• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am no lawyer, but I have yet to find or be shown a law that prescribes a penalty for acquiring another citizenship, other than the acquisition of another citizenship giving grounds for the govt to deprive you of your SG citizenship. And even then, the law states that the govt MAY deprive you of your citizenship, implying that it isn't automatic, and the govt actually has discretion to let you keep your SG citizenship.

Now, letting you keep your citizenship is not the same as letting you renew your passport though.

I am also aware of the law that states that SG citizens have to enter SG on a SG passport. I'm not sure what that means if the govt does not renew your passport but does not revoke your citizenship either.

citizen2116

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am trying to renewal my Sg ppt using Apples. There is no column to declare that I am holding a dual citizenship.Any advice how to declareand renewal it as I am overseas.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just go ahead and renew. If you are overseas, you still can use APPLES. Just answer truthfully and if there is no requirement to declare, no need. They might contact you.

citizen2116

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only column in apples says that " I do not hold dual citizenship" which I cannot declare it as I do hold dual. In short, I cant use Apples becos there is no column that I can click to say that I hold dual. Any idea what to do next? Tks SCroobal.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I last saw and there is such a box for you to check. It's near the end where you sign. But answer it truthfully.

I am trying to renewal my Sg ppt using Apples. There is no column to declare that I am holding a dual citizenship.Any advice how to declareand renewal it as I am overseas.

Curiousity

Hi all, any updates on this topic? Has the gov relaxed the rules on this?
Old thread which I came across - more than one decade ago!!

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
If SG gov finds out that you’re holding another citizenship, they will inform you to make a decision: either surrender SG citizenship, or surrender the other citizenship(s). You have to make a decision at that time of course.

There are a few ways they can find out, such as when you travel using both passports (not necessarily at the same time) and the details are logged in ICA system.

If you choose to renew your SG passport (when you already hold another citizenship or passport), it is important that you do NOT lie in your SG passport renewal application form. There is a Yes/No checkbox for the question: “Are you a citizen of another country other than Singapore?”

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If SG gov finds out that you’re holding another citizenship, they will inform you to make a decision: either surrender SG citizenship, or surrender the other citizenship(s). You have to make a decision at that time of course.

There are a few ways they can find out, such as when you travel using both passports (not necessarily at the same time) and the details are logged in ICA system.

If you choose to renew your SG passport (when you already hold another citizenship or passport), it is important that you do NOT lie in your SG passport renewal application form. There is a Yes/No checkbox for the question: “Are you a citizen of another country other than Singapore?”
That very rarely happens and you must be stupid to force their hand like that. The PAP policy is don't ask don't tell. They know exactly who has another citizenship, and even the lowest rank asshole in ICA who stamp your passport also suspects that you have a dual citizenship. But they have been instructed not to investigate this. So many sinkies with dual citizenship are going in and out of singapore every day, and they never have a problem even though the PAP know who they are. The minute you apply for citizenship to another country, you must do a police criminal record check to be send to the consulate. Right there, the govt already know you apply for police criminal record check and therefore you likely became a citizen of the country that it was requested for. Another way they know is all the staff doing security screening at the consulate and even many of the consulate admin staff are singaporean plants. So, when u make an appointment for the interview, they know the purpose you went to the consulate for. Another tip off that you intend to migrate to another country. If you don't give up your sinkie citizenship after a certain time period, it just confirms to them you have dual citizenship.

The reason the PAP does not vigoruously prosecute dual citizenship cases is that they did a study many years ago. Study was done during the Wooden Goh 'quitter" comment time period. The study showed that if you force the sinkie to either surrender his sinkie citizenship or surrender the other country's citizenship, 90% chose to keep the citizenship of the other country. What will then happen next is they will withdraw all their CPF at once because they are no longer sinkie citizens. Hundreds of millions $ will flow out as these are usually high net worth individuals that have dual citizenship. Do you think the PAP is remotely interested in losing so much CPF at one shot? Not a chance. Hence they don't ask. Unless u are so brazen about it, they have no choice.