• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Making a will in Spore

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm seeing my relative & friends going away for good. The sad reality is that we are all getting old & you never know when your time will come:(
So I have made my will.

I would like to share my experience to help others who want to do the same.

There are 2 things you should consider making:
1) A will
2) A lasting power of attorney

A will is where you list your assets & who among your friends & relatives will get the $$ after your are gone.
Keep in mind that your CPF cannot be covered by a will. You MUST make a nomination via the CPF office. Failure to do so will mean that the PAP will get all your hard earned $ when you pass away.

It cost me $300 to $400 hundred in lawyer fees to make a will.

The other thing you should consider is making a "lasting power of attorney". If you don't die but are unable to take care of yourself e.g. have a stroke & can't talk, become brain damaged,.. Your caregiver needs the power from "a lasting power of attorney" to act on your behalf. A "lasting power attorney" will authorise someone to make decisions on your behalf e.g. sell you home, use your bank account,..etc

I know of a couple where the husband suffered a stroke & the wife cannot sell the home to downgrade for the $$ because the house is under the husbands name.

The cost of "a lasting power of attorney" is under $1,500. You need a lawyer to draft one out & he will submit it to the office of the guardian. The guardian is a gov't body who acts as an honest third party to make sure that the details of your "lasting power of attorney" are on record. It takes longer to prepare, submit & get a power of attorney recorded. The process may take a few months. The delay is at the guardians office because they scrutinise ALL the requests for "power of attorney" in Spore go through this office. They can be very fussy about the details

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Yang yin case said something about this lasting power of attorney. Can give but difficult to take back the power. Must prove this and that and even go to court. Is this a consideration?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think Yang yin case said something about this lasting power of attorney. Can give but difficult to take back the power. Must prove this and that and even go to court. Is this a consideration?

In my case it is easier since I plan to give the power of attorney to a close relative instead of some PRC gold digger.

You have to decide whether you have family members you trust. Touch wood that nothing serious happens to me but have to take steps to prepare for the worst case scenario.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody likes to think about death but I'm seeing too many people I know passing away. Pretty soon it will be my turn. That's why I'm taking extra care of my health in the hopes of staying around a bit longer :smile:

Don't forget to make a nomination for whatever is in your CPF. You may not live long enough to see your CPF, but I'm sure no one wants the PAP to get their hands on it.

You'll have to visit the the CPF office & make a nomination. Otherwise the PAP will take whatever $ is in your CPF. It's not enough to make a will where the CPF is concern. Much like HOTA where if you don't opt out, your organs will be taken by the PAP:(

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keep in mind that your CPF cannot be covered by a will. You MUST make a nomination via the CPF office. Failure to do so will mean that the PAP will get all your hard earned $ when you pass away.

You sure or not ? I tend to believe that if you didn't make a nomination, your CPF monies will under your intestate estate and be distributed according to the Intestate Succession Act.

I know 30% quite pissed with PAP and the 70%, but also don't anyhow accuse leh.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advice johnny, I think so too that we shouldn't wait until we're old. Mishaps can happen anytime, anywhere, we should do these things as soon as we can. I also wonder whether we can "donate" our body to scientific/medical studies when we die; this is so that after we pass on, some organization/institution takes over our body and our children are freed from making funeral/wake/cremation/burial arrangements. It matters not to me after I die what they do with my body.

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the advice johnny, I think so too that we shouldn't wait until we're old. Mishaps can happen anytime, anywhere, we should do these things as soon as we can. I also wonder whether we can "donate" our body to scientific/medical studies when we die; this is so that after we pass on, some organization/institution takes over our body and our children are freed from making funeral/wake/cremation/burial arrangements. It matters not to me after I die what they do with my body.

Cheers!

For me it's not about scientific/medical studies but rather about the idea of some unscrupulous people profiting from my body parts. Just like so many other things that go on in Spore there is not much disclosure about how things work in Spore. We are suppose to believe that the system is being run by honest unselfish people :biggrin:

When you make a will it's SOP to have a clause that your estate will cover the costs of your funeral & what is left over is distributed to the people you nominate. The executor will however have to do the donkey work of making arrangements of wake, funeral,.. etc. I've done my calculations & if things go as planned I expect to leave behind more than enough $$$ for a decent burial & quite a decent amount of $.

