• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Frog populations are dwindling to extinction

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was in primary school, my dad sometimes would go with some uncles to catch frogs - to eat! What else? We're Chinese!

These were found in wetlands, and banks of rivers and streams. They were a local species, much smaller than the American Bullfrogs you see served at local eateries today. They'd go in the evenings at sunset after dinner and come home by midnight. The following morning, some cousins would be around to help skin them, and then the hind legs would've been stir fried with ginger and chillies, and eaten with porridge. This doesn't happen anymore, not because you could now buy frogs from the market, but because I think the frogs are extinct! I haven't seen a frog in the wild in years! Not only have their natural habitat been destroyed, but probably their breeding population must've dwindled so badly that their populations were not able to propagate. I don't know what they are called in English, but its description in Teochew translates to "water chicken." The article below describes a possible global scenario which has already taken place in Singapore.

Cheers!

http://www.ibtimes.com/frog-species-are-becoming-extinct-alarming-rates-new-study-says-2128065

Frog Species Are Becoming Extinct At Alarming Rates, New Study Says

By Jackie Salo @Jackie_Salo [email protected] on October 05 2015 9:05 PM EDT

Frog species are on the decline, according to a new study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, which estimates that at least 3.1 percent of frog populations have gone extinct since the 1970s and predicts that another 6.9 percent may disappear within the next century.
The study, from Macquarie University in Sydney, found that 200 of the world's 6,355 frog species went extinct between the 1960s and 1990s.
"That's pretty bad, because if you project that forward for the next couple of centuries, you end up with a percentage which would resemble a mass extinction," John Alroy, the study's author and associate professor at the university's biology department, told the Sydney Morning Herald.
Alroy attributed the large losses of species partially to global warming but said that the majority of them had been been lost due to other factors, such as fungus and pollution.
"The losses are coming from the introduction of invasive species, the spread of a fungus called BD (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis), habitat destruction and, potentially, pollution," he said.
In Papua, New Guinea, the decline in frog species may be due to deforestation, Alroy said. Frogs native to Central America and Brazil are particularly vulnerable. Species saw large losses since the BD fungus threatens populations there.
Madagascar saw 11 percent of frogs become extinct in the 30-year period studied by Alroy's team, but frogs do not seem to be in danger on the African mainland. Frogs were also largely unaffected in areas such as Europe, the United States and Southeast Asia.
But Alroy said that more research needs to be conducted to determine what is threatening the frog population at such alarming rates. He hopes that the report, which will be published Tuesday, will prompt other studies.
“Honest to goodness, I don’t know what’s going on,” Alroy told the Washington Post. “The pattern seems to be that there are more extinctions in the wet tropics, speaking very loosely, which is not too surprising because that’s where all the biodiversity is. But that doesn’t really answer the question of what’s going on.”

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in the days after heavy rain you will find frog or toad eggs in puddles of water.
Soon enough they will hatch and we kids would go catch those tadpoles.....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pervert I know what you did to those tadpoles. Some of today's frogs look like you.

I was too young then still sexually inactive.
We would bring them home and put them in the fish tank and watch them grow hind legs and finally transform to frogs. Some would get eaten by the fishes along the way while others matured and hopped out all over the house and we were forced to release them back

Happyhour

Alfrescian
Loyal
We would bring them home and put them in the fish tank and watch them grow hind legs and finally transform to frogs. Some would get eaten by the fishes along the way while others matured and hopped out all over the house and we were forced to release them back

Oh so its not you who is the guilty party. Sorry my bad.

kopirui

Alfrescian
Loyal

why do you feed the young tadpods with?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back in the days after heavy rain you will find frog or toad eggs in puddles of water.

Wow!..way back then, I would collect a few, together with the water in a Jam Jar, & keep them aside & there were occasion they turn into tiny black frogs, or toads? don't know...I just please them back to the drains...that's life cycle; but all these life cycles are destroyed by urbanisation & cleanliness....the drains these days contains so much chemicals & pollutants, nothing much can survive , unless they mutate.

Maybe the 70% voters, are the 'frogs in the drains'..mutated...ha ha ha ha psst! not "Teenage Mutant....." whatever..:rolleyes:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tadpoles were common when I was a kid. Don't see them anymore. Once in a rare while, I come across a toad by the roadside or in some grassy area, but I don't see frogs anymore. Don't know if this is so in the catchment areas, but they are definitely very very rare nowadays.

Cheers!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there's a population resurgence of crickets, dragonflies and frogs at marina by the bay. frogs and toads cum out at sunset to croak.