• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good news. Pap going to weaken SGD.

hbk75

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ase-as-currency-faces-rerun-of-97-asia-crisis

Singapore’s central bank is poised to ease monetary policy for the second time in 2015 in an effort to revive dwindling growth, economists predict.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore, which manages the economy through guiding the currency rather than setting interest rates, will boost stimulus when it meets Wednesday, according to 16 of 25 economists surveyed by Bloomberg. The remainder predict no move. The MAS eased policy at an unscheduled meeting in January, saying it would seek to slow the pace of the local dollar’s gains versus its trading partners. At the first of this year’s two scheduled meetings in April, it refrained from further action.
Singapore’s economic performance has worsened since the April gathering. Analysts forecast the nation entered a technical recession in the third quarter, while consumer prices dropped for a 10th month in August, the longest streak of declines since the Asian financial crisis. Analysts predict the currency is on course for its worst year since 1997.

“The MAS has to acknowledge the fact that things have panned out worse than they expected, both in terms of growth, led by external factors, and inflation domestically,” said Nizam Idris, head of currencies and fixed-income strategy at Macquarie Bank Ltd. in Singapore. “The current policy setting does not allow for further depreciation of the Singapore dollar.”
Currency Band

The Monetary Authority guides the local currency against an undisclosed basket and adjusts the pace of appreciation or depreciation by changing the slope, width and center of a band. It refrains from disclosing details of the basket, the band, and the pace of appreciation or depreciation.
Nine economists predict the central bank will lower the center of the band, allowing the Singapore dollar to weaken in the near term. Ten forecast it would reduce the slope, slowing the pace of the currency’s appreciation against the basket over time. Four expect the monetary authority will widen the band, tolerating increased volatility.
“With inflation below the long-term average and growth slowing, this suggests that MAS should be in a position to ease policy,” said Khoon Goh, a senior currency strategist at Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. “The easing that was done in January was a fairly modest one.”
The central bank will probably recenter its policy band to the prevailing rate, allowing the currency to weaken, he said.
Worst Year

Singapore’s dollar will decline to S$1.44 to the U.S. currency by year-end, according to the median estimate of a separate Bloomberg survey. That would translate into a loss of about 8 percent for the year, the worst annual performance since the currency tumbled 17 percent during the Asian crisis in 1997.

The local dollar was at S$1.4021 at 8:31 a.m. local time on Tuesday after depreciating to S$1.4366 on Oct. 2, the weakest level since September 2009.
Singapore’s export-dependent economy has been hurt by slowing growth in China, while uneven recoveries in the U.S. and Europe have damped demand for Asian goods.

Gross domestic product shrank 4 percent in the second quarter from the previous three months, the trade ministry said Aug. 11. GDP contracted 0.1 percent in the third quarter, according to a Bloomberg survey before the advance figures are released Wednesday. Consumer prices dropped 0.8 percent in August, the statistics department said Sept. 23.
‘Not Disastrous’

It will take more than a technical recession to convince the central bank to ease policy again, according to Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp.
The central bank is more concerned about “an outright recession, rather than a technical recession,” said Selena Ling, an analyst at OCBC in Singapore. The economy will still expand about 2 percent this year, she said.
“We still have about a more-than 50 percent chance of no move, mainly because I think the growth and the inflation story is not disastrous by any account,” she said. “It’s a little bit underwhelming, but it’s not disastrous yet.”

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ase-as-currency-faces-rerun-of-97-asia-crisis

Singapore’s central bank is poised to ease monetary policy for the second time in 2015 in an effort to revive dwindling growth, economists predict.
The Monetary Authority of Singapore, which manages the economy through guiding the currency rather than setting interest rates, will boost stimulus when it meets Wednesday, according to 16 of 25 economists surveyed by Bloomberg. The remainder predict no move. The MAS eased policy at an unscheduled meeting in January, saying it would seek to slow the pace of the local dollar’s gains versus its trading partners. At the first of this year’s two scheduled meetings in April, it refrained from further action.
Singapore’s economic performance has worsened since the April gathering. Analysts forecast the nation entered a technical recession in the third quarter, while consumer prices dropped for a 10th month in August, the longest streak of declines since the Asian financial crisis. Analysts predict the currency is on course for its worst year since 1997.

“The MAS has to acknowledge the fact that things have panned out worse than they expected, both in terms of growth, led by external factors, and inflation domestically,” said Nizam Idris, head of currencies and fixed-income strategy at Macquarie Bank Ltd. in Singapore. “The current policy setting does not allow for further depreciation of the Singapore dollar.”
Currency Band

The Monetary Authority guides the local currency against an undisclosed basket and adjusts the pace of appreciation or depreciation by changing the slope, width and center of a band. It refrains from disclosing details of the basket, the band, and the pace of appreciation or depreciation.
Nine economists predict the central bank will lower the center of the band, allowing the Singapore dollar to weaken in the near term. Ten forecast it would reduce the slope, slowing the pace of the currency’s appreciation against the basket over time. Four expect the monetary authority will widen the band, tolerating increased volatility.
“With inflation below the long-term average and growth slowing, this suggests that MAS should be in a position to ease policy,” said Khoon Goh, a senior currency strategist at Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd. “The easing that was done in January was a fairly modest one.”
The central bank will probably recenter its policy band to the prevailing rate, allowing the currency to weaken, he said.
Worst Year

Singapore’s dollar will decline to S$1.44 to the U.S. currency by year-end, according to the median estimate of a separate Bloomberg survey. That would translate into a loss of about 8 percent for the year, the worst annual performance since the currency tumbled 17 percent during the Asian crisis in 1997.

