• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Does SIA want to buy ALL Tiger shares & want to delist?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Singapore brands are doomed to fail,prime example sim wong hoos creative.sg companies are uncreative,uninnovative,boring and sterile,lack of balls unaggressive unwilling to expand overseas.the only ones that succeed are monopolies,govt supported or essential services like telecoms,transport and utilities or supermarkets.or supported by daft and stupid like breadtalk,old chang kee,koi.

Sim funded his company entirely by himself. If he had even 10% of the funding support from his own govt that they put into Temasek's losing businesses like ABC Learning ($552 million pissed away) etc. his company would be thriving. Unfortunately, the PAP cannot show that an independent smart businessman who is not a scholar general or a career politician can accomplish so much in a country where only PAP approved individuals are allowed to succeed.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Where does Scoot come in the picture?:confused:

Scoot is a long range LCC budget airline. I predict failure for it too. To my knowledge , not long range budget carrier has ever succeeded. And they already set them up with a high cost base by buying the Boeing 787.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scoot is a long range LCC budget airline. I predict failure for it too. To my knowledge , not long range budget carrier has ever succeeded. And they already set them up with a high cost base by buying the Boeing 787.

nobody buys except big liners.. they r all on lease.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.........generals running GLCs....cannot put together an entreprenuerial endeavour....private enterprise run by airline executives who know they will lose their jobs for sure if they let a disaster like Tiger Air......

As usual there is a lack of accountability. After the departure of Tony Davis in 2011 (due to the humiliating grounding in Australia), I have yet to hear of any member of Tiger Air management being sacked despite years of losses.
As outsiders we do not have the inside story, but observed that the decline coincided with the parachuting of generals and "foreign talents" into the SIA group.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think SQ is doing so well. Fares and all typically only breakeven for the business with its top heavy setup. The money maker was becoming a second hand plane seller when air travel was really picking up. However, the gravy train has passed and they made bad picks with A380.

With the global economy tanking, the premium airlines are all looking at flat or decreasing revenues. But people will still fly so maybe the Low end market may grow. But it's really clutching at straws!

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
With the global economy tanking, the premium airlines are all looking at flat or decreasing revenues. But people will still fly so maybe the Low end market may grow. But it's really clutching at straws!

I agree. A lot of the better paying fliers are actually people flying through company budget. When economy tank, the first to get cut will be T&E budget. These people will just not travel and will not switch to Low Cost Carrier.

With this in mind, usage of multi party conferrence call will pick up. Maybe it is time to invest in Skype

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now I am confused a premium airline buying a Budget airline - in terms of manage net philosophy there will be a confusion. I will say it's a bad move. Customers will perceive as SIA being downgrading their offering.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. A lot of the better paying fliers are actually people flying through company budget. When economy tank, the first to get cut will be T&E budget. These people will just not travel and will not switch to Low Cost Carrier.

With this in mind, usage of multi party conferrence call will pick up. Maybe it is time to invest in Skype
They will still fly. U can't fax a handshake and u certainly can't do a karaoke videoconference !!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
the price probably tank below it's nett asset. there is no reason why you would not fork some money to take it offline. moreover, it also affirm what SGX is.. the worst performing bourse in the world.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
As usual there is a lack of accountability. After the departure of Tony Davis in 2011 (due to the humiliating grounding in Australia), I have yet to hear of any member of Tiger Air management being sacked despite years of losses.
As outsiders we do not have the inside story, but observed that the decline coincided with the parachuting of generals and "foreign talents" into the SIA group.

The grounding of Tiger in Australia was a disaster. In one stroke the millions of $ spend to invest and develop Tiger Australia was wiped out. Every other airline in the world would have fired their CEO, if such a thing happened. We are outsiders here, and we do not know the true story. But Tiger was over 50% owned by SQ and 11% owned by Temasek, which makes them taxpayer funded enterprises. They should be accountable but some how under PAP, nothing ever is.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
the price probably tank below it's nett asset. there is no reason why you would not fork some money to take it offline. moreover, it also affirm what SGX is.. the worst performing bourse in the world.

Why is that a surprise to anyone? Its a bourse dominated by GLCs run by ex scholar generals. It would have been a minor miracle if they they could beat the DJIA.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
The grounding of Tiger in Australia was a disaster. In one stroke the millions of $ spend to invest and develop Tiger Australia was wiped out. Every other airline in the world would have fired their CEO, if such a thing happened. We are outsiders here, and we do not know the true story. But Tiger was over 50% owned by SQ and 11% owned by Temasek, which makes them taxpayer funded enterprises. They should be accountable but some how under PAP, nothing ever is.

No. That is not how state capitalism works. Temasek and its GLCs belong to the state. Taxpayers pay taxes to the state. You cannot say GLCs belong to you just because you pay taxes to the state.

I pay $10 for a bowl of good Bak Kut Teh, but does that mean I own the shophouse the uncle bought with his profits? Of course not. :cool:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sim funded his company entirely by himself. If he had even 10% of the funding support from his own govt that they put into Temasek's losing businesses like ABC Learning ($552 million pissed away) etc. his company would be thriving. Unfortunately, the PAP cannot show that an independent smart businessman who is not a scholar general or a career politician can accomplish so much in a country where only PAP approved individuals are allowed to succeed.

it may be impressive that he funded his company himself all $100k of it or whatever,whats more impressive is at his peak,his networth was worth over $1 billion(creative share was worth $60 and he had 3 ipos in USA and SG and raised hundreds of millions) and he managed to blew all of it away over the next 15 years.that is the mark of a world class businessman,i dunno which is more impressive,the fact that u funded ur own company with 100k or the fact u had 1 billion and manage to lose it all,last i check his networth was only 100 million in 2007 and since then creative had
12 consecutive quarters of losses,i doubt hes even worth a fraction of that now.bugger is not even rich enough to be in the list of top 50 richest singaporeans.and it wasnt even because he lost his fortune in a stock market crash or something,he just bled like a stuck pig over 15 years,destroying one of the biggest fortunes in Singapore history.this shows one can become the next bill gates and make one billion with a magic invention and proceed to lose it all by being a complete terrible fucktard businessman.if ever there was a darwin award of all time for business,sim wong hoo deserves it.

if any of my CEOS in my companies in my future conglomerate is as fucktarded as Sim Wong Hoo,i will not hesitate to send them off to the firing squad and not wait 15 years to do it.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No. That is not how state capitalism works. Temasek and its GLCs belong to the state. Taxpayers pay taxes to the state. You cannot say GLCs belong to you just because you pay taxes to the state.

I pay $10 for a bowl of good Bak Kut Teh, but does that mean I own the shophouse the uncle bought with his profits? Of course not. :cool:

what about the debts of the state?does that belong to the citizen?i suppose when times are good and singapore GLCs rake in billions of profit,the state property does not belong to the citizens,but when times are bad and Greece or Pakistan chalk up hundreds of billions in debt,that is the responsibility of the citizens i suppose?privatize the profit and socialize the debt?

Last edited:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
what about the debts of the state?does that belong to the citizen?i suppose when times are good and singapore GLCs rake in billions of profit,the state property does not belong to the citizens,but when times are bad and Greece or Pakistan chalk up hundreds of billions in debt,that is the responsibility of the citizens i suppose?privatize the profit and socialize the debt?

Mojito is right. The GLC belongs to the state hence listed as a private entity. It is not subjected to scrutiny like most agencies n in fact unlikely to hv it's account audited at all. No one will know it's actual losses nor benefit from its gain except for shareholders n bod.