• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chew Eng Han: My friends eat office biscuits to save money & give to Kong Hee

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
He was the loyal follower who rose quickly through the ranks at City Harvest Church (CHC).

But after Chew Eng Han and five others from the church, including founder Kong Hee, were arrested, that loyalty counted for nothing.

He grilled Kong Hee in court during the trial. He singled out the former pastor for the mess they were in.

He blamed vanity for Kong’s persistence in pursuing his wife’s pop-star ambition.

Chew let fly at in a two hour interview with The New Paper on Sunday.

Chew says he left CHC in 2013 partly because of how Kong Hee and his wife had misled a small group of donors who had been supporting the livelihood of the couple.

He adds that Kong did so by showing the donors “false accounts”.

The money was channelled to a multi-purpose account (MPA), a trust fund that comprised of personal donations — “love gifts” — from about 40 of Kong’s closest supporters, court proceedings showed.

The MPA was used by Kong Hee and Ms Ho, whose stage name was Sun Ho, for their personal expenses including travel, medical bills, hair and make-up.

The New Paper on Sunday had provided a breakdown on Nov 8 based on documents tendered in court.

Chew and his wife had donated “hundreds of thousands” in love gifts to the MPA from 2007 to 2009.

They gave to the MPA because Kong Hee and Ms Ho were “labouring for the Lord” and had announced that they had taken themselves off the CHC payroll in 2005.

“They need to survive. That’s what we think. No salary, poor thing. Let’s donate love gifts.”

They had no idea what the money was used on, or who else contributed to it, as Kong Hee and his subordinates did not reveal the full accounts for the monies from 2007 to 2009 to the donors.

The donors had no issue because the money was meant for the couple anyway, says Chew.

TURNING POINT
In 2010, Kong Hee held a meeting for all the MPA donors for the first time and presented a spreadsheet showing that the fund was in deficit.

Says Chew: “He wanted more money... So he gives us an impression that the collection from us is not enough to cover the expenses.

“Then, he gave us a form to write down how much more we think we can increase our gifts in the coming year, and the aim was to try to prod us to achieve a certain targeted amount.”

City Harvest Church founder and senior pastor Kong Hee (right) and his wife Ho Yeow Sun at the State Courts on Oct 21, 2015 for the verdict of the CHC trial. TNP FILE PHOTO
It turned out in later investigations that Ms Ho and Kong had been withdrawing more than $400,000 from the MPA as part of Ms Ho’s salary, royalties and bonuses for her music career.

This was not told to the MPA donors during the meeting, as Kong admitted in court that CHC had a practice of keeping its members’ income confidential.

Says Chew: “We had no clue before that first MPA meeting in 2010 that he had been collecting (more than) a million dollars.

“It was emotional (when he showed us the MPA was in deficit). It was like: ‘Poor Pastor Kong, he’s got so much expenses because he is involved in the Crossover Project.’

He says the Commercial Affairs Department questioned fellow accused Serina Wee why she kept two separate spreadsheets on the MPA cash-flow, one to show to the MPA donors and another showing that Sun Ho was paid monies from the account.

Chew says: “She (Wee) said that it was because Sun’s salary is very sensitive. But it should not be sensitive to the 50 of us because we already intended to give to her (Ms Ho) anyway.”

Chew quit the church in February 2013 after 18 years.

He said that ordinary church members who donated to the church, building fund and the Crossover Project sacrificed their own well-being instead.

He recalled a story of a CHC member who donated “a lot” of his earnings to the building fund.

Says Chew: “He came in early to the office to eat biscuits and save money. The office biscuits.

“So, my friend (who was his employer) asked him, why are you eating biscuits every morning? He said that it was so he could sacrifice and give more to the fund.”

Chew personally donated about $600,000 to the building fund and to Sun Ho’s artiste management company, Xtron Productions, in total, according to court proceedings.

He says: “These people are all living difficult lives, you know? Even for myself, for all the earnings I have given, I could have saved or multiplied it for my own children.

“I hardly have anything now, because I believed in this vision, in serving God.”

Kong and Ms Ho did not reply to our repeated requests for comment.

JUDGE: KONG HEE EXPLOITED CHEW
Kong Hee had exploited Chew, said State Courts Presiding Judge See Kee Oon in his written judgement last month.

“Eng Han’s forceful personality, coupled with his determination and drive to achieve his objectives, was recognised and exploited by Kong Hee,” said Judge See.

“They tapped on and fuelled each other’s drive, one as a spiritual leader and the other as a finance expert.

But Chew had his failings too.

The judge found that Chew expected no losses from using the building fund to fund the Crossover Project because he thought “everything in City Harvest that was done, succeeded”.

“That is surely a bold and sweeping exaggeration that gives the lie to the extravagant overconfidence that characterised his conduct and mindset,” he said.

Chew Eng Han first joined City Harvest Church (CHC) in December 1995 after he was introduced to the church by his nephew.

He converted to Christianity that day and rose through the ranks.

He started as a cell group leader in 1997 and became a CHC board member in April 1999.

