• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SGH Apologizes To Sinkies!! Humbly Begs Sinkies For Another Chance!!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: The CEO of the Singapore General Hospital (SGH) on Tuesday (Dec 8) apologised for lapses at the hospital that resulted in a Hepatitis C outbreak that could have caused up to seven deaths.

Prof Ang Chong Lye said the hospital accepted the findings of an Independent Review Committee released on Tuesday afternoon and said SGH is determined to regain the trust of Singaporeans.

ADVERTISING

SGH's statement is reproduced below:

"SGH has accepted the findings and recommendations of the Independent Review Committee (IRC), appointed by MOH, on the outbreak of hepatitis C virus infection at the Hospital’s renal wards. It has also apologised for the lapses at the hospital, and started on plans to close the gaps identified by the IRC.

Prof Ang Chong Lye, Chief Executive Officer, said: “My colleagues and I deeply regret what happened. I would like to apologise to the patients and their families who have been affected by the outbreak. It has been a hard and humbling lesson but we will learn from this, improve and work tirelessly to ensure that our patients are always safe in our care. We are determined to regain the trust of Singaporeans, whom we have been most privileged to serve.

We thank the Committee for their thorough review. SGH takes a very serious view of what happened and will look into the areas identified by the IRC on top of the enhanced practices and additional measures we have taken since June 2015. Our patients’ safety and well-being are our highest priority.

We have met with all the affected patients and their family members or next-of-kin to provide them our full support. We are grateful for their patience and understanding; and will continue to care for them and assist them with their medical and emotional needs.

There had been concerns from the public on the time we took to announce the cluster of hepatitis C virus infection in our renal wards. SGH has reflected on our response and approach, and acknowledge that we could have done better and escalated the matter earlier to SingHealth and MOH.”

SGH will work closely with the SingHealth Infection Control Audit Taskforce to conduct cross-institution audits to reinforce the standards of infection control practices.

SingHealth, the parent organisation of SGH, has also appointed a Report Implementation Committee to follow up on the IRC recommendations. Both these SingHealth committees are led by Prof Tan Kok Hian, SingHealth Group Director, Academic Medicine and Head and Senior Consultant, Perinatal Audit and Epidemiology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, KKH.

Prof Fong Kok Yong, Chairman, Medical Board, said: “Our top most priority was to ensure that affected patients were given appropriate and timely treatment according to their clinical needs and medical indications. In early June 2015, we reviewed our infection control practices and instituted additional measures. We are thankful that this action was effective in helping to subsequently contain the spread of the infection.

We have learnt from this outbreak that a more robust alert and escalation system at the Hospital has to be in place, with clear definition of roles and individual accountability. SGH will work with MOH to implement the IRC recommendations. We will leave no stone unturned to enhance patient safety, and do all we can to prevent recurrence of such an unfortunate event.”

The immediate task of the SingHealth Report Implementation Committee is to address the recommendations made by the IRC. It will take a proactive audit approach to tighten surveillance and enhance infection control at the affected renal wards. It will also develop and implement the plan for corrective measures as recommended by the IRC and build a robust comprehensive system for infection control.

The Committee will work with MOH to facilitate a cross-institution framework for the detection, investigation and management of uncommon infections. The aim is to implement a sustainable action plan, which will help develop a culture that encourages and enables patient safety – where strict adherence to evidence-based infection control is a way of life and embedded in the DNA of our SingHealth institutions."

The Independent Review Committee said the Hepatitis C cluster was likely caused by infection control breaches, and there were gaps found in the response.

The review committee also recommended measures to improve infection control. Responses to similar incidents were mooted on Friday afternoon as well.

The police on Friday released a statement that they ruled out foul play, after SGH lodged a police report on Oct 20 this year.

In October, SGH announced that 25 patients in its renal ward had contracted the virus. The hospital has screened hundreds of patients and staff following the discovery of the cluster.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sgh-determined-to-regain/2328788.html?cid=fbsg

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What? Nobody resign and nobody get fired? In the end, nobody take responsibility.

In the real private sector, the top honcho will step down or resign.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Ask sinkies for another chance? Sorry hor it should be the other way sinkies should ask SGH for another chance because sinkies got no choice lor.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am disappoint. Should have kept quiet and made money a second time. After all, they must be quite rich to undergo those surgeries in the first place. Hope this will never happen again.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Making money is not a crime when this happens they will standby sg55 pioneerer 2nd chance card

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This is why I respect the Singapore system so much. People take responsibility for their mistakes and nothing is swept under the carpet.

Everything is open and transparent.

That's why I'm always saying that the PAP is the best.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is why I respect the Singapore system so much. People take responsibility for their mistakes and nothing is swept under the carpet.

Everything is open and transparent.

That's why I'm always saying that the PAP is the best.

Anyone can admit failure when there is no repercussion. PAP is a sham.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkies got no balls to sue the hospital? Oh my god!!! I am so fucking right to stay away from sinkies.. Stupid sinkies are a fucking disgrace.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And why is Ivy Ng, SingHealth CE0 and wife of Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen, keeping so quiet?

Why is she not coming out to make a statement and assume full responsibility for the boo-boo instead making the SGH CEO the scapegoat?

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
LUcky in Singapore.Lan lan u can do nothing .IF this happened in USA,they will be sued millions and billions of dollars.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
7 citizens died because of their lapses, how come no press conference to take a deep bow and hara-kiri?? PAP double standards??

Hello Khaw Boon Wan, why so quiet??

untitled.jpg

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LUcky in Singapore.Lan lan u can do nothing .IF this happened in USA,they will be sued millions and billions of dollars.

what do you mean by lucky?

You mean citizens do not have the right to sue the hospital,, what kind of cock shit are you trying to hint at..

It is exactly shits like you that cause citizens to be screwed by such unfairness and injustice.

I want all the family members of all the decease to group together and SUE SGH to pieces...each life lost can account to millions of $.

Not only the decease but also those who has been sick by their lapses in their hospital safety procedure.

Go and Sue the hospital off and make a killing. Let the govt pay you for all the injustice that you suffered.