• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lousy Kalashnikov (AK-47) jams

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If your rifle can handle this water test, it will handle anything.

[video=youtube;AGwkHktkTxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU[/video]

[video=youtube;-JqZwBRNDic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqZwBRNDic[/video]

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Compared the German's HK416 rifle, our SAR21 with all the scholars designing it, seems to be a waste of money.

[video=youtube;M9-KnrvJ7Qc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9-KnrvJ7Qc[/video]

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are still living in the Vietnam war. This topic of AK versus M-16 has been debated ad nauseum. The earlier versions of the M-16 were misrepresented to the soldiers as a self cleaning weapon, as well, a dirtier cartridge was issued that fouled the gas tubes. If the soldiers had cleaned their weapons during their downtime, it would have been as reliable as the AK in a firefight. The modern M-16 i.e. M-4 family is much more reliable. And you still have not solved the issue of a lack of a picatinny rail.

I remember reading an interview with Yisrael Galil the designer of the Galil rifle. He studied the performance of various rifles M16, AK, FN,... that was used in the desert. He found that the tiger of the desert was the AK 47 & that is why he copied the design. The Galil rifle is nothing more than an improved AK.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I remember reading an interview with Yisrael Galil the designer of the Galil rifle. He studied the performance of various rifles M16, AK, FN,... that was used in the desert. He found that the tiger of the desert was the AK 47 & that is why he copied the design. The Galil rifle is nothing more than an improved AK.

And yet, the AK-47 jammed during an attack on a cafe.....

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

But he chambered it for the 5.56mm round, a round that was unique and invented for the M-16. As well, barrel and other components were based on the M-16. You can say that the M-16 was also used to influence the Galil design as well as the AK. The AK has many flaws. If it did not, the IDF would have used it as their standard weapon after having captured tens of thousands of them from the Arabs during the 1973 and 1967 wars. The Israelis are not stupid, if they were and if they did not have better equipment and training they would have been conquered long ago. If the AK was the far superior weapon to the M-16, they would have been using it today as their standard issue. It is not. Simple as that. They are using the M-16/M-4 family and their own designs. If you think you are smarter then them and that the AK is the be all and end all of assault rifles, then good for you.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But he chambered it for the 5.56mm round, a round that was unique and invented for the M-16. As well, barrel and other components were based on the M-16. You can say that the M-16 was also used to influence the Galil design as well as the AK. The AK has many flaws. If it did not, the IDF would have used it as their standard weapon after having captured tens of thousands of them from the Arabs during the 1973 and 1967 wars. The Israelis are not stupid, .........

The Galil was made for both the 5.56 & 7.62 round. From the interview I read priority was given for export orders because the company company wanted $$$.

The Israel army also had lots of free captured weapons that they got from all their previous conflicts.

Despite the shortcomings of the M16, it is recognise to be a more accurate than the AK. The Ak47 is a heavier round but isn't as accurate as the M16.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The Galil was made for both the 5.56 & 7.62 round. From the interview I read priority was given for export orders because the company company wanted $$$.

The Israel army also had lots of free captured weapons that they got from all their previous conflicts.

Despite the shortcomings of the M16, it is recognise to be a more accurate than the AK. The Ak47 is a heavier round but isn't as accurate as the M16.

From the outset, it was designed for the 5.56mm round. Later they designed some for 7.62mm round, mostly as a sniper rifle. Most export versions were 5.56mm.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
From the outset, it was designed for the 5.56mm round. Later they designed some for 7.62mm round, mostly as a sniper rifle. Most export versions were 5.56mm.

It would be better to be shot by the larger caliber.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that random jam video with the AK47 reloading sounds and narrator's voice reminds me of the Counterstrike game.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It would be better to be shot by the larger caliber.

That is probably true. The 5.56mm round is by far the more deadlier of the two. many people get shot with the 7.62mm WARPAC rounds and it goes in and comes out the other end. Entry and exit wound in the same line. The 5.56mm round because its lighter starts to tumble in flight and is tumbling as it enters the body. It continues to tumble inside the body hence creating much more damage even though it may not penetrate all the way through. The Americans also know that the wounds caused by this bullet is not usually a straight outright kill due to the smaller calibre round and smaller charge in the cartridge. However, the soldier wounded by this round will require at least 2 more to evacuate him. hence tying up 3 soldiers with one shot. A larger calibre 7.62mm round might just kill the person and his other buddies continue to fight.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Not an expert and would defer to the folks here but perhaps the tangos used cheaply made clones of the AK, such as those made in Poland or China or maybe it was an export model. The training received by these people are typically far less than regular or even para military forces. How many rounds do they expend in training weekly/monthly? More likely a few times at most every few months clandestinely? The weapon is just one of the factors, training is another often overlooked attribute. The 7.62x39mm round does its fair share but as seen in the AK74 and later weapons by Izhmash, etc, other rounds were further developed with desired characteristics. AK has several factors going against it which was why further developments took place.

Sights, scopes etc on the rails are only supporting tools, nothing beats getting familiar with the weapon and being trained on the nuances and pitfalls. The furthest effective range set iron sights on the AK is way too far anyway but doesn't diminish its effectiveness. The quality of the rounds used is also another key factor as using the right rounds would make a difference in overall accuracy and performance. Not talking about match grade rounds, just rounds that have consistency in the production and have a low defective rate.

It probably would not have made much difference in this case given the close nature of the engagements which was point blank in some cases. I am a fan of the Galil family and would like to highlight that the 7.62x51mm nato chambering is not just for sniping. The long mag on the 7.62 mag makes it difficult to fire prone. Perhaps during the development of certain weapons such as the SCAR, some of its performance in the larger caliber would have been good for benchmarking. The search for the ultimate firearm goes on but i for one, if i would need to be handed a weapon by the SAF once more, would pick my trusty old one over something bullpup, it serves no real purpose even though so many countries like to develop it. I share what some folks feel about such weapons, serving a market that no one wants or needs. The M4 and deriatives like the HK416 are still being widely used. I guess i have digressed too much, leaving it to the exports to discuss.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The AK-47 has proven itself in more than a half-century of the Cold War. Still the most rugged, most reliable, most affordable maintenance, and beloved of all military police, paramilitary troops, guerrillas, criminals and civilians alike. The standard by which all assault rifles are assessed. The M16 falls short on many counts, not least of all reliability.

The nigger TS hates russia, china etc and loves everything US, allies etc therefore is bias to everything made in russia,china and their allies. That's the problem because now he bases all his judgement on being bias towards every russian/chinese made piece of equipment/ action etc which is obviously fucking stupid to say the least.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BUY 4D, ak47 jam. badly maintenance. Paris is very strict for arms. They die like siting duck thanks to their own law. You cannot have strict gun law when you have ZERO border with belgium.