• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

See how PAP turned Josephus Tan from an asshole to a great man today

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
10408186_1546141805662681_5011341514298870639_n.jpg

A CNY Trilogy of Grief & Closure - Part 3 (The Song Of The Prodigal Son)

When you sent me to primary school on your grey Vespa scooter, I always wanted you to drop me off about 10 metres away from the school gate cos' I was ashamed. You looked funny with your half-cut red helmet and me in the white. Once my feet touched the ground, I ran for my life. I was hoping that none of my friends saw. I rather take the public bus but you persisted and thought it's convenient and cute. To me, you were an utter embarrassment.

When I kept getting red marks for my exams, I ran up to you at the lift lobby when you were about to leave for work at the dough factory in the middle of the night and asked you to sign my report book without telling mother. You would always signed it and asked me to do better next time while I was just busy thinking about where to hide my report book till the next morning. When mother eventually found out, you fought with her in my defence. Honestly, I didn't care.

When you attended the annual Hungry Ghost Festival dinner at the void deck, you always wanted me to go with mother instead. You knew I like to eat. Though I refused, I would still run up to you and mother for a quick bite while playing nearby. Instead of eating, you left behind your share for me. When you brought back the discarded bread from the factory and told us it's still edible I thought you were a beggar.

When you asked me whether I could get into the "Express Stream" I always said yes. It was a lie. When you shouted at me threatening to break my leg if I ever get into the "Normal Stream" I wasn't afraid. I knew I would do badly but it didn't matter cos' you ain't a role model in my eyes anyway. When it's time to collect the PSLE result, my first thought was to run away from home. Then you called in the morning from your security post and told me "Boy, whatever it is, remember to come home."

When I started mixing with bad company, you shouted and threatened to beat me up. I became worse and ran away from home at will. I stole, fought, gambled, got wasted, and rather be with my friends than to be at home. I heard you went around looking for me at one point but I wasn't impressed. You were uneducated, uncouth, a has-been gangster, a braggart, and poor. You were also naggy and enjoyed telling lame jokes in front of my friends at my expense.

When I did badly for my 'O Level', you suggested to me to take up the 'A Level' as a private candidate. But I wanted to be a rock star and study music or theatre. You insisted that I enrolled in a private school and so I did. To repay your insistence, I would marked my attendance, changed out from my uniform, and then joined my band friends in the music studio. I didn't even turn up for most of my papers. School's out and sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll were definitely in.

When I became aimless in life and a depressive alcoholic, you told me that I should drink at home instead in case of trouble. I didn't care. And true enough, when the police called in the middle of the night telling you that I had jumped out from a moving taxi and landed by the road kerb totally wasted, you and mother quickly came to the scene and brought me home. In the process, you sprained your back. I could have landed in the lock-up that night. But I wasn't grateful and kept on.

Then the unthinkable happened which changed my life forever.

I went into an alcoholic rage. I turned the house outside down and I became violent to everyone in sight. I beat up my girlfriend and I almost beat you up too. Then, we were living on the 23rd floor of a rented apartment. I almost threw my girlfriend and myself off the building till you swiftly wrestled me to the ground and gave me two tight slaps. I cried and passed out. You never hit me in my entire life no matter how rotten I was. But that day you did. And it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I woke up a few hours later and witnessed the carnage I had caused. You sat there puffing away on your cigarettes. Your brand was "Consulate" and the ashtray was full. I lighted a stick of "Camel" and sat beside you. We didn't speak or look at each other. As you extinguished your cigarette, you asked in your broken Mandarin mixed with Hokkien "Boy, what's hurting inside you so much? Didn't we give you our best?" I kept quiet as tears rolled down my face. Then came the words of wisdom from an uneducated man "Boy, have you ever been good for once? You've been bad all these years but have you ever try to be good to yourself? Try doing good and then decide."

I kept quiet throughout and went back into my room. Then, I had lost complete faith in everyone and everything. Myself included. I was godless and fearless and neither had the respect for my loved ones nor the authorities. It's either prison or death in a matter of time. I had hit rock bottom and I was only 22 years old. But somewhat I just uttered a silent prayer in my heart to whoever's up there asking for a change. And in the next few days, the healing began.

I stayed off the bottle for a start. Then one day, I chanced upon an advertisement in the papers promoting an external diploma in law programme from the University of London. Something clicked instantly. I then asked you for a chance to study again. You stared at me and scoffed. Understandably so. I begged again and you relented and gave me the $8000+ for the 1-year night course. To show my sincerity, I started to work odd jobs to get the momentum going.

