• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Investor sues DBS over option advice

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She claims bank misled her into buying 'useless' options to protect margin positions

A Singapore businesswoman, who lost US$6 million (S$8.4 million) in forex trades, has sued DBS Bank, seeking to restore her accounts to their levels before the bank closed out her trading positions.

Ms Florence Suryawan, 53, alleges that the bank had misled her into buying options meant to protect her against volatile forex markets.

These options, which work like insurance, turned out to be "useless" for hedging her investments.

In September 2011, the falling Australian dollar caused Ms Suryawan, who was acquiring the currency through structured products known as accumulators, to suffer massive losses.

After DBS closed out her positions, the total balance of her accounts with the bank fell from US$6.2 million to about US$410,000.

But the bank says it was not responsible, contending that Ms Suryawan was a sophisticated and experienced investor who relied on her own judgment in deciding to buy the options.

A hearing into the lawsuit started in the High Court yesterday.

Ms Suryawan has diverse business experience, from manufacturing to digital media.

A private banking customer of DBS, she accepted its offer of a margin trading facility with a limit of US$50 million in August 2008. By the end of that year, forex trading became her full-time pursuit.

In 2010, she started investing in accumulators, "buying" the Australian dollar at regular intervals below the prevailing market price for a fixed period of time. If the price rose within a certain range, she would make a profit, but a price drop could lead to huge losses.

Between August and September 2011, as the market was volatile, she bought nine options from DBS. She said the bank's employees described them as insurance to protect her margin positions.

On Sept 22, when an employee called her about her falling margin level, she reminded him of the options and was "astonished" when he replied that the ones she bought did not protect her.

Ms Suryawan said she was dazed that the bank unwound and closed her positions after the phone call.

Her lawyer, Mr Nicholas Narayanan, argued that DBS was negligent in advising her about the options, and made false representations about the protection offered.

He also argued that DBS was not entitled to close out her positions as she did not make a valid margin call on Sept 22.

But Senior Counsel Ang Cheng Hock, for DBS, contends that she understood how the options worked and that the bank was not obliged to give investment advice.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/investor-sues-dbs-over-option-advice#xtor=CS1-10

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
amazing people still don't know all these investment and private bankers at those big banks are just scammers...............big banks are deliberately doing this to con their clients...........

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DBS again. Why am I not surprised:biggrin:

Never heard anything positive about this bank. Probably a foreigner who's learning about GLCs & their honest mistakes.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I know many other Indonesian businessmen who like to play currency options. But not accumulators. If you play the traditional puts and calls, u can limit your losses. I think this Indonesian women got taken. She probably thought she can make some money on options trading like the other Indons. But DBS would be the last company I would use to trade.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
DBS again. Why am I not surprised:biggrin:

Never heard anything positive about this bank. Probably a foreigner who's learning about GLCs & their honest mistakes.

You have to look at who is the CEO of DBS bank. That should answer a lot of questions.

In any case, if you want to hedge a forex position using options, you have to know what strike price to buy and how to strike a balance between option premium and protection. I'm guessing this woman either bought cheap out of the money options that failed to protect against the price decline, or her options were too close to expiry to serve any useful purpose.

Got $50 million trading account but don't even understand the basics of options. She deserves every bit of it.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
She did not complain when making money.
Next time, must read the terms and conditions properly. These bankers only interested in roping clients for commission.the more she loses, the more commission the sale person gets.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“You have succeeded in life when all you really WANT is only what you really NEED.”
Vernon Howard

I have yet to see a bank lose a case like this in singapore.
Most people do not fully read or understand the documentation they sign for the bank-just as they do not fully read on /understand the financial derivatives they trade in.
If it is so simple, all these fellas working in the banks will be billionaires trading on their own account- instead of hawking these products(for fees) to customers.(taking all the risk)

Last edited:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... But Senior Counsel Ang Cheng Hock, for DBS, contends that she understood how the options worked and that the bank was not obliged to give investment advice ...
ya, man! ... got precedence in layman case ... she wen in wif her i's open ...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She did not complain when making money.
Next time, must read the terms and conditions properly. These bankers only interested in roping clients for commission.the more she loses, the more commission the sale person gets.

Keeping the hamsters on the Ferris wheel.....
A quote from wolf of Wall Street

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
You said it; no bank has ever lost a case like this in Singapore. That investor should try to have the case heard in other countries if possible.

I have yet to see a bank lose a case like this in singapore.
Most people do not fully read or understand the documentation they sign for the bank-just as they do not fully read on /understand the financial derivatives they trade in.
If it is so simple, all these fellas working in the banks will be billionaires trading on their own account- instead of hawking these products(for fees) to customers.(taking all the risk)