• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shall I move this forum to discourse?

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
damn.. i knew it....
mircosoft and yingyang are actually barney and baby bop in disguise..:mad: :biggrin:

barney_and_baby_bop_in_farm_clothes_by_bestbarneyfan-d7u5n4a.jpg

Yes because I am old school and the ones that have remained here think the same way I do. :biggrin:

We're dinosaurs ...

Onitsuka

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes it was a mistake for me to implement it here. It works well in the other forum but here it caused more problems than it was worth in this environment because I misjudged how it would be used by the senior members.

So the shit-stirrers and dictators who paid good money can no longer bully the newbies in the new forum ?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no please,the only reason i like this forum among all the other SG forums out there is there is literally no rules and u can say whatever u want and curse and swear whatever u want,no holds barred.u can discuss and talk about the most controversial and sensitive and racist and prejudice topics without some dickhead mods breathing down ur neck about whats socially acceptable "right" or "wrong" and babysit the forum.the culture is one of a kind and the community grown up enough to handle the topics and trolling and cyberbullying.

if u join some 3rd party forum pretty soon we are going have to follow some dickhead 3rd party rules and if u go mainstream pretty soon we gonna have to
ban every kind of offensive talk and cater to the lowest common denominator retards and babysit the kiddos.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
if u join some 3rd party forum pretty soon we are going have to follow some dickhead 3rd party rules and if u go mainstream pretty soon we gonna have to
ban every kind of offensive talk and cater to the lowest common denominator retards and babysit the kiddos.

I'm not joining any 3rd party forum I'm intending to import the database into Discourse. When you log in to sammyboy.com you will see the discourse front end instead of the vbulletin front end.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Discourse is an open source Internet forum software application founded in 2013 by Jeff Atwood, Robin Ward, and Sam Saffron.[SUP][2][/SUP] Discourse received funding from First Round Capital and Greylock.[SUP][3]
[/SUP]

From a usability perspective, Discourse breaks with existing forum software by including features recently popularized by large social networks, such as infinite scrolling, live updates, oneboxing, expanding links, and drag and drop attachments.[SUP][4][/SUP] However, the stated goals of the project are social rather than technical, to improve online discussion quality through improved forum software.

The application is written in JavaScript and Ruby on Rails,[SUP][5][/SUP] and is released under the GNU General Public License version 2. PostgreSQL is the supported database management system. It also uses the Ember.js framework .[SUP][6][/SUP]

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
One of the big pluses that I can see is the fact that it brings back the Delphi feature that everyone missed myself included and that is notification whenever someone replies to your message.

In fact it goes a step further and you'll be notified even if you are mentioned in another post so if someone fucks you upside down you will know about it straight away. :biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
In fact it goes a step further and you'll be notified even if you are mentioned in another post so if someone fucks you upside down you will know about it straight away. :biggrin:

I like that! A lot of dinosaurs will be resurrected!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no please,the only reason i like this forum among all the other SG forums out there is there is literally no rules and u can say whatever u want and curse and swear whatever u want,no holds barred.u can discuss and talk about the most controversial and sensitive and racist and prejudice topics without some dickhead mods breathing down ur neck about whats socially acceptable "right" or "wrong" and babysit the forum.the culture is one of a kind and the community grown up enough to handle the topics and trolling and cyberbullying.

Nigger he's talking about changing the forum format he's not talking about changing the forum into another forum.

I'm not joining any 3rd party forum I'm intending to import the database into Discourse. When you log in to sammyboy.com you will see the discourse front end instead of the vbulletin front end.

He's not exactly the brightest here.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want the forum to move with the times. Any suggestions?

then do it. I don't mind. I can easily pick up new stuff and get used to them that's why i upgraded to windows 10 and use it without a hitch from win8.1 and also use OSX while ppl were bitching and moaning on the forum on how they cannot adapt to the new format.

The issue here is that there will be people that don't want to change cos they are so used to vbulletin and you started this thread to get feedback but my grouse is that you won't actually listen to such feedback and will just do what you intended to do which is to change it to discourse in which case even starting this thread would be totally pointless. Why not just start a poll and ask who wants a change or stay the same and you just follow the one with the higher votes.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you think its better for mobile, just change it one day without informing the users.

surprise them! it will be fun! :biggrin:

singaporeans are highly adaptable!

kena screwed by PAP daily still give them the mandate!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the big pluses that I can see is the fact that it brings back the Delphi feature that everyone missed myself included and that is notification whenever someone replies to your message.

Great - I actually wanted to ask about this. Reply notification is one of the most underrated forum features which saves the reader time and energy looking for responses.

A couple of questions:

1. If you are replacing the forum software with legacy data intact, will you go any data cleanup? For instance, what's your plan for old/inactive user IDs, old posts etc..?

2. If this goes ahead, what's the expected date?

3. I fail to see how the software's promise to have "trash cans at every corner" can make forummers more civilisted... Like the infract system, it has to be managed properly or risk be open for abuse again...

We're civilized.

Our trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers — and the most engaged community members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Great - I actually wanted to ask about this. Reply notification is one of the most underrated forum features which saves the reader time and energy looking for responses.

A couple of questions:

1. If you are replacing the forum software with legacy data intact, will you go any data cleanup? For instance, what's your plan for old/inactive user IDs, old posts etc..?

2. If this goes ahead, what's the expected date?

3. I fail to see how the software's promise to have "trash cans at every corner" can make forummers more civilisted... Like the infract system, it has to be managed properly or risk be open for abuse again...

I'll transfer the whole database lock, stock and barrel as that is the easiest way to do it. The size of the database is not an issue so there is no need to attempt to shrink it.

No target date. However once I decide to do it I'll get my tech guy to start working on the transfer behind the scenes.

I have no idea how this "trash cans in every corner" works. It could be open to abuse just as every system on earth is open to abuse. We'll just have to see how it works and take measures to minimise any downsides.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no idea how this "trash cans in every corner" works. It could be open to abuse just as every system on earth is open to abuse. We'll just have to see how it works and take measures to minimise any downsides.

Thanks for explaining your intentions.

I just wanted to highlight the 1st paragraph of product description as misleading. No one should have any false expectation of the new software.. Postings by idiots and drama queens will still be around