I eventually passed and once again asked you for a chance to take it further in the UK. This time, it's at least $150k (when the exchange rate was at the highest at 3:1). There were a lot of reservations from all quarters but I knew you were hopeful. An education loan from the bank was subsequently taken with additional personal loans from the relatives. You were a prideful man so I knew how much of a beating it must had been for you and mother to secure all these.

I was excited but yet afraid - to disappoint again. During the send-off, you came and stood a distance from the group picture. I was expecting an emotional reaction but you kept a sullen face and said "Study hard ah and don't drink and do stupid things!". As I turned back and waved goodbye at the checkpoint, you promptly walked away first. That was you. Ever so proud and always acting so "macho". But deep down, I knew you were just a big friendly giant.

And as they all say, the rest is history.

After I became a lawyer, you once said in your usual broken Mandarin mixed with Hokkien "Boy, don't ever be arrogant. Lawyer only. Don't look down on people and don't just think about money. No money never mind but must have style!" It was our lingo. I always knew you as the man with a golden heart albeit the harsh choice of words and uncouth behaviour. At a young age, you showed me that there is always "honour amongst thieves". I didn't understand it but now I do.

And because of you, I knew what a second chance truly meant. You never gave up on me. Not even once. I was the most rebellious kid but yet you doted on me the most. You once said I was just like you when you were young. You didn't just believe in me but you believe with me and that changed my life. And because of you and your philosophy of life, I am now able to help and give hope to many out there. You are the unsung hero behind me that many do not know of.

As today marks your 71st birthday and also the eve of CNY, I just want to say "Pa, happy birthday and thank you for everything! Though CNY will never be the same without you but take heart that your legacy is with me now. With every passing CNY, I promise you that more lives will be saved and more love will be shared. For as long as I shall live, my love for the underprivileged will never fail. Just like your love for me."

People, thanks for reading and liking my trilogy. I hope this CNY is as meaningful for you as it is for me. May you truly find what you seek in this coming Year of the Goat! And don't forget to treasure your loved ones! Good health, good luck, and everybody HUAT AH!!!!!

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: See how PAP made Josephus Tan from an asshole to a great man today

10978649_1545706015706260_1858606389877657612_n.jpg

A CNY Trilogy of Grief & Closure - Part 2 (Desperate Piety For The Dying)

It's been exactly 2 years now since his passing. But it still feels like yesterday to me. In the preceding 12 months or so, my father was going in and out of the hospital every few weeks. Sometimes, he stayed for a few months straight. It's a very painful and trying period for all of us. Especially my mother. He was slowly losing his will to live. But like most seniors in their dying years, they always wish to go home to be with their loved ones. Dying in the hospital will always be the last option. The doctors advised us that he could go home once he's strong enough to do so. Anything short of that would only shortened his mortality.

So one night an idea came to me - why not buy a Mercedes to encourage him? Back in the early 80s, my father used to drive a Mercedes E200 during his business heydays. But it was short-lived. During my younger days, he would always tell me how fortunate I am cos' I was born during the time when his cleaning and security business was doing well. So I got to enjoy being ferried to my "branded" kindergarten (it was a private Catholic school) in his white Mercedes. But after his bankruptcy, life went downhill. He simply couldn't afford a Mercedes right till his death.

So I began searching online and found a used red Mercedes C180 (I was the 3rd owner). Against any fiscal logic, I bought it and took up the maximum loan allowed. On hindsight, I shouldn't have cos' it's simply beyond my means. And contrary to what most believe, my so-called "fame" really does not commensurate with what I actually earned since it is always about pro bono which largely attracted the underprivileged folks.

Then I went to visit my father in the hospital and showed him the pictures without telling him that I had purchased it. I said "Pa, get well soon and I'll come and bring you home in the Mercedes k?" He gave a weak smile and said "Red not nice lah. White is better." I smiled back but fell short of telling him that the red one was all that I could really afford. Red was never my fave colour till now.

A few weeks later, his condition actually improved! And as promised, I drove the newly purchased car to Block 5 of the SGH to pick him up. Throughout the journey home, he kept quiet. So did the rest of us. I hope he enjoyed the ride as much as the rest of us that day. Upon reaching my younger brother's flat at Simei, he said "Remember to go buy 4D ah." The old car plate number was "1906". It was his favorite past time cos' he always wanted to strike it big once and for all and leave behind the money for his children. Perhaps it's his way of making up to the family for his past failures.

