• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shall I move this forum to discourse?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I would also like to warn everyone that discourse developers charge at least USD120 per hour so I may be begging for more money soon.

Discourse uses some weird programming script that I know nothing about called "Ruby".

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
8:35:54 AM [email protected] : Keep this in mind, though
8:36:06 AM [email protected] : and this is important, it is not something that can be changed later
8:36:16 AM [email protected] : that customization in Discourse is not like customization in vBulletin
8:36:21 AM [email protected] : it is more complex and more difficult to maintain
8:36:33 AM [email protected] : so in general Discourse is a good choice if you are OK with the basic package
8:36:43 AM [email protected] : the programming language it uses, Ruby, also leads to higher development costs
8:37:02 AM [email protected] : very difficult to find good Ruby coders below 120 USD per hour - there are, but not very reliable

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You have a roll back contingency plan right?

I'll import the database into discourse and take it from there. However, I doubt very much if there will be a fallback because if the discourse forum dies and I go back to vbulletin, the threads will all be out of date and I doubt very much if the membership will have the inclination to get things moving again.

This forum will remain during the transition period.. (unlike Delphi where I closed it)

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
sounds like support is going to be an issue. Better think twice.

Support for vbulletin during the early days was an issue too. However as the platform became more popular development costs dropped.

Discourse is open source so I'm hoping that there'll be sufficient freebies out there to keep things going.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Discourse is open source so ...
That's crucial difference actually.. being open sourced the product has no obligation to provide feature requests or even fixes. Unless your other shady ventures might be going on Discourse (and then you can hire and train a Ruby coder), you risk being held at ransom by this platform. Just my 2 cents

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That's crucial difference actually.. being open sourced the product has no obligation to provide feature requests or even fixes. Unless your other shady ventures might be going on Discourse (and then you can hire and train a Ruby coder), you risk being held at ransom by this platform. Just my 2 cents

The same thing has happened with vbulletin which is a paid product so at the end of the day the risk is always there. There was a revolt within vbulletin and it has been left in tatters. Xenforo is what vbulletin should be today.

Discourse is like wordpress and joomla. They take on a life of their own and who knows where that will lead to. :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
have you found alternatives yet to lack of ftp and ssh for remote login and file transfers?

I have done some research and I'm going with www.digitalocean.com which provides ssh remote log in.

However from what I can see the concept of FTP is outdated in this new era of cloud based hosting because there is no one server to upload files to. Assets for the forum will have to be in the forum database itself eg loaded into a thread.

The transfer of the database is going to take at least 2 to 3 days so it's early days yet.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have done some research and I'm going with www.digitalocean.com which provides ssh remote log in.

However from what I can see the concept of FTP is outdated in this new era of cloud based hosting because there is no one server to upload files to. Assets for the forum will have to be in the forum database itself eg loaded into a thread.

The transfer of the database is going to take at least 2 to 3 days so it's early days yet.

thanks! i've signed up with digitalocean and have to get used to it. :biggrin:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The forum database is simply too big. The import keeps stalling and is taking forever.

It looks like we are stuck with vbulletin.

I could use the discourse hosting account to start something new but I've pretty much lost the motivation and it would be an uphill battle in this day and age to start with a clean slate.

Sorry guys. Back to the drawing board.

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
The forum database is simply too big. The import keeps stalling and is taking forever.

It looks like we are stuck with vbulletin.

I could use the discourse hosting account to start something new but I've pretty much lost the motivation and it would be an uphill battle in this day and age to start with a clean slate.

Sorry guys. Back to the drawing board.

Too many harimau boliao threads !