• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are the commemorative notes legal tender?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I received a letter that I am entitle to some free commemorative notes for SG50.

What I want to know is whether I can use these "commemorative" notes as cash or is it just for show:confused:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I received a letter that I am entitle to some free commemorative notes for SG50.

What I want to know is whether I can use these "commemorative" notes as cash or is it just for show:confused:

Burn and offer to AH GONG, after all it belongs to him.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such notes should never be used as cash!

They costs more than cash!

But you can sell them to collectors!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes, the are legal tender for the amount they are printed for & minted for, in the case of the coins.....that is, you can bring the notes to the currency board, or now Singapore Mint, they will exchange the legal tender of $10 for $10, $50 for the $50 to the current currency notes in circulation.

Our commemoratives notes, coins etc..have no value, even you collect them...you keep them too long, they start to age, goes mouldy or bad, or gets creased ....you go to the dealers to sell, they don't; want them & they do take them you either gets 10% more than the value or even face value....

Unless you have the time & effort to keep those you collect in airtight containers or special cupboards with dehumidifier not...like most of us keep our things...even in the safe deposit box....they do not command a good value..especially Singapore ones....unless they are GOLD or SILVER...not the plated stuff...

You bring to dealers...they all show you, that, they have plenty of stock of the ones you are selling....

The only ones are the gold coins that I collected in the past & made money, like I had said not the silver or gold plated ones...the REAL ones....I luckily bought a Singapore $150 gold coins, the 150 anniversary of the founding gold coin from a desperate woman, who wanted to deposit it into her Savings Account Outside a bank, for $150 I gave her on the spot...& that was about 30 years ago..... that gold coins, plus the various others, including the Royal Wedding etc...made a handsome profit when gold prices rose...

Other than than, the Singapore coins & commemorative notes....are of not much of a value or even investment....:p

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've kept buckets of 1975 50cts coins.
Back then this was the hot ticket item as it was runoured some gold were accidentally poured into this batch of coins during the minting process.
Back then even it was very hard to come by any coins made in 1975 as many kept them. I intend to leave it to my children after I pass on.
I've friends who kept the earliest Sg coins instead (dated year 1969).

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is like commemorative stamps; Sure you can use it, but you won't know if your letter will be delivered on time.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've kept buckets of 1975 50cts coins.
Back then this was the hot ticket item as it was runoured some gold were accidentally poured into this batch of coins during the minting process.
Back then even it was very hard to come by any coins made in 1975 as many kept them. I intend to leave it to my children after I pass on.
I've friends who kept the earliest Sg coins instead (dated year 1969).

By the time ur children grow up,one bowl of wanton mee is going to cost $10,im sure they arre going to appreciate the bucket of rusty junk u saved.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These commemorative notes are being given to all Sporeans so I doubt there is going to be a collectors market since they will be very common.

If they are legal tender then It is my intention is to use them as cash.

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,
Free commemorative boxes or the commemorative notes? :p:p:p

Free commemorative albums???

Not notes definitely...you think they so tua kang to give out money so freely at the cc without going through a bank account ????

Check your letter again, TS!!!

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
Free commemorative albums???

Not notes definitely...you think they so tua kang to give out money so freely at the cc without going through a bank account ????

Check your letter again, TS!!!

Yes you are right..

No way the stingy govt gives u cash in commemorative notes.
They will morph it in some GST credits. some fanciful names to confuse the peasants.

I have doubts in our books...just like the former president Ong Teng cheong.
I have doubts an electrical engineer can manage our books for over a decade in good order.

And over time, no one can suitably replace her.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The other day I just used the $10 sg50 commemorative notes to buy ciggy . But I combined it with normal $10 so that uncle did not noticed. I believe he will reject if he spotted it.

I have a few old sg collective coins $10 ship type that I cannot sell due to no box and unable to use nabei cb become a useless coin

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The other day I just used the $10 sg50 commemorative notes to buy ciggy . But I combined it with normal $10 so that uncle did not noticed. I believe he will reject if he spotted it.

I have a few old sg collective coins $10 ship type that I cannot sell due to no box and unable to use nabei cb become a useless coin

Can simply bank the notes into a bank account if you want avoid all the hassles.

jw5

Loyal
When you get your free commemorative folders (NOT notes), please check that there are no spelling mistakes. :biggrin:

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you get your free commemorative folders (NOT notes), please check that there are no spelling mistakes. :biggrin:

Yes, it is commemorative folders (empty inside, ok).

Spelling mistakes even better .... 50 years from now, if Singapore still around, these mistakes will be worth a fortune....hohhhhh say liao!!!! or will it.....:confused::confused::confused:

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal

johnny333 need more health food lah....................yes, folders only...............no money inside.................that's why I threw away the card immediately

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johnny333 need more health food lah....................yes, folders only...............no money inside.................that's why I threw away the card immediately

I just returned to Spore & when checking my mail was really surprised that the PAP would give us $$$ when the GE is over.

I'm leaving on another trip lah, just wanted to know if real money was involved. If not then I will ignore it for now. When one is away one get all kinds of junk mail:(

OrLanChowHorFun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just returned to Spore & when checking my mail was really surprised that the PAP would give us $$$ when the GE is over.

I'm leaving on another trip lah, just wanted to know if real money was involved. If not then I will ignore it for now. When one is away one get all kinds of junk mail:(

I'm sure a lot of old people will be cursing and swearing after they made empty trips to their CC...............thinking got money.........