• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

stay condo vs house

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
What r the pros n cons

For me it is the experience. Never lived in a landed house before, so when have the chance to do so, was "wow!"

Step outside can have car parked there. No need to take lift down and walk a distance to multistory car park. Also free parking lah. Can play with auto-gate (still think it is cool to press button and see gate opening when approaching house). Can run up and down the staircase for double-storey house. Of course if you stay penthouse condo this is not much different. Mine is 3 storeys so I don't usually run up the 3rd floor, old liao. :p For those who like animals, can have dog in car porch without having animal beast smell inside house. Car porch can also use as open air store room.:p If have plot of land, can also farm your own vegetables. LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If really wanted to buy condo, buy one that facing sea view. Best Feng Shui!

That's why my friend recently jio me to buy Green Haven at Permas Jaya facing the sea (though not really sea but Sembawang LOL!) but I told him I broke liao.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's why my friend recently jio me to buy Green Haven at Permas Jaya facing the sea (though not really sea but Sembawang LOL!) but I told him I broke liao.

Facing Seba Wang can be considered facing sea and call sea view? It's a bloody con job.

Good thing you are broke.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely condo for me and reasons for re-locating to Johor Baru in the future.

1. For slightly bigger breathing space than space-tight Singapore, opting out to live like digits in a mega city everyday... etc. Tokyo..unforgivable!
2.I like to keep things intentionally simple, sleek and completely easy to manage. condo is the way to go.
3. not too large so that I can live with only the things I really need, and for my family too. and definitely engaging part-time maid agency to do cleaning.
4. safer so that it i can go on frequent overseas tour without much worry.
5. close to Singapore so that i can drop things at a whim to visit parents and friends, in addition lugging stuff that i can only buy in Singapore.
6. close to Singapore so that family and friends can visit me and stay over at a whim too.. to enjoy/ to breath.. to forget their stress.
7. close to Singapore so that i can still work in Singapore. Why? cos I love my workplace.. brings meaning to my life and to society.
8. better lifestyle so that I don't have to count pennies everyday.
9. choice to retire early should i get frustrated with life sooner than expected.
10. for once, living in a different environment.. not always a sheltered life. I like Singapore but I like change once in a while too...brings excitement!
11. Be in a better financial position to continually own a Singapore car.

tots for the day!

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Definitely condo for me and reasons for re-locating to Johor Baru in the future.

1. For slightly bigger breathing space than space-tight Singapore, opting out to live like digits in a mega city everyday... etc. Tokyo..unforgivable!
2.I like to keep things intentionally simple, sleek and completely easy to manage. condo is the way to go.
3. not too large so that I can live with only the things I really need, and for my family too. and definitely engaging part-time maid agency to do cleaning.
5. close to Singapore so that i can drop things at a whim to visit parents and friends, in addition lugging stuff that i can only buy in Singapore.
6. close to Singapore so that family and friends can visit me and stay over at a whim too.. to enjoy/ to breath.. to forget their stress.
7. close to Singapore so that i can still work in Singapore. Why? cos I love my workplace.. brings meaning to my life and to society.
9. choice to retire early should i get frustrated with life sooner than expected.
10. for once, living in a different environment.. not always a sheltered life. I like Singapore but I like change once in a while too...brings excitement!

tots for the day!

Glad to see someone new thinking of early retirement in JB like me...may I ask how old r u and r u married with kids? Do u intend to move there with your kids?

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad to see someone new thinking of early retirement in JB like me...may I ask how old r u and r u married with kids? Do u intend to move there with your kids?

A number of people think that living in JB is simply not a wise idea for Singaporean children- as commuting is stressful. I think there are some grains of truth to it. Should we care more about living a more comfortable life, then I believe we'll all try to adjust accordingly. we lose some but we gain some too. The only decent way is to move forward and treat every decision/mistake made as an invaluable experience - personal opinion.

Having said that, I am married but without kids, but also not young. Problem is I am definitely not in the best position to comment about bringing kids to live in JB... haha. But that does not mean, I would not have a child. When I do have a child, the child shall live in JB and travel to Singapore with me (to work)- as far as i can rationalized. I shall invite my in-laws to stay over often to care for their grandchild. The kid shall learn that this a norm.

Anw, the reason I want to stay in JB is that it is simply easier to pursue a happier life. I think a happier life = happier outlook = making healthier decisions about life. I love the notion of retiring or semi-retiring early just like you (: I love the idea of sipping tea in the afternoons, golfing, trekking, whipping up meals and going for daily gym classes...etc Hence, I look forward to the day I can obtain the keys to my condo unit and start living my own lifestyle - 1.5 years more to go. On days when I need to stay in Singapore for a while.. I'll "run" back to mummy's house in Singapore (: Mummy is always the best!

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal opinion. I'll choose to stay in condo instead of landed. I'm from JB and I grew up in a bungalow, yes it has it's perks but also tons of downside, biggest one is maintenance/upkeep. I'm in my late 20s, recently married, maybe having kids next year, I have no time to do maintenance on a home, def will get part time maid. For condo, I'll only got for luxury/high end larger units >1300sqf.

I work in Sg and my office hrs are flexible, can work from home if I want to and I travel overseas about 20% of my time. When I travel I need to know that everything is safe'ish and when I'm at home I need good amenities and a good environtment, i.e. Not condos that that have notorious management/maintenance. So while I want condo I'm also very selective of where and which type.

Why not in SG then? My installment will be 1/4 of what I pay now and for almost double the space, best thing is I get to eat my favourite foods all the time, enjoy cheaper Golf. My condo will be completed in 2017, can't wait. Sg is just too ex for me and landed just not realistic for my current situation.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Facing Seba Wang can be considered facing sea and call sea view? It's a bloody con job.

Good thing you are broke.

But in front my landed really got long kang about one car wide, so got water in front, when heavy rain is rapid flowing water. So I take it as water front view lor....got fishes also! LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

tots for the day!

Actually your reasons above are also applicable to landed properties which are guarded and gated with smaller footprint. Being smaller footprint or similar to condo would also mean less expensive than bigger landed properties. You can invest more in security features if this is your priority. Maybe employ Gurkha.:biggrin: