• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Prices of broadband plans at rock bottom

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Prices of broadband plans have hit rock bottom, with service providers now turning to new payment options and giving out freebies to drive sales.

ViewQwest, for instance, is rolling out Singapore's first prepaid broadband plan at the four-day Sitex trade show, which opened yesterday.

It charges customers an upfront fee of $1,008 to provide its 1Gbps broadband service for two years. This works out to $42 a month, one of the cheapest 1Gbps plans here.

The cheapest 1Gbps plan is offerred by M1 for $39 a month, while MyRepublic is offering two 1Gbps lines for $59.99 a month.

The original price for ViewQwest's 1Gbps plan is $65 a month. Those who do not wish to pay upfront can also pay a discounted monthly rate of $53.50 for this plan as part of its Sitex promotion.

ViewQwest's basic two-year 2Gbps plans are going for an upfront fee of $1,392, which works out to $58 a month - the only 2 Gbps plan here.

If customers terminate the contract, there will be no refund. This is similar to having to pay an early termination fee for breaking the usual monthly-paid two-year mobile or broadband contract.

Mr Mike Ang, president of the Association of Telecommunications Industry of Singapore, said ViewQwest is applying a business practice on consumers.

"In business, we give you 30 days' credit, but if you pay in 10 days you pay 1 per cent less," he said.

Other service providers at Sitex are dangling freebies. StarHub is pushing its 1Gbps broadband plan as part of a two-year multiple-service bundle.

The bundle, dubbed HomeHub 1000, comes with six months of free broadband subscription and Sports Group subscription.

The total package was originally $88.80 a month.

Singtel, too, is pushing a multiple-service package. Those who sign up for its Singtel TV package, which starts at $64.90 a month, get eight months of 1Gbps broadband service (worth $69.90) free.

Meanwhile mobile customers who sign up for M1's 1Gbps plan, priced at $39 a month, will get an additional 1GB of mobile data and $100 off any mobile handset they buy, among other freebies.

Source: ST

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ViewQuest need cash is it? asking people to pay upfront. What happen if they close down?

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rock bottom to me is $5 per month.

Exactly. 100 Mbps BIDIRECTIONAL is $15 in JPN and KOR. It's $7 in Eastern European countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia.

The bidirectionality is important too, assuming we actually do want successful internet business in the PiSai one day.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
./
ViewQuest need cash is it? asking people to pay upfront. What happen if they close down?

The more likely scenario is prices going down.

I currently have a 1GB plan & the next time I recontract it will be on who can give me the cheapest price. I've seen vendor touting 2GB connections speeds, but don't believe the marketing hype.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. 100 Mbps BIDIRECTIONAL is $15 in JPN and KOR. It's $7 in Eastern European countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia.

The bidirectionality is important too, assuming we actually do want successful internet business in the PiSai one day.

I guess everyone (Providers) is trying to defend the price of their subscription as industry as a whole. Therefore, throwing out all the freebies. It's not hard to see this.

Broadband price rock bottom? I don't think so.

Buckethead

Alfrescian
Loyal

No worry it won't close down, just when it have problem later, users have to live with it, they have already collected your money...either wait for solutions or terminate, win win situations for them...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Imagine you pay upfront for a year then 3 months later prices drop some more really bang balls

LedZeppelin

Alfrescian
Loyal
It charges customers an upfront fee of $1,008 to provide its 1Gbps broadband service for two years. This works out to $42 a month, one of the cheapest 1Gbps plans here.

Source: ST

upfront fee knn :rolleyes:

These days, nobody signs plan. prepaid cards, tourist prepaid cards is the way to go.