• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTUC Link Card and Passion Card

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh Charlie, you are teasing me :smile:

I have never been to States nor Canada. Not even been to South America too. I am not sure if I can take such long flights, haha. :smile:

Europe, Middle East, and all of Asia, I have been.

I had a previous job opportunity to work in New York, but turned it down due to personal reasons. With hindsight, I should have packed up and gone. My career would have been on a much better footing than now.

u certainly should have packed and gone for good
spare us the torment of having to read about your grandiose life style
which is certainly irrelevant and insignificant hogwash.

Claire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just before Christmas, one of the big grocery store chains, had Omega 3 eggs on sale, $2.45 a dozen.

Claire, did you manage to find Omega 3 eggs in Singapore?

Hello Charlie. I did. But the egg yolks are still not as bright and fresh as I desire them to be. :smile:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
After dinner last night with my folks at Chomps, we hopped over to NTUC Finest nearby. Did groceries shopping and ended up with a huge trolley load of things.

While paying, the cashier asked – “any link card?” Of course I don’t.

Somehow, I just don’t understand all this idea of whatever Link to collect whatever points. It all adds up to cost of goods and does not benefit consumers at all.

All these so-called rebates are all funded by consumer themselves, isn’t it?. You pay $9 membership a month and you shop at NTUC to get points to get rebate. Seriously, a joke, and most importantly, the consumer footing the costs involved for the whole Link point setup – from IT system and staff costs to maintain the Link points infrastructure.

If NTUC is really a cooperative wanting to help Singaporeans, it should just take a nominal 2% marked up after deducting cost of goods and other related costs for selling the goods.

And somehow, I suspect that they are not sourcing the goods from manufacturers and suppliers at the cheapest possible price.

For instance, a Rexona deodorant stick costs $3.40 in NTUC. Beauty Language, a home and personal care shop, sells the same product for $1.90.

Either NTUC is maximising more than 100% profit margin or some dumb idiot in NTUC is sourcing from the wrong supplier.

Similarly, my above comments apply to whatever Passion Card as well.
some items always more there n this means to purchasing old hands something//////////

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a SISEU member, my card is free.
Every year we have one gift.
There are also many privileges as a member.
When I bought Insurance from NTUC I am able to accumulate my link points.
Some years back we were given $300 NTUC vouchers
given by SISEU because of bad economic.
$300 can buy a lot of things from NTUC and collect more points.
Claire, for your status, I don't think you need this type of card.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello Charlie, the height of the yolk is good but I just can't get the bright orange colour yolk.

I get organic eggs from New Zealand. It's not cheap at $10.50 for 10pcs at NTUC. Can get the same brand cheaper at Natures Glory.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kampung eggs from batam are lagi bagus. yolk so yellow they don't need artificial coloring for kueh lapis. :p

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nabei eh cheebye....you sold your soul for a lousy few hundred bucks

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which is precisely my point? No? Fairprice is just not the right instrument for consumer protection.

Case, for whatever case is supposed to protect profiteering and you see what they do after millions of taxpayer's money are pumped int it? There is certainly something wrong in the system of consumer protection here in Singapore.

You hit the nail on the head, Claire. If NTUC is for the members , they should not be pricing above other retailers then giving rebates to members by link cards etc. Members are no better off. This is what happens when governments are involved in business. We see other instances in Singapore.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're not the only one who noticed this. While in Toronto, whenever I had visitors from Singapore, I notice they'd comment that Toronto (or more accurately, GTA) is more expensive that Singapore. While that is true from their experience, that is because they compare with prices for outdoor eating (at restaurants, and tourist locations). But living there, we'd but stuff from Supermarkets, and budget stores home to cook. And this way, it is definitely cheaper than in Singpore. Don't want to go into lots of details, but just one item - rice. It is much cheaper in GTA than in Singapore. BOTH import this product. In Singapore, rice is the main staple. In Canada, although rice is eaten by every community, it is to the Asia ethnic groups that rice is a staple. Away from food, sometimes I wished the blokes in Singapore could walk through a store like Home Depot, and check out the prices of power tools! Circular Saws and Power Drills (of different brands) can be bought for less than 30 bucks!) In Singapore, easily a hundred bucks! And the store probably has only one or two brands! Not much choice.