Hopefully it will help them lead a more comfortable life:smile:

I may not be able to touch my CPF but whoever inherits it will get $100+ K as well as my property & shares.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
....your CPF monies will under your intestate estate and be distributed according to the Intestate Succession Act.

I don't know what is the " Intestate Succession Act" is but I read somewhere that you have to nominate someone by filling up a form at the CPF office.
If you got the time you can of course verify this by visiting or calling the CPF office.

Why make things difficult for your heirs:confused: Since you are still alive you might as well make things easier by visiting the CPF office & making a nomination.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm seeing my relative & friends going away for good. The sad reality is that we are all getting old & you never know when your time will come:(
So I have made my will.

I would like to share my experience to help others who want to do the same.

There are 2 things you should consider making:
1) A will
2) A lasting power of attorney

A will is where you list your assets & who among your friends & relatives will get the $$ after your are gone.

It cost me $300 to $400 hundred in lawyer fees to make a will.

The other thing you should consider is making a "lasting power of attorney". If you don't die but are unable to take care of yourself e.g. have a stroke & can't talk, become brain damaged,.. Your caregiver needs the power from "a lasting power of attorney" to act on your behalf. A "lasting power attorney" will authorise someone to make decisions on your behalf e.g. sell you home, use your bank account,..etc

I know of a couple where the husband suffered a stroke & the wife cannot sell the home to downgrade for the $$ because the house is under the husbands name.

The cost of "a lasting power of attorney" is under $1,500. You need a lawyer to draft one out & he will submit it to the office of the guardian. The guardian is a gov't body who acts as an honest third party to make sure that the details of your "lasting power of attorney" are on record. It takes longer to prepare, submit & get a power of attorney recorded. The process may take a few months. The delay is at the guardians office because they scrutinise ALL the requests for "power of attorney" in Spore go through this office. They can be very fussy about the details

I must say this is a good post.

Yes, making a will is important. I have one for 3 years already. But never thought about Lasting POA. I guess you are correct, is something that I must mull over it. Everyone must think of doing a will of Lasting POA. Forget about the superstitious crap about dying soon after erecting a will. Don't be lazy also.

Btw if no CPF nomination, it will be transferred to the Public Trustee for distribution to your family under the intestacy laws. Don't give that "attack PAP" crap when you have written such a good post.

Lastly, for Life Insurance, if a nomination is made, it will not fall under the will too, right? If no nomination, it will form part of the Estate and distributed based on the the will.

Last edited:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You sure or not ? I tend to believe that if you didn't make a nomination, your CPF monies will under your intestate estate and be distributed according to the Intestate Succession Act.

I know 30% quite pissed with PAP and the 70%, but also don't anyhow accuse leh.

Spot on bro. This is from CPF website:

If you pass away without CPF Nomination, your CPF savings (Ordinary, Special, Medisave and Retirement Accounts) will be transferred to the Public Trustee for distribution to your family under the intestacy laws. For example, if you are single, your CPF savings will be distributed by the Public Trustee equally between your parents. If you are married, your spouse will receive half of your CPF savings, and your children will share the remaining half.

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know what is the " Intestate Succession Act" is but I read somewhere that you have to nominate someone by filling up a form at the CPF office.
If you got the time you can of course verify this by visiting or calling the CPF office.

Why make things difficult for your heirs:confused: Since you are still alive you might as well make things easier by visiting the CPF office & making a nomination.

Bro, I am not suggesting that we do nothing and let intestacy laws deal with our estate.

I was merely making an attempt to clarify your assertion that if we didn't make any nomination in our CPF form, the money would be makan by PAP.

