• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Does SIA want to buy ALL Tiger shares & want to delist?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have all heard that Tiger Air is a terrible airlines. I'm surprised that they are still in business. So why is Temasek throwing away more money:confused:

Wouldn't it make more $ sense to just divest from Tiger Air?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it's for show only, tigerair is already a subsidiary of SIA before this takeover. with oil prices so cheap and they still losing money. SIA has to delist it or else they may suffer more losses from their dip in share prices.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have all heard that Tiger Air is a terrible airlines. I'm surprised that they are still in business. So why is Temasek throwing away more money:confused:

i think tigerair is turning its operation around. they got rid of the deadwoods, unprofitable routes and the krisflyer points give to tigerair customers to redeem SIA tickets is a smart move. last quarter the tigerair ceo boldy claim tigerair can show profit this financial year. So just as the airline about to really take off, the SIA offer of $0.41 cents is too low considering tigerair shareholders suffer great loss from $1.50 IPO price to current price. Don't forget tigerair shares got diluted by rights issue and we know who brought the most at $0.20. Shareholders bear the losses while SIA want to reap the reward.:oIo:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As long as you stay away from sinkieland airline, it will be fine.. Like me, I always take Cathays Pacific and Thai airways. My life is a joy.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i think tigerair is turning its operation around. they got rid of the deadwoods, unprofitable routes and the krisflyer points give to tigerair customers to redeem SIA tickets is a smart move. last quarter the tigerair ceo boldy claim tigerair can show profit this financial year. So just as the airline about to really take off, the SIA offer of $0.41 cents is too low considering tigerair shareholders suffer great loss from $1.50 IPO price to current price. Don't forget tigerair shares got diluted by rights issue and we know who brought the most at $0.20. Shareholders bear the losses while SIA want to reap the reward.:oIo:

The original SIA investment in Tiger Air and even the Temasek investment, plus the other 2 partners Indigo and Ryan have already been wiped off the books. The money they put in to start it up has been eaten up by the accumulated losses thru the last 11 years as well as by the serious poor stock performance. Rights issues was just the owners pumping in more money to prop up the company. The real tragedy was the fact that SQ and the other investors suckered in institutions and private individuals to buy their craps shares and spread some of the losses to them. Low Cost Carriers (LCCs) are notoriously hard to make money.

SQ is taking Tiger Air private to eventually get out of the LCC business in Asia. They know Tiger cannot compete with Air Asia and Jetstar and Valuair. Eventually, if Tiger was left alone, they will go bankrupt. The closure will be a huge prestige and reputation blow to Temasek and SQ. Once Tiger has been absorbed back into SQ, you will see the brand quietly get phased out. That is my guess. They will not let a money losing Tiger air drag down the parent company share price.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The original SIA investment in Tiger Air and even the Temasek investment, plus the other 2 partners Indigo and Ryan have already been wiped off the books. The money they put in to start it up has been eaten up by the accumulated losses thru the last 11 years as well as by the serious poor stock performance. Rights issues was just the owners pumping in more money to prop up the company. The real tragedy was the fact that SQ and the other investors suckered in institutions and private individuals to buy their craps shares and spread some of the losses to them. Low Cost Carriers (LCCs) are notoriously hard to make money.

SQ is taking Tiger Air private to eventually get out of the LCC business in Asia. They know Tiger cannot compete with Air Asia and Jetstar and Valuair. Eventually, if Tiger was left alone, they will go bankrupt. The closure will be a huge prestige and reputation blow to Temasek and SQ. Once Tiger has been absorbed back into SQ, you will see the brand quietly get phased out. That is my guess. They will not let a money losing Tiger air drag down the parent company share price.

The money comes from sinkies' CPF.. Whahahaha.. I always have the last laugh at the stupidity of Sinkies.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
If you want to see how to do a Low Cost Carrier (LCC) business concept correctly, just look at Jetstar and compare and contrast with Tiger. History has once again shown that generals running GLCs like SQ and Whore Jinxes running Temasek cannot put together an entreprenuerial endeavour like a LCC. Look at Qantas who started in 2003 budget airline Jetstar and SQ who started Tiger Air in 2004. And look at where they are today. Jetstar is doing well, I fly it all the time and am happy with the service. Qantas is a private enterprise run by airline executives who know they will lose their jobs for sure if they let a disaster like Tiger Air go from $1.50 a share to 30cents. SQ is a GLC run by ex SAF generals like Beh Soo Kiang who will never be fired even if he presided over 10 Tiger air fiascos.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing new. Temasek always goes against what my great grand mother (bless her soul) always say to buy low-sell high.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore brands are doomed to fail,prime example sim wong hoos creative.sg companies are uncreative,uninnovative,boring and sterile,lack of balls unaggressive unwilling to expand overseas.the only ones that succeed are monopolies,govt supported or essential services like telecoms,transport and utilities or supermarkets.or supported by daft and stupid like breadtalk,old chang kee,koi.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Wouldn't it make more $ sense to just divest from Tiger Air?
u sel ... there muz b a buyer ... who wans? ...

ownself buy back can save face ... rite hand moni in2 left hand pocket ... oni peasantz moni lose out ...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If SIA is really getting out of LCC business then why they started scoot?
I think this is another going to fail venture

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Where does Scoot come in the picture?:confused:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SQ and silkair provide premium services while scoot and tigerair provide low cost long and short haul respectively.

I know some of u here don't like GLC but please be objective.

Last edited:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please forgo shitair and rename tiger airways as thaigirl airways.... sure boom town charles. fare to be same as geylang cat 40 of cos

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SQ and silkair provide premium services while scoot and tigerair provide low cost long and short haul respectively.

GLC can't compete without the government's help. They get cheap money, monopolies in sinkapore ...outside, they lose money and fail. What good is there in GLC?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I've taken a look at Scoot but never tried them because their scheduling is quite limited.

As for Tiger Air, I did try them initially until I encountered a problem with their online booking system. I took the trouble to inform them of the problems I encountered but they did not fix the problem. It was easier to just go with AirAsia.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Because its premium business is going to suffer a tsunamic shock next year when one of its A330 crashes at Changi. The writing is on the wall.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

To reduce the need to pay dividend? Or to prevent stakeholders over-sight?

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Because its premium business is going to suffer a tsunamic shock next year when one of its A330 crashes at Changi. The writing is on the wall.

I dont think SQ is doing so well. Fares and all typically only breakeven for the business with its top heavy setup. The money maker was becoming a second hand plane seller when air travel was really picking up. However, the gravy train has passed and they made bad picks with A380.