• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cronyism King : Gary Neville's Valencia appointment down to merit - not friendship

jw5

Loyal
Re: Cronyism King : Gary Neville's Valencia appointment down to merit - not friendshi

Valencia have a great chance to win their first domestic league match under Gary Neville when they take on Real Madrid later! :biggrin:

Valencia under Gary still winless in the domestic league :rolleyes:

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Cronyism King : Gary Neville's Valencia appointment down to merit - not friendshi

Gary Neville admits knowing Peter Lim is an advantage at Valencia

gary-neville-cropped_zclq8ecjt6tx15sz8h69x2pl8.jpg

By Joe Wright
Jan 3, 2016 13:31:54

The 40-year-old benefits from having honest conversations with the Singaporean, and says overcoming the language barrier at the club is the biggest challenge

Valencia coach Gary Neville has confessed that being on personal terms with club owner Peter Lim is an advantage on the eve of his side facing Real Madrid.

The former Manchester United captain was installed at the helm of the Mestalla club last month by the Singaporean, who is also a joint business partner at Salford City.

Lim has constantly reiterated that Neville had been appointed based on merit and not friendship.

And though the latter did not disagree, he did admit that being on talking terms with the owner did come with the advantage of maintaining a dialogue.

"It is uncertain, but it would be if I were given a five-year contract," Neville told Sky Sports regarding his six-month contract to lead the team.

"I'm quite relaxed about it. It's a club that's had 15 managers in 14 years, they've had turmoil after turmoil with managers.

"A six-month contract doesn't mean you're out of a job in six months. The fact that I know the owners, I can have an honest conversation with them is a good thing. That's what made it attractive: it's a big club, but I know the owners.

"Even though it's a risk, I think it'd be a bigger risk not doing it, looking back and thinking did I miss the chance to go and coach in this league."

The 40-year-old has so far endured a difficult spell in charge, failing to win a single La Liga match in charge and slumping to his first league defeat against Villarreal on Thursday that left los Che languishing 11th in the table.

And Neville has come out to acknowledge the language barrier has made dressing-room discussions difficult, as the necessity of a translator means he cannot inspire the reaction he wants from his players.

"The most frustrating thing, without a shadow of a doubt, is having to communicate through a translator," he continued.

"The [pre-match] team talk is well prepared, so it's fine, but half-time is frustrating. You want people to react off you and it can't happen.

"I'm trying to make sure I speak to every player equally and not just more to the ones who speak English."

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Valencia have a great chance to win their first domestic league match under Gary Neville when they take on Real Madrid later! :biggrin:

still winless :biggrin:

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Could have won if Negredo had not missed a last minute sitter. But did not. :biggrin:

"Could have, should have...", only losers utter these words.:rolleyes: Anyway they should have lost at Eibar but got away with a draw. I stick to my LOLOLOL when Neville was appointed.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fuck i thought real can humiliate valencia with few goals, end of day real make valencia look good. Wtf

Think again whole season winless look nice tho. Haha:biggrin:

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

haha down to merit? a rookie, lack of knowledge of spanish football and language. good job sociedad.:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal

Luckily for Real Sociedad, they sacked David Moyes before they played Gary Neville's Valencia. :biggrin:

haha down to merit? a rookie, lack of knowledge of spanish football and language. good job sociedad.:biggrin:

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Luckily for Real Sociedad, they sacked David Moyes before they played Gary Neville's Valencia. :biggrin:

Their lose-away draw-at-home pattern is relegation form.

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Still winless in La Liga. Did u not cash in? :biggrin:

JurgenKlopp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Their next game is Copa Del Rey. Should be easy for Los Che but easy opponents can tough for a coach with lack of credentials and experience. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Their next game is Copa Del Rey. Should be easy for Los Che but easy opponents can tough for a coach with lack of credentials and experience. :biggrin:

Ignore all leagues. Support our S-League. Support Tampines, support Pennant!

DoNotReply

Alfrescian
Loyal

gary neville is a clown. 6 pts from 9 games and so far no victories. Me thinks he will get sacked before Van Gaal.

what a chump.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Neville's Valencia nightmare goes on… is he simply DOOMED to fail?

2613892_heroa.jpg

By Sam Marsden
Jan 31, 2016 21:00:00

The Manchester United legend has suffered a difficult start to life as head coach at Los Che and now needs to prove why he was the right choice

Gary Neville is finding life on the touchline much harder than he found life in the television studio. During his years with Sky Sports, he brought together football fans who had previously hated on him as a player, with the majority of the footballing world - in England, at least - falling for his analytical skills and his eye for depth within the game which would otherwise go unseen by Joe Public.

However, almost two months into his reign as Valencia boss, he's already feeling the pressure of top-level management. Neville turned down seven jobs - two of which were in the Premier League - before taking over at Mestalla. He'd have been a fool not to expect a challenge in Spain. Outside of the Clasico duopoly, Los Che are one of, if not the country's biggest club. That brings expectation and pressure, though.

A second-half penalty saw Valencia go down to relegation-threatened Sporting Gijon on Sunday. It ended a 22-game unbeaten run at home in the league, stretching back to 2014, leaving them without a victory in 11 La Liga outings. Neville has been in charge for eight of those and he was at a loss to explain how they failed to record a handsome win against the Asturian side.

2613162.jpg

"You cannot explain that game," he said in his post-game press conference. "You cannot explain how it's finished 1-0 against Valencia, we were the better team from the first minute until the last minute. It could have been 5-1."

But Valencia fans are entitled to an explanation when they look over their shoulder and see the relegation zone six points behind them. Meanwhile, looking up, fourth-placed Villarreal are 19 points in front.

After the Sporting loss, a group of fans gathered outside Mestalla and, marshalled by the police, aired their grievances. "We've had it up our balls," was one chant. "Mercenaries," was another. Valencia fans haven't got it in for Neville - not just yet - but they are fed up with a number of things currently going on at the club.

With €140 million spent over the last two years on shiny new players, they're entitled to expect better. However, they're current frustrations are aimed at those signings who are not performing - Alvaro Negredo missed four guilt-edged chances against Sporting - at the men behind the scenes, the men responsible for appointing the club's managers and, lastly, at Neville's unconvincing start.

One journalist suggested, though, that the fans are already completely against Neville. The 40-year-old rejected that claim and, perhaps giving in to a little bit of early pressure, gave a stinging response.

"You're asking me about my position," he said, making it clear he understood the meaning behind the question as it was translated from Spanish to English. "The Valencia fans have a very fine way of telling you about when your position [is under threat], but you didn't see that today.

"I find this question ridiculous. It's from you, don't put this onto the fans. Please don't sit there and put this on the fans, it's a big mistake you're making. You misrepresent what they've shown from the first minute to the last and your job as a reporter - and I've been a reporter - is to represent fairly what happens and, in my opinion, that doesn't represent what has happened among the 30,000 or 40,000 fans there today."

Earlier in the press conference Neville had claimed he's still sleeping at night as the performances have been improving, even if the results have not corresponded and he had come to greet the media following a 15-minute "talk" in the dressing room with his coaching staff and players. Something, clearly, needs to change.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Winless streak in la liga. Good job.
He wont be sacked as season closing soon.
He shd stay on for punters to cash in.:biggrin: