• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Uber's days might be numbered in Singapore

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Car-sharing apps will be reviews, regulators say.
Singapore is closing in on private car-sharing apps like uberX, as these apps produce an unfair advantage over regular cab drivers.
According to a blog post by Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan, car-sharing apps like uberX need to be reviewed in order to level the transport playing field.
"Apparently, uberX signs on drivers to drive private hire cars to provide a booking type of transport service, and these drivers do not need a vocational licence unlike taxi drivers. While taxi drivers welcome competition, they demand that the playing field be level. I think our taxi drivers have a point," Minister Khaw said.
However, Minister Khaw also said that countries which have banned such apps have been "hasty in their judgment".
“We must not resist new innovations and new business models. Our instinct must be to flow with the time, keep an open mind to innovations. But we must always be fair to players, whether incumbent or insurgents, and strike a balanced approach,” he said.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is wayang again.
Beginning uber was not even able to enter Sg market.....after big shot was made partner immediately it went into business here. Nothing will happen to uber because it got a fairy god mother here

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its not level playing field because no idiot is going to pay $140 rental a day and add unnecessary expenses to their cost of business which in turn will be passed down to consumers and make their cost skyhigh and forcing drivers to work longer hours just to feed the fatass corporate monopoly cats.

$140 a day is equal to nearly 50k a year.even buying a private car coe is 5 times cheaper.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you can get uber car at rental rate of $50 a day. see the difference of payin high rental for your taxi!!!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. It means uber cars will soon be rented out at $140 a day. Everyone happy. Win-win-win for everyone. Khaw is wise indeed. :smile:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is wayang again.
Beginning uber was not even able to enter Sg market.....after big shot was made partner immediately it went into business here. Nothing will happen to uber because it got a fairy god mother here

who are the papigs made partners??????????

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is wayang again.

PAP supports many monopolies such as NTUC, Singtel, SMRT,... because they are famiLee run businesses:rolleyes:

I was wondering why they allowed Uber into Spore. It is after all competition to monopolies like NTUC & SMRT taxis. So who is the lucky fairy or fairies:confused:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is wayang again.
Spot on. I am with you on this. Auntie Ho cannot be ignored. Who is KBW?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uber and Grab car will find it tough to survive here. While some drivers make good money, the majority aren't. The ones making good money are the car rental companies and Uber. Latter takes 20% cut of the fares which are comparable to taxi fares if no surge pricing. An old 1600cc car easily fetches $2100 a month. Drivers use petrol not diesel. They can't stop for passengers on the road. Contrast this with countries whereby drivers own their own vehicles. The $2100 that can be saved, or whatever amount after deducting monthly instalments, goes a long way in making Uber driving more lucrative. Not the S'pore model, imo.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spot on. I am with you on this. Auntie Ho cannot be ignored. Who is KBW?

KBW knows his place and this is just wayang not to lose too many taxi drivers votes.....
KBW is new transport minister so must be seen to be doing something......he never promise will solve the problem.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP supports many monopolies such as NTUC, Singtel, SMRT,... because they are famiLee run businesses:rolleyes:

I was wondering why they allowed Uber into Spore. It is after all competition to monopolies like NTUC & SMRT taxis. So who is the lucky fairy or fairies:confused:

just curious does singapore even have free market at all and welcome competition or is the entire economy dominated by state owned enterprises.does the daft and sinkie population care about this at all when it impacts their future and the economy's role in sinkies lives.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KBW knows his place and this is just wayang not to lose too many taxi drivers votes.....
KBW is new transport minister so must be seen to be doing something......he never promise will solve the problem.

Yes and he wants to be kawans with those slogging day and night in SMRT depots. Should give this MF an Oscar award. Straits Times labelled him Mr Fix It. What a joke. If true, the ministers before him in Health and MND needs to be shot.

The way things are going, he is in-the-running for a DPM post.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think you all are over speculating, i foresee that cow will make the uber drivers go for taxi licence crash course, maybe an easier version made available for them.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uber and Grab car will find it tough to survive here. While some drivers make good money, the majority aren't. The ones making good money are the car rental companies and Uber. Latter takes 20% cut of the fares which are comparable to taxi fares if no surge pricing. An old 1600cc car easily fetches $2100 a month. Drivers use petrol not diesel. They can't stop for passengers on the road. Contrast this with countries whereby drivers own their own vehicles. The $2100 that can be saved, or whatever amount after deducting monthly instalments, goes a long way in making Uber driving more lucrative. Not the S'pore model, imo.

but if taxi drivers rent a uber car their base cost of doing business will immediately be lower,much lower,they only have to pay $50 rental,it doesnt take too many fares to recoup the rental fee.and the fact they cant stop for passengers on the road doesnt matter,it means they dont have to waste fuel going around scouting for passengers since they can simply park somewhere and wait for calls,the gps app makes them instantly accessible and easy to locate.just park in a busy neighbourhood or near shopping malls and wait.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
its not level playing field because no idiot is going to pay $140 rental a day and add unnecessary expenses to their cost of business which in turn will be passed down to consumers and make their cost skyhigh and forcing drivers to work longer hours just to feed the fatass corporate monopoly cats.

$140 a day is equal to nearly 50k a year.even buying a private car coe is 5 times cheaper.

What fucking fairy land you live in? I can see u don't own car in singapore. SOme of my relatives are taxi drivers for many years. Firstly, the $140 a day rate is almost never paid by the driver. Most share the cab with another part time driver. So, at most, maybe they pay $90 a day. On top of that, the car insurance is paid by the cab company as well as car repairs and maintenance items like oil changes. Add to the fact that drivers use their taxis as de facto family cars without having to pay the COE, to ferry their relatives around, in the end, its the most economical way to have a vehicle. Just without having to pay the COE already saves them $8000 a year if the COE is $80,000. If they have Uber to add more customers per day for them, its even better to defray the rental.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I beg to differ, car ownership in singapore is one of the highest in the world. whatever you can do to reduce that and turn your car into an income earning vehicle helps. If your work schedule allows you to turn your car into an Uber taxi a couple of hours a day, so what? Even if you give 20% to Uber, that's 80% you keep. Good luck trying to flag a taxi down in Orchard road area before midnight. All the fuckers avoid you to wait for the 50% surcharge. I rather call Uber to see if there is a car nearby that will pick me up.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

What fucking fairy land you live in? I can see u don't own car in singapore. SOme of my relatives are taxi drivers for many years. Firstly, the $140 a day rate is almost never paid by the driver. Most share the cab with another part time driver. So, at most, maybe they pay $90 a day. On top of that, the car insurance is paid by the cab company as well as car repairs and maintenance items like oil changes. Add to the fact that drivers use their taxis as de facto family cars without having to pay the COE, to ferry their relatives around, in the end, its the most economical way to have a vehicle. Just without having to pay the COE already saves them $8000 a year if the COE is $80,000. If they have Uber to add more customers per day for them, its even better to defray the rental.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

yes we know most taxis are driven by two shifts,thanks for pointing that out captain obvious.that goes to show how ridiculous expensive the rental is isnt it that u need two drivers to drive that damn thing 18 to 22 hours a day just to cover the cost of renting that thing.car repairs and maintenance cost so much??what about economies of scale?since the company services and repair thousands of taxi shouldnt it be cheaper?why the fuck does it cost 50k a year just to maintain and repair a car?i google the least maintenance and repair cars,toyotas and suzukis only require 5 to 9 cents per km of maintenance.can car owners share their experience?wtf 9 cents of maintenance per km times 100,000km is only about $9000.most taxi drivers dont even cover that much in one year.we know sinkies are lazy as fuck,they are so fucking lazy that LTA has to implement a rule that taxi drivers must meet a requirement of 250km a day and still only 70 percent of taxi drivers meet the requirement,that means 30 percent of them dont fucking meet the requirements and are out there goofing it off.

Last edited: