• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Must Read!] NUS research already identified the "Sinkie gene" in before GE15

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[Must Read!] NUS research already identified the "Sinkie gene" before GE15

Could your genes dictate your political leaning?

Study finds robust link between the presence (or not) of a gene variant and a split between liberals inclined to decry inequality, on the one hand, and die-hard conservative wary of change

Bush_family_3397905b.jpg

The Bush dynasty, L-R, Texas Governor (and later US president) George W. Bush, Florida Governor and current US presidential candidate Jeb Bush and former US president George HW Bush. The study suggests that genetics are a factor in defining political outlook, in addition to family upbringing, education and class.Photo: AFP/Getty

AFP
6:26AM BST 05 Aug 2015

Aristotle may have been more on the money than he realised in saying man is a political animal, according to research published on Wednesday linking genes with liberal or conservative leanings.

Or, to be precise, a specific variant of one gene that would seem to exert greater sway over women than men.

Working with 1771 university students of Han Chinese origin in Singapore, researchers compared answers to surveys - including one tailored to hot-button issues in the city-state - with the presence of a permutation of the DRD4 gene.

DRD4 is one of several genes that determines the way dopamine - a crucial neurotransmitter, or chemical messenger - is released in the brain.

What they found was a robust link between the presence (or not) of the variant and a split between liberals inclined to decry inequality, on the one hand, and die-hard conservative wary of change, on the other.

"The association between political attitude and DRD4 was highly significant for females," and less so for men, said the study, led by Richard Ebstein of the National University of Singapore.

Women, it was also shown, tended to be more conservative in general.

The results are bolstered by earlier research based on people of European descent that found similar patterns around the same gene, according to the study.

In the long-standing "Nature vs. Nurture" debate, it was long assumed that social values - and especially political ones - were rooted in family upbringing, education and class.

But a growing body of evidence suggests, in the words of the researchers, that "biology can't be ignored."

A landmark study published in 1999, for example, of twins separated at or near birth showed a marked strain of heritability for 'conservatism'.

The brain is wired with several distinct dopamine pathways, including one related to the risk-taking - arguably a parallel to the liberal-conservative dichotomy.

From an evolutionary standpoint, risk-taking is a complicated business: in some situations, it may enhance one's chances of success or survival, and in others it may spell doom.

In the study, the researchers used standard questionnaires to rate conservative or liberal tendencies, making it easier to compare with earlier efforts to uncover links between genes and attitudes.

At the same time, to adjust for cultural variations from one country to another, they also devised a survey based on local issues known to divide opinion in Singapore along political lines.

One set of questions, for example, asked the students - half men, half women with a mean age of 21 - to take positions on sensitive environmental and animal rights issues.

The correlation with the genetic variations was especially strong on these points.

"Our results provide evidence," Mr Ebstein and colleagues conclude, "for a role of the DRD4 gene variants in contributing to individual differences in political attitude, particularly in females."

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So it's official -- dominant Han Chinese race are ball-less people who are frogs in boiling water. In the face of the 6.9 million PWP, 10% gst to help the poor, Cpf lock up, social injustice etc... we still vote for Pappies.

That's why I urge good singaporean sons and daughters like Lim tean, Nicole seah, He ting ru, Leon pereria, Hazel poa, Paul tambyah to give up their political ideal.

The people of this country is not worth your time and effort. You can't fight genetics...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For fans of World of Darkness RPG Vampire series, it's the Ventrue mentality vs the Brujah mentality. Look it up. :wink:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now we know. There isn't much hope for the 70%, is there? Nature wins this time.

It's also nurture. Your religious beliefs and political persuasions, and even the kind of food preferences are often influenced by the people who have brought you up.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's also nurture. Your religious beliefs and political persuasions, and even the kind of food preferences are often influenced by the people who have brought you up.

True, but I feel nature has a stronger influence than nurture, maybe in the region of 70:30.

You'll find people from the same background - religious, education, class – having very different political leanings. One may be a bleeding heart fighting for social justice, the other fears change and believes in every man for himself.

How do you explain why Taiwanese and Koreans and Hongkongers have all moved up the democratic ladder, while we are still stuck here in a tyranny, despite all 4 dragon economies having started on the same footing, thus having similar socio-economic and cultural (Confucian) background?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
True, but I feel nature has a stronger influence than nurture, maybe in the region of 70:30.

You'll find people from the same background - religious, education, class – having very different political leanings. One may be a bleeding heart fighting for social justice, the other fears change and believes in every man for himself.

How do you explain why Taiwanese and Koreans and Hongkongers have all moved up the democratic ladder, while we are still stuck here in a tyranny, despite all 4 dragon economies having started on the same footing, thus having similar socio-economic and cultural (Confucian) background?