A few months later, my rental lease was expiring and up for renewal at an increment of $100 per month. It's a studio apartment and the rent was manageable. But I thought why not take this opportunity to rent a bigger place and live with my parents? I thought in his final years it would have been nice to get him a place with a "kampung" flavour. He was a kampung boy after all. It came with a sizeable garden and a backyard and is situated beside a park.

So I took up another loan to finance a higher rent and to renovate the place to make it elder friendly with anti-slip bathroom tiles and slope gratings as he was wheelchair bound then. I also reorganized the garden and engaged a caregiver for 2 years. Everybody thought I was mad to renovate a rented place and to do all these on a loan. It didn't make any financial sense but it felt like the right thing to do. It's probably akin to my father's rationale of buying 4D.

So the day finally arrived for us to move in. In typical Chinese tradition, the inhabitants must cross over a fire charcoal stove for good tidings while wearing and/or holding all their valuables and precious items. Since I'm now technically the "man of the house", I would go first. I lifted my father off his wheelchair and wearing only my court attire and did the crossing together. Then, he had shrank to a bag of bones from a good 80kg to around 50kg and had a urine bag attached to him. As we crossed, he looked at me in the eyes and for once, he looked defeated. I knew he would have preferred to cross over himself if he's in a better shape. That moment is permanently etched in my memory.

My last attempt was short-lived just like his white Mercedes. For the next 3 months leading up to his passing, he kept going in and out of the hospital. The ambulance would picked him up and a few days later my red Mercedes would ferried him back. On some mornings I lifted him down to the living room and then lifted him back up in the evenings. It's better than to be cooped up in a room. Every such moment was bittersweet to say the least.

Finally one day, he checked into the hospital and never came back. On 17 February 2013 at about 5am, the nurse walked into the SICU waiting area and woke us up. She said my father had woken up from his comatose state. My younger brother, my wife, and I hurried in. He looked fresh and glared at us but he could barely speak. I leaned over and said "Pa, just one more day. It will be your birthday tomorrow so please just hold for a while more!" I kept asking and giving him the thumbs-up "Can? Can?" He nodded. So we left the ward. By then, it's almost dawn and it's time for my mother and elder brother to take over the shift.

At around 1pm, I got "that" call from my mother. She said "Come now!" By the time I reached, he's flatlined. I was the last to arrive. Everybody around me was weeping then. In fact, I became the efficient one for once. I arranged for the undertaker, signed the death certificate, and collected his body from the mortuary. I didn't shed a year until the entire funeral was over. From the car, the house to the celebratory article the day before and my late arrival, it didn't make sense to me. Was this a cruel joke I thought? I was angry more than I was sad.

As I offered my prayers this morning with my mother and younger brother, I felt an inner peace. It's time to let go...

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ask him don't chut pattern lah.

PR exercise want to get more clients lah.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Josephus is a great example of the meritocratic society PAP created for us. If you are willing to work hard, even if you came from a humble background or you are a screw up in your younger days, you can still turn your life around. From Josephus' life story, it is clear that he made it without relying on connections or family money. If not for PAP leading Singapore, Josephus today may have been dead long time ago in some gangland fight, or still cleaning toilets with the bangalas. Thank God for PAP!

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

tumblr_n42qvressB1t0taiso6_500.jpg

[video=youtube;dDi6LqmOQYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDi6LqmOQYo[/video]

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

is this guy now an mp right? Which grc?

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

Josephus is a great example of the meritocratic society PAP created for us. If you are willing to work hard, even if you came from a humble background or you are a screw up in your younger days, you can still turn your life around. From Josephus' life story, it is clear that he made it without relying on connections or family money. If not for PAP leading Singapore, Josephus today may have been dead long time ago in some gangland fight, or still cleaning toilets with the bangalas. Thank God for PAP!

what fuck without relying on connection u talking ?

he chose to join the PAP is precisely due to the fact that he would be well
connected in the future.

why he did not join any other party ?
he knew from this connection with the PAP
he would get a lot of convenient and advantage in personal ventures.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ya la really want to fight for underprivileged then join opposition and fight

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

He still looks like an asshole to me. I would pay 10 bucks to watch him wrestle with Pritam Singh.