• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shall I move this forum to discourse?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
What is Discourse?

Discourse is the 100% open source discussion platform built for the next decade of the Internet. It works as:

• a mailing list
  • a discussion forum
  • a long-form chat room

What's different about it?

Discourse is a from-scratch reboot, an attempt to reimagine what a modern Internet discussion platform should be today, in a world of ubiquitous smartphones, tablets, Facebook, and Twitter.

We're civilized.

Our trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers — and the most engaged community members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse.

Uncompromisingly open source.

There is only one version of Discoursethe awesome open source version. There's no super secret special paid commercial version with better or more complete features. Because Discourse is 100% open source, now and forever, it belongs to you as much as it belongs to us. That's how community works.

Everything that most communities would want is included out of the box; a giant collection of complex plugins should not be required to have a great experience.

Simple. Modern. Fun.

Discourse pares all the complexity away and puts just the essential stuff on screen – the conversations you care most about, based on your participation.

All the modern amenities you'd expect from a big social website like Twitter or Facebook are present in Discourse. Mention someone by @name. Paste in a link or an image, and we make it awesome on your behalf. Simple quoting and linking of replies and topics. Reply wherever you are, online or via email.
And it "just works" on your phone and tablet.

No, seriously, what's different about it?

See our full feature set and you'll discover amazing features you and your community will love.
Better yet, play with Discourse in the sandbox at try.discourse.org – or check out one of our live customer sites:

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
i think this is the way to go .. while BBS is not going to be obsolete anytime soon.. discourse type of software will be the de facto standard
we need to look to the future.

however there are afew problem with open source program, u need one that is stable and well supported for the long term.
i have seen a few abandoned open source project in the past few years... some had the potential to be very good...what a shame..

the following get a ticks from me..

Single Sign On

Seamlessly integrate Discourse with your existing site's login system

Social Login

Easily add Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, GitHub, and other common social logins.

Anonymous Posting

Enable anonymous posting mode and your users can easily switch to anonymous mode to post about controversial, dangerous, or political issues without fear.

Mobile and Tablet

Designed for touch devices from day one. Automatic mobile and touch layouts that scale to fit your device.

Optimized for Reading

To keep reading, just keep scrolling. When you reach the bottom, suggested topics keep you reading.

What is Discourse?

Discourse is the 100% open source discussion platform built for the next decade of the Internet. It works as:

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nuts with people already complaining when it automatically loads up the mobile version on their cell phones the number will increase exponentially because i am sure the interface will change and it won't look like the forum presently there will be new features etc added in. I also bet the majority probably won't know what you are even talking about and not to mention you probably would change or keep things the same way ignoring our feedback.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
excep a handful, all here cannot c lite 1 ...

main course is whether members can ezily b sexposed in a discourse ...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The problem with vbulletin is that it is stuck in the past and is not suitable for the mobile age

I can fiddle here and there with mobile skins and apps but it does not solve the fundamental problem which is the fact that the foundation of the forum is past its use by date.

The web has changed drastically over the past decade. I either move with the times or call it a day. Doing nothing is no fun.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
excep a handful, all here cannot c lite 1 ...

main course is whether members can ezily b sexposed in a discourse ...

Does it really matter anymore? It seems that it doesn't.

sammyboy thrived in the past thanks to the anonymity. However it is not growing because the new generation don't care about hiding themselves behind a moniker.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does it really matter anymore? It seems that it doesn't.

sammyboy thrived in the past thanks to the anonymity. However it is not growing because the new generation don't care about hiding themselves behind a moniker.

You still hide behind one? Don't you?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You still hide behind one? Don't you?

Yes because I am old school and the ones that have remained here think the same way I do. :biggrin:

We're dinosaurs ... relics from the soc.culture.singapore era. Delphi was a step up from usenet and vbulletin took it to the next level.

I either do something or retire gracefully. I'm bored with the status quo.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes because I am old school and the ones that have remained here think the same way I do. :biggrin:

We're dinosaurs ... relics from the soc.culture.singapore era. Delphi was a step up from usenet and vbulletin took it to the next level.

so will you do it? I mean since when have you ever listened to our feedback?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Most people are "old school" here as well. You'll be alienating your existing user base if anonymity is not ensured in the new system. Personally, I say go for it.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want the forum to move with the times. Any suggestions?

to move with times, I suggested before you will need to think of ways to attract the foreign thrash, and also more Claire.
Currently encircling the forum are only the sinkie losers.
Once the FTs are attracted, it will be a fun forum.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Does that mean we need to register again?

No I would do an import of the database so the membership would be imported along with all the relevant data.

However vbulletin specific features would be gone... ie rep system... promotion to infP etc would be discarded. Everyone would start over on an even playing field.

The loyal sponsors like froggy and and many others who have contributed $$$$$ to help keep this place going would have to be catered for in some way.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
rep system and infP is a waste of time. Just distract people most of the time.

No I would do an import of the database so the membership would be imported along with all the relevant data.

However vbulletin specific features would be gone... ie rep system... promotion to infP etc would be discarded. Everyone would start over on an even playing field.

The loyal sponsors like froggy and and many others who have contributed $$$$$ to help keep this place going would have to be catered for in some way.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
rep system and infP is a waste of time. Just distract people most of the time.

Yes it was a mistake for me to implement it here. It works well in the other forum but here it caused more problems than it was worth in this environment because I misjudged how it would be used by the senior members.