• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Church and members disagree on same-sex marriage

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christianity is behaving more like a people-movement than a doctrine obedient religion. The subject is human freedom, the issue is homosexuality. The church (in this case, the Latter-Day Saints, also known as Mormons), and some of its members do not see eye-to-eye on baptism for children of same-sex marriages (which is legal under US federal law), so, many of its members quit that church! Different churches view homosexuality differently, but one thing is sure, the people's opinions do not toe the line o the churches beliefs an teachings anymore.

Cheers!

http://www.ibtimes.com/about-1500-mormons-resign-church-protest-same-sex-policy-2185319

About 1,500 Mormons Resign From Church In Protest Of Same-Sex Policy

By Reuters on November 15 2015 3:25 PM EST

About 1,500 Latter-day Saints have submitted letters of resignation from the Mormon Church to protest a new policy barring children of married same-sex couples from being baptized until they are adults, movement organizers said on Sunday.
More than 1,000 people gathered on Saturday near the Salt Lake City headquarters of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) to protest the policy they see as discriminatory and harmful to families, with many standing in long lines to submit their resignations, they said.
A similar protest called "The Utah Rally for Love, Equality, Family and Acceptance" is set for next Saturday in the same area.
Leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints approved the policy this month. It added same-sex marriage to acts considered to be a renunciation of the Mormon faith and thus subject to church discipline, including excommunication.
"It is difficult for people to leave the Church. It takes people a long time to make this decision. It is a well-thought-out one and it is not taken lightly," said Brooke Swallow, one of the organizers of the Saturday protest.
"The people in the Mormon Church are finding that this is not a Christ-centered policy," Swallow added. "This is a policy that is about the people at the top, and their views and prejudices, and they are not thinking through what this will do long-term to families."
Church officials were not immediately available for comment.
The Church has more than 15 million adherents and 85,000 missionaries around the world.
The new church policy follows a landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June that legalized same-sex marriage. The policy bars children of gay married couples from being baptized in the faith until they turn 18, leave their parents' home and disavow same-sex marriage or cohabitation.
Church leaders elaborated on the policy on Friday, saying the withholding of baptism would apply only to children whose primary residence was with a same-sex couple.
The provisions do not curtail the membership activities of children who have already been baptized, the leaders said.
The Church said this year it would support laws protecting gays and lesbians from discrimination in housing and employment. But Mormon leaders have said sex should only happen between a married couple, and that they cannot sanction same-sex marriage.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always follow the bible!

When people attitudes changes and departs from the bible.

They are just kowtowing down to popular pressures!

Which is wrong!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
In earlier times (up to say, 13th or 14th century, maybe earlier), the bible was not challenged. We have moved several centuries since, past the renaissance, age of enlightenment, the scientific age of discovery, now in post-industrial age. Of course we have deviated from the bible. It is bullshit. There are certain aspects of morality and ethics we have adopted from biblical teachings, but many of its stories and narrations are just that - stories. What we may see as popular pressure are in some ways, social movements, maybe not from majority, but in sufficient numbers that it deserves attention, and probably review of our existing norms.

In this case here - same sex marriage. You and me may feel strange about it, maybe even disgusted, but that is because of the way we were brought up. But look at it from the side of the orphan child without a stable, comfortable, and safe home, working parents and family gatherings. Yes, it will be nice, even perfect to have heterosexual parents, a papa and a mama to come home to. Now, if there were none, then even a family of two papas or two mamas is better than no family. As long as they love the child and do all they can to provide and protect. As for the homo parents, that is their own personal business.

Cheers!

Always follow the bible!

When people attitudes changes and departs from the bible.

They are just kowtowing down to popular pressures!

Which is wrong!

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mormons are not Christians.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) is a cult.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christianity started out as a cult, and it grew to become the big Catholic Church. Every other offshoot (or Protestant Church) was at one time, a cult too. In the state of Utah, Mormons are the largest denomination, and is the official state religion. Members of CHC (City Harvest Church) - do they consider themselves a cult? Are they? Or are they Christians?

Cheers!

Mormons are not Christians.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) is a cult.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christianity started out as a cult, and it grew to become the big Catholic Church. Every other offshoot (or Protestant Church) was at one time, a cult too. In the state of Utah, Mormons are the largest denomination, and is the official state religion. Members of CHC (City Harvest Church) - do they consider themselves a cult? Are they? Or are they Christians?

Cheers!

Yes, CHC is also a cult and also the church whose founded by Joseph Prince.

If you want to know more about Christianity, just goggle and search or go to youtube for videos on its teachings.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
CHC stands for City Harvest Church, not City Harvest Cult. You may have your views on the, but the organization was formally registered as a Church. I am not a follower nor a supporter of CHC, but its members see themselves as Christians, and the nation's authorities also treat them as a religious organization. If they were a cult, the movement would have been outlawed.

Cheers!

Yes, CHC is also a cult and also the church whose founded by Joseph Prince.............

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
CHC stands for City Harvest Church, not City Harvest Cult. You may have your views on the, but the organization was formally registered as a Church. I am not a follower nor a supporter of CHC, but its members see themselves as Christians, and the nation's authorities also treat them as a religious organization. If they were a cult, the movement would have been outlawed.

Cheers!