The local dollar was at S$1.4021 at 8:31 a.m. local time on Tuesday after depreciating to S$1.4366 on Oct. 2, the weakest level since September 2009.
Singapore’s export-dependent economy has been hurt by slowing growth in China, while uneven recoveries in the U.S. and Europe have damped demand for Asian goods.

Gross domestic product shrank 4 percent in the second quarter from the previous three months, the trade ministry said Aug. 11. GDP contracted 0.1 percent in the third quarter, according to a Bloomberg survey before the advance figures are released Wednesday. Consumer prices dropped 0.8 percent in August, the statistics department said Sept. 23.
‘Not Disastrous’

It will take more than a technical recession to convince the central bank to ease policy again, according to Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp.
The central bank is more concerned about “an outright recession, rather than a technical recession,” said Selena Ling, an analyst at OCBC in Singapore. The economy will still expand about 2 percent this year, she said.
“We still have about a more-than 50 percent chance of no move, mainly because I think the growth and the inflation story is not disastrous by any account,” she said. “It’s a little bit underwhelming, but it’s not disastrous yet.”

I believe it has already happened.... The rm went from 3.12 to 2.98 in a week. Almost 5% spring back, vis a vis the sing dollar.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who book holiday trips out of Singapore kena pay more for foreign currency exchange. Those who are emigrating also kena lose money, including those who renounced citizenship and are cashing out their full CPF monies. Bad timing for these fellows.

Most countries fiscal policy start by cutting interest rates before slashing their currency exchange rate which is really a last resort action. Too bad SG interests rates at 0% got no leeway room to go down anymore because they should have raise interest rates upwards to have some buffer wheny they had the chance.

hbk75

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could you explain why loans pegged to sibor would be affected? I thought SGD exchange rates directly affect the SOR and most mortgages are pegged to SOR nowadays.

when sgd weakens. investment monie will flow out causing increase cost in borrowing.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why I opened a USD$ account with Citbank. I get regular US$ dividends & I don't want to convert it to Sing$. I rather keep it in US$ & only convert when I need the $.

I may also be living out of Spore & will not need the Sing dollar.

hbk75

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those who book holiday trips out of Singapore kena pay more for foreign currency exchange. Those who are emigrating also kena lose money, including those who renounced citizenship and are cashing out their full CPF monies. Bad timing for these fellows.

Most countries fiscal policy start by cutting interest rates before slashing their currency exchange rate which is really a last resort action. Too bad SG interests rates at 0% got no leeway room to go down anymore because they should have raise interest rates upwards to have some buffer wheny they had the chance.

singapore uses exchange rates and not interest rates. could be quite useful previously but now everyone started printing money. such monetary policies will lose alot of money trying to keep sgd weak or strong.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the truth about the situation. Read the entire article.

Have you woken up yet, Sinkies? :cool:

THE GREAT TOMATO BUBBLE
http://tomatobubble.com/id39.html

I'll quote a relevant excerpt to help the dullards who don't have the habit of reading. :wink:

"Damn! I was afraid this might happen. Because we were doing so well, the game "overheated". The Tomato Note fell against the tomato. When that happens, the cost of playing goes up (inflation) and then a contraction occurs (recession). It's a natural cycle."

"So how do we allocate the remaining tomatoes?" John asks.

"Simple." I replied. "It's called currency devaluation. You four each have 200 notes in hand, and I have 160. That's a total of 960 notes in circulation (money supply). There are 10 tomatoes remaining. Divide the 960 notes by the remaining 10 tomatoes and the new cost of a tomato is therefore 96 notes (hyper-inflation). That means that your 200 notes can buy back 2 of the remaining 10 tomatoes for each of you."

The paper Tomato Note currency has lost its purchasing power (inflation, bubble bursting) and my 4 neighbors have each lost 8 of the original 10 tomatoes they had once owned. I walk away with 42 of the original 50 tomatoes. (real wealth)

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What does it matter?devaluate,inflate,either way the cost of living is still going to rise and we are still fucked anyway.the only way out is to accumulate as much high quality income producing assets as u can.blue chip dividend stocks.s reits,investment grade and high yield grade bond etfs and real estate.
Living in sinkieland is fucked,cost of living keeps risong while earning power declines.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
tomorrow, gdp data will be out. we will know, doesn't look good. besides, many economists have been expecting a weaker sgd.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
tomorrow, gdp data will be out. we will know, doesn't look good. besides, many economists have been expecting a weaker sgd.

GDP data can be manipulated aka "adjusted", the PAP govt have done it in the past to avoid technical recession, such as in 2012.

USD had risen to 1.43 early this month.

Hope the USD rise significantly on SGD by next year so that I can huat ah!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sibor went up even when fed have not done anything yet. so?

sibor went up cos' they were anticipating fed to hike rate but now, it was decided by the market sentiment. now, sibor won't rise further.