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/pto...s/information-for-next-of-kin-cpf-monies.html

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on bro. This is from CPF website:

If you pass away without CPF Nomination, your CPF savings (Ordinary, Special, Medisave and Retirement Accounts) will be transferred to the Public Trustee for distribution to your family under the intestacy laws. For example, if you are single, your CPF savings will be distributed by the Public Trustee equally between your parents. If you are married, your spouse will receive half of your CPF savings, and your children will share the remaining half.

kum sia ! kum sia ! :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if i were to make a will i want to make sure my money goes to nobody is that possible?

if i were to become a multi millionaire or billionaire and build my own empire,i want my money to go to people who truly need it and deserves it,someplace like africa or something,good causes or humanitarian causes or something or help the homeless in japan or america or some emerging country.i dont want a single cent to go to this country or land into any sinkies hand.most of the human race are scum but 99.9 percent of sinkies are worthless scum.Leong sam was right when he packed his bags and left for some remote island in new zealand and distanced himself away from all the worthless retard selfish insular sinkies.

as for POA that doesnt matter,if im rich i can simply cover myself with 1 or 2 million dollar insurance policies,and assign a lawyer to take care of any expenses that might crop up should i be incapacitated or senile or anything.no need to give the entire POA to someone else just to take care of ur senile ass.

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
if i were to make a will i want to make sure my money goes to nobody is that possible?

if i were to become a multi millionaire or billionaire and build my own empire,i want my money to go to people who truly need it and deserves it,someplace like africa or something,good causes or humanitarian causes or something or help the homeless in japan or america or some emerging country.i dont want a single cent to go to this country or land into any sinkies hand.most of the human race are scum but 99.9 percent of sinkies are worthless scum.Leong sam was right when he packed his bags and left for some remote island in new zealand and distanced himself away from all the worthless retard selfish insular sinkies.

as for POA that doesnt matter,if im rich i can simply cover myself with 1 or 2 million dollar insurance policies,and assign a lawyer to take care of any expenses that might crop up should i be incapacitated or senile or anything.no need to give the entire POA to someone else just to take care of ur senile ass.

Can, why not ? You have to create a trust in your will.

But wait till you become billionaire then talk lor.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, I am not suggesting that we do nothing and let intestacy laws deal with our estate.

I was merely making an attempt to clarify your assertion that if we didn't make any nomination in our CPF form, the money would be makan by PAP.

https://www.mlaw.gov.sg/content/pto...s/information-for-next-of-kin-cpf-monies.html

Sorry for being paranoid about big brother but I have seen the PAP do plenty of under handed & self serving policies e.g. The changes to the CPF withdrawal age & changes to the minimum sum.

So in my view it is always safer to expect the worse from the PAP & plan accordingly. Many Sporeans have become very kiasu about following the law because it avoids potential problems.

By making a nomination you will help your heirs avoid all kinds of delays & problems.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry for being paranoid about big brother but I have seen the PAP do plenty of under handed & self serving policies e.g. The changes to the CPF withdrawal age & changes to the minimum sum.

So in my view it is always safer to expect the worse from the PAP & plan accordingly. Many Sporeans have become very kiasu about following the law because it avoids potential problems.

By making a nomination you will help your heirs avoid all kinds of delays & problems.

while I am sure govt cannot makan cpf money in event of death but the nomination MUST state the beneficiaries will be able to encash the mati's cpf money. There are many stories of ppl cannot encash the cpf money, instead the money were deposited into beneficiaries' cpf account instead. So must make sure nomination form only tick the box for cash reimbursement.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
while I am sure govt cannot makan cpf money in event of death but the nomination MUST state the beneficiaries will be able to encash the mati's cpf money. There are many stories of ppl cannot encash the cpf money, instead the money were deposited into beneficiaries' cpf account instead. So must make sure nomination form only tick the box for cash reimbursement.

I've been played out by the PAP so often that this comes as no surprise to me:wink:

I am one who believes that we will never see our hands on our CPF while the PAP is in power.
Hopefully my heirs will get to enjoy my CPF when I am gone. So don't forget to make a nomination at a CPF office.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my case it is easier since I plan to give the power of attorney to a close relative instead of some PRC gold digger.

You have to decide whether you have family members you trust. Touch wood that nothing serious happens to me but have to take steps to prepare for the worst case scenario.

In the LPA, is there a provision for the person appointed if die earlier? Like another back up name or need to reappoint? How about the provisions can include a clause to unplug as soon as vegetative state?