No so. The Mormons are also a cult with a church in Singapore.

Christian cults are those that deviate from the core beliefs as recited by Christians in the Apostles or Nicene Creed.

CHC and the New Creation Church, started by Joseph Prince are what is called the "Word Of Faith" movement, which apparently started in USA. The preachers of this movement teach the "Prosperity Gospel" or "Health & Wealth Gospel".

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Going by that description, I agree then that they are cults.

Cheers!

No so. The Mormons are also a cult with a church in Singapore.

Christian cults are those that deviate from the core beliefs as recited by Christians in the Apostles or Nicene Creed.

CHC and the New Creation Church, started by Joseph Prince are what is called the "Word Of Faith" movement, which apparently started in USA. The preachers of this movement teach the "Prosperity Gospel" or "Health & Wealth Gospel".

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Going by that description, I agree then that they are cults.

Cheers!

Thanks for your agreement.

Below are 2 videos to share with you and others, one on the Mormons & the Prosperity Gospel:

What Mormons Really Believe

Uploaded on Oct 30, 2008
From www.americanfilm.com

I can't believe CA, the USA, and the WORLD is going to let this group of wackos write their beliefs into the constitution.

The CA state constitution does NOT prevent mormons from being mormon, and never will because church and state are separate. Prop 8, however, WILL prevent hundreds of thousands of citizens from their rights guaranteed by the constitution by REMOVING THEM.

That makes no sense.

Kinda like this crazy religion makes no sense.

Prosperity Gospel

Published on Aug 9, 2012

The Prosperity Gospel Message by Dr Paul Choo.

Last edited:

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
This video is about Joseph Prince:

Joseph Prince and the CULT of Marcionism.Exposed

Published on May 8, 2015

"Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness."

1 John 3:4

Joseph Prince and the Cult Of Marcion 144 AD

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the videos and information. Strange and bizarre as they may be, I do not wish to negate any religion (or cult) even though I myself do not see any logic, sense, or direction in them. If someone finds solace and happiness in whatever they choose to belief or worship, it is their choice. So long as they do not impose their beliefs/practices on others, and do not harm/disrupt society around them. Today, we live in a pluralistic society that is bombarded with information/news/propaganda/advertisements constantly, its hard to keep up with all that is happening. Some find peace of mind through religion, and to me, there is nothing wrong with that.

BTW, I watched in History Channel, that Utah, the stronghold of the Mormon church was rather late in being allowed to join the United States because of their polygamous lifestyle, while the rest of the Christians in the nation were monogamous.

Cheers!

..............Below are 2 videos to share with you and others, one on the Mormons & the Prosperity Gospel:......

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the videos and information. Strange and bizarre as they may be, I do not wish to negate any religion (or cult) even though I myself do not see any logic, sense, or direction in them. If someone finds solace and happiness in whatever they choose to belief or worship, it is their choice. So long as they do not impose their beliefs/practices on others, and do not harm/disrupt society around them. Today, we live in a pluralistic society that is bombarded with information/news/propaganda/advertisements constantly, its hard to keep up with all that is happening. Some find peace of mind through religion, and to me, there is nothing wrong with that.

BTW, I watched in History Channel, that Utah, the stronghold of the Mormon church was rather late in being allowed to join the United States because of their polygamous lifestyle, while the rest of the Christians in the nation were monogamous.

Cheers!

Well, it's your choice and your life; that goes for everybody else in the world.

IMHO, many people do not want to think seriously about death and the afterlife until it's too late.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
People do think about death, just that, we can't do anything about it. Everyone must die, eventually. So while we're alive, we do the best we can. We are not in control of what happens after that. (Or even know what will happen). And it is only natural to fear the unknown.

Cheers!

.....................IMHO, many people do not want to think seriously about death and the afterlife until it's too late.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
People do think about death, just that, we can't do anything about it. Everyone must die, eventually. So while we're alive, we do the best we can. We are not in control of what happens after that. (Or even know what will happen). And it is only natural to fear the unknown.

Cheers!

I beg to differ. Actually , you can do something about life and death. Everybody has the power of choice.

We all know and agree that life on earth is only temporary. But your spirit will live on in eternity after life on earth.. And what will happen to you after death is much more important than will happen to you in this earthly life.

I believe that if you were to earnestly search for spiritual truth, God will find you.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk to your life insurance agent about this. S/he can help!

Cheers!

Life insurance would only financially benefit the bereaved of the deceased.

The dead person have to contend with the afterlife which had been decided by his choice to believe in Jesus Christ or not.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The "afterlife" only exists in some of our thoughts. So far, there is no evidence that it actually exists (or that we have souls.)

Cheers!

................The dead person have to contend with the afterlife which had been decided by his choice to believe in Jesus Christ or not.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. We each have our own opinion on what happens after we die. But, based on available evidence, the "concept" of a soul, is merely a concept, one that provides comfort to us that all is not lost after we die, that we may be reunited with loved ones who have passed on earlier. That memories and relationships formed during our living years not just vanish and disappear with death. But this is all so far, just a thought, to soften the harshness of life and death, to bring comfort to us. But todate, there is no proof of our souls' existence. We all have our thought on this, but no one knows this as a fact.

Cheers!

You are entitled to your beliefs as I am to mine.