• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buggers can't guess weight of 8 $1 coins!?!?!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard this over the radio while driving home yesterday, and just read in on the internet earlier. Apparently, some parents weren't happy about the nature of this question, which is about estimating the weight of some coins (8 one dollar coins, to be exact) and was a multiple choice question. To me, it was an easy question - the choices were 6g, 60g, 600g, or 6kg. I guessed correctly when the DJs announced the question over the radio, I figured, 6 g is like almost nothing, 600g is MORE than half a kilogram , that's too heavy, has to be 60 grams then. This was easy! Now, it is troubling to find out that that PSLE (12 years old!) and worse still, adults have difficulty to guess this!!!! Hey, from all reports on education, I thought buggers here had good school grades! Guess I was wrong!

Cheers!

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...tion-on-1-coins-weighs-heavy-on-parents-minds

PSLE maths question on $1 coins weighs heavy on parents' minds

Published 7 hours ago

SINGAPORE (MY PAPER) - How heavy are eight $1 Singapore coins? Six grams, 60g, 600g or 6kg?
That question in the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) mathematics paper on Friday (Oct 2) has upset a number of people, including parents.
At least one person suggested the question is not related to maths and that it must have baffled many pupils sitting the exam, Chinese evening daily Shin Min Daily News reported on Tuesday.
The person, surnamed Lee, posted on the Ministry of Education's Facebook page seeking clarification.
"Are we having (an) IQ exam or maths exam?" wrote the Facebook user, who also believed there could be more than one answer since the candidates were not told the weight of each coin.
According to a mother whose letter was published by Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao, the exam question has generated a lot of discussion among parents.
"Our children found it difficult to answer," wrote Yin Xiuping, who said many pupils simply resorted to perception and estimation.
Some picked 600g because they had noticed how the pockets of their pants had sagged each time they placed coins in them, said Ms Yin.
Some based their answer on the belief that the weight of eight $1 coins is close to that of a 500ml mineral water bottle, she added.
But private tutors told Shin Min that such questions are not uncommon in primary school exams.
"The question is in line with the maths syllabus. For example, pupils are taught to estimate the weights of objects such as a watermelon," said Ann Tan.
Some teachers have even brought their pupils to supermarkets where they can check out some common items first-hand, added Ms Tan.
According to another tutor, who wanted to be known only as Ms Sng, many pupils still cannot answer such questions although they have appeared before in the PSLE.
"Some parents want their children to only attend classes, take tuition and do their homework... They are not even allowed to make purchases on their own. But maths is all around us and children should learn from their surroundings," said Ms Sng.
Ms Yin wrote: "The conclusion among parents from this question is that their children should be made to do more housework so they could acquire basic knowledge on life."
And the answer to the question? Based on a photo showing eight $1 coins on a weighing machine, which Shin Min got from a reader, the coins weigh 61g.
Netizens responding to Lee's original Facebook post appeared to be divided over the merits of the question.
User Cat Wu wrote that these type of questions have been the norm, while Sue Ng suggested it was to test "common sense".
The question was also featured by The New Paper, which found out - according to information from the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB)- that such multiple choice questions constitute a small percentage of the total marks in a paper, being worth either one or two marks.
A check of SEAB's syllabus also showed that one of the objectives for primary school curriculum is for pupils to be able to "develop ability to perform estimation".
The paper concluded that the question was asking pupils to show their ability to estimate.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
What has this got to do with math? Common sense probably, but clearly nothing to do with Math!

Whoever wrote this question must have been an Oppo supporter! :oIo:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is clearly a trick question since weight is measured in Newtons, not kilograms or grams. I hope some of the kids spotted this.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is clearly a trick question since weight is measured in Newtons, not kilograms or grams. I hope some of the kids spotted this.

from my experience in watching star trek,i believe newton is something more of a force exerted by a mass over a certain area multiplied by gravity,not exactly weight itself.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from my experience in watching star trek,i believe newton is something more of a force exerted by a mass over a certain area multiplied by gravity,not exactly weight itself.

You got your facts all mixed up.

1 Newton = the force needed to accelerate a mass of 1 kg to an acceleration of 1 m/s²

Thus, force in Newtons = mass x acceleration

Weight = gravitational force acting on a mass and accelerating it to g (acceleration due to gravity at sea level = 9.8 m/s²)

Thus, weight in Newtons = mass x g

JohnTan is right: weight is measure in N, mass in kg.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What has this got to do with math? Common sense probably, but clearly nothing to do with Math!
Whoever wrote this question must have been an Oppo supporter! :oIo:

You're right. It's not a maths question. It's a question based on a) common sense and b) personal experience.

