• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another CHC's affiliation Heart of God Church scamming impressionable children

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Update: One day after this posting was made, the video below was removed from YouTube. Fortunately, Alvin (of alvinology.com) had the foresight to save a copy of the video. I have restored the video so that the contents can be seen and issues discussed. Remember the issues here are not about religion (which religion). It is about an organisation operating in a manner that is less than sensitive to other religious groups in institutions educating young children.

My initial concerns were the recruitment strategy of this religious groups. However, commenters have pointed out that religious leader is linked to the City Harvest Church as committee member and the organisation is affiliated with the City Harvest Church. Given various controversies surrounding the CHC and it's teaching of Prosperity Gospel, the recruitment strategies of its affiliate will cause deep concerns among parents. In the video, he said that poor children should be encouraged to make sacrifices to give. He told the story of one child in his church who woke up very morning at 5am to make food to sell to her friends in school so that she can give money to his organisation's building fund.

"When young people learn to give, God will prosper them. When they can learn to give when they are poor, they will be able to give when they are rich"

"I wanted a church that is built by young people. Even financially supported by young people. ....God also said to me, 'I want you to raise up a church supported financially by young people, by students, so that you can show the world that I can work, I do miracles with young people." - Tan
I was searching for videos on YouTube related to the City Harvest Church and I chanced upon this video of a Singaporean by the name of Tan speaking to a group of Russians. I do not know exactly who he is but what he said really troubles me. The relevant portion is the first half of his talk.

In the first part of the video, Mr. Tan told the Russians the recruitment strategy for his religious organisation. His primary target - school children. He explained that he would prefer to go directly to the school to recruit them to his organisation but the laws in Singapore forbid him from doing so. To get around this, he used school going children to persuade others to join his religious organisation essentially turning our schools into recruitment grounds. His religious groups have penetrated 70% of the schools in Singapore. Notice in the video that the funds raised by each group of children appears with their photos to highlight their achievement in bringing in donations to the organisation.
While I strongly believe religion plays an important role in our society, the strategy deployed by this religious leader to specifically target school going children in their teens really troubles me. At this young and tender age, a child's exposure to the world is limited and they are high impressionable - they can be easily influenced. Children are also to susceptible to peer pressure. By bringing these children into his organisation and imparting teachings that may be different from those of the children's parents can cause tension in the family at a time when parent-child relationship is critical phase. In a child's teenage years it is the parents that play a key role in guiding them and many will pick the right time to bring their children to mosques, churches and temples to introduce them to the family's religion.
Whatever his intentions are, he is playing a unhealthy game in our multi-religious society. Imagine if other religious groups using the same strategy competing actively to recruit school children- imagine the tension and suspicion it would cause. When I was in secondary schools, I had friends talk to me about their religion but they were never part of an organised deliberate strategy to recruit for a religious group.
Every religious leader has strong conviction that his is the 'true' religion (or the 'true version' of the religion) that will save souls but children are not fair game...please recruit them when they are older, less vulnerable and more able to think for themselves.

http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/07/this-video-troubles-me.html

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if all these religions are truly the "one" true faith and all the religions are intrinsically good at its core,why would they worry about one religion conflicting with their parents religion?

and why does it matter if children are too young to pick a religion for themselves and parents should choose for them?if you feel one religion is good enough for your child and and surely another religion is good enough for your child?ultimately the child's religion boils down to a game of luck,who they are born to will highly determine which religion they will end up with.resulting in a never ending cycle of idiocy.

and if we claim to be a truly multiracial and multireligious society,shouldnt we give all children the opportunity to study all religions and ideologies and let them decide at a later age say 14 or 16 which religion is the best for them?or are all religions ultimately hypocrites,claiming to be tolerant of others but in the end they all feel their own religion is the best?in the end singapore end up a backwards and traditional country unable to throw off the shackles of primitive and irrational and illogical beliefs of religion and conservative politics,unable to progress like other first world countries.financially we look like a first world country,but mentally and psychologically and philosophically we are still third world.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
One should be able to freely choose their religion but better dun choose one you cannot get out.

If terrorists are not afraid to blow themselves up, why are they afraid of apotasy?

Last edited:

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Tan Seow How fellow has greater foresight than Kong Hee, he starts to groom his seeds of fortune at their very young age.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Every religious leader has strong conviction that his is the 'true' religion (or the 'true version' of the religion) that will save souls but children are not fair game...please recruit them when they are older, less vulnerable and more able to think for themselves.

Nothing wrong with recruiting children. The PAP has been doing it for the last 4 decades.

https%253A%252F%252Ffbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net%252Fhphotos-ak-xap1%252Ft1.0-9%252F10421150_808485085836003_1799407732262906227_n.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing wrong with recruiting children. The PAP has been doing it for the last 4 decades.
Not surprising, these children brain-washed at the impressionable age grown up to form the bulk of the 70% hard-care supporters.:rolleyes:

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being curious is better than being clever, said the senior pastor of Heart Of God Church, Tan Seow How to the youth of City Harvest Church.

timthumb.php

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exploitating the curiosity of impressionable youth, that what con man Tan Seow How is trying to say. tsk!

11045428_10207431874528202_2084846469133263055_n.jpg

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these Jesus Crooks to Firing Squad at Padang on live TV ASAP.

no use without removing the 'root'. New Jesus crooks would emerge. This crook Tan Seow Howe is smartest, training schooling children to be future cash cows before these curious kids enter the working force. How crook!

7507697166_6532ac4873_z.jpg

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
CHC ordain Horse Sun Ho to be a Pastor and taking over Kong Hee Fatt Choi

last drawn salary!1 Huat arhh!! can now buy another Sentosa villa cost

around $16million!! Here come another larger Sam on the Way!

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did Mr. Tan not learn in bible school that Avarice (extreme greed) is one of the 7 Deadly Sins?

There's something suspicious about the way those money-minded pastors keep focusing attention on gathering money.

Back in the day, when I was going to church (a proper one), the focus was on telling our friends about God. We weren't ever told to go around making money. The Sunday class teachers, group leaders and pastors kept telling us that as children, it was our duty to God and society to study hard and, of course, spread the word of Christ.

No one ever told us to go around making money. That would have been unthinkable. In those days, nobody ever felt the need to sit in an expensive air-conditioned hall for our sermons.

This new breed of money-making pastors, I don't know what to think of them... Don't know lah. What kind of religious teachers make their students focus on acquiring material wealth instead of spiritual knowledge... :(

Faker

Alfrescian
Loyal
CHC ordain Horse Sun Ho to be a Pastor and taking over Kong Hee Fatt Choi

last drawn salary!1 Huat arhh!! can now buy another Sentosa villa cost

around $16million!! Here come another larger Sam on the Way!

Kong Hee is the dear mentor of Tan Seow How....

IMGP0472-copy.jpg