• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

so poor thing Singaporean salaries so low!

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot afford to buy air ticket by himself to HK to see his mom! Must rely on public donation! What is wrong with NWC?

BY HOE PEI SHAN REPORTING FROM HONG KONG

She turned the corner and stopped in her tracks.

Ms Mary Seow, 60, could not believe her eyes.

Her only son, whom she had last seen in person more than four years ago, was sitting on a bench just metres away.

The single mum had abruptly sold the flat she shared with her son, Mr Edward Goh, some five years ago.

She then became uncontactable shortly after leaving for China for business in 2011.

Mr Goh filed a missing person's report later that year. He found out only last week through news reports that his mother was living in Hong Kong as a McRefugee — a homeless individual seeking overnight shelter at 24-hour McDonald's outlets.

He planned a surprise visit to Hong Kong with the help of several kind readers of The New Paper, which reported on Ms Seow's struggles as a McRefugee and the challenges Mr Goh, a 28-year-old invoice processor earning $2,000 a month, faced in trying to get her back to Singapore.

Unlike their video call on Tuesday, when they saw each other and spoke for the first time in more than four years, there were no tears at their reunion yesterday.

A stunned Ms Seow took a moment to process the first sight of her son in person, then rolled up a piece of paper in her hand and swung it at him, as a beating for making the unexpected appearance.

Mr Goh played along, yelping and trying to dodge the blows, as smiles flashed across both their faces.

He had been worrying that his mother would refuse to meet him if she knew he was travelling to Hong Kong.

"I was shocked, not angry," said Ms Seow afterwards.

"How can I be angry, he is doing this for my good."

The mother-son pair later splurged HK$120 (S$22) on claypot rice and egg waffles for lunch — luxuries in Ms Seow's McRefugee life.

''I've been in Hong Kong for so many months but never had a proper meal on my own. How to afford?'' said Ms Seow.

Read the full report in our print edition on Nov 21.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...ugee-mum-visit-hong-kong#sthash.H15RkhML.dpuf

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$2k per mth not bad liao just processing invoice.
I suspect the mum bought the sales proceeds to hk macau to do "business"

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The MIW is so poor thing too, they keep complaining that they are paid so low, sacrificed so much & come as a bargain...but they did not take refuge in MAcDonald's though...theirs is where Caviar & foie gras are found, washed down with shark fin soup plus watered the throat with Chablis....so poor thing! though...

The point is...how to define " so poor thing"??:p

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not enough to buy even a 3k handbag.
Knn process invoice might be easy job but working hrs 12hrs per day also lppl

Depends on individual how they manage lor. I take home around $2k , I used avg $500 can save $1.5k. 2 mths later I can buy 3k bag liao.
Another friend his take home pay about $1.8k he can drive a lancer and feed 2 child and a housewife :wink:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Depends on individual how they manage lor. I take home around $2k , I used avg $500 can save $1.5k. 2 mths later I can buy 3k bag liao.
Another friend his take home pay about $1.8k he can drive a lancer and feed 2 child and a housewife :wink:

Hi chootchiew, does the 500 includes utility such as power and water bill, conservancy fees, transport, Internet and mobile phone charges.......
Maybe you can give a breakdown.......

As for your friend, this is probably is last car cycle, with today's Coe prices, it will be very difficult to buy another car, even for 2nd hand, as the 2 children grows older, expenses increases....

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi chootchiew, does the 500 includes utility such as power and water bill, conservancy fees, transport, Internet and mobile phone charges.......

As for your friend, this is probably is last car cycle, with today's Coe prices, it will be very difficult to buy another car, even for 2nd hand, as the 2 children grows older, expenses increases....

hi bro 41yo, yes 500 inclusive of everything.
my average expenditures are :

Water+electricity= $70
tc charge = $42 (3 rm flat)
internet = $6 (subsidized by IDA)
transport = $80
mobilephone = $28 (corp rate)
makan = $200 to $250
entertainment = $80 --> Sometimes $0 if I am lazy to go out

As for my friend, I am really impressed as he has 2 school going child. He can buy insurance for the children & wife as well.
The lancer alone I thought will take up almost all the $1.8k . I have totally no idea how he manage to do it. I also believe this should be a last cycle, maybe he teo 4d and paid the full price of the lancer :*:

Just to share abit more. Since 12 years ago I aspire to save as much % of my pay as possible and I realized that it is a joy and excitement to spend as little money as possible. End of the month there is a real sense of achievement. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot afford to buy air ticket by himself to HK to see his mom! Must rely on public donation! What is wrong with NWC?

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...ugee-mum-visit-hong-kong#sthash.H15RkhML.dpuf

Even if I have (which I do not have officially) millions under my pillow, I will prefer to use $ from others who willingly give me more $ to spend, without ever touching my millions.

Now that sounds familiar isn't? Where did I heard the above before. Let me ask 69.9%.

Now that his Mom is coming back to SG, are those kind-hearted people going to support his mother too by donating more $, or give him a higher-paying job after this?

Does that means 1 more seat taken in SG MacDonalds rather than in HKG?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

If he is spending only 500 means he staying with mom and dad lar.

Edited - Saw his comment later and i am quite surprised at how he can keep his expenditure to 500...

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he is spending only 500 means he staying with mom and dad lar.

Edited - Saw his comment later and i am quite surprised at how he can keep his expenditure to 500...

I own a hdb 3 rm .
I leeched everything I could fm pap during the time when I was unemployed. This further reduced my expenditures incl transportation I applied for concession.