Anyways, I am a small family here in Singapore and my groceries do not amount to much, so my choice of venue for groceries is not dependant on price, but parking convenience! Which really sucks, mostly.

Cheers!

During my several visits to Singapore, I noticed that many or more of the items at supermarkets there are more expensive than Toronto, even after accounting for the currency difference.
Haagen Daz ice cream in Singapore is exorbitant.
There are several tropical food items that are cheaper in Singapore than Toronto.

A short list of staples in Toronto, all of which may not be cheaper than Singapore:
1. a bag of 4 litres of 2% partly skimmed milk, Cdn$4, but we prefer micro filtered milk which can be $4 to $6 for 4 litres
2. eggs, large, $2.50 to $4.50 a dozen depending whether or not it is on sale
3. bread, whole wheat, $2.50 to $4 for a 675 gm loaf, or freshly baked light rye bread $4 for 900 gm loaf
4. cereals, say Kelloggs corn flakes, $4 for 650 gm box, many other cereals when on sale (different supermarkets have different cereals on sale, so it is easy to buy it on sale to stock up) is much cheaper than Singapore
5. butter, unsalted, $3 to $4 for 454 gm
6. coffee, Nescafe instant, 200 gm $4, a cup of coffee at Starbucks is about $2 or a small cup of artisan coffee at St. Lawrence Market is $1
7. fresh vegeatables is much cheaper during the summer months, but may be close to prices in Singapore during the winter months
8. salmon fillet, fresh, $6 to $14 a pound
9. salmon, fresh smoked $29 to $35 a pound
10. chicken breast, skinless and boneless, $6 to $12 a pound
11. steak, striploin, Angus, AAA, $10 to $20 a pound
12. lamb loin chops, NZ, fresh, $8 to $15 a pound
13. lamb boneless leg, NZ fresh, $8 to $12 a pound
14. potatoes, Yukon Gold yellow flesh, 10 pound bag, $2 to $4
15. rice, Thai fragrant, 8kg bag, $12 to $15 (we may use a cup a week)
16. pasta, dry, 900 gm package, $1 when it is on sale, otherwise about $2, pasta from Italy, $1 to $2 for 500gm
17. pasta sauce, 700 ml, $1 to $3

edited or added items 16 and 17

kanina

Alfrescian
Loyal
kanina
this type of bugger sure die young

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
After dinner last night with my folks at Chomps, we hopped over to NTUC Finest nearby. Did groceries shopping and ended up with a huge trolley load of things.

Somehow, I just don’t understand all this idea of whatever Link to collect whatever points. It all adds up to cost of goods and does not benefit consumers at all.

All these so-called rebates are all funded by consumer themselves, isn’t it?. You pay $9 membership a month and you shop at NTUC to get points to get rebate. Seriously, a joke, and most importantly, the consumer footing the costs involved for the whole Link point setup – from IT system and staff costs to maintain the Link points infrastructure.

If NTUC is really a cooperative wanting to help Singaporeans, it should just take a nominal 2% marked up after deducting cost of goods and other related costs for selling the goods.

And somehow, I suspect that they are not sourcing the goods from manufacturers and suppliers at the cheapest possible price.

For instance, a Rexona deodorant stick costs $3.40 in NTUC. Beauty Language, a home and personal care shop, sells the same product for $1.90.

Either NTUC is maximising more than 100% profit margin or some dumb idiot in NTUC is sourcing from the wrong supplier.

I think NTUC is screwing up their so called members wholesale!!

And all those old uncle and aunties believing that they bought cheapest product from

NTUC!! An example Monday Pioneer day, On Sunday NTUC would increased their prices

So on Monday 3% rebate to Pioneer prices are as good as no discount!! they screwed the

Pioneer wholesale Too!! I would rather shop at Sheng Siong or Giant No frill but lower prices!!

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Sillypore, all the major business are under the GLC umbrella.

Any business that related to daily necessity belongs to the gahbrament and their objectives is mainly to sextisfy the rich and powerful.
If you think NTUC is here to provide the local peasants a much better price in the long run, you guys must be out of touch.

Perhaps during those initial startup days their price is much cheaper when they enter into the market to compete with the local provisioning shops.
But over the years with funding from the gahbrament, they are getting too complacent and their aim is now to suck more of your $$$.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

some items in Fairprice are always higher than other supermarkets........ this suggests that its purchasing is being greased...........