• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Should we say grace before a meal.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most Christians will say grace before eating. Generally, they will thank God for the food they are about to eat.

However, if we are to credit God for the food we eat, then should we not blame him for failing to provide food for the millions who are hungry daily?

Further, Genesis 3:19 - God had said that we will only eat our food through the sweat of our face. In other words, God is not going to put food on our table. We will have to sweat for it. So why thank God for the food? He has nothing to do with it.

What is position, after thanking him for the food, and eating it and getting diarrhea? Are we thanking him for the diarrhea?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If we were farmers, or fishermen, it would be more relevant, for thank to God (and the spirits) who give us good and fair weather. In our modern day city-lifestyles, we do not bother about the natural forces that will determine whether we have a good harvest or not. Instead, we look at what Science is able to make possible a good life for us.

In any case, it is nice, and humble to take note that there are billions of others in the world who do not have the good fortune that we have. The abundance in quantity and variety, and the safety in which we can enjoy these bounties. For this, we should at least be grateful, and thankful, to be in. Saying grace is a way of reminding us of this, that many others the world over do not have such luxuries. It isn't just the Christian way, it is the humane, and civilized way.

Cheers!

Most Christians will say grace before eating. Generally, they will thank God for the food they are about to eat.

However, if we are to credit God for the food we eat, then should we not blame him for failing to provide food for the millions who are hungry daily?

Further, Genesis 3:19 - God had said that we will only eat our food through the sweat of our face. In other words, God is not going to put food on our table. We will have to sweat for it. So why thank God for the food? He has nothing to do with it.

What is position, after thanking him for the food, and eating it and getting diarrhea? Are we thanking him for the diarrhea?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If we were farmers, or fishermen, it would be more relevant, for thank to God (and the spirits) who give us good and fair weather. In our modern day city-lifestyles, we do not bother about the natural forces that will determine whether we have a good harvest or not. Instead, we look at what Science is able to make possible a good life for us.

In any case, it is nice, and humble to take note that there are billions of others in the world who do not have the good fortune that we have. The abundance in quantity and variety, and the safety in which we can enjoy these bounties. For this, we should at least be grateful, and thankful, to be in. Saying grace is a way of reminding us of this, that many others the world over do not have such luxuries. It isn't just the Christian way, it is the humane, and civilized way.

Cheers!

I thought saying grace is about praising the invisible man for the things he didn't do?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I ain't no Christian, but me wife, she's catholic and she recites a prayer most times before each meal, in it, she gives thanks for what is laid in front of her. If I were to pray, it'd be for good food and low price tag! And lots of booze!

Cheers!

I thought saying grace is about praising the invisible man for the things he didn't do?

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal

We thanked the invisible one for each day that we are living. Saying grace for the food is to equally thank the most invisible one for continuing to further sustain us. Our lives is not our own.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
We thanked the invisible one for each day that we are living. Saying grace for the food is to equally thank the most invisible one for continuing to further sustain us. Our lives is not our own.

..and I bet that many have also pray for peace, food and safety in Iraq, Syria and Afgan but they are getting the opposite everyday...so is their invisible one powerful or not....or is there really one ?....sighhh

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
..and I bet that many have also pray for peace, food and safety in Iraq, Syria and Afgan but they are getting the opposite everyday...so is their invisible one powerful or not....or is there really one ?....sighhh

Yes there is this Most Invisible One called God. There is also another invisible one who is the Devil. This invisible Devil wants to be as invincible as the Almighty One.

The Devil creates havoc on earth every day and blame this on God the Almighty One. Now you understand why there are sufferings and famine on earth? The Devil continues to wreck havoc and getting away with it. God the Almighty One will punish this devil for causing all the havoc on His beloved people. No doubt not all the people are Christians. For they too must go thru this sufferings and pain.

This is one reason why Christians pray and give grace to the Almighty One for each day they are living.

Last edited: