sure oil will come back again. It is a matter of when and not if. The big if is whether there will still be a oil industry here in Alberta and how long this slump will last for. Oil will still be around. It is just that there might be consolidation in the industry. Big players become bigger after eating up smaller players.
Totally agree that oil will come back. It is just how long and how many people will have to suffer. Government tries to manage the economy without going to extreme - high growth and recession. Not under Harper ...he bet everything on oil. Is that not stupidity? Would you invest everything you have in oil companies?

Being in Canada I do not worry as much with the economic downturn compared to living in Singapore. Trust me if the Singapore currency fell the way the loonie has, it means the end of Singapore for sure.
The Canadian dollar is falling because it is tied so closely to oil and also that the BOC does not intervene to support the dollar. Sinkapore MAS intervenes all the time ...and remember that SGD is pegged to USD within a range; that's why SGD is stronger the CAD right now.

Canada is a big tanker caught in a huge storm now. It has stopped. It can't move. Singapore is the high class, sophisticated highly mobile yacht that tries to sail its way to avoid storms. But if it ever got caught in one it would sink.

Canada has weathered the Great Depression and so many bust. Sinkapore has weathered nothing.

I have had my blessings and I am thankful for them. The timing has been good for me thus far.
And I hope you develop a new appreciation for life, the Canadian way, not the Albertan way.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Totally agree that oil will come back. It is just how long and how many people will have to suffer. Government tries to manage the economy without going to extreme - high growth and recession. Not under Harper ...he bet everything on oil. Is that not stupidity? Would you invest everything you have in oil companies?

The Canadian dollar is falling because it is tied so closely to oil and also that the BOC does not intervene to support the dollar. Sinkapore MAS intervenes all the time ...and remember that SGD is pegged to USD within a range; that's why SGD is stronger the CAD right now.

Canada has weathered the Great Depression and so many bust. Sinkapore has weathered nothing.

And I hope you develop a new appreciation for life, the Canadian way, not the Albertan way.

With oil doing well I would have. In fact I did (not in buying oil company stocks, but in moving to Alberta). I doubt I would be in my current position had we moved to another province besides Saskatchewan. We all have to make decisions and live by them. Hindsight is 20/20 as I always say. So what would you invest in now? Easy to say when the bubble bursts. It ain't easy for sure. I did have to make a choice 2 years ago. Give up my oil and gas job and go back to medicine? I chose to expand my options. Hindsight shows it was a good decision of course but it was hard to give up a high paying cushy job for a tough one with a big paycut then. But overall having an array of options is always better. So let's see how Trudeau "diversifies" the Canadian economy. I hope they do so. I also hope the NDP helps do that for Alberta too.

Yes the SGD is artificially propped up. But SGD needs to be propped up otherwise hyperinflation will cripple Singapore. Wonder how much this all costs MAS?

To be honest, besides Alberta and BC I have not set foot anywhere else in Canada. It has been 5.5 years hard work to get into a financial position to be able to do so. Hopefully we will be visiting Niagra Falls, Toronto, Quebec and other places in Eastern Canada this summer. It will be an eye opening experience I am sure.

I have noticed distinct differences in the way people drive and their general attitudes even between the cities of Edmonton and Calgary. I first landed in Edmonton and have embraced much of the polite and warm attitudes I experience during my 3 years there. I have to say I do not like the attitudes in Calgary. But I would say they are still not as bad as that of those in Vancouver. Deep down I am an Edmontonian. Currently living in Calgary but will never call myself a Calgarian.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
avalanche alert in the rockies and sierra. ski instructor went missing. :eek:

I love skiing. It is probably the best thing about being in Alberta. We are season pass holders at Lake Louise and go there every weekend. Black diamonds are too easy now. Just signed the kids up for double black free rider program. Also signed my wife and myself for the parent double black program too. Avalanche alert in USA Rockies? Don't hear anything here in Alberta.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I love skiing. It is probably the best thing about being in Alberta. We are season pass holders at Lake Louise and go there every weekend. Black diamonds are too easy now. Just signed the kids up for double black free rider program. Also signed my wife and myself for the parent double black program too. Avalanche alert in USA Rockies? Don't hear anything here in Alberta.

at the sierra nevada where sugar bowl is (near lake tahoe)....

http://m.kcra.com/news/search-underway-at-sugar-bowl-for-missing-ski-instructor/37465118

avalanche alerts here......3 considerable for slopes with inclines greater than 30 degree as of today.

http://sierraavalanchecenter.org

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Probably went to the back country to ski. If you stay on piste the risk of avalanche is very very low. It is something we have considered before learning to ski double black runs. Will the desire to ski take us to the back country? But we realized probably not because we aren't too keen on hiking around with our skis.

Hope they find the guy.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Probably went to the back country to ski. If you stay on piste the risk of avalanche is very very low. It is something we have considered before learning to ski double black runs. Will the desire to ski take us to the back country? But we realized probably not because we aren't too keen on hiking around with our skis.

Hope they find the guy.

these are stuffs that sinkies who are stuck in their comfortable cocoons in sg will never grasp.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
these are stuffs that sinkies who are stuck in their comfortable cocoons in sg will never grasp.

Have heard that many well to do Singaporeans are "taking up skiing" in Korea and Japan. In order to book accommodation for Hokkaido during the Xmas period I was told I would have to book now because all the Singaporeans book this early. Apparently Hokkaido is crawling with Singaporeans during December.

Have you skied in Japan? What are the runs like? Will try to avoid Japan and Korea during Singapore school holiday period.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Have heard that many well to do Singaporeans are "taking up skiing" in Korea and Japan. In order to book accommodation for Hokkaido during the Xmas period I was told I would have to book now because all the Singaporeans book this early. Apparently Hokkaido is crawling with Singaporeans during December.

Have you skied in Japan? What are the runs like? Will try to avoid Japan and Korea during Singapore school holiday period.

i've not skied in japan nor korea. i assume it's crawling with people on all slopes and is more controlled and guarded to keep skiers within bounds. the scenes in banff, alps and tahoe are more breathtaking and slopes more varied and numerous than those in asia. for sinkie heartlanders who eek out a living with no means to holiday in at the very least asia to try out skiing i would encourage them to make that a goal on the bucket list. :p

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is canadian maple syrup still at below market price?do canadians eat maple syrup three meals a day?can anyone send me some canadian bacon and a bottle of maple syrup.