Hold 8 dollar coins in your hand. Do they weigh like six 1-litre Coke bottles (6 kg)? Do they weigh like a plastic 5-ml teaspoon (6 g)? Do they weigh like 2 cans of Coke (600 g)?

You got your answer there.

You are wrong, too. Opposition supporters like myself have far superior maths ability to Pappy supporters on average. This question was definitely set by a porlumpah PAP-voting maths teacher who can't tell a maths question from Pinky's testicles. :biggrin:

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
These parents think by sending their kids to enrichment classes, they will excel in school...it does not work this way.....it takes moltivation, persistence, determination and good logic solving to get good grades and if the parents are not of such material, dont blame your kids. No matter how many millions you spend on textbooks aint going to help. Just look at this simple question.....lazy bugger parents start complaining....

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You're right. It's not a maths question. It's a question based on a) common sense and b) personal experience.

Hold 8 dollar coins in your hand. Do they weigh like six 1-litre Coke bottles (6 kg)? Do they weigh like a plastic 5-ml teaspoon (6 g)? Do they weigh like 2 cans of Coke (600 g)?

You got your answer there.

You are wrong, too. Opposition supporters like myself have far superior maths ability to Pappy supporters on average. This question was definitely set by a porlumpah PAP-voting maths teacher who can't tell a maths question from Pinky's testicles. :biggrin:

Such questions are seriously messing fcuking with the minds of kids.

I was taught in science lessons that weight is measured in newtons, not grams or kilograms. While street-talk may lump 'weight' and 'kilograms/gram' together, schools should know better than that. I think it is time I wrote a letter from the CCC to our minister of education.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such questions are seriously messing fcuking with the minds of kids.

I was taught in science lessons that weight is measured in newtons, not grams or kilograms. While street-talk may lump 'weight' and 'kilograms/gram' together, schools should know better than that. I think it is time I wrote a letter from the CCC to our minister of education.

in university physics classes, weight is considered a vectorial force of mass multiplied by acceleration and is thus measured in newtons. in the same university, liberal arts classes will consider weight as an object of avoidance but a subject of artistic liberty if a floral dress adorns it, psychology classes will regard weight as a powerful source of depression, and political science and pre-law classes will treat weight with sensitivity and care to avoid being sued. and there are pe classes which typically do not provide credits but they will respect weight as a force of nature especially in competitive boxing, mma, and wrestling. :p

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in university physics classes, weight is considered a vectorial force of mass multiplied by acceleration and is thus measured in newtons. in the same university, liberal arts classes will consider weight as an object of avoidance but a subject of artistic liberty if a floral dress adorns it, psychology classes will regard weight as a powerful source of depression, and political science and pre-law classes will treat weight with sensitivity and care to avoid being sued. and there are pe classes which typically do not provide credits but they will respect weight as a force of nature especially in competitive boxing, mma, and wrestling. :p

get the fuck out of here uncle tom. You would probably flunk the PSLE exam. nigger.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what? your butt is sore from the last bout and picking a fight now?

oh no nothing to do with anything else just that i am calling you out on your nasty BS trolling with fake psuedo "intellectual" babble. Also the last one well you didn't win anything so it's kind of weird you would act like i'm sore. Then again what kind we expect from an uncle tom nigger like you.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
oh no nothing to do with anything else just that i am calling you out on your nasty BS trolling with fake psuedo "intellectual" babble. Also the last one well you didn't win anything so it's kind of weird you would act like i'm sore. Then again what kind we expect from an uncle tom nigger like you.

that wasn't intellectual babble, it was sophomoric high school college talk.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
get the fuck out of here uncle tom. You would probably flunk the PSLE exam. nigger.

He obviously won the debate or you wouldn't be behaving in such a manner.

You're a sore loser. Stick to your photography and give us more great images please.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now you know how vile pappies can garner 70%.
And how supposedly brilliant scholars like keechiu and Zorro who got the best academic qualifications from the top education institutions in the world end up sounding and acting like ah Beng clowns.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He obviously won the debate or you wouldn't be behaving in such a manner.

You're a sore loser. Stick to your photography and give us more great images please.

nope he didn't it's all there to see and i posted that to him not because of that thread you twit.