Chew, 55, said: “(Kong Hee) picked me because I was very dedicated to the church. A very hardworking labourer for God.”

Chew then was also the head of State Street Bank.

“He probably chose me as well because at that time, there were not many professionals working in the church (who were) earning so much money.

“I never felt attracted to the position. To me was just a chance to serve even more effectively.”

The church also experienced a massive swell in its congregation size between 1995 and 1997, he says.

When he joined in 1995, there were just 1,300 members.

That number doubled the following year before increasing to 5,000 in 1997.

“At that time, we were still good. I think it was the presence of God (and) the pure worship. This was 1996, 1997, 1998.

“These three years the atmosphere was pure. The staff were all very hardworking and dedicated to the Kingdom,” he says.

Chew went on to become a key figure in the church’s hunt for a new worship premise as well as the structuring of the Xtron and Firna bonds.

DONATIONS
Chew Eng Han questioned the size of the medical expenses chalked up by the couple.

According to court documents, they spent around $140,000 in 2007, and around $180,000 in 2008 and 2009 on medical bills.

“I only see one issue of Kong and Sun who were living it up. But when they presented the MPA (to us), they make it seem like they are so sacrificial and are having a hard time,” says Chew.

Former CHC member Jean Jacques Lavigne tells TNP that he believes the way MPA was dealt with remained a sore point for him till today.

He left the church in 2013 after being a member for 15 years. By then, he had already donated a “five-figure sum” to support Kong believing that it had gone into the MPA.

This was on top of his regular tithes and donations to the church and the building fund.

Says Mr Lavigne, a CEO of a superyacht firm: “When he comes to the givers, he would say, ‘Oh you are so good to me, dear MPA givers, this is how much you gave me. But I’m spending so much. Could you give a bit more?’ So, people give a bit more.”

But he did not know that Sun Ho had been drawing out around $400,000 as royalties, bonuses and salaries every year.

He only found out when Chew told him about it.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
unimaginable that there are still dumb flocks attending the weekly scam,in denial pehaps? with KH soon to be packed to jail, will CHC lasts? Sun whore should perform her China whore MTV live week in week out ... not forgetting their son, when he be ordained as pastor to continue the bloodline of CHC crime family.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He was the loyal follower who rose quickly through the ranks at City Harvest Church (CHC).

He only found out when Chew told him about it.

Really fit the meaning of giving till it hurts.......
Perhaps we should ask mr chew if he had given his parents that much monies as to Kh ie, love gifts.

But I doubt so........

Recall heard in the news that chc has lost 1/4 of its followers. Wonder with this episode why do these people still want to follow........

Believing in oneself is most important, does one needs somebody to tell them what to believe in and be lead.......to the slaughter house.

Last edited:

Gotze

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After reading this article, I support CPF Life and Minimum Sum Scheme.

Some people are just too stupid to take care of themselves. They need Big Brother to save them from themselves.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
400k a year? Not even a peanut! :rolleyes:
Don't be stingy to hardworking laborers of the Lord lah.
Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the Kingdom in heaven. :smile:

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
400k a year? Not even a peanut! :rolleyes:
Don't be stingy to hardworking laborers of the Lord lah.
Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the Kingdom in heaven. :smile:

Precisely. People tend to forget Sun Ho was a chart topper. How much does Lady Gaga make ? Or Kylie Minogue ?

Let's not forget she is also a fashionista. $400,000 is really cheap.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Human beings do not need to rely on invisible force to survive.. If you believe in that, problems like this and Islamic terrorist occurred.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
These religious organisations make you believe that you need them for your progress of whatever sort, be it personal or external.

I usually show my middle finger to them.

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely. People tend to forget Sun Ho was a chart topper. How much does Lady Gaga make ? Or Kylie Minogue ?

That is because they are doing God's work.
The more you give, the more you get!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Lady gaga makes her money from the REAL sales of her creative music and not by pandering church members to buy her album by making use of the words of God.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come nobody gets arrested and charged in court for losing billions of taxpayer monies in Temasick and Gee Aye see? As a result your CPF min sums keeps increasing every year? Why the double standards har?

Some more taxes are not voluntary! It's compulsory!

jw5

Loyal
Eating office biscuits daily as a meal is not right. The biscuits are meant for everyone, not just him. :biggrin:

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
CHC leaders betrayed the trust given by its members!
What about the trust Singaporeans placed in the Singapore government?

Billions are lost by Temasick and GICs run by Ho Ching! The result is the raising of CPF min sums yearly to cover the lost of these two secret accounts!

Mr Lee Hsien Loong is covering up his wife activities!

Why are there no court cases against these two couples?

See the similarities? Kong Hee take the church money and feeds his wife crappy musical career! Mr. Lee Hsien Loong take taxpayers monies and feed on HO Ching fund crappy management careers!

