• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Education must equip people to thrive in the workforce of the future: Tony Tan

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE - Singapore's education system must evolve to equip students with technological competencies to thrive in the workforce of the future, President Tony Tan Keng Yam said on Thursday .

"Technology will play an even more prominent role in our lives and create new ways of working and living," he said.

He was speaking at the launch of the inaugural Nobel Prize Series at Nanyang Technological University (NTU).

The series, the first of its kind, was set up to bring together experts to deliberate on critical issues that may arise in future.

Dr Tan said that, besides technological advances that will transform societies on a larger scale than before, the challenges of the future will become more complex.

He said: "Apart from technical knowledge and skills, the education system must prepare students to tackle social and ethical issues that arise as technological advances enable humankind to do more".

He highlighted the theme of the series - The Future of Learning - as a timely reminder that Singapore has to continue building on its education system totake its people through the next fifty years.

He noted that education has been a pillar of Singapore's success in the past 50 years, and will continue to be so in the future.

He added: "As a small island with no natural resources, Singapore has always focused our efforts in developing on our only resource, our people.

"Our investments in education have provided Singaporeans with the skills and capabilities to succeed and prosper, and to support Singapore's economic development."

Nobel laureates, world-leading scientists, policymakers and thought leaders gathered at NTU for Thursday's conference, at which speakers from different fields offered insights into what the future of learning holds.

Besides the conference, the series, produced by Nobel Media and the Nobel Museum in partnership with NTU, will also feature four public lectures by five Nobel laureates - Professor Wole Soyinka, Sir James Mirrlees, Sir Harold Walter Kroto, Professor Ada Yonath and Professor Stefan Hell - as well as an exhibition detailing the history of the Nobel Prize.

Compared with previous Nobel- related events in Singapore, which tended to focus on physics, chemistry and medicine, this series offers a broader scope of topics including literature and economics.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...workforce-of-the-future-president#xtor=CS1-10

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this kfc is speaking thru his arsehole, all his life has been taken care of, now advise others to work harder.:oIo:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let me take a shot at giving advice....

Singaporeans must keep improving work skills to ensure relevancy in a fast globalizing economy.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
more important and relevant for me is should i settle for a 100-microsecond frame delay variation or should i go for 1.5 microseconds of jitter when i try to sync with mothership. :confused:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha. Funny lah this little man. Literature can get what job? Poet? Maybe PMO want to hire someone write all his reports in limericks? :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone can give advice lah.

My advice is to get rid of the overpaid non-performers in the civil service. Just imagine the $$$$ that could be saved:wink::eek:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi there

1. Sell me something new and refreshing, whitehaired.
2. Get your copywriter to ape some new :kma:

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It takes something special to be great !

bill Gates.jpg

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Always claim to have " world class" universities. How come these "world class" institutions cannot solve problems like train breakdowns, hospitals overcrowding, hepatitis outbreaks, dengue epidemics, haze ect2, -not to mention not producing a single invention of note. Even South pacific university graduates can get a job against these world class degree holders-makes South Pacific University Premier World Class?