• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taking a bts and mrt ride in Bangkok feel so first world, unlike Sinkapore.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Is it? You should try driving in JB and see the same thing cars speeding up when you signaled to change lane. And cars driving in emergency lane of express way. Cars not keeping to lanes when driving etc. Driving in Spore is a piece of cake in comparison as most people follow rules.

Why you talking about JB? You Malaysian? I am commenting about poor stock sinkies. Please don't divert the subject.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you talking about JB? You Malaysian? I am commenting about poor stock sinkies. Please don't divert the subject.

I am saying you shouldn't conclude Sporeans are low life based on not giving way to signal change as there is alot of worse off driving habits that Sporeans do not have. Jb is what I am familiar and hence cited as an example.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unless Singapore can reach Japanese standards in train management, you can expect more breakdowns with zero accountability from highly paid CEOs, LTA chiefs, etc.

SMRT will compare themselves against Mudland. By that standard, SMRT is world class.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am saying you shouldn't conclude Sporeans are low life based on not giving way to signal change as there is alot of worse off driving habits that Sporeans do not have. Jb is what I am familiar and hence cited as an example.

For sinkees to look good, we must always compare against the third world ...closest to us is mudland. Is there anything that mudland is better than sinkapore?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
For sinkees to look good, we must always compare against the third world ...closest to us is mudland. Is there anything that mudland is better than sinkapore?

Msians have much higher nationality awareness and therefore more united against foreigners. In the long run, this is very important for country cohesiveness and survival.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Despite the years of social engineering, courtesy campaigns, Asian values education etc etc Singaporeans had actually turned out to be of very poor stock in terms of graciousness to one another. I wonder why what went wrong? Just see how the chop place with a bag of tissue paper I am still very not use to such low life method. Other countries would have graciously given the seat to the first person who's got his or her food. Why do sinkies drive faster to block a person who signaled to change lane I really wonder? This is low life and low stock.

You not see what I wrote? Its not only about driving I quoted more than one example you not see?

Anyway allow me to show you what happened to me on the road yesterday evening:

- caught in a massive jam in Bangkok
- want to demonstrate to you how gracious Bangkokians are when I want to switch 4 lanes in a jam

[video=youtube;kD9U3T8aiog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD9U3T8aiog[/video]

Low life sinkies would never allow me

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
How Hong Kong's MTR sets the gold standard in transportation

BY PAULINE CHIOU
PaulineChiou%28HKB%29.jpg

I've lived in New York, Boston and Houston. For the past five years, Hong Kong has been my home.

All are great cities but when it comes to public transportation, Hong Kong wins the prize hands down. In fact, we've been spoiled here in Hong Kong with MTR trains that are fast, clean and frequent.

I normally don't have to wait more than three minutes for the next train. I recently spoke with the CEO of the MTR Corporation, Jay Walder. He used to lead New York City's subway system and was recruited to head up Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway (MTR) in 2012.

He says, “When I started in this industry, we called it mass transit. Everybody was thought of as one group. Five million people a day [Hong Kong's daily ridership].

What we are now working to say is, ‘How do we go from being one group of five million to saying this is five million individuals?’ ” To answer this question, the MTR has physically woven the rail network into daily life.

Many MTR stops spill out into underground shopping malls attached to office buildings and apartment complexes. So the movement between home, work and leisure often feels seamless.

The MTR has a unique business model. The government owns 77% of the MTR Corporation and gives it special land and development rights. The MTR owns 13 shopping malls and manages others.

The stores pay rent and in some cases, a portion of sales revenues to the MTR. On an even bigger scale, the MTR Corporation is a major property developer. It has developed the four enormous residential compounds along the Airport Express train route.

All of this has made the MTR extremely profitable and one of the few mass transit systems in the world that actually makes money. In 2012, its profits were more than US$ 1.2 billion.

“Capital investment --the ability to continue to invest -- is a critical aspect,” says Walder. “We have the advantage here that we are running on a financially sustainable basis.”

During a recent CNN interview, Walder and I walked out of Kowloon Station together and looked at the real estate surrounding us. The MTR had its hands in developing all of it: Elements Mall (MTR owns it), the apartment complexes (MTR built them, sold off the units but manages the residential buildings), the 118-story ICC skyscraper (MTR developed it but doesn't own it).

“The key is the integration that takes place. We literally think about the railway five, six or seven stories below ground. We're also thinking about what it means above ground,” Walder says.

Hong Kong’s MTR model is catching the eye of other countries. The MTR is currently operating rail lines in mainland China, Australia, the UK and Sweden.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention the best part: the average train fare is about US$1.

The views expressed in this column are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect this publication's view, and this article is not edited by Singapore Business Review. The author was not remunerated for this article.

Just returned from Hong Kong for holiday with my family last night. We took their MTR frequently over the week, it was very good and convenient and cheaper than Singapore. Their trains are wider than Singapore's MRT trains and very frequent, less waiting time and no train delays. Hong Kong island also has the tram system which complements their MTR well, as it means less walking for tourists like us through the city.

But Hong Kong's taxi is becoming more expensive than Singapore, so we've cut down on taking taxis there.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
You not see what I wrote? Its not only about driving I quoted more than one example you not see?

Anyway allow me to show you what happened to me on the road yesterday evening:

- caught in a massive jam in Bangkok
- want to demonstrate to you how gracious Bangkokians are when I want to switch 4 lanes in a jam

[video=youtube;kD9U3T8aiog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD9U3T8aiog[/video]

Low life sinkies would never allow me

I saw the tissue paper example. Never comment as I think it is just one way to reserve seat and nothing so low life about it. In fact, only if the society is orderly then can do this without people taking away the tissue paper and sit down. Having said that, I also not used to this method and never need to do this as just one person can reserve the seats for the rest first. I think not all places and everyone practised this.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I saw the tissue paper example. Never comment as I think it is just one way to reserve seat and nothing so low life about it. In fact, only if the society is orderly then can do this without people taking away the tissue paper and sit down. Having said that, I also not used to this method and never need to do this as just one person can reserve the seats for the rest first. I think not all places and everyone practised this.

Peace my dear. Next time you come LOS observe the civic minded Thais, I wouldn't mind to be your host. Your kids will love my two doggys.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dont take a ride on no bts or mrt,i take a ride on my space corvette.

why dont u take a ride with me on heavy metal?
its the only way you can travel down that road.
baby why dont you ride ride it till it explode.

ppZudrk.jpg

[video=youtube;JNG_Kn-m73M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNG_Kn-m73M[/video]