Mainstream media and education system are also part of the 'nurturing' process. Sinkies have been bombarded with pro-PAP propaganda since young. Most succumb to the brainwashing.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont forget singapore is highly religious,almost to a scary extent compared to the other chinese colonies hong kong and taiwan,even mainland china.hong kong has the lowest level of religion at only around 23 percent,taiwan at about 45 percent while china is extremely low at 14 percent,singapore comes in at a staggering 70 percent.

over the years,the trends have changed,the old generations of buddhist and taoist religious folks have given way to the younger generations of christian believers but nothing has changed,they simply traded one religion for another.in fact this is prove that there is something wrong with the genetic makeup of sinkies,that forces them to seek out a religion depending on the current trends and languages,like a gene that induces them to be conservative,submissive,illogical and irrational.

sinkies also display a herdlike mentality,a willingness to conform and not stand out or break the status quo for fear of god knows what,even when faced with severe injustice or harmful policies.

how do u explain a population that is so fearful,superstitious,stucked in traditional,illogical,delusional ways and beliefs,homophobic,conservative,resistant against change,stubborn,daft and stupid.

this is not the type of society we believe to be liberal,egalitarian and progressive,

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mainstream media and education system are also part of the 'nurturing' process. Sinkies have been bombarded with pro-PAP propaganda since young. Most succumb to the brainwashing.

That is a pathetic state of being a human being due to the greed and power-lusting of a few.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nope. cannot be. my political sympathies and leaning change with time and circumstance. for example, when i was a college student and someone else was paying the bills, i leaned democrat. when i volunteered part time at an ngo and got rewarded pittance or next to nothing, i leaned democrat. when i worked at the library part time and got paid minimum wage, i leaned democrat. when i started my career, worked and paid taxes as a professional, i leaned republican. now that i have paid off my homes, continue to work in the field i enjoy, and pay the highest bracket in income tax, i lean republican. when i finally fully retire and get to enjoy my 401k funds, medicare and social security, i may lean democrat again. but if they put up new measures to fund welfare, failing public schools and housing for the poor, i will certainly vote republican.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are religious folks who also shed their religious beliefs when they grow up or reach an age of maturity and independent thinking say age 13.
And then theres salman rushdie,famous author,no matter how much u threaten his life,could never bring himself to accept islam and betray his own logical brain.

i hate to admit this but amos yee the prick is one example of those who shed his religion in his later years.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nope. cannot be. my political sympathies and leaning change with time and circumstance. for example, when i was a college student and someone else was paying the bills, i leaned democrat. when i volunteered part time at an ngo and got rewarded pittance or next to nothing, i leaned democrat. when i worked at the library part time and got paid minimum wage, i leaned democrat. when i started my career, worked and paid taxes as a professional, i leaned republican. now that i have paid off my homes, continue to work in the field i enjoy, and pay the highest bracket in income tax, i lean republican. when i finally fully retire and get to enjoy my 401k funds, medicare and social security, i may lean democrat again. but if they put up new measures to fund welfare, failing public schools and housing for the poor, i will certainly vote republican.

republicans and pappie lovers dont change their spots,once you are one at heart,u are forever one.

its like homosexuals.theres no turning back.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are turncoats. case in point - tan springbok. knew he was a commie at heart. :p

then again its hard to say what PAP stands for.it may have had some left leaning tendencies back in the early days when some of the genuine good pioneers were still around,but once they were weeded out....

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
then again its hard to say what PAP stands for.it may have had some left leaning tendencies back in the early days when some of the genuine good pioneers were still around,but once they were weeded out....

or they can easily increase the "anti-corruption" pay to $2m and convert the staunchest commie to conservative capitalist. :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
or they can easily increase the "anti-corruption" pay to $2m and convert the staunchest commie to conservative capitalist. :biggrin:

A true commie like tan kah kkee even when he became filthy rich will seek to devote his wealth and power and his life to helping his country men and the overseas chinese diaspora,even in risking his life in the war effort.

These 2millionaires are merely pay puppets devoid of values and ideals.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The reason is cos singkies r majority Hokkeins. They are the ones tat spread the virtues of kiasu kia see kia bor kiam siup. Die dont want face belief to everyone. Look at all the bs reasons given for voting pap. The hokkein attitude sums it up.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I suspect also that with the decimation of the political left in the '60s (Op Coldstore, etc), the gene pool may have become gradually dominated by the variant conservative gene as Pappy cronies climbed the social ladder, commanded higher pay and status, and became more desirable life partners, thus passing on their fascist-leaning genes.

PAP brainwashing has also de-ideologised 2 generations of S'poreans, making them a pragmatic kiasu kiasi people who do not have political principles or ideals, but merely vote based on vested interests and maintaining the status quo if it benefits them.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

People like you straddle the middle and typically belong to the swing voters' group. These don't have very strong political ideals and tend to vote based on vested self-interests, and hence swing to one side or the other depending on which phase of life they're going through and their financial and social station at the time.

In the typical case, as the swing voter establishes himself in his career and becomes financially stronger with advancing years, the tendency is to swing from left to right as he has more to lose with leftist policies and disruption to the status quo. But it's always centre-left to centre-right, never the extremes.