Why is there no public uproar! There should be even higher standards for public accountability for Mr. Lee Hsien Loong and his wife because this impacted the entire country than a small group of community like CHC!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
i hope he did not applease everyone else by offering the office cleaner when the biscuit tin goes empty.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eating office biscuits daily as a meal is not right. The biscuits are meant for everyone, not just him. :biggrin:

i keep a stash of crackers for emergency purposes such as earthquakes, closure of roads, or mass shootings by a nutcase. i lick all of them before sealing them in an airtight container. i will share them and disclose that each cracker is thoroughly checked with tender loving care. :p

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did God, Kong Hee and Sun Whore pay income tax ? If not, why hasn't the IRAS taken action to audit / charge them for tax evasion ? Akan Datang ?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After reading this and similar stories I wonder how can the horse go free?
She is as culpable as an accomplice and abetting the crimes.
CAD officers besotted with her like our bossman Sam?

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chew Eng Han has been called many things. A traitor for breaking with City Harvest Church (CHC) and exposing its inner circle in court. Others call him courageous.

By his own admission, the 55-year-old investment manager is just a tired man.

"It seems like I've got so many enemies," he told The Sunday Times. "So many battles, I've got to fight so many people."

His fund management business has gone belly up. He is being sued for $21 million in unreturned investments by CHC. And the 142-day corruption trial ended on Friday with him and five other former and current church leaders sentenced to prison.

Chew now faces six years in jail.
The only one who received a longer sentence - eight years - was Kong Hee, the church's 51-year-old founding pastor. Last month, the six were convicted of misusing $24 million in church funds to bankroll the secular music career of Kong's wife, singer-pastor Ho Yeow Sun. A further $26 million was later used to cover up their tracks.

Judge See Kee Oon made it clear Chew shouldered a lot of the blame alongside Kong. In his written judgment, he called them "kindred spirits" who "fuelled each other's drive, one as a spiritual leader and the other as a finance expert".

On Friday, the judge said Chew's role as the church's investment manager meant several of the other accused relied on his opinion.

Chew was, after all, responsible for devising the bonds - which the court has declared as sham - through which the church's money was funnelled to the Crossover Project, which aimed to use Ms Ho's pop music to evangelise to the unchurched.

But Chew continues to insist that the bonds were legitimate. Instead, Crossover was the sham, he said pointedly during the interview, which took place before he was found guilty.

"We expected to make money from (Sun Ho's albums), and Sun was meant to get souls saved; this was the best thing the church would ever do. But, as it turns out, the album was a sham. The Crossover was a sham. The bond was a good bond - what went on behind the scene made it look like a sham."

The Crossover Project started in 2002, said Chew, seven years after he joined CHC. "Kong Hee said Sun Ho was making inroads among youth through her concerts."

Kong told the church God gave him the vision for the project, and it was a sacred mission, said Chew, one he initially believed in.

"I thought we were shaking Christians out from their slumber."

In 2003, church member Roland Poon went public with accusations that donations meant for CHC's building fund were being misused to fuel Ms Ho's music career.

And this, said Chew, prompted Kong to decide to distance the church from his wife's music career, at least on paper. And he had the church's backing, added Chew.

"Not everything done in secrecy is a conspiracy," he said, pointing out that members were told at church of the thousands of souls being saved at Ms Ho's concerts. To him, CHC seemed "so different from other churches, always at the forefront of new things".

Even when Ms Ho started raising eyebrows by gyrating in skimpy clothing in her music videos, Chew believed in the mission. "Deep inside, I was a bit uncomfortable, but I didn't express this because of my loyalty to Kong Hee and Sun."

That belief started to falter when he and 16 others from the church were questioned by the Commercial Affairs Department in 2010. He managed a glance at Kong while the latter was inside an interview room. The pastor met his eyes, then looked down. Later, in a meeting with the church's lawyer, Chew described how Kong kept silent, in stark contrast to how he reacted to the Poon incident seven years earlier. Kong had gone on the offensive then, announcing to the church that "not a single cent" was used to promote Ms Ho's pop career.

A report by the Commissioner of Charities (COC) later revealed that between December 2007 and May 2010, at least $2.1 million of church funds had been channelled through an affiliate church in Kuala Lumpur to Crossover.

The report also said church donations were transferred to a private fund, called the multi-purpose account. Through this account, money would be transferred to Kong - around $600,000 allegedly went to him this way.

Chew claimed in court that Kong was more interested in personal gain than the church.

He told The Sunday Times he had confronted Kong about the COC report in a private meeting in March 2013. "Several times... Kong said, 'Let's forget about everything that we are talking about. I just want to know are we good or not... Are you still on my side or not?' "

But Chew urged Kong to talk to CHC's board and executive members - to "just apologise and repent". When Kong did not, Chew quit the church after being a member for 17 years. Chew added that he bears "no grudge in my heart". But he hopes his departure would send a signal to other members and get them to think about the church more critically.

These days, strangers do come up to him to wish him well. One even paid for his meal at a Japanese restaurant and left him two Bible verses for encouragement.

"They actually thank me for having the courage to speak up," said Chew, who intends to write a book about his experience "once this is over". "It will make a good movie," he added with a smile. But it may be a while before the saga is over.

On Friday, he told the court that he will appeal against both the guilty verdict and his sentence.